• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD July Hardware numbers and some interesting facts

Lukas

Banned
PS2 290K
XBOX 245K
CUBE 93K
GBA 400k

Top 15 Total Software Sales
PS2=1,920,971
Xbox=1,233,994
Gamecube=676,300

XBX
1 ESPN NFL 2K5 $7,495,292 385,660
2 NCAA FOOTBALL 2005 $13,072,050 264,455

PS2
1 NCAA FOOTBALL 2005 $25,135,700 508,807
2 ESPN NFL 2K5 $7,810,233 406,083

WOHOO go Sega. You are finally gonna have a million seller this generation since going 3rd party.

Even if it doesnt come close to selling like Madden 2005 its still gonna be atleast 2 million people that know ESPN > Madden

Lukas

Banned
Oh yea and I feel sorry for Nintendo. 99 dollars and they are actually selling LESS than they were last year. Good numbers for Tales though.

Lukas

Banned
Anyone have the LTD for Ninja Gaiden and Rallisport 2? Sucks to see 2 amazing games not on the charts anymore.

I know Ninja Gaiden is over 600,000 which is good but I am wondering if Rallisport 2 is doing better than 1.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Damn, the ugly predictions were true. Well, as I said earlier, people weren't buying cubes to play ToS, but the customer's who already owned one. Yikes.

Lukas

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Those Cube numbers are going to keep sinking too, they've got nothing to really boost the system this year.

Paper Mario 2 should break 150k for them during its release.

Plus the Metroid Bundle just came out so I expect 150k in August.

Deg said:
Yeah every year is the nail for them.

Hey, I don't give a shit what others have said in previous times. I have never said anything of the sort regarding GC...until now. RE4 was the big title this year for GC. MP2 and Pikmin 2 and the others are simply not enough for newcomers to the system, IMO. These titles are good for those that already bought the system for the first installments. RE4 is needed badly.

Lukas said:
Paper Mario 2 should break 150k for them during its release.

Plus the Metroid Bundle just came out so I expect 150k in August.

PM2 is just going to sell to their existing userbase, it's nothing like RE4 that can bring in a completely new gamers to the system.

ge-man

There isn't a whole lot that can be done now to boost the system. If ti isn't doing anything at 99 dollars, another price cut or a big game like RE4 isn't likely to change that. Nintendo is definately better off just catering to their current userbase and making sure THEY don't leave.

Lukas

Banned
Wasnt Paper Mario 1 on the N64 a huge seller though?

No game is really gonna bring in new fans for any system. System sellers are rare, its the library that sells the system, not 1 game.

Lukas said:

No game is really gonna bring in new fans for any system. System sellers are rare, its the library that sells the system, not 1 game.

PM sold around 500k I think. Which is pretty good for a non FF RPG. But it's not a game that'll bring in new users. That was RE4 since it has a completely different appeal than most of the games on the GC.

Lukas

Banned
added GBA.

these numbers are from a realiable source, and they posted the exact same top 15 npd, so I dont know why they would lie about the hardware #s

maharg

idspispopd
SolidSnakex said:
PM sold around 500k I think. Which is pretty good for a non FF RPG. But it's not a game that'll bring in new users. That was RE4 since it has a completely different appeal than most of the games on the GC.

Except for, you know, the other four Resident Evil games that didn't do so hot.

MightyHedgehog said:
Uh-oh. These might not be interesting facts, then.

Wouldn't surprise me, it did seem strange that full numbers were posted for the games and we only get 290k type stuff for the hardware.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Lukas said:

Tell that to the people who bought a PSX for FF7 (me), Dreamcast for Soul Calibur, N64 for Mario 64, etc...

Oh, and nice name :)

SolidSnakex said:
Wouldn't surprise me, it did seem strange that full numbers were posted for the games and we only get 290k type stuff for the hardware.

We've only been given percentage numbers for the hardware for a long time now, so numbers like 290k aren't unusual. I believe them, but they aren't what I was expecting.

Lukas

Banned
I didnt say theres no such thing as system sellers, I said they are rare.

For this gen I would say for

ps2 - gta

xbox - halo

gamecube -........cant think of anything other than just Nintendo Franchises

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
*ahem*

Nintendo, its time for an intervention. Drop the price of the system down to $79 and include Metroid Prime until the end of the year. You can't compete when you are within $50 of the competition. You should have learned that when the Gamecube was $150 vs $200 for a PS2/Xbox but alas, you did not.

Lukas

Banned
sonycowboy thats for august, not july.......

anyway dont worry, no one is gonna catch up to sonys 80 million

sgrimace.jpg

Doogdogg

JC10001 said:
*ahem*

Nintendo, its time for an intervention. Drop the price of the system down to $79 and include Metroid Prime until the end of the year. You can't compete when you are within $50 of the competition. You should have learned that when the Gamecube was $150 vs $200 for a PS2/Xbox but alas, you did not.

Ummmmmm no. You can't compete when you got no (well only a few handful) games.

JC10001 said:
*ahem*

Nintendo, its time for an intervention. Drop the price of the system down to $79 and include Metroid Prime until the end of the year.

Drop the price and include a game that'll actually interest alot of people like Mario or Zelda. Metroid isn't going to cut it.

Lukas

Banned
No way Nintendo is gonna drop the price of the GC lower than 99 dollars. They are already losing money by selling it at 99.

I predict a 2 game bundle for the holiday, but I dont seen them droping it even to 70 dollars, they shouldnt be taking a loss on hardware in their 4th generation

Lukas said:
lol i just noticed it says xbox shortage also....
I guess xbox fanboys can put spin on Xbox selling not as much as it should too

Quit being a tool. Twice in a row.

The Gamestop release is talking about June & July, not August. Also, they specifically mentioned the PS2 , "and to a lesser extent, Xbox". So, according to them, the PS2 shortage is more pronounced.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Dark Dragon said:
Ummmmmm no. You can't compete when you got no (well only a few handful) games.

What are you kidding me? The cube has a lot of great games. I don't know of anyone would wouldn't buy one for $79 with a free game (besides fanboys). That's a freaking steal, IMO and during the holidays moms and dads would be buying them left and right.

Lukas

Banned
sonycowboy said:
Quit being a tool. Twice in a row.

The Gamestop release is talking about June & July, not August. Also, they specifically mentioned the PS2 , "and to a lesser extent, Xbox". So, according to them, the PS2 shortage is more pronounced.

stop being such a fanboy

Laurent

Wait, wait, wait... I know EXACTLY what to do to make GameCube sales rise once and for all! Make lots of...

1. Diversified
2. Advertized
3. Excelent

...games!

Top Bottom