• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD July Hardware numbers and some interesting facts

JayFro

Banned
Lukas said:
those will nowhere near have the effect of Fable or Halo 2. Those are the 2 most hyped games on Xbox, possibly across all consoles and PC even, period.

In this case it's about hitting them hard with a bunch of great games. Will they have the effect of Halo 2 and Fable? No, but they will contribute when people consider what other great games Xbox will have to offer in the future.

JayFro

Banned
siamesedreamer said:
Can we get some LTDs on some games?

SC:pT
Ninja Gaiden
RSC2

Does this NPD take Xbox to a 2 million lead on GC?

I don't think it takes Xbox to a 2 million lead over the cube in the states, maybe around 1.7 million or so.

Deg

Banned
JayFro said:
Keep talking chachi, I've got two games for ya.........Halo 2 and Fable. Nobody around here ever thought Xbox would outsell PS2 for even one month and it happened. Nobody thinks Xbox will ever start to outsell PS2 on a regular basis. The PS2 is starting to look outdated and people that play online are starting to notice the difference on Xbox Live. Word of mouth about Xbox being the superior console is spreading and Xbox is closing the gap on PS2.

Remember when PS2 would double Xbox sales? Not anymore.

Wanna bet the gap gets bigger even after Halo 2 releases?

Lukas

Banned
siamesedreamer said:
Can we get some LTDs on some games?

SC:pT
Ninja Gaiden
RSC2

Does this NPD take Xbox to a 2 million lead on GC?

I cant give you exact numbers but SCPT is around 450,000 and Ninja Gaiden is a bit over 600,000.

As for RSC2 I predict no more than 60,000 which is quite sad for such an amazing game.

jarrod

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
In terms of replacing RARE's appeal to different groups with games like GE and PD, none of those companies you listed first have done anything to top them.
Well, all those companies combined (along with NdCube, Game Freak and all the other new 1st party studios this gen) aren't as large as Rare was so why compare directly? As a whole though, they've done some good stuff and I'd say combined have just as appealing and varied a portfolio as Rare did.

Silicon Kights on the other hand, they were a mistake from the start. I'd have rather seen Nintendo hold on to Leftfield, then we'd at least have a GameCube Excitebike.

SolidSnakex said:
All those 3rd parties are nice, but Nintendo just has them working Nintendo franchises, which isn't going to cause any new appeal.
Similarly all Rare's biggest games each generation were based off Nintendo licenses (Donkey Kong, Goldeneye, StarFox). Banjo and Perfect Dark did a decent enough job of following in Mario 64 & Goldeneye's shadows but Rare wasn't pumping out great new ideas even in their prime with Nintendo. Rare benefitted more from Nintendo than the reverse imo.

SolidSnakex said:
n-Space is doing Geist ofcourse, although at this point it's basically getting completely ignored compared to stuff like KZ and HALO.
Well really eveything (KillZone included) is getting ingored in favor of Halo 2 (and Half-Life II/Doom 3 to a lesser extent). KZ is getting the majority of it's attention as a PS2 exclusive, similar to Geist getting attention mainly from it's captive audience... only KZ's captive audience is about four times as large. ;)

Deg

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
In terms of replacing RARE's appeal to different groups with games like GE and PD, none of those companies you listed first have done anything to top them. All those 3rd parties are nice, but Nintendo just has them working Nintendo franchises, which isn't going to cause any new appeal. n-Space is doing Geist ofcourse, although at this point it's basically getting completely ignored compared to stuff like KZ and HALO.

Dont even think about putting PD in the same league as GE.

Rare simply dont have naything worthwhile to offer Nintendo anymore. Its best for Nintendo to go outside of Rare for fps. PD was a huge failiure GE considered.

wazoo

madara said:
Alot seems to be timing too. Even if Nintendo does everything right if its past two year mark it has little effect, which is a shame. Just imagine how different GC could have been had this new zelda, re4, etc been released 6 months after system release and not at the end of a dying one. They seem stuck in this cycle, hopefully mario will be right there but clearly zelda revolution will be 2 years out at least.

good games takes time to do.

JayFro

Banned
Deg said:
Wanna bet the gap gets bigger even after Halo 2 releases?

I wouldn't bet that, but I would bet that after more big releases like Fable, Halo 2, KOTOR 2, and Splinter Cell 3 that by next spring Xbox will be neck and neck with PS2 on a monthly basis. These things take time ya see...........word of mouth. Look at how long it's taken for Xbox to get this close to PS2 on a monthly basis, these things just don't happen overnight. I do think however that the initial price drop did get people to take more of a look at Xbox though.

wazoo

jarrod said:
Silicon Kights on the other hand, they were a mistake from the start. I'd have rather seen Nintendo hold on to Leftfield, then we'd at least have a GameCube Excitebike.

