• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

November Wrasslin' |OT| Survival Season Without The G

Hasney

I need to watch NXT. I think I have only seen Emma so far. Can only say that she seems to have a fun gimmick.

She does. She can also wrassle, which is pretty great.

Really hoping her and Paige get called up soon to put on some clinics job to the Total Divas girls.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
The way females are treated by wrestling is deplorable. I would love to see some women matches and actual storylines, but apparently WWE doesn't think that's a good idea. I started watching again around Summerslam and fell in love with AJ. She had charisma and is apparently capable in the ring, but they don#t really let her do anything. Can't really judge most of the other women, because I think I have seen even less of them.

Also the name Divas is total shit.

Cosigned. I hate the Diva name. It cheapens characters.

Ithil

I need to watch NXT. I think I have only seen Emma so far. Can only say that she seems to have a fun gimmick.

Emma is decent in the ring. Not great, but decent. By Diva standards she's great, and she does an awesome Muta Lock. She probably needs to work on her athleticism above all else. Paige and Bayley are both better than her, ring wise, and Bayley has the superior gimmick.

All the improvement and SDR-training in the world goes to waste when they show up on the main roster to be fodder for some Total Divas nobody, though. Look at Summer Rae, she's worked hard to improve in NXT, both as a wrestler and as a character (the girl watched UWF tapes of Missy Hyatt in order to pick up heel mannerisms, for God's sake) and has come from Eva Marie level to completely competent in full length wrestling matches. Yet on WWE TV, she was in two Survivor Series matches, and both times didn't get a single move, just fed to John Cena's girlfriend as a comedy jobber.

That's the crazy part I think naito/ okada will be a good match. But I can see it getting rock/hoganed by nak/tanahashi

Also Goto probable would shbe won the G1 if he didn't get injured. Guy best okada too

Also they have naito his own belt that has done jack for him.

I've no doubt Okada vs Naito would be an awesome main event, but everything since the G1's been rather problematic for them - if they gave Naito the title without turning him heel in the match, they could get an unwanted reaction depending on what the crowd's like. The audience at the G1 final were certainly behind Naito, but the Osaka crowd at Power Struggle barely reacted to him or anything he had to say when he came down to confront Okada after the main event, hell, a few were even booing him.

XenoRave said:
To be fair, apart from winning the G1 tournament, Naito's build has been a bunch of Tanaka and Takahashi matches. I like those guys, but they're a far cry from the guys Okada beats every month.

Yeah, it's not been an ideal build, that's for sure. There's a certain stubbornness to it - Naito had to wrestle Yujiro because he needed his win back and he had to face Tanaka for the NEVER title, complete with a rematch for Tanaka, because that was the program they'd planned to do last year before Naito got injured. I would have just had him feud with Ibushi for a while, playing off the animosity they showed each other in their G1 match.

I don't know, I feel the opposite sometimes. Like if a diva has aspiring Hollywood dreams, people don't seem that bothered. But if a male wrestler doesn't want to spend his whole life wrestling he's dubbed a sellout.

Is that really the right correlation though or is it just that people in general don't care about wrestling ladies?

I mean people will complain on and on about "Hey why does a failed model like Alex Riley still have a job over Chris Hero?" (replace [Chris Hero] with just about any dude with a modicum of indy recognition) but there's rarely the same kind of support for talented indy wrasslin ladies. No "Hey why does Eva Marie have a job but not Portia Perez?", it's more of just a "Hey why does Eva Marie have a job?" period.

The only two ladies in recent memory with real indy support were Kong and Del Ray, because they basically existed long enough and were different enough that people were forced to pay attention.

EDIT: Oh yeah and fuck the "Divas" branding and that belt. They feel like they were focus grouped by some shitbag marketing firm when asked "Hey how do we sell wrestling to young girls?", without really considering the type of girls that would get into wrestling. There's a reason why more young wrestling gals cite Lita as an inspiration than Trish.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
With Kane's gimmick change he's probably more into this now:
305014_10151059585211443_305703858_n.jpg
Damn straight.

