• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2009

Blame! said:
just like halo 3 which also didn't move consoles significantly. people need to stop expecting hardcore games to sell consoles. only price cuts sell consoles.

What were the 360 numbers for September 2007 (Halo3 release) compared with the previous September 2006?

gantz85

Banned
Doesn't Killzone already have 1.1 million confirmed pre-orders in Europe before release? Take that with the 300,000 copies here and we have 1.4 million sold at retail price. Taking away retail cut you probably have something like $40US in revenue for Sony for each copy and we have $52million in revenue already. How will it NOT cover its development costs?

I'm surprised at the amount of trolls that appear with each NPD thread who are not normally visible in times without though... Still, Sony brought it on themselves and I for one am glad they are about to save themselves from this awful situation by introducing the same Motorstorm bundle they had and add Resistance:FOM to it... for the same price.... :lol:lol:lol

I've always said Scott Steinburg sucks, he's just a fuckhead from Sega. Why did they poach from Sega when it suffered one of the biggest failures in console history? Is Tretton buddy-buddy with Steinburg? Because Steinburg's tenure has been really awful so far. All he does is mouth off how wonderful and"AAA" Sony releases are, I bet he doesn't even play or know what most of these games are. Now that Sony is being restructured from the top, the game division itself could use some restructuring..

TChirath

Neo Member
Some quick thoughts that came to mind after scanning the numbers:

- Difference between 360 and PS3 version of SF4 is smaller than expected.
- KZ2 number was not bad, but not good either even for 2 days.
- PS3 sales are lower than I expected
- Wii numbers are amazing, but that worries me. There have only been a few Wii games in the past 6 months that I bought, but the system continues to sell so damn well. If I were one of Nintendo suits, I wouldn't even bother investing in another Zelda or high-budget titles until the next system.
- Despite rough year start for Sony, I think we may see a lot of 360-only owners buying a PS3 due to its upcoming and already released exclusives IF MS doesn't announce anything new this year soon.

chubigans said:
Why do people keep saying this? Aside from a few thousand internet fans, there was no hype for Killzone 2.
Were you reading a different GAF to the one I read? Killzone 2's audience already knew about the game. They knew the fuck out of it. They've known about it since E3 2005 and that infamous trailer and has featured on every single "Wait for..." list for the PS3 since, right next to "Final Fantasy VII Remake".

You know the trailer I'm talk ing about. It's the one that caused that guy to trade in his Xbox fanboy jacket for a Sony one. It's also the game that spawned a million gifs that were obnoxiously spammed on every game-related forum on the Internet. It's also the game that launched ten thousand Helghast avatars and enabled Kittonwy to continue his stupid joke character antics.

To say that there was no hype for Killzone 2 is a filthy lie and you should pray to whatever deity you believe in for forgiveness lest you become the focus of divine retribution for your blasphemous deception.

markatisu

Kusagari said:
CoD was not that big until 4. 4 just had amazing legs and word of mouth. Killzone could have the same. It was not as hyped as people act like. It was hyped on GAF that's it.

While CoD4 was a mega monster, CoD3 on the 360 sold 333k 1st month (6th place) and 1.1m in Dec of 2006 (3rd place) so its not like CoD3 was a piece of shit

Some great gif competition this month all round. Particularly impressed with DrForester and HylianTom's works.

Regarding the results, I'm not going to say price drop, there's no point. Sony are caught between a recession and a hard place. They're selling the most expensive console in history, during the worst recession in living memory.

In terms of business decisions and profit, Nintendo have got so much right this generation, that their models of development and marketing will become required-reading for all future console manufacturers.

I think Sony did an excellent job of pushing Killzone 2 with the hardcore gamer demographic, but they pretty much didn't bother with anyone else.

