• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nokia Lumia |OT| Worth the Weight

maeh2k

My contract is up with T-Mobile (UK) at the end of the month and I'm thinking of just keeping my Omnia 7.

The HTC 8S looks nice but it's pretty low end and doesn't offer me anything new. The 920 is still really expensive for what it is (you can get an iPhone 5 for less). I'd would probably get a Nexus 4 but they don't offer it.

tl;dr smartphones are boring.

If you are still okay with the Omnia just keep it as long as possible. New phones will only get better. Also, the current 24-month upgrade cycles for phones (encouraged through hidden costs in contracts) are too short. I don't think I'm going to replace my Optimus 7 anytime soon. Still works great.

That said, on the low end the Lumia 520 and 620 are pretty great. If I needed a phone now, I'd probably get one of those.

Liberty4all

Banned
How does everyone like their 920's?

I've had mine since the fall release. Love the big screen and windows OS is a nice change from IOS. I really miss my iPhone keyboard though ... Autocorrect on my iPhone was a lot better.

I will say though the Build quality is awesome. Love having a Nokia again.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I love my 920. I could easily keep it for another year and a half, but I have an upgrade in the fall so I'll probably be moving on, likely to another Nokia phone.

I've had mine since the fall release. Love the big screen and windows OS is a nice change from IOS. I really miss my iPhone keyboard though ... Autocorrect on my iPhone was a lot better.

I love it. Still hate Xbox Music with a vengeance, but otherwise, I personally couldn't ask for more. I don't use a lot of niche apps, though.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
So I've swapped my 920 for an iPhone 5. It was heartbreaking, but I just miss too many apps and it developed the light sensor fault. I'm keeping the Lumia for the time being, though. If Blue is amazing I might swap back. Does anyone know if there is a permanent fix for the sensor issue yet?

So I've swapped my 920 for an iPhone 5. It was heartbreaking, but I just miss too many apps and it developed the light sensor fault. I'm keeping the Lumia for the time being, though. If Blue is amazing I might swap back. Does anyone know if there is a permanent fix for the sensor issue yet?

I thought that Nokia confirmed it (after a customer dissected a 920) and offer to fix it if you take it to their repair center.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Sorry, I should clarify. I know that they acknowledged it, but my understanding was that their fix was just to clear the dust out of the sensor, meaning that there's nothing to stop it happening again.

Sorry, I should clarify. I know that they acknowledged it, but my understanding was that their fix was just to clear the dust out of the sensor, meaning that there's nothing to stop it happening again.

Hmm, you know, I want to say that when it's repaired, they actually "plug" the gap in the seal that caused the dust to get in, but I'm not sure. I'm also not sure if they've corrected the defect in production, either.

Van?

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member

I'm really happy with my 920. There were a few bumps on the road with the hardware when I first got it, but everything is good now. For music I have been using Xbox Music exclusively and it has been fine. The ecosystem is coming along slowly, but at least there is progress. Looking forward to the next few major updates.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Hmm, you know, I want to say that when it's repaired, they actually "plug" the gap in the seal that caused the dust to get in, but I'm not sure. I'm also not sure if they've corrected the defect in production, either.

Van?

wmpu reported that Nokia had a fix involving a sheath. New phones would have the fix built in, people with the issue could go in and get the fix installed. That was a few weeks ago, so I'd take it in if mine had any dirt on the ffc, but it doesn't.

Would anyone be interested in buying a black wireless charger or a black wireless charging stand both the official lumia accessories I no longer have the device.

thirty

Banned
dropped my 920 into my bathtub while arranging soap with the phone in hand. i had just taken a shower so the tub bottom had some water. water seemed to have gotten the ear opening and there was water around the screen. luckily phone seems to be working fine with no damage. i played some modern combat 4 to get the phones temperature up hoping the heat would evaporate any water that had entered.

oh, and yes my tub is fine.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Would my fellow Lumia owners shun me if I cheat on you with a HTC One?

As a side thing? Then no. Many gaffers, myself included, have multiple phones. Exclusive? It would definitely suck to lose another regular.

