• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nokia Lumia |OT| Worth the Weight

If the 925 is the only thing shown tomorrow will you be:

A.) Disappointed?
B.) What you expected?
C.) Still excited!

If it's just a 920/928 in a "better" (slimmer/lighter) body, I will be disappointed, but it's also kinda what I'm expected. Will be surprised by a spec bump.

NeOak

A tablet with digitizer support for OneNote would make me giddy with excitement. Other than that, the 925 is a refinement, so its not that exciting.

Milchjon

If the 925 is just another 920 variant, I honestly don't really get Nokia's strategy there. Are they trying to flood the market Samsung-style? Knee-jerk reactions to reviews?

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
probably won't happen but I would love to hear something about the next major update. Other than that, don't really care for the event.

ReconPeon

Does anyone know if that new Lumia 521 that is $149.00 off contract will work on att? I know it is a T-mobile phone, but I want it.

Edit:
Nvm I just found the 521 thread.

Troll

Banned
probably won't happen but I would love to hear something about the next major update. Other than that, don't really care for the event.

I hear you. It doesn't look like we are getting anything great tonight so when I wake up I get to read another underhanded verge article. But I guess that was going to matter no matter what, right?

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Aside from the Verge, the press has been positive. It was a waste for me, but if you're a t mobile user or a person who wanted a slimmer 920 this will fit the bill.

Now that the 920 variants are out of the way, we can focus on the next gen flagships for Nokia. Lets see what they got. I suspect we will hear something late summer/early fall, right after MS does a conference about Windows Phone Blue.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
So I'm assuming the lack of a 920 variant on Sprint is the carrier's fault, right? So glad I'm not with Sprint, they've had the crappiest phone selection for years.

AkuMifune

Banned
I think I like the design of the 925 over the 928, but maybe only because I'm stuck with Verizon. God they have the worst carrier logo in the game. Hopefully the 928 will last me through the contract period. As it is I can't wait another 5 months right now.

I should just be able to go buy one on Thursday from a Verizon store, right? Anyone have experience with what time they get stock? White or black will be a decision after I can see them both in person.

I haven't bought something tech from a physical store in years, seems weird. lol

So I'm assuming the lack of a 920 variant on Sprint is the carrier's fault, right? So glad I'm not with Sprint, they've had the crappiest phone selection for years.
I'm on Sprint, and I'm so sad over this. :(

If I buy I 928 from Verizon off contract, can I use it with Sprint? Both Sprint and Verizon use CMDA or something, no? I really want a Windows Phone with Sprint. :(

jagowar

I really want a nokia lumia but I am on sprint by proxy (ting). Even when they do finally get some wp hardware its not going to be nokia and all I am really interested in these days is a nokia lumia.

JimiNutz

Banned
Really dissapointed by the 925 :(
I lost my 920 a couple months back and decided to wait for this announcement in the hope that the 925 would be an upgrade, I wasn't expecting much but I wasn't actually expecting it to be WORSE.

Its uglier than a 920 and actually has worse memory?!
My only complaint with the 920 was that 32gb just isn't enough for me. At a minimum I was expecting the 925 to have 32gb plus micro sd slot to take me up to 64gb.... instead we get 16gb?! What the fuck.

The weight and size of the 920 was actually an advantage for me. It felt strong, sturdy, high quality. The 925 is everything I didn't want...

The only positive I can think of is that the 920 will hopefully come down in price when the 925 hits?
If I don't see a tempting enough drop in price I may jump ship to Android rather than double dip....

PG2G

Really dissapointed by the 925 :(
I lost my 920 a couple months back and decided to wait for this announcement in the hope that the 925 would be an upgrade, I wasn't expecting much but I wasn't actually expecting it to be WORSE.

Its uglier than a 920 and actually has worse memory?!
My only complaint with the 920 was that 32gb just isn't enough for me. At a minimum I was expecting the 925 to have 32gb plus micro sd slot to take me up to 64gb.... instead we get 16gb?! What the fuck.

The weight and size of the 920 was actually an advantage for me. It felt strong, sturdy, high quality. The 925 is everything I didn't want...

The only positive I can think of is that the 920 will hopefully come down in price when the 925 hits?
If I don't see a tempting enough drop in price I may jump ship to Android rather than double dip....

If I were you, I'd get a 520 off contract and ride it out until the EOS or whatever next gen Lumia is out this Fall.

What are you guys talking about?

Your tiny little tiles that are sorted around the big tile in the middle. Hated it when I saw it during the reveal. It's basically the reason I tripped balls and raged, when Joe announced the new tile size.

c4tzppj5t7u9d49pw.jpg

JimiNutz

Banned
If I were you, I'd get a 520 off contract and ride it out until the EOS or whatever next gen Lumia is out this Fall.

This is def an option... I do miss my 920 though.
I suppose I can always sell on the 920 later if something better comes along...

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Oh.....but I like it. :'(

I use that arrangement for games because it allows me to surround the Xbox hub tile with the games I play the most. It makes sense with the way I use the phone.

flippedb

Banned
Lumia 925 is a beaaaaast in low light pictures! Wow! Kills the 920 and the HTC one. Let's not even mention Galaxy SIV, which gets totalled.

So there was talk of "Lumia Color Profile" coming to Nokia. Any ideas whatever happened to that? I picked up an 820 recently and I'm liking everything about it other than the colours. They seem really, over saturated, I guess. It would be nice to tone them down. The colours of the 620 display were much more pleasing.

I thought you'd went back to Android Kyle? Anyway I think that feature is just for the 920, but I could be wrong.
Nope, got an 820. Any issues I had with the 620 haven't surfaced with the 820, though I still love the 620. Like I said, the only gripe I have is the colours. I know some people give the low resolution a bad rap, but I can live with it. If that colour profile feature were to pop up though I'm sure that could sort it. Though as you say, I think I remember now that it was exclusive to 920s.

PG2G

I have an AT&T Lumia 920 which should have all available updates, I don't see the color profile setting yet. Perhaps it is part of the 'Amber' update that will hit soon. If thats the case, it might not be specific to the 920.

Nope, got an 820. Any issues I had with the 620 haven't surfaced with the 820, though I still love the 620. Like I said, the only gripe I have is the colours. I know some people give the low resolution a bad rap, but I can live with it. If that colour profile feature were to pop up though I'm sure that could sort it. Though as you say, I think I remember now that it was exclusive to 920s.
It's the Amoled screen. They are always saturated. I am now prefer LCD.

kharma45

Starting to come around to the look of the 925

It's the Amoled screen. They are always saturated. I am now prefer LCD.

Yeah manufacturers set them up to be more saturated, but if Nokia releases that colour profile thing for the 820 you'll be able to correct it somewhat. Might be worth firing off an email to them and see what they say.

Starting to come around to the look of the 925

Yeah manufacturers set them up to be more saturated, but if Nokia releases that colour profile thing for the 820 you'll be able to correct it somewhat. Might be worth firing off an email to them and see what they say.

looks nice. hopefully to canada

Top Bottom