I actually expect this game to be that same odd sort of 'leggy' that Uncharted and LBP were/are, but still, looking at the probable dev costs along with the sales of other titles in the genre, the initial sales are probably not what Sony was hoping for. It could have been a hell of a lot worse, though.

markatisu said:
While CoD4 was a mega monster, CoD3 on the 360 sold 333k 1st month (6th place) and 1.1m in Dec of 2006 (3rd place) so its not like CoD3 was a piece of shit

sales wise

3-500k for the month is a decent figure, and will surely tick well over it's budget in time. it won't set the world on fire, but it seems unfair to expect this.

inb4 2 days

ghst

thanks for the laugh
i'd consider the killzone 2 figure underwhelming, but underwhelming for what?

reception has been extremely mixed, varying from zeus:encoded to a middling slog. hype has been (outside of the common sense graveyard of gaf threads) relatively muted, both in advertising and word of mouth, it's using an ip that nobody previously gave a rats ass about and the ps3 is definitely not the go-to console for the majority of the console fps contingent.

3-500k for the month is a decent figure, and will surely tick well enough. it won't set the world on fire, but it seems unfair to expect this.

then you factor in the budget. that's when it all gets a little less rosy.

gantz85 said:
Doesn't Killzone already have 1.1 million confirmed pre-orders in Europe before release?
Ask yourself this... why are companies so willing to give out European pre-order numbers when they generally wont for other regions?

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Good stuff for Street Fighter IV - very nice to see what happens when a main Street Fighter comes out after more than a decade...

Get that update out for lobbies soon though!

Killzone 2 - after all these many years, the hope, and the GAF hype on the forums, people are now saying that 300-something thousand in sales is what they expected?

That's some bold-face lying if I ever saw any - I wished that everyone that said that posted their predictions before saying that... I would have expected that the biggest PS3 game that has been talked about should have done much better - then again, the amount of times I saw the plain commercial could be counted on one hand, and never saw any ads past that, whether posters or even web ads...

MWS Natural said:
SavethePS3.jpg

Cold-blooded man... :lol

Dirtbag

Segata Sanshiro said:
I think Sony did an excellent job of pushing Killzone 2 with the hardcore gamer demographic, but they pretty much didn't bother with anyone else.

I actually expect this game to be that same odd sort of 'leggy' that Uncharted and LBP were/are, but still, looking at the probable dev costs along with the sales of other titles in the genre, the initial sales are probably not what Sony was hoping for. It could have been a hell of a lot worse, though.
That's about what I think to.
I love the shit out of killzone2, but I think the learning curve (in regards to the MP) is going to turn off people more and more. There is a pretty noticeable skill gap emerging in the gameplay, combined with some pretty complicated modes/strategies/classes with little or no tutorials. As the killzone community gets even better, I really think those arriving to the game late are going to have an extremely hard time learning and unlocking, and without a playlist/party system I honestly think that the COD franchise is going to be Killzone's long-term undoing. Doesn't modern warfare 2 release this upcoming fall?

Zen

Banned
Nutter said:
That is an BS excuse, especially for a game so hyped up like Killzone.

No it's not a BS excuse, outside of the Hardcore PS customers and hardcore gamers, few people know about Killzone, they only started running ads for it after release. CoD4 sold 444k in November on the PS3 for its first month,and you're saying that Killzone 2 selling 300K in it's first two days is somehow a BS excuse?

November 2007
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (PS3) - Activision - 444 000
Release date: November 6, 2007
Number of day counted: 23

March 2009
Killzone 2 (PS3) - Sony Computer Entertainment - 323 000
Release Date: February 27, 2009
Number of days counted: 2

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Call_of_Duty_4
http://www.thesimexchange.com/blogpost.php?post_id=455

gantz85

Banned
Zen said:
No it's not a BS excuse, outside of the Hardcore PS customers and hardcore gamers, few people know about Killzone, they only started running adds for it after release. CoD4 sold 444k in November on the PS3 for its first month,and you're saying that Killzone 2 selling 300K in it's first two days is somehow a BS excuse?

