• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nokia Lumia |OT| Worth the Weight

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
SHIT. I was just cleaning my screen and remarking on how pristine it is. Then I dropped it at an angle that it slid across the bathroom tile and looks worse than any smartphone i've had. Anything I can do to buff these out?

My screen has a small chip too. Grrr. If the 928 was coming to AT&T, I'd sell this 920 and buy it. I guess we will see catwalk next week, so I'll probably get that instead.

Subitai

My screen has a small chip too. Grrr. If the 928 was coming to AT&T, I'd sell this 920 and buy it. I guess we will see catwalk next week, so I'll probably get that instead.
Catwalk I know in my veins will be hawt!
and not immediately available on Verizon :/

JaggedSac

So it turns out I can upgrade early with ATT on 7/3. Bring on some about to be released new phones Nokia.

I guess we will see catwalk next week, so I'll probably get that instead.

What is catwalk?

EDIT: just googled it. Damnit, doesn't look like Nokia will have any substantial new hardware before my upgrade is available.

venne

My wife took some video at an event she attended last night with the 920.

Amazing what a difference optical image stabilization makes. Cell phone videos without it look so janky.

Hope the rumors of EOS with both OIS and a huge image sensor are true.

PG2G

I wouldn't expect anything too major until this Fall. They'll probably fill some niches in the mean time, and get 920-esque phones on non-AT&T carriers like Tmobile and Verizon.

We'll see though, I'd love to be surprised.

Bleh, I think the microphone in my Lumia is busted. I keep getting static sound when I recorded video. I wonder if it's still cover under warranty.

AMOLED has a better refresh rate than LCD panels - so puremotion is built into the tech.

Not only that, but the organic LEDs in OLED displays have a response time similar to plasma phosphors. AMOLED has far superior native motion resolution over LCD.

The problem of 'sample-and-hold' remains with organic LEDs, though. Plasma phosphors quickly lose their brightness after illuminating like CRT phosphors. So OLED still has worse native motion resolution than plasma unless you insert a blanking interval to make the OLEDs "blink off" after drawing a frame. This is something the OLED TV manufacturers are presumably working on.

OLED is in many ways an inherently superior technology to LCD, but it's still very immature and until they really solve the issues of burn-in and phosphor lifetime, OLED TVs will remain something you only see at CES booths. It's too bad, because once you've experienced the pure zero black level of OLED even plasma seems inferior as a TV technology.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Today my mom got a 920 and my dad got an 820, their first smartphones. My mom originally wanted an Android phone and my dad was going to get an iPhone. I feel like I imposed these phone choices on them. However, they aren't really tech savvy and if I am going to put up with all of their tech questions regarding their devices, they at least should be on my OS of choice. Also, my mom was going to get the S4 that came bundled with an Android tablet for $200, so I had to pay the difference out of the $700 Samsung ATIV PC. I guess this is the cost of saving myself future headaches. I just kept picturing the nightmare scenario of troubleshooting their iOS and Android devices every time they got stuck, and I wasn't going to have it.

Now we are even Nokia. You gifted me a phone, and I bought two.

Today my mom got a 920 and my dad got an 820, their first smartphones. My mom originally wanted an Android phone and my dad was going to get an iPhone. I feel like I imposed these phone choices on them. However, they aren't really tech savvy and if I am going to put up with all of their tech questions regarding their devices, they at least should be on my OS of choice. Also, my mom was going to get the S4 that came bundled with an Android tablet for $200, so I had to pay the difference out of the $700 Samsung ATIV PC. I guess this is the cost of saving myself future headaches. I just kept picturing the nightmare scenario of troubleshooting their iOS and Android devices every time they got stuck, and I wasn't going to have it.

Now we are even Nokia. You gifted me a phone, and I bought two.

How are you going to troubleshoot when they start asking you for Instagram!