What was the mistake ?? Is ED a mistake because it did not sell ?? How a game scoring 9.5 at IGN is a mistake ??

jarrod

Banned
wazoo said:
What was the mistake ?? Is ED a mistake because it did not sell ?? How a game scoring 9.5 at IGN is a mistake ??
The company as a whole, their games failed to perform at retail and personally, I found the content lacking as well. Whatever money spent on them seems to have been a total waste.

SolidSnakex said:
In terms of replacing RARE's appeal to different groups with games like GE and PD, none of those companies you listed first have done anything to top them. All those 3rd parties are nice, but Nintendo just has them working Nintendo franchises, which isn't going to cause any new appeal. n-Space is doing Geist ofcourse, although at this point it's basically getting completely ignored compared to stuff like KZ and HALO.

right. But KZ and Halo are essentially highly polished FPSes and that's my biggest problem with these titles (not that it IS an issue) - but americans do love FPSes. Doom 3, Halo2. Half Life 2, KZ... there's just too many FPSes. To me, they're the same. I only got through Halo cause the story was pretty cool. Personally, I'll be happier to play titles by the companies Jarrod listed. They do then get ignored by the market and that well, is cause its a fucked up market that doesn't treasure anything different / innovative / odd/ quirky / not sports / not violent / not cool.

There is no accounting for tastes in the mainstream.

and GEIST is NOT getting anyone's attention. Not even the fanboys. its like a WTF title at best

Deg

Banned
JayFro said:
I wouldn't bet that, but I would bet that after more big releases like Fable, Halo 2, KOTOR 2, and Splinter Cell 3 that by next spring Xbox will be neck and neck with PS2 on a monthly basis. These things take time ya see...........word of mouth. Look at how long it's taken for Xbox to get this close to PS2 on a monthly basis, these things just don't happen overnight. I do think however that the initial price drop did get people to take more of a look at Xbox though.

Not enough. Infact the hype for many of these games exceeds the quality of these games so i'd bet their sequels sell less than before. SCPT is way behind the first SC. I'll reiterate it never was a system seller.

wazoo said:

ED was peice of shit. It deserved a 4.5 rating.

wazoo

jarrod said:
The company as a whole, their games failed to perform at retail and personally, I found the content lacking as well.

Your personal opinion. I like it, and many people like it.

Whatever money spent on them seems to have been a total waste.

20M$ was the price for SK. Very low price for a mature bet from Nintendo. You can not blame the game for people not buying it. For me, ED is very similar to ICO. good praise but very low sales. At least, Sony does not need its games to sell, so there is no backslash.

jarrod said:
Well, all those companies combined (along with NdCube, Game Freak and all the other new 1st party studios this gen) aren't as large as Rare was so why compare directly? As a whole though, they've done some good stuff and I'd say combined have just as appealing and varied a portfolio as Rare did.

Well those are 3 different companies so Nintendo could have them working on more adult oritened games, they just don't. They're just sticking to what they've been doing while ignoring that their family friendly market share continues to shrink. The main reason for this is because Sony and MS are actually eating into it by creating software to appeal to that market. Nintendo though doesn't seem to notice (or care) and isn't trying to eat into their market share of the adult market.

"I wouldn't bet that, but I would bet that after more big releases like Fable, Halo 2, KOTOR 2, and Splinter Cell 3 that by next spring Xbox will be neck and neck with PS2 on a monthly basis.

You keep mentioning SC3, but are you just ignoring how much SC:pT is underperforming compared to the original? Are you also ignroing that Sony's basically already loading up next year too (especially if they delay GT4 till then). They've already got FFXII and Kingdom Hearts 2 both of which are going to be big as always. There's nothing MS really has next year on (or near) that level.

jarrod said:
The company as a whole, their games failed to perform at retail and personally, I found the content lacking as well. Whatever money spent on them seems to have been a total waste.

plus their logo is fugly. Thank god I sold ED. MY EYES!!!! And wait.. their game is ugly.

MGSTTS was not better than MGS2 (visually / technically)

SK is rubbish.

and

IAWTP

JayFro

Banned
Deg said:
Not enough. Infact the hype for many of these games exceeds the quality of these games so i'd bet their sequels sell less than before. SCPT is way behind the first SC. I'll reiterate it never was a system seller.