November 2008
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (PS3) - Activision - 444 000

Release date: November 6, 2007
Number of day counted: 23

March 2009
Killzone 2 (PS3) - Sony Computer Entertainment - 323 000
Release Date: February 27, 2009
Number of days counted: 2

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Call_of_Duty_4
http://www.thesimexchange.com/blogpost.php?post_id=455

Interesting.

Still think Sony is not getting their act together on KZ2 for the masses. The internet hardcore can account for those initial sales, but it needs legs.

Zen said:
No it's not a BS excuse, outside of the Hardcore PS customers and hardcore gamers, few people know about Killzone, they only started running adds for it after release. Hell sold 444k in November on the PS3 for its first month,and you're saying that Killzone 2 selling 300K in it's first two days is somehow a BS excuse?
Here's some more...

Some comparison numbers for KZ2...

Gears 1 - 1.00m in 3 weeks to ~3.4m 360s
Bioshock - 0.49m in 10 days (0.64m over 40 days) to ~6.1m 360s.
COD4 - 1.57m in 4 weeks to ~7.8m 360s.

PS3
COD4 - 0.44m in 4 weeks to ~2.4m PS3s.
GTAIV - 1.0m in 5 days to ~4.2m PS3s.
MGS4 - 0.74m in 3 weeks to ~4.8m PS3s.
CODW@W - 0.60m in 2 weeks to ~6.1m PS3s.

There are currently ~7.2m PS3s out there.

Some people have been willing to predict what the total sales after March will be... that's the far more interesting number. :D Oh, and you should probably pay attention to the installed base as it's quite important.

SuperBonk

Psychotext said:
Some people have been willing to predict what the total sales after March will be... that's the far more interesting number. :D Oh, and you should probably pay attention to the installed base as it's quite important.
Exactly! Not only will we see how it compared to all the games listed in your previous post but also Resident Evil and Halo Wars!

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Psychotext said:
Here's some more...

I'm not sure I understand those comparison charts. Why compare Bioshock to COD? What am I missing here?

Zen

Banned
suffah said:
Do you know what "front-loaded" or "drop-off" mean?

So Killzone 2 is magically the most front loaded first party title for SCE because you say so, even though it's also the most mass appeal hardcore gamer title they've released so far?

Why are you convinced that Killzone 2 will have such a huge drop off (shooter typically don't). Uncharted wasn't front loaded, Ratchet and Clank wasn't front loaded. Hell, Little Big Planet wasn't front loaded. Why will Killzone 2 be so front loaded.

Pachael

Mama Robotnik said:
In terms of business decisions and profit, Nintendo have got so much right this generation, that their models of development and marketing will become required-reading for all future console manufacturers.

And business strategy readers. And management course takers. And CEOs. And whoever dissed the blue ocean strategy etc. Not the guy who predicted that Obama's toast and the Repubs would win 300EVs though, he's rubbish at predictions.

Strike

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Were you reading a different GAF to the one I read? Killzone 2's audience already knew about the game. They knew the fuck out of it. They've known about it since E3 2005 and that infamous trailer and has featured on every single "Wait for..." list for the PS3 since, right next to "Final Fantasy VII Remake".

You know the trailer I'm talk ing about. It's the one that caused that guy to trade in his Xbox fanboy jacket for a Sony one. It's also the game that spawned a million gifs that were obnoxiously spammed on every game-related forum on the Internet. It's also the game that launched ten thousand Helghast avatars and enabled Kittonwy to continue his stupid joke character antics.

To say that there was no hype for Killzone 2 is a filthy lie and you should pray to whatever deity you believe in for forgiveness lest you become the focus of divine retribution for your blasphemous deception.

Bottom line: $400+ Lackluster marketing + Bad Economy= RelativelyLackluster Sales. Personally I think 323,000 units in TWO DAYS in FEBRUARY on a system that has a entry level that is around TWO TIMES the amount of it's compeition is respectable. Granted it could've done better, but if anyone was expecting Halo 3 numbers, I would like to know what kind of meds you are taking and suggest you up your dosage.

