• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

November 2014 NPD (U.S. Hardware) Predictions - Closes December 9th

Elios83

He has said repeatedly that he thinks Microsoft won. To be honest, I see that as a given now.

The questions now for me is by how much and how big the month was for both.

Im not sure the 1 million+ estimates are going to be right (even mine)

To be honest he also said that the GTAV/TLOU was a very limited thing if I'm not mistaking.
They shipped tons (they were more stocked than MS according to the rumors here) and tomorrow there's an other restock coming.
This is NOT to discredit him, just to say that it's very difficult that a single person can get the whole picture until we get the numbers.

To be honest he also said that the GTAV/TLOU was a very limited thing if I'm not mistaking.
They shipped tons (they were more stocked than MS according to the rumors here) and tomorrow there's an other restock coming.
This is NOT to discredit him, just to say that it's very difficult that a single person can get the whole picture until we get the numbers.

A single person with access to country wide data from the biggest retailer in the country.

And he already recounted his orginal post about the GTA being very extremely limited.

I can't be discredited. There are people here who see direct, hard numbers from me. Regularly.

I amended the statement I made about GTA the very next day when I got more shipment info.

I believe MS won November NPD. Does that make it fact? No and I never claim to be the voice of all sales data.

Elios83

I can't be discredited. There are people here who see direct, hard numbers from me. Regularly.

I amended the statement I made about GTA the very next day when I got more shipment info.

I believe MS won November NPD. Does that make it fact? No and I never claim to be the voice of all sales data.

That was my only point, that we won't get the full picture until numbers are gathered from all the major sources.
And of course I also believe that Microsoft has edged out Sony for the month, the deals were too good and they have been accurately scattered throughout the whole month.
The only question is the gap between the two and if MS actually could make a dent into the PS4 lead.

One thing I forgot to ask last time you was around:-

Does the gamestop online charts have any relation to instore sales? Are they even updated regularly?

Im assuming no, but id like to know for definite.

Welfare

There's lots of room for doubt, actually.

One is MS's own PR statement; "3x last week of October for first two weeks of November" or something like that. When they only sold 178k in October, then you average that, then do the multiplication...it's actually a somewhat small/average number.
That's assuming that the final week was the same average as the other 3, and I don't think that's likely. The weekly average for the One was 42k. The final week had the SO bundle, so I would think the 4th week would have been higher than the "average week". Also their PR said that they were outselling the PS4, which had a weekly average of around ~75k, so unless the PS4 had a little boost from CoD, the final week for the One would have had to be bigger than 42k for the 3x to outsell the PS4.

Also, going on to the 3x, that doesn't mean X number times 3 with MS. The last time they had PR for the One in the US, they said that the One did more than 2x as much as May in June. It just wasn't May x2, but more of May x~2.5.

If only we had info on the SO bundles numbers.

That was my only point, that we won't get the full picture until numbers are gathered from all the major sources.
And of course I also believe that Microsoft has edged out Sony for the month, the deals were too good and they have been accurately scattered throughout the whole month.
The only question is the gap between the two and if MS actually could make a dent into the PS4 lead.

I agree 100%. We won't know the outcome until NPD. There are plenty of major big box retailers with their own sales data, not to mention all the online deals for the month. Anyone othet than NPD, MS, or Sony, telling you they know who won NPD would be lieing. I have only stated what I believe based on what I myself have to work with.

I caution users to simply use my posts as a nice insight into trends and things that may be going on in the industry. Dont use my statements as gospel. I could be wrong and PS4 could take November. Im as excited for NPD as everyone else.

pfft, so much focus on the two big consoles, how did 3DS and Wii U do? :p
The final week was also the same week where MS announced the price drop for the holidays, so realistically sales cratered,IMO.
I would agree, except 1) SO bundle
Americans waiting for white consoles to buy in, racists /s
and 2) from September sales (knowing that the highest point was during Destiny week), there's no reason for the first 3 weeks of October to be higher than the average

That's assuming that the final week was the same average as the other 3, and I don't think that's likely. The weekly average for the One was 42k. The final week had the SO bundle, so I would think the 4th week would have been higher than the "average week". Also their PR said that they were outselling the PS4, which had a weekly average of around ~75k, so unless the PS4 had a little boost from CoD, the final week for the One would have had to be bigger than 42k for the 3x to outsell the PS4.

