• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nokia Lumia |OT| Worth the Weight

Milchjon

I like the ad, but how is that supposed to sell phones? I can't for the life of me figure out why they wouldn't at least show the device at the end. Now we get a tiny glimpse at the clock with the screen off...

The problem I have with this ad is that, on the ois lumias, you still have a short flash needed for focus assist. You can disable it, but you'll get blurry shots. So yeah, you don't use the flash for the actual photo, but there is still flash involved.

Well yeah, but it isn't going to show up in the picture, right?

I like the ad, but how is that supposed to sell phones? I can't for the life of me figure out why they wouldn't at least show the device at the end. Now we get a tiny glimpse at the clock with the screen off...

I have this feeling that if you make a thread about this ad, you'd get lots of people agreeing with you.

Milchjon

I have this feeling that if you make a thread about this ad, you'd get lots of people agreeing with you.

Well, you know, my reaction to this ad was clouded by my hate for Nokia.

I've made a mistake with that thread. I still stand by the point I was trying to make, but I should've known in advance that it was pointless to try and discuss it.

bdrob

Yipee!

Just bought an unlocked 920 and wireless charger off ebay for £250 bones! Seeing what Nokia offered up with the 925 didn't seem worth an extra £100 - £200 so decided to bite.

Had been trying to track down one of them from EE as they've been going for £259 +top up since the 925 was announced, but alas they appear to be sold out. Plus this way I don't need to worry about the hassle of getting an unlock code.

Been with my iPhones for a good few years now, with a very brief and unsuccessful hop over to Android for the original Galaxy, so looking forward to a change.

Is there an app thread / case thread (just want a simple pouch tbh) or anything to get a newbie started?

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
My Lumia 920 reset itself three times in the last 24 hours or so, which is super annoying since I'm waiting for an important call. It's pretty infuriating that this shit has not been fixed yet.

My Lumia 920 reset itself three times in the last 24 hours or so, which is super annoying since I'm waiting for an important call. It's pretty infuriating that this shit has not been fixed yet.
I haven't have that happen since I switch my phone (first week) and I am pretty sure it is fix after firmware update.

Picked up a cyan 520 a week ago (620 wasnt worth £80 more for me and i needed cheap cheap)
Loving how long the battery can last, how fast the OS is and how good games and stuff look on it :)

Is there any apps worth checking out?
I only have Whatsapp, Facebook (which is abit shite on this OS) ,"Battery" and Shazam.
Games are Jetpack joyride and Royal Revolt.

Also anything that can make the battery last like an early 2000's style phone so I can have the maximum amount for the longest possible time would be great for Glastonbury Festival in a few days.

Milchjon

Also anything that can make the battery last like an early 2000's style phone so I can have the maximum amount for the longest possible time would be great for Glastonbury Festival in a few days.

Haha, sorry, you're out of luck.

As for Facebook, search for the Facebook Beta (online, it's not listed in the store), it's much better. Although there are reports that it drains the battery.

As for other apps, almost everything in the Nokia Collection is worth a download. Lots of great stuff in there.

Wikipedia by Rudy Huyn (if you search for Wikipedia, it's the one with the yellow icon) is pretty damn awesome.

Itsdagram is the best Instagram app.

The official Twitter app is pretty good.

Ha well I dont expect a weeks worth but it currently can go atleast 1 day and 7 hours and thats with me checking facebook and it fetching emails on arrival and that.
If I shut all of the data etc down I recon it could go for 3 days at a push!

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Itsdagram is now called Instance. Also hopefully Rudy Huyns vine app will be released. It's excellent. TVshow is one my favorite apps as well.

bdrob

Yipee!

Just bought an unlocked 920 and wireless charger off ebay for £250 bones! Seeing what Nokia offered up with the 925 didn't seem worth an extra £100 - £200 so decided to bite.

Had been trying to track down one of them from EE as they've been going for £259 +top up since the 925 was announced, but alas they appear to be sold out. Plus this way I don't need to worry about the hassle of getting an unlock code.

Been with my iPhones for a good few years now, with a very brief and unsuccessful hop over to Android for the original Galaxy, so looking forward to a change.

Is there an app thread / case thread (just want a simple pouch tbh) or anything to get a newbie started?

My Lumia just turned up!

It's a gorgeous little slab, got it on charge at the moment and to be honest, it doesn't look or feel as big as I had expected! It's sitting next to my iPhone and the impression I get is that the iPhone is tiny, rather than the Lumia being massive. Also I can't believe people actually complain about the weight of this thing ...

I am realising though that I am far too OCD to buy stuff off eBay. Don't get me wrong, the phone is in great condition, but it's got little smudges, tiny little nicks etc everything you would expect from a phone which has actually been used but it's driving me crazy! My two year old 4S hasn't got a single scratch on it, I'm so careful with my electronics I guess others just aren't quite as obsessive! Still, can't complain for £250 really ... just got to learn to ignore it!

