• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2009

ElyrionX

I don't know why people are shocked by the SF4 multiplatform numbers. The sheer shittiness of the 360's dpad and the fact that the PS3 version is the one that will be used at tournaments like Evo would almost certainly mean that a large portion of the hardcore would go for the PS3 version.

There's also the fact that the people who buy SF4 are almost certainly the ones who grew up with the franchise during the days when the SNES/PS1/PS2 were dominant. As a proportion of the respective system's userbase, these people would probably form a larger proportion on the PS3 than on the 360.

Accident said:
Killzone 2 seems a little low, not what i expected at least, Fallout 3 (360) did 375k in three days, Guitar Hero II (360) did 291k in two days ($80 bundle) and those were multiplatform games.

It's going to do good in March, no doubt about it. But it's not going to be the mega-hit, PS3 savior alot of people had predicted. Speaking of, was Hoffman banned again? He predicted a big PS3 console sales boost.

Loudninja said:
Where the hell is TLR for the Ps3 anyway? :lol

I really don't think it is coming out anymore. Wasn't the game supposed to come out in March 2009? Not even a screenshot or anything. If they were worried about maximizing the sales of TLR, they should of released them on both platforms at the same time like they do for most other multiplatform games. It is a mystery why most Japanese developers keep placing all of their JRPG's on the X360. I love my X360 just like I love my PS3, but I really don't think the X360 is the ideal console to release most of their JRPG's on. Lost Odyssey did pretty good, but it had a ton of advertising behind it. WKC with somewhat mixed reviews on the PS3 outsold literally all of these RPG's by a substantial amount which is perturbing. I love games regardless of what consoles they are on, but the majority of these JRPG's sales are pretty depressing and I don't want them to go the way of the dinosaur due to lack of sales.

Maybe the software attach ratio isn't as high as people expect for PS3 because once consumers buy a PS3, they don't have alot of money left over for games. I think the primary problem is, most gamers want these systems for games mostly and most of what can be found on the PS3 can be found on the X360 for basically half the price. Once those high profile exclusives started slipping away from Sony, consumers feel like they have less and less reasons to make the investment in a much more expensive PS3. Yes, a price drop would definitely help, but imo Sony also need to give and show consumers other reasons to own a PS3 over an X360 besides BluRay and a handful of exclusives. I saw that $400 PS3 bundle with those 2 games a while back and that is what they should of done during Christmas 2008. I guess it is sort of step in the right direction, but I am not sure if it will be enough. Better than nothing I suppose.

Dragon

Banned
Kuroyume said:
So much for the PS3 version of SF4 outselling the 360.

Yeah that 43K with the difference of the install bases is something Microsoft should crow about!

But you are a Mets fan, so I'll lay off.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Arpharmd B said:
It's going to do good in March, no doubt about it. But it's not going to be the mega-hit, PS3 savior alot of people had predicted.
I don't think anyone on GAF ever thought it would anyways. Hoffman is perma'd I think.

ElyrionX said:
I don't know why people are shocked by the SF4 multiplatform numbers. The sheer shittiness of the 360's dpad and the fact that the PS3 version is the one that will be used at tournaments like Evo would almost certainly mean that a large portion of the hardcore would go for the PS3 version.

There's also the fact that the people who buy SF4 are almost certainly the ones who grew up with the franchise during the days when the SNES/PS1/PS2 were dominant. As a proportion of the respective system's userbase, these people would probably form a larger proportion on the PS3 than on the 360.

Yeah but even on places like SRK the base is split. Actually, the 360 version is probably a touch more popular there. So it's not the hardcore base that is causing this.

Even more strange is that a good bit of people bought both versions. But saying that the hard-hardcore SF players, players that would know about EVO or care is not going to amount to even 100k people in the United States. There is something else going on, it has alot of us shaking our heads.

Say what you will about the DPad, doesn't change the fact 360 base is double PS3 base. Something is not adding up.

Still, great news for Capcom and SF4. Being my favorite company and game, I am very happy.

Cipherr

jred250 said:
However, although those are great numbers, it still doesn't show up on the top ten like it's DS little brother.

