• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nokia Lumia |OT| Worth the Weight

Milchjon

I'm kind of in love with the Asha 210. Might buy it as a back up phone and a solution to my internet addiction. Not having to worry about battery life (like on a smartphone), internet access that's probably so annoying that you won't use it 99% of the time, but still getting all your Facebook-/WhatsApp messages on the go.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Made some tests with the new firmware and daylight shots are still slightly off focus. I cannot comprehend how this is still an issue.

hadareud

The Translator
Yes, it still exists.

But to be fair it's been improved significantly with the update.

Comparison shots before and after the update (taken at work in Slough btw, in case you're wondering what shithole this is).

WP_20130121_003.jpg

WP_20130424_009.jpg

Let's hope they keep working on it, it's strange that it's taking them half a year to sort the issue out.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Yes, it still exists.

But to be fair it's been improved significantly with the update.

Comparison shots before and after the update (taken at work in Slough btw, in case you're wondering what shithole this is).

Let's hope they keep working on it, it's strange that it's taking them half a year to sort the issue out.

I don't think I can see the pictures. Broken links?

hadareud

The Translator
Sla'. Driving there in the morning is like driving back in time. Or to a post apocalyptic future. You can literally smell the place when you get near it because there's a massive sewage plant right next to the motorway which mixes with the nearby Mars factory.

It's kind of amazing.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
So... chocolate and trash? I can't imagine the size of the rats.

Also, the pictures do look a bit better in the finer parts of the picture such as the little branches. I think the compression has been somewhat improved.

hadareud

The Translator
Close ups are quite a bit better, but I don't have any comparison pics.

I wish it was trash btw. I also didn't mention that Mars do pet food as well as chocolate.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Close ups are quite a bit better, but I don't have any comparison pics.

I wish it was trash btw. I also didn't mention that Mars do pet food as well as chocolate.
Oh dear.

When I was younger I used to work during summers at a local chocolate/ice cream factory. The rats were big enough to chase the cats out of the facilities. And those cats were brought in to hunt them down in the first place.

So I just picked up a Lumia 720. Pretty good so far, only thing I am having problems with is finding a good podcast player.

What do you guys use? Google seems to suggest using itunes is my best bet. Any other ideas?

kharma45

Screen is nice despite being only a WVGA one, camera is reasonably good but nothing outstanding. As for battery my friend has one and she gets through a day with it alright, but YMMV of course.

Are you UK based by any chance?

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Get ready

lumia-london.jpg

The next couple months are gearing up to be pretty busy, and Nokia's joining the fun with a press event on May 14th. The Finnish company is putting out a rather hefty teaser to get us intrigued, stating that the Nokia Lumia story continues, and we'll get to "see what's next." The timing of this new device is rather curious, given the fact that the flagship Lumia phones typically get shown off later in the fall.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Kind of interested in one of those new cheapy Nokia phones for my mom. She refuses to get a smartphone - and I don't blame her - she works from home so doesn't really need data.

That said, she would like to be able to check a webpage or FB in a pinch. These new phones look like they'd be a great update to her 2008 samsung flipphone, lol. But on AT&T, will she still have to buy a data plan? Or is there something like a cheap $10 non-smartphone data plan or something?

NeOak

Kind of interested in one of those new cheapy Nokia phones for my mom. She refuses to get a smartphone - and I don't blame her - she works from home so doesn't really need data.

That said, she would like to be able to check a webpage or FB in a pinch. These new phones look like they'd be a great update to her 2008 samsung flipphone, lol. But on AT&T, will she still have to buy a data plan? Or is there something like a cheap $10 non-smartphone data plan or something?

The Asha phones work with the cheap data plan.

ElNino

I was considering doing on upgrade of my 900 to the 920 this week, but now I think I will wait a bit to see what this is.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
The Asha phones work with the cheap data plan.