OuterWorldVoice said:
I'm not sure I understand those comparison charts. Why compare Bioshock to COD? What am I missing here?
It's a range of games with guns, what they sold, and how many consoles were out there when they were released. Some good numbers, some not so good numbers.

I didn't include Halo 3 because... well, frankly there's no comparison. I didn't include Gears 2 because the 360 userbase size was considerably bigger than the current PS3 userbase size when it was released.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
The real sad news is that this means House of the Dead: Overkill sold less than 135k!

This is far more of a travesty than whaever half you wanted for Killzone. FPS games on PS3 are not going anywhere. Now we won't get our HARDCORE on WII anymore :(

bdouble

TChirath said:
- Wii numbers are amazing, but that worries me. There have only been a few Wii games in the past 6 months that I bought, but the system continues to sell so damn well. If I were one of Nintendo suits, I wouldn't even bother investing in another Zelda or high-budget titles until the next system.

You would if your goal is to surpass the PS2 which they are gunning for.

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2009/01/30/iwata-nintendos-e3-2009-software-aimed-to-topple-ps2/

Iwata: Nintendo’s E3 2009 Software Aimed To Topple PS2

John Harker said:
The real sad news is that this means House of the Dead: Overkill sold less than 135k!

This is far more of a travesty than whaever half you wanted for Killzone. FPS games on PS3 are not going anywhere. Now we won't get our HARDCORE on WII anymore :(

wait till next month.. please chart madworld!

Narcosis

John Harker said:

But the real question on "hardcore" Wii games is not the number, but do they meet the expectations and recoup the dev budget? Do we know what Sega forecasted?

suffah

Does maths and stuff
Zen said:
So Killzone 2 is magically the most front loaded first party title for SCE because you say so, even though it's also the most mass appeal hardcore gamer title they've released so far?

Avatar bet that KZ2 will not top 10 next month. That's a legit drop-off if it happens.

markatisu

John Harker said:

You thought it would sell higher than 135k? No light gun game has done that in one month, it took almost a year for REUC to reach 455k in the US

Shit HoTD Overkill has charted higher than any other light gun game in the EU for more time and at most it will have gotten a 100-200k award

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
viciouskillersquirrel said:

There was hype on the internet for Killzone 2, which resulted in over 300k internet hardcore gamers to buy the game.

There was ZERO hype outside the internet. I know it, you know it, and the sales show it. If you seriously think GAF is a barometer of gaming sales, well, you'd know we'd be seeing a very different top ten list right about now.

yoopoo

Banned
John Harker said:

Well Wii games don't stop selling after the first week, see all the high selling crapware.

DevelopmentArrested said:
You laughed at 20 and now have moved the bar to 40? Being in development forever means the costs would be higher. Do a little research and you'll see that it easily crossed the 20$ million mark so care to edit your original post or?

It is true that they definitely saved money on advertising... or lack thereof.

...Huh? I'm walking around to make sure I'm not drunk, I only had a few sips of beeeeyaahh.

I am saying exactly what you think I'm not saying: development costs are crazy high, and a 20-million budget would not be enough...I would wager it was more around 40 million. Now, what the hell are you bitching about? That's all I said. I am sure K2 will recover that amount, if it hasn't worldwide already, but I DON'T think that it will push Sony into a profit of some sort this quarter.

I'm still trying to figure out what you're disputing with me...."Being in development forever means the costs would be higher." No, shit?

Rezbit

gantz85 said:
Interesting.

Still think Sony is not getting their act together on KZ2 for the masses. The internet hardcore can account for those initial sales, but it needs legs.

Weird, I've been seeing ads for KZ2 for a while on TV in Australia, and if you know anything about Australia and gaming ads, they are minimal at best. It is a bit tacky mind you, it finishes with the voice over dude saying "Their home, your hell" or something.