Xater

Emma is decent in the ring. Not great, but decent. By Diva standards she's great, and she does an awesome Muta Lock. She probably needs to work on her athleticism above all else. Paige and Bayley are both better than her, ring wise, and Bayley has the superior gimmick.

I think what I might have seen was a Paige vs. Emma match then. Does that sound right? Like I said I am not really following NXT.

Is that really the right correlation though or is it just that people in general don't care about wrestling ladies?

I mean people will complain on and on about "Hey why does a failed model like Alex Riley still have a job over Chris Hero?" (replace [Chris Hero] with just about any dude with a modicum of indy recognition) but there's rarely the same kind of support for talented indy wrasslin ladies. No "Hey why does Eva Marie have a job but not Portia Perez?", it's more of just a "Hey why does Eva Marie have a job?" period.

The only two ladies in recent memory with real indy support were Kong and Del Ray, because they basically existed long enough and were different enough that people were forced to pay attention.

Sadly I couldn't tell who to replace her with because I'm not watching the indies these days. I have no doubt that there a talented ladies out there, but I can't name them if I don't know them.

Ithil

The word Diva in itself is a negative word, definitely not one I'd use for my talent.

They should just sent AJ down to NXT for every taping.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x13htq0_wwe-nxt-2013-08-21-bayley-vs-aj-lee_sport

I notice how AJ is down in NXT, away from RAW writers, and suddenly she is a competent and nasty heel champion again, instead of fodder for the Total Divas (now on E!) , with her correct character again, and she has matches you'd expect a champion to have (rather than losing in about two moves after doing nothing for the whole Survivor Series match, to a bloody Bella of all people).

The disconnect between NXT and WWE is jarring, and I would be outright embarassed if I were in charge of the main shows, and the developmental show, meant to prepare rookies for the main roster, was a better show on every level than mine.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Currently women's wrestling in American indies is phenomenal, there's some amazing talent and I enjoy it as much as the male wrassles if not more, because it is refreshing. Not saying they're a novelty act or I like them because it's female wrestling, but it's showing an aspect of wrestling that is easily and often overlooked, and it deserves support if you're a wrasslin fan.

Ithil

Currently women's wrestling in American indies is phenomenal, there's some amazing talent and I enjoy it as much as the male wrassles if not more, because it is refreshing. Not saying they're a novelty act or I like them because it's female wrestling, but it's showing an aspect of wrestling that is easily and often overlooked, and it deserves support if you're a wrasslin fan.

Well WWE's approach to women's wrestling is self-fulfilling prophecy riddled with confirmation bias. "Portray women as interchangeble, hairpulling idiots who have shitty one minute matches and win with bad rollups" leads to people not wanting to watch said shitty matches, then WWE uses that to "prove" women's wrestling can't draw or isn't interesting to the audience and clearly they are right to portray them like this.

NXT's face women being some of the most over people on that show of course, prove that to be bullshit.

ibVq7SnMlP1dZ.gif

The only person more over than these two on NXT is Sami Zayn, and this isn't an Attitude Era type situation where they're over because they're always doing bikini contests and lap dances, like Sable or Trish.

Sadly I couldn't tell who to replace her with because I'm not watching the indies these days. I have no doubt that there a talented ladies out there, but I can't name them if I don't know them.

Check out this SHIMMER Women's Wrestling roster video from earlier in the year;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=it4PVFBMMRI

If anyone's a fan of women's wrestling they could do a hell of a lot worse than spending $30 bucks on the latest SHIMMER DVDs;

http://shimmerwrestling.blogspot.co.uk/

Perspicacity said:

I guess it's because it seems like there's just less chances for women wrestlers - even looking at the female indie wrestlers WWE have signed, none of them other than Kong and Del Rey had particularly made a big name for themselves on the indies or abroad.

Kaladin

Hero vs Ricochet has been announced for January 10th's Evolve show in Ybor City, FL. Also, Roderick Strong is making his Evolve debut in Jacksonville. I'm really tempted to go to that show....can't grab a ticket till this weekend though.