And IMO it's the sum being greater than any individual game. Don't forget EA on Xbox Live, that alone has helped to double the sales of NCAA 2005 on Xbox compared to last year. Yet to be released but sure to sell well with Xbox Live are Tiger Woods, Need for Speed Underground 2, and NBA Live 2005. So many factors trigger the shift in momentum, it's not just the 4 games that I mentioned.

Deg

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Well those are 3 different companies so Nintendo could have them working on more adult oritened games, they just don't.

I dont think they will be the ones you'll look at for older content ;)

Retro studios are certainly one and they are working on MP2. Nintendo are focused on promoting the franchise. Hence why MP being a freebie is important.

JayFro said:
And IMO it's the sum being greater than any individual game. Don't forget EA on Xbox Live, that alone has helped to double the sales of NCAA 2005 on Xbox compared to last year. Yet to be released but sure to sell well with Xbox Live are Tiger Woods, Need for Speed Underground 2, and NBA Live 2005. So many factors trigger the shift in momentum, it's not just the 4 games that I mentioned.

We'll see.

3rdman

I'm sorry, but if ED is supposed to show proof of Nintendo's attempt at being "mature" thats a pretty pathetic affair considering they've done nothing since then in that genre. In fact, they turned around and started preaching that "simplicity is fun" crap (PacMan any one?).

Also, let me the first to say that Halo 2 will outsell all games this holiday. :)

SantaC

The Metal Gear fans are install base are on PS2. Plus, with Metal Gear Solid 3 coming soon, very few paid attention

Funny how the Metal Gear install base started out on the Nintendo NES console. (and MSX)

wazoo said:
You forgot to add "Denis is fat and canadian". Ed was doomed from the start.

90% for a fugly game :
http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/913957.asp

what does ratings have to do with my comments for visuals? ED is a ugly pixellated textured like crap mess. That big anus god/demon had me rolling around in laugther at the lack of skills / polish - I use Maya/max and I can texture better than their art team. Its NOT that hard to do it decently. Denis is fat but I love chubs. he give me boner. You happy?

If you saw ED on a demo kiosk vs GT3 or FFX on a kiosk. What the hell would you think of the cube. Its a horrible horrible game to release and way overrated.

3rdman said:
I'm sorry, but if ED is supposed to show proof of Nintendo's attempt at being "mature" thats a pretty pathetic affair considering they've done nothing since then in that genre. In fact, they turned around and started preaching that "simplicity is fun" crap (PacMan any one?).

Also, let me the first to say that Halo 2 will outsell all games this holiday. :)

and my pimping brothers say NO.

gta_san_andreas.jpg

jarrod

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Well those are 3 different companies so Nintendo could have them working on more adult oritened games, they just don't.
Nope, Nintendo lets them work on what they want to mainly... except Retro, which was taken over to refocus on [a more adult oritened] Metroid.

SolidSnakex said:
They're just sticking to what they've been doing while ignoring that their family friendly market share continues to shrink. The main reason for this is because Sony and MS are actually eating into it by creating software to appeal to that market. Nintendo though doesn't seem to notice (or care) and isn't trying to eat into their market share of the adult market.
Well, that's why they secured Resident Evil, picked up Geist, made sure EA/Namco/Activision/etc were on board and the new visual shift in Zelda. They tried before with Silicon Knights too... like ge-man said, Nintendo can't just snap their fingers have killer exclusive adult content. It's not like GameCube is barren of adult content though, in fact Nintendo now has the least resrictive censorship policies of the three hardware providers.

Though honestly, I'd say Nintendo's doing a better job so far of attracting adult gamers than Microsoft has courting the family market. Sony seems to be the only one striking a good balance though.

Musashi Wins! said:
Admittedly, part of Nintendo's "art of selling first party games" is tied into rotten 3rd party support. It's obvious that their numbers are always going to be slightly inflated when they don't get a lot of big 3rd party sellers. But that's rarely recognized when people are in awe of their first party game numbers.
This loops back on itself too - one could easily argue that 3rd party games don't do as well on the Gamecube because people are more likely to buy Nintendo's own efforts, not the other way around.

SantaC

What's confusing is why Nintendo just don't do Starfox themselves. SFA from Rare was not as good as the other 2 titles, and the new SF by Namco doesn't seem to go that smooth either.

Just do it yourself Nin!

JayFro

Banned
Kobun Heat said:
This loops back on itself too - one could easily argue that 3rd party games don't do as well on the Gamecube because people are more likely to buy Nintendo's own efforts, not the other way around.