: ) My entire family is on Windows Phone also (they all get my hand me down phone so they don't really have a choice in the matter).

toff74

so, ive been happily using my yellow 920 since release (on EE UK) and yesterday i thought id clear a little space and add a little more music and films. After all the housekeeping i went to the lumia sttorage space app thhingy and it said i had oger 8gig in 'other'. And as i thought the spinning gear thing had ben fixed i went for a hard reset..

its still spinning away.. 24 hours and counting. i took it back to EE and they told me to take it back to P4U who in turn said they could send it to Nokia to be fixed which would take 2 weeks and they dont offer substitute phones over that period.

can anyone here offer any help? im well versed with all things flashing but i believe Nokia have now put the software behind a 'locked door'.

any help will e really appreciated. hate the thought of being without my lovely lumia for 24 hours never mind 2 weeks.

thanks

kharma45

Someone might have the latest FW uploaded somewhere, Lucius had to do the same thing iirc.

Did you not try to clear the storage first before resetting?

f0lken

How are you going to troubleshoot when they start asking you for Instagram!

: ) My entire family is on Windows Phone also (they all get my hand me down phone so they don't really have a choice in the matter).

Itsdagram ;) its a paid app but works wonderfully to upload photos to instagram, only things missing is the geotagging and people tagging

toff74

Someone might have the latest FW uploaded somewhere, Lucius had to do the same thing iirc.

Did you not try to clear the storage first before resetting?

i cleared as much as i could off. music, photos, apps, the lot. And it still showed 8gb under other. Im sure its been well documented places that its stuff like app settings and possibly high scores for games.

just felt the time was right fir a wipe and start again.

Lucius, how did you fix it?

hadareud

The Translator
I've shared the firmware with Lucius (ee, update is the one before the latest one, won't void your warranty).

You can download it from my SkyDrive http://sdrv.ms/Y3tmzC

Use the Nokia care suit to flash it, it will definitely work. Instructions are on wpcentral, I'm on my phone right now so I can't post the link to that without it being a pain in the arse.

toff74

I've shared the firmware with Lucius (ee, update is the one before the latest one, won't void your warranty).

You can download it from my SkyDrive http://sdrv.ms/Y3tmzC

Use the Nokia care suit to flash it, it will definitely work. Instructions are on wpcentral, I'm on my phone right now so I can't post the link to that without it being a pain in the arse.

thank you so much for your help.. ill be giving it a go in a bit.

a fresh new flash for me.

Don't know if this is the right thread, but it seems to be the most active WP8 thread.

I'm thinking of selling my Galaxy S3 and getting a Lumia, in part because WP8 is the only recent mainstream smartphone OS I haven't tried but also because they are sexy as hell. I like the customization of Android but most software never really exits beta stage and crashes randomly all the time (or I may be experimenting too much).

I hear that you use your Xbox Live ID on the phone (at least gaming). I'm wondering if I can somehow rename an Xbox Live ID for my existing Windows account since my current one is just plain bad and I wanna get rid of it (have never played a game on it either).

Or is it better to just create a new outlook email address and start from scratch?

Don't know if this is the right thread, but it seems to be the most active WP8 thread.

I'm thinking of selling my Galaxy S3 and getting a Lumia, in part because WP8 is the only recent mainstream smartphone OS I haven't tried but also because they are sexy as hell. I like the customization of Android but most software never really exits beta stage and crashes randomly all the time (or I may be experimenting too much).

I hear that you use your Xbox Live ID on the phone (at least gaming). I'm wondering if I can somehow rename an Xbox Live ID for my existing Windows account since my current one is just plain bad and I wanna get rid of it (have never played a game on it either).

Or is it better to just create a new outlook email address and start from scratch?

That would be the windows phone OT. Which probably has answers to a lot of the questions you're going to have in the OP. Here's a link :)

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=501637&page=1

toff74

It really is.. and sorry to be asking again, but all the links on to navfirm are dead. when its ok, would you be able to send me a link?

thanks

Just a requite of myself...

I have found links, however once the software is installed they all show a fault and wont accept the firmware.. damn and blast-it!!

Any help? Please?

Troll

Banned
New Lumia pics.

screen-shot-2013-05-12-at-21-44-15.png

screen-shot-2013-05-12-at-21-43-32.png

Top Bottom