• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nows the time for nintendo to show their hand.

JimboJones

Nintendo fans waiting for news about the new console

serious self portrait GIF by Motion Addicts
Sad Season 4 GIF by The Simpsons

BlackTron

It depends on:

1. When mass production starts (as that will then open the leak floodgates)
2. When Nintendo wants third parties to be able to announce their Switch 2 projects.

True, but I doubt either of those are as important to Nintendo as selling video games. Christmas passes in under 4 months, it's not a long time to wait risking leaks or making third parties wait in favor of their true deity of selling shit. I mean I admit anything can happen of course especially with new CEO, but it would hit me like a brick wall. I'm not seeing it as a close call or hard prediction.

yurinka

Is it now time for nintendo to show the new console we have all been waiting for? Like before Christmas?I think it would be a great move.
Didn't Nintendo say that they won't release it this fiscal year? If this is the case it wouldn't make sense at all to announce it this year, they'd announce it minimum in February or March.

What do fellow gaffers think? Will it affect the preorders of both the new xbox and ps5 Pro?
Nintendo should let Sony marinate in that $700+ price point for a bit. If they come out at $400 then they’ll dominate once again.

PS4 Pro were 15% of the total PS4 sales, so in case of PS5 should be similar.

This gen PS is breaking records of revenue, profit, active userbase, ARPU, games sold, hardware revenue, games revenue, game sub revenue, accesories revenue, movie/tv adaptations revenue, first party games outside PS revenue. Plus they broke their record of launch sales of first party games with titles released in 2020, 2022, 2023 and 2024. In most of these KPIs outperforming Nintendo btw.

Meaning, the Switch success didn't affect PS at all, so pretty likely Switch 2 won't affect it at all either. Even less when this generation Nintendo won't have a monopoly in the portables market since there's the nascent market of PC handhelds, which in the mid term (maybe around 2-4 years from now) may recive devices from MS and Sony.

Last edited:

Woopah

True, but I doubt either of those are as important to Nintendo as selling video games. Christmas passes in under 4 months, it's not a long time to wait risking leaks or making third parties wait in favor of their true deity of selling shit. I mean I admit anything can happen of course especially with new CEO, but it would hit me like a brick wall. I'm not seeing it as a close call or hard prediction.
I just think there's a minimum amount of time you can wait before announcing a new generation console.

If it's coming out in September next year, then yeah they can wait for January. But if it's coming out March or April, January is too late.

3DS for example was fully revealed in June 2010, but didn't come out until Feb/March 2021. And the DS sakes in holiday 2010 were still pretty good.

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the custom sound card in my license-free, open source Linux machine running DRM free GOG games I don't have to pay for to just play them online or have some subscription, with all the 120+ fps action going on without compromises on the graphics and even better no tracking, no ad/malware and constant spying to sell my usage data without my consent to some unknown third party. Did I mention these games were so dirt cheap the money saved can go towards building two more gaming PCs.

leo-j

Idk why people are acting like the ps5 pro is the ps6 being launched at $699.

Sony are still going to mostly sell the $499 ps5, which is 2 generations ahead of the switch in tech, and it will likely be a generation ahead of the switch 2 in specs.

If you think the switch 2 is going to be any less than $399 considering the cheapest steam deck is $349 good luck.

Hunter 99

Sony are still going to mostly sell the $499 ps5, which is 2 generations ahead of the switch in tech, and it will likely be a generation ahead of the switch 2 in specs.

If you think the switch 2 is going to be any less than $399 considering the cheapest steam deck is $349 good luck.
Question is, knowing there is steam deck and handheld pc portables on the market are nintendo going to suprise us with something completely different?maybe a slight shift away from handheld gaming?

I know its meant to be backwards compatible but nintendo being nintendo could have something we haven't seen before.(one can dream🤔)

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Switch is an old machine without fact checking its 10+ years old but nintendos reputation is strong there’s nothing gamers can do but speculate.

Compared to PS5 they're in the same generation in fact, Ampere and RDNA2. The Pro is another history, but the price tells you everything about it.

REDRZA MWS

My first ever thread here on gaf so sorry if this has been made or discussed elsewhere.

So now xbox,playstation have shown their hands with the 3 new xbox consoles,the ps5 pro reveal. Not fussed for them at all.

Is it now time for nintendo to show the new console we have all been waiting for? Like before Christmas?I think it would be a great move.

I'm personally more excited for that reveal than the stuff that's been shown so far from xbox and ps.

What do fellow gaffers think? Will it affect the preorders of both the new xbox and ps5 Pro?
What hand? You’re getting a 2 gen beind portable.

Didn't Nintendo say that they won't release it this fiscal year? If this is the case it wouldn't make sense at all to announce it this year, they'd announce it minimum in February or March.

PS4 Pro were 15% of the total PS4 sales, so in case of PS5 should be similar.

