• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

November Wrasslin' |OT| Survival Season Without The G

bjork

Netflix ceased to be of use when A Town Called Panic wasn't streaming. Losing the Criterion stuff was bad enough, but that was just too much.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I dumped Netflix and Unblockus. I ain't got time to waste watching TV. I have maybe 2 hours a day of time to myself. I don't get my value. I'd rather be playing vidya games instead of sitting still watching something, even if I am trolling Sony fans while I do it.

Chromecast has been a blessing for more wrasslin though. Pick a show from 93 and just go. Been watching so much more wrestling since I bought it.

Kaladin

So wait, they plant the seeds for an elimination type match on Raw then just go lolnar and do a regular tag team match at the PPV instead?

:\

I think Vince or someone in WWE hates the traditional Survivor Series match. They have been slowly doing away with them or if they do do them, they're forced and / or just not appealing so that they lose favor with the fans who complain each year about not having one or not having enough of them.

Kaladin

Netflix ceased to be of use when A Town Called Panic wasn't streaming. Losing the Criterion stuff was bad enough, but that was just too much.

This is why I also sub to Hulu and Amazon Prime....what Netflix doesn't have, they might and I can get it on Amazon Instant if it's not a part of the Prime services.

I dumped Netflix and Unblockus. I ain't got time to waste watching TV. I have maybe 2 hours a day of time to myself. I don't get my value. I'd rather be playing vidya games instead of sitting still watching something, even if I am trolling Sony fans while I do it.

Chromecast has been a blessing for more wrasslin though. Pick a show from 93 and just go. Been watching so much more wrestling since I bought it.

While I enjoy gaming, I enjoy TV and movies more. I can't game every day like some folk.

Hey, I work in the TV industry. You punks better have TV subscriptions!

Suck it, TV subs are expensive. Let me pick the channels I want for a low fixed price.

I'll start giving a shit about TV again when someone, somewhere starts producing a sci-fi TV show that's worth a damn. And I mean proper sci-fi, not some goddamn personal drama wrapped in a sci-fi setting, a goddamn sci-fi.

Mr. Sandman said:
I think Vince or someone in WWE hates the traditional Survivor Series match. They have been slowly doing away with them or if they do do them, they're forced and / or just not appealing so that they lose favor with the fans who complain each year about not having one or not having enough of them.

Gotta be Vince. They seem to despise the notion of a tournament, so we'll never get another proper Survivor Series, or the return of King of the Ring. Hopefully H's sees their value, though. I'd love for WWE to have a big annual tournament like they do in Japan.

A few notes from this weeks Bauer and pollock

Wrestlemania 22 iriginally y was going to have Eddie vs HBK and Bret vs Vince.

Also Bauer is starting a podcast with Jim cornette, first episode hits tomorrow

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Battlestar Galactica started strong and turned to shit, shit, shit. SHIT. Pretty early too. I think it was Season 2.5? Just trash.

No doubt the Shield would be face in a feud with the Wyatt's. They have the more "neutral" characters and look more of a "face", besides Ambrose. This can also lead to Reigns monster face push. The Wyatt's just look like evil heels and their gimmicks way more heelish than Shield.

This would be the first time in a long time I would be hyped for a WWE feud.

Kaladin

I'll start giving a shit about TV again when someone, somewhere starts producing a sci-fi TV show that's worth a damn. And I mean proper sci-fi, not some goddamn personal drama wrapped in a sci-fi setting, a goddamn sci-fi.

Part of sci-fi is dealing with human problems in a science fiction setting.

Have you given Continuum or Orphan Black a shot? Both the best sci-fi series on TV.

That works out so well for TNA.....especially when they determine the winners by who is having contract negotiations that given year.

TNA gets things wrong so often I have to wonder if they're actively trying to screw things up. Surely WWE's creative department could book a better annual tournament?

Gotta be Vince. They seem to despise the notion of a tournament, so we'll never get another proper Survivor Series, or the return of King of the Ring. Hopefully H's sees their value, though. I'd love for WWE to have a big annual tournament like they do in Japan.

It's so stupid because tournaments are the easiest fucking way to book a month or two of compelling interesting stories. Where would Austin be if not for King of the Ring? Probably still big, but they would have missed out on the Uncle Scrooge money bin filled by Austin 3:16 crap.

IM GOING TO WRESTLEMANIA FOR THE SECOND YEAR IN A ROW!!!