Also, going on to the 3x, that doesn't mean X number times 3 with MS. The last time they had PR for the One in the US, they said that the One did more than 2x as much as May in June. It just wasn't May x2, but more of May x~2.5.

If only we had info on the SO bundles numbers.
That's been a point I stressed before, too; the average isn't static. But what I hadn't considered was the SO bundle; I thought it came out earlier in that month actually, not in the last week. So it's extremely possible then sales of the non-SO units dropped, but the SO bundle itself more than made up for it.

It would be very nice if we had SO bundle #s, I agree. But I guess someone can kinda extrapolate that based on how much SO sold in October. And w/ the PS4 weekly average as you've said, and the SO bundle coming the same month, I guess I can see it having done a lot better in that last week.

It's funny, really, b/c I had other guesses @ 710k-798k for XBO. With this new info I'm strongly tempted to go with something in the middle of that.

EDIT: Went back and revised my numbers, fwiw.

Prine

Banned
I agree 100%. We won't know the outcome until NPD. There are plenty of major big box retailers with their own sales data, not to mention all the online deals for the month. Anyone othet than NPD, MS, or Sony, telling you they know who won NPD would be lieing. I have only stated what I believe based on what I myself have to work with.

I caution users to simply use my posts as a nice insight into trends and things that may be going on in the industry. Dont use my statements as gospel. I could be wrong and PS4 could take November. Im as excited for NPD as everyone else.

Thanks for the info buddy, at least its something. Far more meaningful then anecdotes.

donny2112

Donny can we swap the tags around as long as we keep the quantities formats?

Yeah, the ordering doesn't matter. I usually order my predictions from highest to lowest, for example. The system name format is what matters for the parser.

Did they change the reporting period for NPD? The new period usually begins on the first Sunday of the month?

edit: I guess they did this year since August was the same, didn't catch the switch over

No switchover. It's a 4-4-5 week monthly retail calendar. Ever 6 years or so, they have a leap month making January 5 weeks. Otherwise, they stick with the 4-4-5 week setup. That doesn't always work out to the first Sunday in a month, so don't assume that it would.
Leap years are not every four years, either. Did you know that 2100 will not be a leap year? Be careful of assuming things follow a pattern just because it's always followed that pattern when you checked on it. :)
jvm made up an NPD calendar Google doc that's linked in the OP, if you have a question on a particular NPD period. (link)

It's crazy that the xbone is still going for 329 on amazon right now for cyber Monday while the gta ps4 bundle is at 500. Would it really hurt them to just keep that bundle at 399?

Anyways I'm guessing:

Xbone: 1 million

Ps4: 670k

WiiU: 450k

It's crazy that the xbone is still going for 329 on amazon right now for cyber Monday while the gta ps4 bundle is at 500. Would it really hurt them to just keep that bundle at 399?

Anyways I'm guessing:

It is a third party seller. Only Solo and Destiny bundles in stock at the moment.

driver116

But yeah, whatever.
Act suprised when we finally get the NPD results thread.
Or maybe, we have just to wait until tomorrow.
I'm sure MS is already prepin' their PR statement for Black Friday as we speak.

This isn't a case of arguing that against Xbone selling the most units in Nov, it's arguing against the quality of your sources. I'm guessing Xbone sells more units in Nov, but I'm sure as hell not going to quote twitter, sightings shots and word of mouth. And on top of that you're being condescending to other people, citing the aforementioned 'sources' as proof. I shake my head.