Honestly? Nothing else really does that. Those long legged DS games are unique, its not just that Galaxy hasnt stayed in the top ten for years, its that like......no other game has done that ever. Those DS games are really kind of doing something I cant recall ever happening before. We cant point to anything similar because they are the first of their kind.

Kuroyume said:
So much for the PS3 version of SF4 outselling the 360.

Are you seriously going to push that POV when the PS3 kept pace TOE TO TOE with the 360 version of SF4 this month even considering the userbase gap? I know that the userbase isnt something Capcom gives a shit about. But it seems a little odd for you to pimp the PS3 version not being able to outsell the 360 one when it was soooo close, and theres a huge install base difference that makes it seem as if it shouldn't have been close at all in the first place.

jred250 said:
Yeah, you are absolutely right about Kart. I guess I was just hoping that it would spill over to Mario as well. What the heck is it about Mario Kart that makes it a sales beast on DS and Wii?

I highly doubt alot of people will agree, but for me it was the online. The online made me buy the DS version and its the same for the Wii. Its a great multiplayer games that we all probably played on SNES when we were younger with friends and family. As an adult the closest you can come to that multiplayer setting is playing online. The very thought of that nostalgia you have for the game years ago bring relived is enough to get alot of people to buy it and try it.

Add onto that that MKDS and MKWii are just really good games and its a wrap. I still think Rareware or ND with CTR could have done better though (if we were talking old Rareware, not new Rare).

duk said:
Do you guys think KZ2 will recoup it's 20m+ cost in its lifetime?

I dont believe even for a SECOND that KZ2's price tag is anywhere near as low as 20m. Theres no way in HELL.

Flying_Phoenix said:
The industry has significantly grown this generation (as of every generation). Yes the PS3 is doing okay by LAST generation standards but not all too hot THIS generation. If I wanted to pick bones I could probably say that the PS3 is doing very well compared to the SNES, Genesis, and Turbograffix days.

Furthermore the more advanced the system the bigger the install base has to be. Fancy games are expensive to make doncha know.

Certainly the combined install base of the 360 and PS3 is still to low to avoid 3rd party publishers from losing money making games for them.

Rolf NB

ztg7pg.png

YakiSOBA

what i don't understand is why the wii is selling as well as it is, i own the wii and ps3 and i NEVER touch the wii.. last time we played it was the xmas we got it but the novelty wore off after that.

boggles my mind :(

Blame!

spwolf said:
it already did. Are you shocked?

wtf are you smoking?

and KZ2 very likely cost north of 20 million to produce.

who knows, maybe sony saved a bunch of monies on lack of marketing for the game. :lol

Well when you figure that Sony makes their money when games are sold to retailers, and not consumers, it's very likely to have recouped its development costs if the 2M+ retailer pre-order numbers are to be believed. It's not like Sony dropped $50M marketing the game.

Nutter

Not to troll Killzone because the game is awesome and it deserves better sales. But some of you fanboys are the reason others will troll the game and its sales. Here is an idea stop saying 2 days of sales, there is no reason why this game shouldnt be over a million units in the US alone. People jump on Halo for various reasons and compare the quality of both of the games, but little do they know Halo does 2+ million in its first day or 2. (in the US alone) so how about them sales :p .

ElyrionX said:
So, even with KZ2, PS3 numbers still fail to come anywhere close to 360?

If there is a hardware boost from the game it looks like it will come next month if it comes at all but current sales look like the game was selling to current owners.

Blame!

OldJadedGamer said:
If there is a hardware boost from the game it looks like it will come next month if it comes at all but current sales look like the game was selling to current owners.

just like halo 3 which also didn't move consoles significantly. people need to stop expecting hardcore games to sell consoles. only price cuts sell consoles.

Kuroyume

Banned
TheBranca18 said:
Yeah that 43K with the difference of the install bases is something Microsoft should crow about!

But you are a Mets fan, so I'll lay off.

Puncture said:
Are you seriously going to push that POV when the PS3 kept pace TOE TO TOE with the 360 version of SF4 this month even considering the userbase gap? I know that the userbase isnt something Capcom gives a shit about. But it seems a little odd for you to pimp the PS3 version not being able to outsell the 360 one when it was soooo close, and theres a huge install base difference that makes it seem as if it shouldn't have been close at all in the first place.