Well hot-diggity. Looks like it should only be $10-$15 more a month. Can't really tell, as we're on a family plan with unlimited data for my iphone, 2gb for my sisters, and unlimited texting for all. But still, nothing too absurd.

flippedb

Banned
Screen is nice despite being only a WVGA one, camera is reasonably good but nothing outstanding. As for battery my friend has one and she gets through a day with it alright, but YMMV of course.

Are you UK based by any chance?

Not even on the same continent, sorry.

How does the 900 compare to the 820? I'd like a 920, but it's way too expensive and I don't really treat my phones right, so I don't want to risk a 920.

NeOak

Well hot-diggity. Looks like it should only be $10-$15 more a month. Can't really tell, as we're on a family plan with unlimited data for my iphone, 2gb for my sisters, and unlimited texting for all. But still, nothing too absurd.

Unlimited family texting? 10 bucks.

kharma45

Not even on the same continent, sorry.

How does the 900 compare to the 820? I'd like a 920, but it's way too expensive and I don't really treat my phones right, so I don't want to risk a 920.

Same screen and camera but I'd go for the 820 for WP8. It'll have the longer relevancy.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Oh god, now that Nokia's locked out people from using Navipoint, how will I ever get back to my "real" firmware? I just took an Euro one that was Norway/Sweden, but looking at my friends phone there appears to be one SPECIFICALLY for swedish phones.

Now my phone works exactly as intended but I'm just unsure if this could potentially fuck my warranty up? Anyone know a place that has firmware dumps from before they restricted access to NaviFirm?

Anyway, huge improvement in camera quality, especially night photos seem to work much better for me now, much brighter. Hell sometimes shots look better with flash off when you take dark shots.

I think I might get the 820, how good is it? How's the screen, battery life, camera? Thanks Lumia GAF

I had to make the same decision a few months ago and am extremely satisfied with my 820. I've got a good DSLR, so the high-end camera (as far as smartphones go) in the 920 wasn't really of importance to me. Battery usually lasts for 20/21 hours (during a normal day at the university). It's fantastic.

The only thing bothering me at the moment (cross-posting from the WP8 thread):

"1. Runtastic (Pro): anyone here use this? I snatched the red stripe deal and was very happy with the functionality and design of this app. Today, however, it stopped recording most of my activities mere seconds after I had started them. The last time around, I waited for 7 seconds, locked the phone, went for a ride and guess what it said back home? 7 seconds.
I tried it again for a few seconds and it seemed to keep counting just fine... Really weird.

Has anyone here experienced similar unreliability problems?

2. Twitter: today, I've finally created a Twitter account and enjoy it quite a bit. But the official app doesn't give me ANY notifications. The live tile is static, there are no push notifications - nothing! What's up with that?
I noticed that it cannot be activated for background tasks... Maybe that has something to do with it?

If this is a common problem with this app: are there any good alternatives? Maybe Rowi? All I want is a working live tile and maybe lock screen notifications. The push notifications don't really matter to me.

Looking forward to any advice."

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I want to buy a car charger for my Lumia 920, but I don't know if I need to look for a specific voltage or what. Anyone here use a car charger they would recommend? I notice that if I use my kindle wall charger, the phone charges really slow and sometime not at all if I'm surfing while charging, but on the official Nokia charger it tops up pretty quickly.

This thread may as well die if no one helps out or responds, we can just all use the windows phone ot if that's the case.

mm04

I want to buy a car charger for my Lumia 920, but I don't know if I need to look for a specific voltage or what. Anyone here use a car charger they would recommend? I notice that if I use my kindle wall charger, the phone charges really slow and sometime not at all if I'm surfing while charging, but on the official Nokia charger it tops up pretty quickly.

This thread may as well die if no one helps out or responds, we can just all use the windows phone ot if that's the case.

I've used this one for my Focus and use it for my 920 now. Works fine for me.

MCD

Can't find the official one near your area?

This:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000UR6DB8/

Or this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0060VMAHO/

AkuMifune

Banned
That 928 better be available from Verizon sometime in May as the rumors have it.

Sitting here with an expired contract and a crappy phone just waiting is killing me.

Top Bottom