• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

November Wrasslin' |OT| Survival Season Without The G

The Sony customer service guy told me that he's been getting a lot of calls about the PS4 and it being defective. He then asked me if I wanted to buy a 2 year warranty for $60...

strobogo

Banned
legitshook.com

WCW Thunder 10/21/99

The go home show for Halloween Havoc. I don't know if this was taped before or after Russo's first day. I guess we'll find out on this show.

I really like that the Thunder intro is full of clips from early 1998 and even still has nWo vs WCW stuff in the graphics.

The Maestro (Ooh La La) vs Norman Smiley

Norman! And Stro! Stro debuts by playing piano while being lowered from the ceiling. He wasn't acknowledged, but there he was. He shows up to wrestle a few weeks later and basically gets squashed with no explanation of who he is or his character. Norman wins and the Maestro character is not off to a strong start.

iE8UjmdzOuFdw.gif

Disco/Lash hype video.

MVP vs Horace

MVP is the renamed Dale Torborg in his baseball uniform. No one cares about a wrestling baseball player in 1999. Horace won with a Samoan drop.

They show some stuff from Saturday Night, which appears to have more guys involved in storylines that make sense than Nitro.

Flair/DDP hype video.

Curly Bill vs Lash LeRoux

Why would Lash be fighting a heavyweight a few days before his Cruiserweight title match? Why does Lash get a PPV title shot to begin with? And why did he attack Disco on Nitro when Disco hasn't done a single thing to Lash? They haven't had any interaction whatsoever before that. Lash wins.

First Family/Filthy Animals hype video.

Harlem Heat vs Steve Regal/Dave Taylor

More jobber entrances since WCW again taped a title match and then changed titles on a live show before the taped show aired. The First Family hit the ring and caused a DQ.

Sid hype video.

Goldberg/Sid hype video.

Goldberg hype video.

Lol, yes, they really did a Sid, Sid/Goldberg, then Goldberg video package all in a row.

Berlyn/Brad Armstrong hype video.

Kendall Windham vs Brad Armstrong

Ref got distracted, Virgil accidentally hit Kendall with his boot, and Brad won with the Russian leg sweep.

Halloween Havoc hype video.

Juventud Guerrera/Silver King vs Blitzkrieg/Kaz Hayashi

Blitz and Kaz got a jobber entrance. Blitz didn't get to do anything cool. Juvi pinned Kaz with the Juvi Driver.

Buff getting BURIED on Nitro recap.

Rick Steiner vs La Parka

It'd be great if Rick Steiner did the same thing as Buff did. Parka comes out with a plastic bucket chair tonight. Parka got destroyed.

Benoit/Rick Steiner hype video.

Sting/Hogan hype video.

Full Nitro recap video that was longer than all the PPV hype videos. It was the entire show turned into a montage. Like, every segment. So lazy.

The Total Package vs Buff Bagwell

Buff got a jobber entrance and seems to have no problem wrestling tonight after his hissy fit on Nitro. Liz is there after getting hit with a guitar on Nitro. They really should try not to have weird continuity errors by actually planning out what happens on Nitro before they tape two weeks of Thunder that will end up not acknowledging things that happened becuase they don't make sense any more. Lex won.

DQ Count:
1 out of 8 matches.

Announced card for Halloween Havoc:

Sting vs Hulk Hogan WCW Championship
Sid vs Goldberg WCW US Championship
The Total Package vs Bret Hart
DDP vs Ric Flair
Filthy Animals vs First Family WCW Tag Team Championships
Rick Steiner vs Chris Benoit WCW TV Championship
Lash LeRoux vs Disco Inferno WCW Cruiserweight Championship
Berlyn vs Brad Armstrong

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
Any other NXT stars close to being brought up? I liked Xavier's debut. Ryder needs a tag partner.

gurudyne

Any other NXT stars close to being brought up? I liked Xavier's debut. Ryder needs a tag partner.

Some speculation about Emma based around that promo they had for her this past episode. Promo's just has her addressing the camera behind a podium like a despot about World Wrestling Emmatainment/showing off her signature stance. Promo didn't do anything for her for the NXT crowd as she's already established there, so people think it's for a RAW debut ala Fandangoo.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
Some speculation about Emma based around that promo they had for her this past episode. Promo's just has her addressing the camera behind a podium like a despot about World Wrestling Emmatainment/showing off her signature stance. Promo didn't do anything for her for the NXT crowd as she's already established there, so people think it's for a RAW debut ala Fandangoo.

If she shows up and somehow is tied to Fandango, then count me in. Fandango needs more airtime. She could fit in with Ryder. Too bad Christian isn't goofy as he used to be or she could apply for his character, too.