The One looks fantastic. The camera and my track record with HTC hardware and slow software updates would prevent me from buying it though. I'm waiting until the fall to see what my next move is, there should be some awesome stuff then.

hwalker84

Well I can get it on Craigslist for $525. I figure I play around with it for a month and sell it for around the same price on ebay or Craigslist. Not certain I really even want to. I did like it when I played with it in the store but I'm really waiting for the next Lumia super device.

As a side thing? Then no. Many gaffers, myself included, have multiple phones. Exclusive? It would definitely suck to lose another regular.

The One looks fantastic. The camera and my track record with HTC hardware and slow software updates would prevent me from buying it though. I'm waiting until the fall to see what my next move is, there should be some awesome stuff then.

So wait are you saying if we completely switch like Brot, Bret and Sean then we are completely shun? : P Well beside Brot, I don't think many of the ex-Windows Phone people even post in here or Windows Phone thread.

I still have One-X but lately I just can't be bother to switch my SIM in and out. I much prefer using the Lumia 920. I went to check out the One and it is nice but HTC quality and support still bother me. The buttons on the One also remind me of the HTC Titan and not in a good way. I will probably wait out the next Lumia and Microsoft next update. That said my loyalty to Microsoft is diminishing especially after WP8.

hwalker84

That didn't take long. What are your thoughts about it?

The phone itself puts anything Apple to shame. The one I have doesn't have any gaps or hard edges. The speed of the device is fantastic. The battery is poop IMO. The speakers are absurdly good.

To sum up without getting into details. I like the phone better than anything Apple has done but I don't like it enough to replace my Lumia 920. I already have a Lumia 900 as a backup phone so it doesn't make sense to have a $600 dollar device in my drawer.

I would love a damn steam app and sirius satellite radio app. Pretty much all i'm missing.

kharma45

Port begging I know but what would it be like if HTC say stuck WP8 onto it? Would the hardware alone be enough to challenge Nokia's hardware?

usctrojan

wmpu reported that Nokia had a fix involving a sheath. New phones would have the fix built in, people with the issue could go in and get the fix installed. That was a few weeks ago, so I'd take it in if mine had any dirt on the ffc, but it doesn't.

I keep reading about this fix but have yet to hear about anyone actually getting it done. I also have no idea where there is a local repair center that I can just walk into. The California location has no phone number and seems to be non-public. I can't wait because mine really needs it; my FFC looks furry.

Lucius86

Banned
So this is crap.

I renamed my hotmail account to Outlook.com because I wanted it updated.

I had to do a factory reset, so I did.

Now the phone won't boot up. Ace.

Reading around, this is a common problem with Lumia 920.

Good news is, I found a fix after a small amount of Googling.

Bad news is, Nokia blocked access to the firmwares on their web site a few days ago, so I cannot recover my phone.

FFS. Can anyone help out? Lumia 920 yellow, Orange/EE branded.

kharma45

So this is crap.

I renamed my hotmail account to Outlook.com because I wanted it updated.

I had to do a factory reset, so I did.

Now the phone won't boot up. Ace.

Reading around, this is a common problem with Lumia 920.

Good news is, I found a fix after a small amount of Googling.

Bad news is, Nokia blocked access to the firmwares on their web site a few days ago, so I cannot recover my phone.

FFS. Can anyone help out? Lumia 920 yellow, Orange/EE branded.

Got a Nokia Care Centre near you? If so it should just be a matter of taking it into them and re-flashing it there.

klausbert

My 920 finally got updated.

Aw yiss.

Motha Fuckin Updates.

This update finally fixed my proximity sensor, no more rapidly hitting the touchscreen and the sleep button to end a call for me! If the next update blows the dust out of my front camera, this phone would be perfect ;)

Still pretty happy with it though, everything is just so smooth and i recently discovered Touch Develop, which rocks. On my commutes to work i made a shibe generator with it. Now i can send annoying shibe pics to my friends. YAY!

Top Bottom