Conduit

Banned

Anyways I'm guessing:

I think only Amazon has that price. Why, i don't know.

Chocolate & Vanilla

Fuck Strawberry
This isn't a case of arguing that against Xbone selling the most units in Nov, it's arguing against the quality of your sources. I'm guessing Xbone sells more units in Nov, but I'm sure as hell not going to quote twitter, sightings shots and word of mouth. And on top of that you're being condescending to other people, citing the aforementioned 'sources' as proof. I shake my head.

Couldn't have said it better

Lemondish

Anyways I'm guessing:

That's a third party seller, not amazon. It's at that price because it sold out from amazon.

Was that the reasoning for your guesses?

quetz67

Banned
I have been checking the monthly ranking updates daily (it's a habit when bored at work), and the normally daily updates of the Amazon Monthly rankings stopped 1 week before the Thanksgiving week, which coincided with the week of release of GTA V. The hourly rankings showed the PS4 rising to #1 spot for days,and then still staying up there up until near Black Friday when it dropped to prepare for the GTA V bundle arrival, but not one product was moving up or down on the monthly rankings for days.
I then proceeded on to checking the other few pages that have Yearly/ Monthly rankings (books and audio CDs) and they had the same problem.

The Monthly rankings page updates re-started right around Black Friday for all three product types, but nothing tells us if they are caught up with backlogged data or not unfortunately. I don't think that we can consider the current November Amazon rankings accurate for at least a few more days in the upcoming week imo.

Nah, I checked pretty often too and rankings did change. There are even some threads where people posted the rankings when XB1 bundle pretty much stayed at #10 while PS4 moved up slowly to #14 again in the days right before BF.

I think the rankings are fine, just that #3 vs. #17 + #20 is hard to value, but it probably just means XB1 took November on Amazon, which makes sense because PS4 did not clearly dominate BF as many assumed.

Lemondish

Nah, I checked pretty often too and rankings did change. There are even some threads where people posted the rankings when XB1 bundle pretty much stayed at #10 while PS4 moved up slowly to #14 again in the days right before BF.

I think the rankings are fine, just that #3 vs. #17 + #20 is hard to value, but it probably just means XB1 took November on Amazon, which makes sense because PS4 did not clearly dominate BF as many assumed.

Who was assuming that would happen? MS was throwing the black in Black Friday out the window in order to win the PR battle this month. I don't think anybody assumed this would be easy for Sony or that they could effectively compete in the PR wars.

Gurish

Some people actually believe PS4 can win this month against MS's crazy deals? cute :)

here is mine:
[360] 100k
[3DS] 400k
[PS3] 70k
[PS4] 800k
[WIU] 450k
[XB1] 1100k

DryvBy

A $330 console with 2 games and promos with another game vs. A $399 game with 2 games.

Yeah, Microsoft won this.

I'm hoping this will make Sony quit slacking with some things. The messaging system is still broken.

"DryvBy posted this 6 minutes ago."

Death2494

I'm surprised they haven't done it yet.
I was checking amazon best sellers hourly and gamestop best seller, ps4 Gta5 remained at the top until it sold out. Also you can see that ps4 was dominant in software, according to Amazon.com. During this month retail stores tend to dominate, so it's hard to compare them to online stores

Gurish

A $330 console with 2 games and promos with another game vs. A $399 game with 2 games.

Yeah, Microsoft won this.

I'm hoping this will make Sony quit slacking with some things. The messaging system is still broken.

"DryvBy posted this 6 minutes ago."

Yea some gave a free game, some gave 12 months of gold like Amazon, some just gave 50$ gift cards on top of it, deals were crazy and not only that, they've even started before BF so XB1 had at least an extra day with those insane deals, Console was practically below 300$ against a 400$ one, Sony doesn't stand a chance.

Death2494

Never earlier than Tuesday. Nintendo is usually monday (today), MS tomorrow, Sony wednesday or thursday, if they decide too.