I DONT GET HYPE! I STAY HYPE!!!!

Right on dude. Just bought my tickets as well, this'll be my second after Miami

Kaladin

TNA gets things wrong so often I have to wonder if they're actively trying to screw things up. Surely WWE's creative department could book a better annual tournament?

You mean the company that has a clearly defined jobber - lower - mid - upper-mid - main event structure? You think they would be able to craft a tournament that used a sizable portion of their roster and provided suspense as to who might actually win?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Oh My!
Vince McMahon has become ill and was just about to make a King of the Ring bracket for the next set of Raws, culminating with the finals on PPV! Only you can book this!

Please create a tournament bracket that you would use, and a clear direction for the storyline with a new King of the Ring!

Perspicacity said:
It's so stupid because tournaments are the easiest fucking way to book a month or two of compelling interesting stories. Where would Austin be if not for King of the Ring? Probably still big, but they would have missed out on the Uncle Scrooge money bin filled by Austin 3:16 crap.

So much this, tournaments are so beneficial when done right. New Japan might annoy some with their 'parity booking' of the G1, but they use that tournament so well to their advantage each year, it's hard to criticise.

Part of sci-fi is dealing with human problems in a science fiction setting.

True, but when that becomes the main focus of the show over exploratory, speculative science-fiction stories, that can be a problem; see, Stargate Universe season 1. Everyone wanted to see the ramifications of a ship-full of humans getting themselves trapped in a completely different galaxy, not the ramifications of how this would effect their loved ones back on Earth. By the time they fixed that show, it was already too late, whereas if it had just concentrated on being a Stargate show and not trying to ape the BSG reboot's style, it might not have got cancelled in two seasons.

Mr. Sandman said:
Have you given Continuum or Orphan Black a shot? Both the best sci-fi series on TV.

I watched the pilots of both, but neither grabbed me. I have thought about going back to Orphan Black, though, as it seemed to be getting a lot of positive responses.

What I'm really looking for is another Star Trek, another Babylon 5, another Space: Above & Beyond.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
You'll never get another Star Trek: TOS Boots. You can't improve on the best ST series. Timeless and perfect. Next Generation was a nice try, but too many filler goofball episodes dilute its contributions. TOS was perfect and every episode was a treat, save the tribbles.

Jim cornette experience episode 1

Some topics discussed on this episode include: Chris Hero's release from WWE, Dr. Jerry Graham, Jerry Lawler and his Batmobile, Cornette unearths an amazing article, the mysterious "A.M. Cornette", a FAKE Cornette?!, a revelation that might just make Vince McMahon re-examine his entire life, gimmick brothers, Rob Ford, Cornette's problems at the Canadian border, gun cntrol and more!

http://mlwradio.libsyn.com/the-jim-cornette-experience-1/size/2

Oh My!
Vince McMahon has become ill and was just about to make a King of the Ring bracket for the next set of Raws, culminating with the finals on PPV! Only you can book this!

Please create a tournament bracket that you would use, and a clear direction for the storyline with a new King of the Ring!

16 man tourney featuring indy and international stars. Winner gets a WWE contract and title shot.

Kaladin

I watched the pilots of both, but neither grabbed me. I have thought about going back to Orphan Black, though, as it seemed to be getting a lot of positive responses.

What I'm really looking for is another Star Trek, another Babylon 5, another Space: Above & Beyond.

Continuum is the best tech / story driven sci-fi on TV. Almost Human might change that though. The pilot kind of lays it all out so I'm not sure if continuing with that one will change your mind.. Orphan Black is the best character driven sci-fi I've seen in a long time. It really picks up after the pilot.

Also, I think the time of space centered sci-fi is gone for a while......I don't foresee anything coming anytime soon.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I wish wrestling podcasts would stop thinking this Rob Ford shit is something people outside of Canada care about. zzzz we had Marion Berry ages ago, this shit is passé

16 man tourney featuring indy and international stars. Winner gets a WWE contract and title shot.

but WHO goes WHERE?

challonge.com to make your King of the Ring bracket, and chop your 16 in half brother!

strobogo

Banned
Real sci-fi is pretty stupid and overly nerdy. You can't get me to watch a real sci-fi TV show. Movies are different, depending on how hard sci-fi they go. Alien and Aliens are my favorite usages of sci-fi, mostly because they aren't really sci-fi. I don't like sci-fi or sword/sorcery genres. I'm trying to force myself to like GoT, but the setting is so immediately off putting that I had to skip a few episodes right at the start.