Ithil

If anyone's a fan of women's wrestling they could do a hell of a lot worse than spending $30 bucks on the latest SHIMMER DVDs;

I guess it's because it seems like there's just less chances for women wrestlers - even looking at the female indie wrestlers WWE have signed, none of them other than Kong and Del Rey had particularly made a big name for themselves on the indies or abroad.

I've no idea why they haven't signed the Canadian Ninjas. They're young, talented but also mid-card (they don't seem to like signing top indie women for some reason). It's not even a case of attractiveness, either, because they signed Bayley who, in all honesty, is not a raving beauty face-wise, and both of the Ninjas are better looking than Bayley. The whole "hire ten models in the hope that one will turn out to be great in two years" seems like such a waste of time, when you could just find a cute looking mid-card or low-card girl from an indie promotion and have her in the ring right away. The best looking woman they have in developmental is an indie girl, anyway.

Well, they WERE doing that, for a while, but since the start of the year they seemed to have stopped hiring indie girls, save for Rebecca Knox.

Xater

I know of Shimmer, it's just that following indie wrestling is kinda more effort than I am willing to put into it. Also from that Youtube clip I think I have seen a couple of them in ROH when I was still watching that. It has been a while though because when I was watching ROH Bryan Danielson and Claudio Castagnoli were still there.

Ithil

What's that? You want joshi gifs? And you don't care about your bandwidth? I will oblige!

iOsnBm7YFkyGO.gif

iWYccWhoC0mVC.gif

iq7rgrsGk8E9A.gif

iIsQRxO9GfJI6.gif

iktQMUkjZhKmi.gif

ibuK3s329ld1kC.gif

iyxeFV8VV9FsW.gif

iGqQYKagQh0Nt.gif

With bonus Upper-North American Espionage Experts

ivuOw0XGKbqmp.gif

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I know of Shimmer, it's just that following indie wrestling is kinda more effort than I am willing to put into it. Also from that Youtube clip I think I have seen a couple of them in ROH when I was still watching that. It has been a while though because when I was watching ROH Bryan Danielson and Claudio Castagnoli were still there.

Well how much effort are you willing to put in though? If all you want is for a website to tell you when a PPV is going up with events that don't really require you to know the full background story to enjoy the wrestling, just visit http://wwnlive.com/index.html from time to time when something catches your eye, order a iPPV.
At least SHINE (women's wrestling) and Dragon Gate.

SHIMMER has all of their important events on DVDs ready to be seen at any time. http://shimmerwrestling.blogspot.com/
They did a very good job with their commentary at saying any relevant "they have a history together" or "they don't like each other", while maintaining good work in the ring to ultimately indicate any actual feud or just "spirit of competition".

It really doesn't take much to start watching or paying attention, it's just that initial hump of having to pay attention to one or two extra websites. Some of us put more effort just coming to this website and talking about wrestling than we do actually seeking anything non-WWE out and paying attention to them. Especially those tumblr people.

And on top of that, why was the best Foley persona left out? =/

Wanted Dead isn't a good seller any more.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Could someone make a "holy shit, these female wrestlers kick ass" thread?

I chickened out on RBH's challenge yesterday to make a WWE2k14 DLC thread.

Hey, watch this. It's real good, I promise;

Ookami Gundan (Hiroyoshi Tenzan & Masahiro Chono) vs Golden Cups (Yoji Anjo & Yoshihiro Takayama) - (UWFi 11/25/95)

Lots of heat between Takayama and Tenzan and the crowd are all over the pro-wrestler's from New Japan.

Vince McMahon said:
Maybe we should wait a week for the Current Popular Wrasslin Threads to settle down.

Yeah, it's a good idea to keep in mind though - lots of people are probably completely unaware that women's wrestling can be at least decent, let alone downright amazing.

Ithil

Given the embarrassment of WWE's "look at those stupid women doing stupid women thing, ha!" deal this week, it would be fitting.