Main event was pretty fun. I don't know why it wasn't at Survivor Series, though, since it makes more sense than EITHER of the two SS-style matches that are actually happening. Was it so important to have DB and Punk against JUST the Wyatts? The whole "can The Shield and The Wyatts" work together drama would have added actually interesting, unpredictable layers to the PPV, which might have resulted in, hmmm, BUYS.

Main event was pretty fun. I don't know why it wasn't at Survivor Series, though, since it makes more sense than EITHER of the two SS-style matches that are actually happening. Was it so important to have DB and Punk against JUST the Wyatts? The whole "can The Shield and The Wyatts" work together drama would have added actually interesting, unpredictable layers to the PPV, which might have resulted in, hmmm, BUYS.

Yeah, could have been a nice one hour elimination match.

Jamie OD

Oh I did.

I missed Xavier Woods' debut tonight too. Did they explain anything about him, or did he just show up?

He came out with R-Truth and got introduced to the audience by him. The announce team brought up his college education and NXT. That's about it character wise. He got to keep the "It's Morphin' Time!" Clothesline and Sole Food finisher. Cole called it Best In The Woods, then Lost In The Woods afterwards. Happy to see him on the main roster.

The American Wolves, Davey Richards and Eddie Edwards, reported today to the WWE Performance Center. We are told that they will be in Orlando, Florida for a week-long tryout.

As previously reported in the Elite section of PWInsider.com, there have been some in WWE who have pushed for the pair to be signed despite some resistance from those who feel the company is currently stocked with good workers from the independent scene.

One WWE source believed the one week tryout could be stage one of the pair receiving a short-term trial deal that would send them to developmental for a few months.

Doesn't sound like WWE are terribly keen...if only Davey hadn't burned his bridges in Japan, I would have liked to see the Wolves in NJPW. Still, I'm sure they'll impress if given a chance at the performance centre. You hear a lot from other wrestlers about just how hard Davey & Eddie work, so it's not like they'll have to overcome the same problems as Hero, just the problems of being short and being a tag team in WWE.

Aiii

So not worth it
That was an extended way to say "AJ fainted from dehydration at a house show and we're making a joke about it".

Yep, even had to get the "I think AJ is gonna faint now" line in.

---
Look guys:
vlcsnap-2013-11-19-09qbfok.png

You can now watch shitty ass Raw segments in 720p HD on Xbox One!

Aiii

So not worth it
Cesaro was birthed via cesarean section.

Edit: Or is that the name of that move when he leapfrogs over Swagger and stomps on his opponent's stomach; The Cesaro Section?

Heh, could be.

---

WWE Champion Randy Orton vs. Big Show

World Heavyweight Champion John Cena vs. Alberto Del Rio

CM Punk & Daniel Bryan vs. Erick Rowan & Luke Harper

WWE Tag Team Champions Cody Rhodes & Goldust, The Usos & Rey Mysterio vs. The Shield & The Real Americans (Traditional Survivor Series Elimination Tag Team Match)

Natalya, The Bellas, The Funkadactyls, JoJo & Eva Marie vs. Divas Champion AJ Lee, Tamina Snuka, Kaitlyn, Rosa, Summer Rae, Aksana & Alicia Fox

Kofi Kingston vs. The Miz (Survivor Series Kickoff Match)

WHO IS READY TO SPEND 50 DOLLARS?

Also, this will be the fifth PPV in a row where the main event will end with a BS screwjob ending, mark my words.

Aiii

So not worth it
Dave Meltzer reports that he got a text saying Ryback is in the doghouse.

Doesn't know why, but he is, maybe he can lose to Dolph Ziggler in one of their many upcoming Superstars and Main Event bouts.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
So who's putting up the Survival Series thread in the OT?

It's big four time, people. This card looks amazing and I can't be some small minded (YES I SAID SMALL, GODDAMMIT!) are slagging it.

bjork

Read the report, sounded like a pretty bad episode.

Do you guys think that they'll ever get away from the tired evil boss characters shtick? I know it's been around for ~15 years now, but I hate to think that it's permanent.

DominoKid

Do you guys think that they'll ever get away from the tired evil boss characters shtick? I know it's been around for ~15 years now, but I hate to think that it's permanent.

i hope so. it's very played out.

Aiii

So not worth it
So Edwards and Richards are now working in Orlando at developmental, but according to Meltzer they're not actually signed to contracts. They somehow have to prove their worth to Triple H, because he's not convinced of them or something like that. So they'll work over there, still do indies and then either get a contract or not.

Man God

Non-Canon Member

It's actually as old as pro wrestling being a rigged stage show.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So Edwards and Richards are now working in Orlando at developmental, but according to Meltzer they're not actually signed to contracts. They somehow have to prove their worth to Triple H, because he's not convinced of them or something like that. So they'll work over there, still do indies and then either get a contract or not.