What has got me amused / annoyed at the moment though is that the guy has sent it without wiping his data. That wouldn't be an issue if not for the fact he has a pin code ... after it finally got some charge I was excited to use it and ... NOPE! Sent the chap a message but I doubt he's going to pick it up at 10pm on a Friday night ... :(

/edit/ Found a way to hard reset online so giving it a go ... during one of the boot ups I did see the guys name was Max and he has three voicemails! Could have been fun to snoop if I was't so impatient ...

NeOak

/edit/ Found a way to hard reset online so giving it a go ... during one of the boot ups I did see the guys name was Max and he has three voicemails! Could have been fun to snoop if I was't so impatient ...

Maybe, maybe not. Had it been something... uh... you know... besides...

ONCE IT HAS BEEN HEARD, IT CAN'T BE UNHEARD

bdrob

Well thankfully i wont have to worry about such a dilemma, the reset worked and im happily posting away from my lovely lumia :)

Haven't had much of a chance to play with it yet, had an issue getting my sim card recognised for a while, but all sorted now and so far i like what i see. Grabbed some essential apps and thrown some music on here for tomorrow while getting to grips with the basics.

writing out this post I can now see why the wp keyboard gets so much love, i haven't made a single correction and it seems to have turned out pretty well :) What a beaut!

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
This is getting stupid. My phone just rebooted itself twice in the last 15 minutes, same as yesterday. The next GDR can't come soon enough.

hadareud

The Translator
I'm starting to think that there's something wrong with your phone that's not related to the firmware.

I haven't had random reboots even in the beginning, and I haven't hear from anyone that they have since the first update.

Might be time to bite the bullet and send it in for repairs :(

This is getting stupid. My phone just rebooted itself twice in the last 15 minutes, same as yesterday. The next GDR can't come soon enough.

I think you have a defective phone. (probably bad memory, that what usually cause the reboot). As I said, if you have your phone already update to the latest firmware, you really should not have rebooting issue. I was looking at the forum you post, they all from last year, there was problem at launch. My stop rebooting after I exchanged it and before the two firmware update.

Is it still under warranty? I would send it in before warranty ran out.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I think you have a defective phone. (probably bad memory, that what usually cause the reboot). As I said, if you have your phone already update to the latest firmware, you really should not have rebooting issue. I was looking at the forum you post, they all from last year, there was problem at launch. My stop rebooting after I exchanged it and before the two firmware update.

Is it still under warranty? I would send it in before warranty ran out.

European laws mandate a two year warranty, although I purchased it from an online seller, so returns can be tricky. I'll try to ping Nokia and see what's up.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Nokia Lumia 1020:

BOS8JrrCEAA1IEV.jpg:large

klausbert

I really want that Amber magic on my 920. My wife got herself a 925 recently and the improvement in picture quality in some situations is great and i need dat data sense.

Klocker

so will the 1020 be replacing the 920 at AT&T?

I'm ready to pull the trigger on Win 8 from 7.8 and since at $99 on contract for 920 I'm wondering if I should just hold out some more? or is 1020 going to be really 5" and 2.4GHZ and 1080p (and $199/contract)?

thx

hwalker84

so will the 1020 be replacing the 920 at AT&T?

I'm ready to pull the trigger on Win 8 from 7.8 and since at $99 on contract for 920 I'm wondering if I should just hold out some more? or is 1020 going to be really 5" and 2.4GHZ and 1080p (and $199/contract)?

thx

That isn't coming for awhile. The current specs are the Max WP8 supports.

hwalker84

thanks so what's the event next week? reveal this? or other?

so would you pull trigger on 920 or wait?

thx

edit:

geez just read this I can wait until next week to see what's up :) Rumored release July 22 '13

http://www.captees.com/9053-nokia-l...-leaked-will-be-available-in-3-color-options/
The 1020 or 909 whatever it is will have the same hardware as the 920/928/925/8x/Ativ S but with a 41 MP camera and GDR2 and Nokia Amber updates which will be coming to the 920 at the end of the month.

Klocker

The 1020 or 909 whatever it is will have the same hardware as the 920/928/925/8x/Ativ S but with a 41 MP camera and GDR2 and Nokia Amber updates which will be coming to the 920 at the end of the month.

ok thanks so do you know if it is same 4.5" screen?

Liberty4all

Banned
Saw my first Nokia 920 out in the wild today in downtown Toronto. First time I've ever seen anyone else aside from me sporting a Lumia.

I've had mine since launch last year.

ElNino

Saw my first Nokia 920 out in the wild today in downtown Toronto. First time I've ever seen anyone else aside from me sporting a Lumia.

I've had mine since launch last year.
I've seen some downtown TO and on the GO. I'm still rocking my 900 (formerly Focus) but I've seen quite a few more since the 920/8X came out.

Surprised there is not more hype, I am not a WP user but looks like they will indeed be bringing a quality camera to the mobile phone.

It looks like Nokia did not send out review samples as the Verge don't seem like they got one. Wonder why, considering its such an important product for them.

Top Bottom