Their last announcement was on a Wednesday November 12th soo.... With the whole "best selling console 10 days after price cut" fiasco

Miles X

Their last announcement was on a Wednesday soo.... With the whole "best selling console 10 days after price cut" fiasco

I'm talkng about Black Friday announcements, what has the 10m thing got to do with anything?

MS always release BF PR on a tuesday, and Nintendo usually always Monday (except one year it was Wednesday)

Death2494

I'm talkng about Black Friday announcements, what has the 10m thing got to do with anything?

MS always release BF PR on a tuesday, and Nintendo usually always Monday (except one year it was Wednesday)

You didn't specify, black friday. You simply stated announcement. To correct you again, almost 10 million. And we all know that number is sold in.

Miles X

You didn't specify, black friday. You simply stated announcement. To correct you again, almost 10 million. And we all know that number is sold in.

Oh god who fucking cares? I wasn't debating about that at all. It's pretty evident what I was talking about given I listed all the companies and when they are likely to release PR, do you need it spelt out for you or something ...

quetz67

Banned
Who was assuming that would happen? MS was throwing the black in Black Friday out the window in order to win the PR battle this month. I don't think anybody assumed this would be easy for Sony or that they could effectively compete in the PR wars.

Obviously all those who think/thought PS4 will win November. All those who said November is won on BF, many implicitly or explicitly saying it will be PS4 that does it. I have read lots of those.

I personally wouldn't bet on the one or other outcome. All I can say for sure: Sony again sold buttloads of gift cards, controllers and games, so I don't think they need to worry about being #2 in hardware for a month.

Conduit

Banned
Some people actually believe PS4 can win this month against MS's crazy deals? cute :)

here is mine:
[360] 100k
[3DS] 400k
[PS3] 70k
[PS4] 800k
[WIU] 450k
[XB1] 1100k

Same as some people believe MS won the month. Just remember March and crazy Titanfall deals. There are always surprises.

Death2494

Oh god who fucking cares? I wasn't debating about that at all. It's pretty evident what I was talking about given I listed all the companies and when they are likely to release PR, do you need it spelt out for you or something ...
calm down, like many others on this site I'm assuming Microsoft took the month.

Obviously all those who think/thought PS4 will win November. All those who said November is won on BF, many implicitly or explicitly saying it will be PS4 that does it. I have read lots of those.

I personally wouldn't bet on the one or other outcome. All I can say for sure: Sony again sold buttloads of gift cards, controllers and games, so I don't think they need to worry about being #2 in hardware for a month.
It wasn't so much that Sony would necessarily win Black Friday, but that the amount of sales on Black Friday and the following weekend dwarfs the rest of the month.

Elandyll

Banned

I know for a fact that the VG rankings did not change for several days (in the monthly one), and when the updating resumed is when the PS4 went to rank 14. You are free to not believe me, but Im pretty sure I wasn't the only one to notice, and it happened to all three product types (vg, books, audio cds).
In any case, rankings will still probably shift for the next few days, if only to account for returns and baclog cleanups. Does it every month, even when the monthly rankings aren't borked for days.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Yeah, hopefully this year we get BF interviews / PRs. Unless something unexpected happened, MS is going to release it. I'd say Nintendo as well, given SSB, Pokémon and amiibo.

quetz67

Banned
I know for a fact that the VG rankings did not change for several days (in the monthly one), and when the updating resumed is when the PS4 went to rank 14. You are free to not believe me, but Im pretty sure I wasn't the only one to notice, and it happened to all three product types (vg, books, audio cds).
In any case, rankings will still probably shift for the next few days, if only to account for returns and baclog cleanups. Does it every month, even when the monthly rankings aren't borked for days.

I believe that it was that way for you, but I checked the monthly results too and it did not jump to #14 for me, it went up position by position over several days. I could search for the posts where someone posted the results for 3 different days, but I am too lazy.

Top Bottom