Haha, sounds like the vanilla midgets didn't get signed after all. They've had several people in the past try to do that for years and not get a contract.

bjork

It's actually as old as pro wrestling being a rigged stage show.

I prefer a no-good Jack Tunney that makes a statement like twice a year versus a good chunk of a weekly show being dedicated to these characters who don't work well in their role.

Aiii

So not worth it
Haha, sounds like the vanilla midgets didn't get signed after all. They've had several people in the past try to do that for years and not get a contract.

Well, I guess it's still a good deal for them. They still get to do indies, and get a fairly steady paycheck from WWE as well for the time they work there.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Well, I guess it's still a good deal for them. They still get to do indies, and get a fairly steady paycheck from WWE as well for the time they work there.

If they're not working contracts, they're likely getting paid nowhere near developmental contract pay. Likely getting paid per show, and it's probably not much better than the average indies otherwise everyone would go work FCW.

Oh, you absolute bastards, PCW have booked Vader vs Mastiff on December 6th - you going to that one Jeff?

I doubt it'll be a terribly long match, but if there's one guy in the UK you want to see wrestle Vader, it's Dave Mastiff;

iblbnLZKd1t888.gif

strobogo said:
That dude is just fat. Not scary strong fat guy like Vader. Just straight up fat.

Nah, he's plenty scary strong. Believe me, he'll have no trouble man-handling Vader if that's the sort of match Vader wants to work. A fat lump he may be, but Mastiff is freakishly strong.

All these Xbox One commercials make me realize how much more tolerable a bad RAW will be starting this Friday.

"Xbox, start Forza, Xbox watch TV, go to USA Network, snap TV, Snap Internet Explorer, Go Browse NeoGAF, go to WrassleGAF."

Just pay the smallest attention to Wrestling, and whenever the fuck RAW is actually good/has a moment when it's worth watching, pause Forza, and go full screen to RAW.

You could just do it like me and watch Raw while playing 3DS and browsing WrassleGAF on your iPad. That way there's actual fun games to play, a non-IE Internet explorer, and Raw isn't in a mini-window on your TV.

Seriously, those Raw recaps in the faux XBone window made me want one even less than I do now.

Aiii

So not worth it
You could just do it like me and watch Raw while playing 3DS and browsing WrassleGAF on your iPad. That way there's actual fun games to play, a non-IE Internet explorer, and Raw isn't in a mini-window on your TV.

Seriously, those Raw recaps in the faux XBone window made me want one even less than I do now.

Or use the PS4's Remote Play on the Vita.

Next gen man, it's here.

Rey looked really stiff. Is he 100%? Was moving kinda slow

No, he's not 100%. He needs more knee strengthening and estimated it would take till early next year. He'll hit a move or two, but spend most of the match on the sidelines.

Ithil

Doesn't sound like WWE are terribly keen...if only Davey hadn't burned his bridges in Japan, I would have liked to see the Wolves in NJPW. Still, I'm sure they'll impress if given a chance at the performance centre. You hear a lot from other wrestlers about just how hard Davey & Eddie work, so it's not like they'll have to overcome the same problems as Hero, just the problems of being short and being a tag team in WWE.

I don't know. They already were in a tryout camp, and everyone else from that camp has been told they won't be signed. They've never done this personal week long tryout IN the Performance Center for anyone before, so clearly some people really want to sign them and are working hard to convince the naysayers.
And actually, them being a tag team is a plus. Triple H doesn't want any more short technical indie guys right now, since they have a lot of them, but he does want more tag teams, and they're an experienced and fun team.

Kaladin

The teams for the 7v7 Divas match:

AJ Lee & Tamina & Alicia Fox & Summer Rae & Aksana & Kaitlyn & Rosa Mendes vs. "Team Total Divas" The Bellas & The Funkadactyls & Natalya & Eva Marie & JoJo

That's going to be a clusterfuck.

Aiii

So not worth it

AJ Lee & Tamina & Alicia Fox & Summer Rae & Aksana & Kaitlyn & Rosa Mendes vs. "Team Total Divas" The Bellas & The Funkadactyls & Natalya & Eva Marie & JoJo

Here's my (no doubt very accurate) predictions:
1. You will certainly see any combination of JoJo and Eva Marie vs. Aksana and Rosa Mendes in this match.
2. There will be at least one fall every 15 seconds
3. The ending will see AJ tap out to Natalya (unless they decide on another program for AJ, but she will take the last fall to set up a title match).

I'm excited to see Eva Marie and Jojo wrestle it's gonna be so bad it's good. Eva Marie might get the final win too just so it becomes an episode of total divas

XenoRaven

As much as I want to see Cesaro in a Survivor Series match, that card isn't doing it for me. I would have been so there if the Wyatts and the Shield teamed up.

Ithil

Less than half of these people can wrestle. I think we can assume most of the falls are happening in the first minute with awful rollups.

Top Bottom