AniHawk

John Harker said:

Unlike the PS3, Wii games have legs.

Though, unlike OTHER third-party Wii games, HotD actually had advertisements. Still, I think MadWorld will wind up being a better test.

markatisu

yoopoo said:
Well Wii games don't stop selling after the first week, see all the high selling crapware.

This should be repeated next month for MadWorld as well, remember GAF you called Boom Blox a bomba, De Blob a bomba, and CoD WaW Wii a bomba because 1st month blew

phez

Banned
I'm one of those that fully expected major PS3 sales for Feb (the beating-360-kind-of-sales), but after looking the predictions thread, it seems like most of you got the predictions right. Count me surprised.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
i hope those types that don't acknowledge how frontloaded big console exclusives are remember the lbp debacle, where we all waited with baited breathe to find out that it didn't even chart in the top 20 for it's first "proper" month of sales, after achieving 215k in the few days it had at the end of the previous month.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
Zen said:
Ok, now I'm curious, what's an 'Avatar bet'? :lol

The winner chooses the avatar the other user must use for 2 weeks, or however long you want. :D

The #10 spot next month will probably need 150-175k. That means KZ2 will need to only sell ~50% of what it did in the first two days for the entire month of March.

EDIT: Oh crap KZ2 ad just came on tv. Probably an omen. :lol

Posted ? Nintendo's response :

Nintendo’s Wii Play Surpasses 10 Million Units Sold in the United States

Wii Play™, a collection of nine mini-games, has now sold more than 10 million units in the United States alone since its debut in February 2007, according to figures released today by the independent NPD Group, which tracks video game sales in the United States. Wii Play, now the top-selling software on all consoles and portable systems in the United States, comes packaged with a Wii Remote™ controller.

“Wii Play mini-games are fun and they get people playing together,” said Cammie Dunaway, Nintendo of America’s executive vice president of Sales & Marketing. “Even if you believe people are buying Wii Play solely for the controller, that indicates that there are now more than 10 million people who have an extra Wii Remote controller in their homes. When added to the 12.7 million Wii Remote controllers that have sold separately, this reinforces the growing ‘social gaming’ trend we have been seeing where friends and family use their Wii games as a social hub – both in person and online.”

Wii™ system sales were up about 74 percent over February 2008, and Wii and Nintendo DS™ finished February as the top-selling hardware systems. Wii sold nearly 753,000, bringing its lifetime U.S. sales to nearly 19 million, while Nintendo DS sold nearly 588,000 for a lifetime U.S. total of nearly 29 million.

Nintendo DS™ demonstrated continued strength, as “evergreen” games like Mario Kart™ DS (launched November 2005) and New Super Mario Bros.™ (launched May 2006) again placed among the top sellers for February. The strong showing for Nintendo DS hardware and software demonstrates continued consumer interest in the portable system as the United States preps for the April 5 launch of the Nintendo DSi™ system, the third iteration of the hardware.

Five games made for Nintendo systems finished in the top 10 best-sellers of February. These include Wii Fit™ at No. 1 with nearly 644,000 sold, Wii Play at No. 2 with nearly 386,000 sold, Mario Kart™ Wii at No. 6 with nearly 263,000 sold, Mario Kart DS at No. 8 with nearly 145,000 sold and New Super Mario Bros. at No. 9 with more than 144,000 sold.

Third-party Wii and Nintendo DS games also posted strong sales, with titles from LucasArts, Ubisoft, Majesco, Disney Interactive Studios, Electronic Arts and Activision/Blizzard all placing in the top 30 for the month.

For more information about Nintendo, please visit www.Nintendo.com

Source

No mention of Sega among the thrid parties placed in the top 30 has me worried a bit for HOTD Overkill. I personally expected it to be placed at least in the top 20...

Top Bottom