• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nokia Lumia |OT| Worth the Weight

kharma45

So I've just joined the Windows Phone club having just got myself a 920. So far I'm really liking the phone. I love the tiles, so fantastic to navigate around. One thing that did confuse me is the lack of watch-type features, such as stop watch and timer.

Is there a website or app or something along the lines of a database/gallery of wallpapers for the lock screen?

Search for Timer. Does a decent job despite the WP8 limitations which are described on the description for it.

So I've just joined the Windows Phone club having just got myself a 920. So far I'm really liking the phone. I love the tiles, so fantastic to navigate around. One thing that did confuse me is the lack of watch-type features, such as stop watch and timer.

Is there a website or app or something along the lines of a database/gallery of wallpapers for the lock screen?
Defiantly get Locksider. It should have a trial, But if You get the full version You Van have it embed the weather into the lockscreen image on the top left corner.

Not to mention they tend to have some really Nice images.

zedge

Took my 920 to Rogers today to send for repair. The dust building up in the FFC was getting pretty noticeable. I have a feeling they will just clean it out and send it back but hope I'm wrong and they actually fix it.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Took my 920 to Rogers today to send for repair. The dust building up in the FFC was getting pretty noticeable. I have a feeling they will just clean it out and send it back but hope I'm wrong and they actually fix it.

Gah, I'm waiting for your Galactic Reign turn :lol

Hope it gets fixed.

Amazon has the grey one for 13 quid and this dude on Ebay has a few colours. £17.95 each though :/
I saw the eBay ones before but wasn't sure if they were legit. The grey one is supposed to give good protection but the colour is terrible.

Edit: does say they're direct from Nokia and they look legit.

Also just noticed that there was a firmware update out that fixed the 620 multitouch.

From the (not so) funny pics thread:

WugCBm3.jpg

Now imagine if he had a 920 ...

Meteorain

Alas I come begging an answer to another question!

Is anyone familiar with using the Spotify app on the 920 or similar? I wish to know how to "close" the app. Best I can do so far is pause it, and then it no longer appears on the lock screen; not sure if that truly closes it though.

Fjolle

Alas I come begging an answer to another question!

Is anyone familiar with using the Spotify app on the 920 or similar? I wish to know how to "close" the app. Best I can do so far is pause it, and then it no longer appears on the lock screen; not sure if that truly closes it though.

On WP 7.8 you just have to look at it or change song for it to close automagically.

Meteorain

Well apparently just hitting the back button automatically closes an app. If you want it to run in the background you press the windows button.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I saw a yellow 920 for the first time irl at my at&t store, which is weird cause I thought yellow was online only. It looked gorgeous. They also had a 820 there. Meh. Finally, I got to play with the Blackberry Z10. Thought the hardware was pretty bland, but the software was interesting. Although it wasn't as fun to use as I thought, basically just two new swipe gestures, everything else was pretty standard looking.

hwalker84

I saw a yellow 920 for the first time irl at my at&t store, which is weird cause I thought yellow was online only. It looked gorgeous. They also had a 820 there. Meh. Finally, I got to play with the Blackberry Z10. Thought the hardware was pretty bland, but the software was interesting. Although it wasn't as fun to use as I thought, basically just two new swipe gestures, everything else was pretty standard looking.

Funny thing about the Yellow one for me. I went to a school that was about 95% white. Me and another black guy are both about the same height and at that time weight and build. A lot of people outside of our grade and in our community thought we where twins, brothers, or the same person. I got the Cyan 920 day one. I go pick him up one day to chill and he has the Yellow. I'm thinking dude you're not helping this twin thing. Lol!!

Milchjon

Upgrading off my Lumia 800. 820 or 920? What's the key difference?

Pro 920:

HD display (big difference)
Bigger display
Much better camera with optical image stabilization, great in low light
More built in memory
Built in wireless charging

Pro 820:

Changeable back covers, battery, SD card.
Lighter.
Cheaper.

Basically the 920 is the current flagship, stuffed with great features, but with the weight, size and price that comes with those.

Personally: If you can live with the chunkiness (try them both), get the 920.

Z_Y

My 900 died yesterday. I was having difficulty charging it last week and then over the weekend it wouldn't charge at all. Replaced the USB cord and still won't charge.

I'm still under warranty...but I wonder if I can sweet-talk
complain
to them enough to send me a 920. I was one of the suckers that bought the 900 thinking it was going to be upgraded to WP8. We haven't even gotten WP7.8 yet.... :(

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I was one of the suckers that bought the 900 thinking it was going to be upgraded to WP8. We haven't even gotten WP7.8 yet.... :(

I don't know, the 900 was released in April, and I think we knew in this thread and it was widely reported that it would not be upgraded because of the kernel change. I know most people don't read tech blogs and stuff, though. You will get 7.8 and Nokia will keep giving you new software for the length of your contract, so at least you are in better shape than someone who bought a Titan 2 or a Focus 2 and was completely abandoned.

edit: by all means, ask and complain, a lot of people have gotten upgrades, but its just luck that determines who.

So awhile back I was looking at getting a case but I sort of lost track of that...now that I'm looking again, it looks like I'm shit outta luck if I want to get a CP-600. Why is this case so hard to find?

hwalker84

I don't know, the 900 was released in April, and I think we knew in this thread and it was widely reported that it would not be upgraded because of the kernel change. I know most people don't read tech blogs and stuff, though. You will get 7.8 and Nokia will keep giving you new software for the length of your contract, so at least you are in better shape than someone who bought a Titan 2 or a Focus 2 and was completely abandoned.

edit: by all means, ask and complain, a lot of people have gotten upgrades, but its just luck that determines who.

The reports only came out after the device launched.

PG2G

Call me crazy, but I'd rather have a dual core Snapdragon 800 than a quad core Snapdragon 600 (as in the HTC One and SGS 4). Twice the GPU performance :O Though, having the best of both would be pretty awesome.

I imagine they are stuck with the 800 (and the battery life issues as a result) because they need something that can handle the PureView photos, or standalone coprocessors. The 800 supports up to 55 megapixels.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Anybody own the Nokia wireless charging stand? Does it only charge in portrait mode? I'd like to be able to watch videos while its charging at my work desk, but I don't think it accommodates the phone in landscape, does it?

Satchel

Banned
Anyone else getting an issue since the update where the screen becomes completely inactive during calls, to the point where you can't end them and only the other person can end the call?

Fucking driving me crazy.

maeh2k

I really love the colors of the Lumias. Today, I walked past a guy watching a video on a red 920 with the red headphones. The phone really stood out and looked awesome.

Anyone else getting an issue since the update where the screen becomes completely inactive during calls, to the point where you can't end them and only the other person can end the call?

Fucking driving me crazy.

That's the proximity sensor acting up, the phone thinks it is next to your face so the screen goes blank and unresponsive. You may have some luck with some compressed air in the area, but you will probably have to take the phone in.

MCD

I really love the colors of the Lumias. Today, I walked past a guy watching a video on a red 920 with the red headphones. The phone really stood out and looked awesome.

If only Nokia made darker colors like the HTC 8X.

DAT HTC 8X BLUE

GCX

Nokia's lucky they've had such an enormous cash reserve from their glory days to get them through all the restructures. Looks like they might be able to get back to sustainable business model before it's too late.

Top Bottom