This gen PS is breaking records of revenue, profit, active userbase, ARPU, games sold, hardware revenue, games revenue, game sub revenue, accesories revenue, movie/tv adaptations revenue, first party games outside PS revenue. Plus they broke their record of launch sales of first party games with titles released in 2020, 2022, 2023 and 2024. In most of these KPIs outperforming Nintendo btw.

Meaning, the Switch success didn't affect PS at all, so pretty likely Switch 2 won't affect it at all either. Even less when this generation Nintendo won't have a monopoly in the portables market since there's the nascent market of PC handhelds, which in the mid term (maybe around 2-4 years from now) may recive devices from MS and Sony.

So no, won't affect at all.
Took a few pages to find the post I agree with.

Nintendo gains absolutely nothing from revealing Super Switch before February.

BlackTron

I just think there's a minimum amount of time you can wait before announcing a new generation console.

If it's coming out in September next year, then yeah they can wait for January. But if it's coming out March or April, January is too late.

3DS for example was fully revealed in June 2010, but didn't come out until Feb/March 2021. And the DS sakes in holiday 2010 were still pretty good.

I actually completely agree with this and it's the main conflict I've thought of.

On the one hand, Nintendo wants another unmitigated holiday period for Switch 1.

On the other hand, they MAY want to repeat the "double launch" of Switch 1. With the "pre launch" early in the year and second punch holiday season, as it proved rather effective for rolling momentum into that first holiday.

But they can't really do both of these things without a Nintendo Miracle I've yet to think of, because it's too compressed a span of time to announce and launch it.

I have a guess that they might even wait until the second half of next year for Switch 2 and forgo the double launch to resolve this conflict. The reason being -with Switch 1 the main benefits of early launch were to move on ASAP and accrue a bigger install base for holiday season titles. Nintendo may try to plug that hole by making many (but not all) titles cross-gen in the beginning phases. They have the massive install base of Switch to sell games on, but before that they had almost nothing viable; the added momentum is not really as desperately necessary this time. Back then their goal was to get away from the prior platform ASAP. This time the stated goal is "smooth transition". So how will that make the tactics different? I pause from defaulting to "they will repeat same as last time". Yeah, I could be totally wrong and we have Switch 2 in March, the only reason I have half a hope is rumors production started already. I just always lean towards Nintendo doing their favorite activity (milking).

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
Be ready to be disappointed. It will be awesome and great games will be made for it, but it's Nintendo, so it has to underwhelm.

kevboard

here's a hint, no it wont.

we literally know the chip... the Tegra T239. and that chip easily beats the Deck, easily beats the Ally... it will only be outclassed by the next generation of PC handhelds that will eventually release and use the new AMD Strix Point APUs and which will probably cost close to 1000 bucks

Last edited:

tmlDan

we literally know the chip... the Tegra T239. and that chip easily beats the Deck, easily beats the Ally... it will only be outclassed by the next generation of PC handhelds that will eventually release and use the new AMD Strix Point APUs and which will probably cost close to 1000 bucks
no, we don't they're all assumptions, also, leaks have stated that they've been sitting on it for 2 years.

You think its gonna be high end? please just stop and think

Last edited:
All of that, and the Switch 2 will only cost $399

Oh sure sure.gif

kevboard

no, we don't they're all assumptions, also, leaks have stated that they've been sitting on it for 2 years.

You think its gonna be high end? please just stop and think
All of that, and the Switch 2 will only cost $399

Oh sure sure.gif

we know this is the chip. this is not an assumption. and we know exactly the specs of the chip.
but sure... you will be proven wrong pretty soon if we're lucky

I think the successes and failures of Sony and Microsoft are basically irrelevant to Nintendo. The Switch has been their fastest selling console ever during a period of relative strength for Playstation. Previously, the Wii was their fastest selling console ever during a period of relative weakness for Playstation. Nintendo is playing a different game, has been for three straight generations, and I see little reason why they would stop now.

Nintendo doesn't need to do anything. They've always done their own thing at their own pace. Their strength is their first party titles. All they need to do is flash some mario, zelda, or pokemon and the crowd will go nuts.

ItsGreat

The Sony announcement seemed half arsed and rushed.

I think Nintendo bluffed Sony into showing their hand. Sony know something special is going to be shown behind closed doors at the TGS.

Impotaku

Why do people think nintendo is competing AT ALL with PS lol

their hand will be an extremely outdated handheld
You are correct they aren’t competing as they already destroyed Sony in japan without even trying using a tablet with a fraction of the power. Sony trying hard to remain relevant to the small amount of ps diehards over there.

The only metric that matters is games on shelves to buy, the reason a lot of the typical western devs didn’t pick switch was because it wasn’t able to run their more demanding titles and with a more powerful switch that changes as Nintendo can steal even more players away from Sony. Look at the times the same game was relased on switch and ps5 the ps5 version sold less every single time and slid right out the charts while on switch they hang around for way longer.

It’s why indies and 3rd parties flock to switch with its monster user base. Sony has nothing to compete, they really need to start pumping out those titles like their life depends on it. Astrobot is a refreshing start.