No, I am actually impressed that it's that close. My response is in reference to a thread posted by Darkpen suggesting that the PS3 version was outselling the 360 version.

Cheez-It

ElyrionX said:
SNES/PS1/PS2 were dominant. As a proportion of the respective system's userbase, these people would probably form a larger proportion on the PS3 than on the 360.

What do the PS and PS2 have to do with anything?

SuperBonk

Psychotext said:
Tut tut... come on people. Need more KZ2 LTD predictions for the end of March.

Mine's 860k for what it's worth. Step up!
Yeah, I'm thinking around 800k LTD for the US through March. Should probably do 1-1.5 million total (depending on legs) for the US and around 2.5 to 3 million worldwide. At least, that's my guess.

DMeisterJ

Banned
timetokill said:
How much would you think it cost to make?

Oh, I've got no clue, and I'm pretty sure it was more than 20 million. I was just finding it ironic that someone can give such a vague number for budget and no one ask for a link, but ask for one saying it's profitable.

I will say that it's really kinda weird to try to figure out if the game is profitable or not, because do we factor in the purchase of Guerilla Games into the 'profit'? Do we factor in the fact that SCE is the developer and publisher, so you don't really have to 'pay' yourself with the sales of the game? How much did KZ2 really cost when you factor in the cost of everything involved, not just pure development costs/time? Kinda sketchy.

Psychotext said:
Tut tut... come on people. Need more KZ2 LTD predictions for the end of March.

Mine's 860k for what it's worth. Step up!

Hmmm...this will probably have some legs, though not amazing legs--but legs, nevetheless. Sooo...I'll say 500k~ by the end of March for NA

Kuroyume

Banned
I think Sony should do another ad for KZ2. While the current ad is nice it doesn't really do that well of a job selling the game.

Blame! said:
just like halo 3 which also didn't move consoles significantly. people need to stop expecting hardcore games to sell consoles. only price cuts sell consoles.

Didn't the console sales for the 360 jump over a 150k when Halo 3 was released, and isn't The month Halo 3 came out still MS biggest Non Holiday month?

I expect Killzone 2 to continue to sell well throughout the year, but I am not expecting it to break any records. Didn't the game have over 1 million preorders in the UK? I see the game selling 2 to 2.5 million units worldwide lifetime.

FateBreaker said:
Hmmm...this will probably have some legs, though not amazing legs--but legs, nevetheless. Sooo...I'll say 500k~ by the end of March for NA
Wouldn't that be just a tad low? Gears 1 did a million in three weeks, and there were only about 3.5m 360s in the US at the time. KZ2 is selling to over 7m PS3s.

AniHawk

Kuroyume said:
I think Sony should do another ad for KZ2. While the current ad is nice it doesn't really do that well of a job selling the game.

They don't have that kind of money to throw around. And it's too late to "save" the game at this point anyway.

Fredescu

DMeisterJ said:
Oh, I've got no clue, and I'm pretty sure it was more than 20 million. I was just finding it ironic that someone can give such a vague number for budget and no one ask for a link, but ask for one saying it's profitable.
Someone posted upthread that GG were claiming that it had a bigger budget than the most expensive movie made in the Netherlands, which was about the $20million mark.

Barrett2

Kuroyume said:

The current ad is very forgettable. PS3 advertising consistently underwhelms.

Tobor

The Lost and the Damned sold over 325,000 in two weeks according to Aaron Greenberg:

Gamasutra said:
Chief amongst that exclusive content in February was Rockstar North's Grand Theft Auto IV: The Lost & Damned expansion distributed solely through Xbox Live. Greenberg did not reveal specific numbers, but did reiterate that it was "the most successful game addon content we've ever launched."

"If that content was sold at retail, it would be one of the best sellers across all platforms," he added. "It would have outsold Killzone 2."

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=22833

That is really impressive for a $20 download only expansion. Awesome news for R*.

_Angelus_

Banned
DMeisterJ said:
And also evidence to claim KZ2's cost was 20 million+

Where's the evidence that it didn't then? Use common sense already. A game in development for 31/2 years and looking that good on very notorious hard to program hardware isn't exactly cheap.

Top Bottom