Kaladin

I did a King of the Ring in 2k14 Universe mode. The semi-finals turned out to be Triple H vs CM Punk and Brock Lesnar vs Ryback. The finals were CM Punk vs Brock Lesnar with CM Punk winning the tournament to become The Punk King (an homage to The Macho King).

Oh My!

BAM!

Week 1 - RAW: Block A

• Antonio Cesaro vs Tyson Kidd
  • Seth Rollins vs Jack Swagger
  • John Cena vs Justin Gabriel
  • William Regal vs Sin Cara

• Block A Fatal Four-Way Final:
    Antonio Cesaro vs Seth Rollins vs John Cena vs William Regal
  • Block A Winner:
    Antonio Cesaro

Week 2 - RAW: Block B

• The Miz vs Brock Lesnar
  • Rob Van Dam vs The Great Khali
  • CM Punk vs Christian
  • Dolph Ziggler vs Drew McIntyre

• Block B Fatal Four-Way Final:
    Brock Lesnar vs Rob Van Dam vs CM Punk vs Dolph Ziggler
  • Block B Winner:
    Brock Lesnar

Week 3 - RAW: Block C

• Bray Wyatt vs Daniel Bryan
  • Tensai vs Wade Barrett
  • Big E Langston vs Zack Ryder
  • Goldust vs Santino Marella

• Block C Fatal Four-Way Final:
    Daniel Bryan vs Tensai vs Big E Langston vs Santino Marella
  • Block C Winner:
    Daniel Bryan

Week 4 - RAW: Block D

• Randy Orton vs Luke Harper
  • Damien Sandow vs Kofi Kingston
  • Yoshi Tatsu vs Dean Ambrose
  • Fandango vs Roman Reigns

• Block D Fatal Four-Way Final:
    Randy Orton vs Damien Sandow vs Dean Ambrose vs Roman Reigns
  • Block D Winner:
    Roman Reigns

Week 5 - PPV: King of the Ring

• KotR Semi-Final #1:
    Antonio Cesaro vs Daniel Bryan
  • KotR Semi-Final #2:
    Brock Lesnar vs Roman Reigns

• King of the Ring - FINAL:
    Antonio Cesaro vs Brock Lesnar
  • King of the Ring 2014 Winner:
    Antonio Cesaro

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
BAM!

Week 1 - RAW: Block A

• Antonio Cesaro vs Tyson Kidd
  • Seth Rollins vs Jack Swagger
  • John Cena vs Justin Gabriel
  • William Regal vs Sin Cara

• Block A Fatal Four-Way Final:
    Antonio Cesaro vs Seth Rollins vs John Cena vs William Regal
  • Block A Winner:
    Antonio Cesaro

Week 2 - RAW: Block B

• The Miz vs Brock Lesnar
  • Rob Van Dam vs The Great Khali
  • CM Punk vs Christian
  • Dolph Ziggler vs Drew McIntyre

• Block B Fatal Four-Way Final:
    Brock Lesnar vs Rob Van Dam vs CM Punk vs Dolph Ziggler
  • Block B Winner:
    Brock Lesnar

Week 3 - RAW: Block C

• Bray Wyatt vs Daniel Bryan
  • Tensai vs Wade Barrett
  • Big E Langston vs Zack Ryder
  • Goldust vs Santino Marella

• Block C Fatal Four-Way Final:
    Daniel Bryan vs Tensai vs Big E Langston vs Santino Marella
  • Block C Winner:
    Daniel Bryan

Week 4 - RAW: Block D

• Randy Orton vs Luke Harper
  • Damien Sandow vs Kofi Kingston
  • Yoshi Tatsu vs Dean Ambrose
  • Fandango vs Roman Reigns

• Block D Fatal Four-Way Final:
    Randy Orton vs Damien Sandow vs Dean Ambrose vs Roman Reigns
  • Block D Winner:
    Roman Reigns

Week 5 - PPV: King of the Ring

• KotR Semi-Final #1:
    Antonio Cesaro vs Daniel Bryan
  • KotR Semi-Final #2:
    Brock Lesnar vs Roman Reigns

• King of the Ring - FINAL:
    Antonio Cesaro vs Brock Lesnar
  • King of the Ring 2014 Winner:
    Antonio Cesaro

Thanks for doing this super detailed. I'm gonna pick this apart.