Last edited:

Woopah

Why do people think nintendo is competing AT ALL with PS lol

their hand will be an extremely outdated handheld
Because they are both offering dedicated gaming platforms. Nintendo wants people to buy and play games on Switch instead of PlayStation, while Sony wants the opposite. And they both take actions to achieve this goal.
You are correct they aren’t competing as they already destroyed Sony in japan without even trying using a tablet with a fraction of the power. Sony trying hard to remain relevant to the small amount of ps diehards over there.

The only metric that matters is games on shelves to buy, the reason a lot of the typical western devs didn’t pick switch was because it wasn’t able to run their more demanding titles and with a more powerful switch that changes as Nintendo can steal even more players away from Sony. Look at the times the same game was relased on switch and ps5 the ps5 version sold less every single time and slid right out the charts while on switch they hang around for way longer.

It’s why indies and 3rd parties flock to switch with its monster user base. Sony has nothing to compete, they really need to start pumping out those titles like their life depends on it. Astrobot is a refreshing start.
That's true for East Asia, but not elsewhere. There will continue to be many third party games that sell better on PS5 than Switch 2 in places like Europe and the US.

REDRZA MWS

Apparently something called a "Royal straight flush" 🤷
Opinions are like assholes, everyone had one. You want to pay 300-500 dollars for an outdated portable be my guess. Or you could give me 100 dollars and I’ll kick you in the balls. Cheaper, and the pain won’t last nearly as long as 7 years of waiting for it to happen all over again.

Woopah

I actually completely agree with this and it's the main conflict I've thought of.

On the one hand, Nintendo wants another unmitigated holiday period for Switch 1.

On the other hand, they MAY want to repeat the "double launch" of Switch 1. With the "pre launch" early in the year and second punch holiday season, as it proved rather effective for rolling momentum into that first holiday.

But they can't really do both of these things without a Nintendo Miracle I've yet to think of, because it's too compressed a span of time to announce and launch it.

I have a guess that they might even wait until the second half of next year for Switch 2 and forgo the double launch to resolve this conflict. The reason being -with Switch 1 the main benefits of early launch were to move on ASAP and accrue a bigger install base for holiday season titles. Nintendo may try to plug that hole by making many (but not all) titles cross-gen in the beginning phases. They have the massive install base of Switch to sell games on, but before that they had almost nothing viable; the added momentum is not really as desperately necessary this time. Back then their goal was to get away from the prior platform ASAP. This time the stated goal is "smooth transition". So how will that make the tactics different? I pause from defaulting to "they will repeat same as last time". Yeah, I could be totally wrong and we have Switch 2 in March, the only reason I have half a hope is rumors production started already. I just always lean towards Nintendo doing their favorite activity (milking).
If Nintendo's top priority was milking the Switch, I'd agree. But I think their top priority is profit.

Right now their hardware, software and profit are all in decline, and that won't change until they launch the new generation.

If they delay the Switch 2 by several months, that has a significant negative effect on their financial performance next year.

So then the question becomes, what will have a greater negative financial effect:

1. Missing out on several months of Switch 2 hardware and software sales by delaying it
2. Lower Switch sales in holiday 2024, because the successor is announced.

I think 1 is more damaging. They can announce Switch 2 and a couple of games in a 2-3 minute video in September or October, then save details on pricing and full launch lineup until January.

I reckon that would be the best approach .

BlackTron

If Nintendo's top priority was milking the Switch, I'd agree. But I think their top priority is profit.

Right now their hardware, software and profit are all in decline, and that won't change until they launch the new generation.

If they delay the Switch 2 by several months, that has a significant negative effect on their financial performance next year.

So then the question becomes, what will have a greater negative financial effect:

1. Missing out on several months of Switch 2 hardware and software sales by delaying it
2. Lower Switch sales in holiday 2024, because the successor is announced.

I think 1 is more damaging. They can announce Switch 2 and a couple of games in a 2-3 minute video in September or October, then save details on pricing and full launch lineup until January.

I reckon that would be the best approach .

Your point is valid that Nintendo prioritizes money, but when I said milking, I meant it in a way that is one and the same. That is, we agree N will prioritize money, where we differ is how they might go about it.

40% less Switch games and systems sold vs the same period last year. That sounds terrible, until you figure how ludicrously successful Switch was to begin with: it means they are still coasting selling tons of old hardware and copies of Zelda and Mario Kart 8, and will keep doing it so long as they don't screw anything up. Switch 1 does not have to be discontinued the week after it sales rating is dropped from Insane to Good. While I believe they will be confident, there's no guarantee Switch 2 will lead to more sales; in their POV, it could have a tepid reaction, while ruining the Switch 1 business. Switch 1 is safe cashflow and Switch 2 is the scary but necessary future. Right now they are in the perfect position to sit back and rake in cash until they are ready to pull the trigger.

Top Bottom