XenoRaven

I find it weird that one can complain about the state of women's wrestling in WWE and watch Total Divas with the knowledge that women with little to no talent for wrestling will get the spotlight on the actual wrestling show because of their appearance on the reality show.

I wouldn't say it's hypocritical, but maybe counterintuitive?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
It's similar to people who would complain about how society values stupid things then continue to watch reality tv claiming it's like a car wreck'

sure buddy. That's not what the ratings are telling them.

UberTag

Husky Harris having any power over Daniel is disgusting. That brah is right, The E is panicking because Bryan is more over than Cena.
D.Brine will return clean-shaven, wearing a suit, he'll run away from matches like a chickenshit coward and be forced to compete against
Titus O'Neil in meat-eating competitions to see which one can puke the most. And he'll be asked to puke on Brie Bella... so Vince can laugh
. That'll show those Internet fans not to cheer for Cena.

The disconnect between NXT and WWE is jarring, and I would be outright embarrassed if I were in charge of the main shows, and the developmental show, meant to prepare rookies for the main roster, was a better show on every level than mine.
It's a good thing Vince doesn't get embarrassed then because the reason why NXT is so good is because he doesn't pay any attention to it.

gurudyne

I don't know, I feel the opposite sometimes. Like if a diva has aspiring Hollywood dreams, people don't seem that bothered. But if a male wrestler doesn't want to spend his whole life wrestling he's dubbed a sellout.

Wrestling--big name, nationally televised wrestling like WWE and WCW--doesn't give back to women a fraction of what it gives to men. For men, wrestling can be a career. For women, long-term wrestling careers are rare, let alone lucrative ones. I'd say people aren't bothered because all of this is obvious in the ring. Women aren't showcased/given a damn about (outside of a few notables like Moolah, Trish, sort of Lita), so it's fair game to return the industry that same favor.

Considering most of the talented girls are on NXT there is a reason the main roster matches are bad.

I'm scared to death of seeing Paige, Emma or Bailey show up on the main show. They'll job to the TD cast first which I'll admit is the natural way for new wrestlers, all of that paying your dues bullshit. (It's just such a goddamned farce that they have to pay them to the Nepotwinsm Crew.) But after that, when dues are paid and they're supposed to get some sort of push, I fully expect more mudwrestling/musical chairs/months as valets booking while JBL and King snort derisively on the sidelines, then everyone gets fired and replaced by models.

Is Woods as super nice as he comes off? He just seems to be really happy and excited about wrestling no matter what and I think that's just wonderful.

Hell yes he is. I was just telling someone the other day about that. He was so hyped up and just excited to be there. He has one of those smiles you have to surgically remove.

Rapstah

So, is there a story behind WWE suddenly not censoring WWF in some circumstances in videos they put up on their Youtube channel and apparently in their video releases?

somedevil

Update on Daniel Bryan from the Triple H sit down interview series:

Daniel Bryan's "health update" is he was found in a parking lot after being kidnapped by the Wyatt Family on Raw. According to Cole, when Bryan was found, he was "disoriented."

Thank god. There goes the idea of a heel turn. Sounds like more like
Bryan vs Bray at TLC.

Rapstah

So since
Smackdown actually takes place on Friday in-story, they'll probably cut the part where Bray says what he said in the spoilers
?

So, is there a story behind WWE suddenly not censoring WWF in some circumstances in videos they put up on their Youtube channel and apparently in their video releases?

They don't have to anymore. They worked that all out. Now it's just a matter of whether the copy they put up is blurred.

Also re Bryan
IT'S A DOLL, DONT USE THE TRIGGER PHRASE

strobogo

Banned
This is a huge reason why I always want the original airings digitized, I hate revisionist history. Things like this bug the FUCK out of me.

http://officialfan.proboards.com/thread/467670

That's terrible. Wrestling is inherently violent. You can't really get away from that. Going back and editing things to give the impression that it isn't inherently violent just screams of Vince being a pussy. I would expect him to take more of a stand and allow what is done to be done. That's gross.

Top Bottom