So, for Block A, the best way to eliminate these huge favorites (like Cener) is to put it in a Fatal Four Way - so they don't have to be involved in losing. I suppose with Block A's ending you could spin off Cena vs Shield in some form. Regal is honestly not gonna get any more TV time...let's be real.

Block B is interesting. Bork legit kills Miz, Khali can't win, Christian goes where he deserves and for some reason Zig-man gets pushed. I'd assume for their Fatal Four Way Lesnar murders Ziggler, because THAT'S WHAT HE DOES which also mops up Punk for a feud with RVD for a meaningless title.

Block C...hmm. Kind of surprised you wouldn't push Bray Wyatt further as you can develop him in a feud with, well, hmm...anyone really. I'd rework that whole set to see what other options would come out of it. Still, Tensai over Barruh? That's bold booking. It'd be cool to see Tensai turn vicious like GIANT BERNARDO again on Santino. Bryan winning though, I dunno. I'm kind of against someone like Santino being in a Fatal Four Way as he'd be the obvious target. They could work that whole Four Way to be a contest of who can get to Santino first and people get constantly foiled in their quest for the easy pin. Give Santino a spark near the end so people stand up, then BAM, slapped into submission by Bryan. I can see merits on this one. And frees up Big E to feud with either a more vicious Tensai or with comedy man Santiner. Or even Bryan, you can take that with you for later.

Block D. This one's odd - 2 Shield members in the Four Way, Luke Harper buried. We'd probably see a spear-into-RKO somewhere for Roman, as much as I like him and I know he is the best member of the Shield I can't see him winning that. I could see them putting Dean over as he's more of a mastermind-style for Shield shenanigans. I dunno! But yeah Fandango isn't getting that chance. Tatsu buried by Ambrose. Thank god Kofi doesn't make it.

At the end of it all though - can people buy Cesaro beating Lesnar? We know Lesnar can work his ASS off bumping for people and selling for them. Maybe go with a "Roman Reigns speared Lesnar so hard, he has taped ribs" stuff and let that be his weakness for Cesaro to capitalize on?

I do like the idea of Cesaro being the next Kang of the Rang, but I don't know about that Block C and D shenanigans. I'd be alright swapping out Reigns for Orton as a finalist. Block C is just a weird one...and I'd like to see Big E get further.

bjork

This is why I also sub to Hulu and Amazon Prime....what Netflix doesn't have, they might and I can get it on Amazon Instant if it's not a part of the Prime services.

I know Hulu has Absolutely Fabulous and The Young Ones now... if I didn't own them on DVD already, that'd be enough to get me to sign up.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I need Wrasslin-Connoisseur-GAF to help me.

Great Norman Smiley matches NO LATER THAN 1997?

somedevil

Here is the Raw Ratings Breakdown for the 11/4 Raw:

For Raw on 11/4, which did a 2.75 rating and 3.89 million viewers, here is how the quarters went. The Wyatt Family beating down C.M. Punk after the Punk vs. Luke Harper match, plus the Paul Heyman audio interview gained 32,000 viewers. Ryback vs. Great Khali lost 414,000 viewers. Alberto Del Rio vs. Kofi Kingston gained 31,000 viewers. Randy Orton vs. Big E Langston at 9 p.m. gained 478,000 viewers, which is good. Fandango & Summer Rae vs. Natalya & Tyson Kidd lost 128,000 viewers. The John Cena interview talking about breast cancer awareness lost 446,000 viewers. The Cena & Goldust & Cody Rhodes vs. Antonio Cesaro & Jack Swagger & Damien Sandow match gained 638,000 viewers in the 10 p.m. time slot which is very strong. Curtis Axel vs. Dolph Ziggler lost 1,020,000 viewers. That’s where that giant third hour drop came from and may have been partially due to halftime ending of the football game. Usos vs. 3MB in a two-on-three match and The Bella Twins & Eva Marie vs. A.J. Lee & Tamina Snuka & Aksana gained 30,000 viewers. The final segment itself with the HHH/Big Show settlement plus Show vs. Orton & The Shield in the handicap match gained 861,000 viewers, which is one of the best final segment growth periods. So it wasn’t the final segment that died and killed the third hour as much as the period from 10:15 to 10:45 where viewership was low.

Well everyone was a winner except Ziggler and Axel.

Top Bottom