PS2=1,920,971
Xbox=1,233,994
Gamecube=676,300

First or third party Gamecube didn't move much software in July.

jarrod

Banned
JayFro said:
PS2=1,920,971
Xbox=1,233,994
Gamecube=676,300

First or third party Gamecube didn't move much software in July.
Nobody moves much software in July but Nintendo moved more 1st party software none the less....

GBA: 379,660
GC: 126,533
XBox: 159,997 (1 new release)
PS2: 37,833

wazoo

TheGreenGiant said:
what does ratings have to do with my comments for visuals? ED is a ugly pixellated textured like crap mess. That big anus god/demon had me rolling around in laugther at the lack of skills / polish - I use Maya/max and I can texture better than their art team. Its NOT that hard to do it decently. Denis is fat but I love chubs. he give me boner. You happy?

I did not get it . I thought you were talking about the overall package. Anyway, you are wrong. ED visuals were very clean and textures gorgeous, at least on my RGB TV.

If you saw ED on a demo kiosk vs GT3 or FFX on a kiosk. What the hell would you think of the cube. Its a horrible horrible game to release and way overrated.

No.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Funny how the Metal Gear install base started out on the Nintendo NES console. (and MSX)
Yeah, but I think those early fans are probably all dead by now, or retired, as evidenced by poor sales of MGS:TS :p

I think Nintendo will do well despite what some of you think, to many of you are negative. The fact that Nintendo has started advertising in theaters this early insures their chances of a successful Christmas season. RE4 will be marketed through November up till launch, demos, magazine ads, commercials will be in full effect.

If you go by demographics Nintendo most successful time of the year is the Christmas season. Kids don't have the funds to purchase consoles all through the year. Adults do, thats why Sony, and MS do so well from march and up. Now if you consider RE4 to be a system seller than you can assume that a good number of the Cubes sold during December will partially be in part to anticipation of its impending release. IF this holds true then numbers for MP2:E should surpass some of are expectations.

Its very possible Paper Mario 2 may be a hit, you have to consider demographics and the current installed base. The majority gamers that own MK:DD are of the younger age, so PM2 could possibly sell systems aswell. Don't forget that the demographic you are apart of isn't the only one that exsist.

Halo2, with out a doubt going to sell systems. I see it selling another million consoles in America. Europe, I'm not even going to try to guess. Now, as for Fable I think its going to just past up Kotor, but its not going to be a million seller, worldwide maybe but not in the U.S.

GTA:S, this is the hardest to put a finger on because of the changes, the main character being black may turn some off. GT4 may be the big hit, and KZ may be a sleeping giant, possibly turn out to be the next big PS franchise.

wazoo

in Europe, MGS TS was hardly sold. It was quite difficult to find. Very surprising for a game that was supported at E3'03 by Miyamoto and Kojima.

jarrod

Banned
OG_Original Gamer said:
If you go by demographics Nintendo most successful time of the year is the Christmas season.
Yep... on the old board there were some compiled figures showing Nintendo moves nearly 70% of their product in the 4th quarter.

Link316

Banned
SantaCruZer said:
What's confusing is why Nintendo just don't do Starfox themselves. SFA from Rare was not as good as the other 2 titles, and the new SF by Namco doesn't seem to go that smooth either.

Just do it yourself Nin!

Star Fox doesn't do so well in Japan so they don't really care about it, if one of their franchise's not as popular Nintendo's just gonna farm it off to other developers instead of doing it themselves

SantaC

Link316 said:
Star Fox doesn't do so well in Japan so they don't really care about it, if one of their franchise's not as popular Nintendo's just gonna farm it off to other developers instead of doing it themselves

so it's like the metroid situation?

ge-man

I think the Star Fox situation is similar to F-Zero/Triforce deal. Namco either had a choice or Nintendo thought that their talent was suited best for Star Fox.

sohka88

Why do people keep lumping the XBOX with the PS2 like it was neck to neck, when they are barely tied with the GC while losing billions of dollars.

jarrod

Banned
SantaCruZer said:
so it's like the metroid situation?
Not quite that bad...

Star Fox Adventures (259,069)
Star Fox 64 (373,479)

Metroid Prime (78,021)
Metroid Fusion (155,528)
Metroid Zero Mission (68,582)

GhaleonEB

jarrod said:
Yep... on the old board there were some compiled figures showing Nintendo moves nearly 70% of their product in the 4th quarter.

That's because all the parents buy their games and give them to teh children - and Nintendo only releases a few good games a year anyways, and they're all the end of the year (when they advertise), so those poor starved GC owners wait and then buy them all at the end of they year.

There, all the Nintendo hate in one sentence.

Top Bottom