• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2009

YakiSOBA said:
what i don't understand is why the wii is selling as well as it is, i own the wii and ps3 and i NEVER touch the wii.. last time we played it was the xmas we got it but the novelty wore off after that.

boggles my mind :(
Well, the first step towards recovery is admitting you have a problem, so congratulations! I don't suppose you're ready to choose a sponsor yet? At any rate, SMG should be your first port of call.

In time, you'll open up and let us know what exactly it is that's driving you from the fun you could be having. Just remember, we're here for you.

Zhuk

Banned
KZ2 numbers are a bit low relatively considering the amount of hype and hysteria the gaming community have given it, we'll have to see if the prediction hoffman gave me of over 750k for feb and march comes to fruition.

Honestly i'll be surprised if sales for KZ2 in March are higher than those in Feb, but we shall see!

Fantastical

Death Prophet
YakiSOBA said:
what i don't understand is why the wii is selling as well as it is, i own the wii and ps3 and i NEVER touch the wii.. last time we played it was the xmas we got it but the novelty wore off after that.

boggles my mind :(
If you really only played it the Christmas you got it, then you didn't give it a chance. There are good games out for it... you just need to play them.

pakkit

Banned
If PS3 gets a pricedrop to put it in competition with Xbox360, you bet your ass I'll buy the PS3, just for the added benefit of BluRay.

Will it ever pass NPD of 360 here? No, but I do think sales will pick up. It's just hard to tell whether the cost slash will reap enough benefits to warrant the cut. I hope Sony does it though, and soon.

Dirtbag

Zhuk said:
KZ2 numbers are a bit low relatively considering the amount of hype and hysteria the gaming community have given it, we'll have to see if the prediction hoffman gave me of over 750k for feb and march comes to fruition.

Honestly i'll be surprised if sales for KZ2 in March are higher than those in Feb, but we shall see!
I thought KZ2 would have matched MGS4's first month with a bit over 700k as well, especially given the genre and the hype, visuals, and reviews.

Niks

Zhuk said:

Seriously, this has been said wayyy too many times, but here it is again!

KZ2 numbers are from 2 days only.

DuckRacer

Tobor said:
The Lost and the Damned sold over 325,000 in two weeks according to Aaron Greenberg:

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=22833

That is really impressive for a $20 download only expansion. Awesome news for R*.
"the most successful game addon content we've ever launched."
Wait, what? The CoD4 map pack (the previous record holder) was downloaded over a million times in 9 days. Even when you count revenue, you're making $10 million with CoD4 and over $6.5 million with L&D. And the map pack being on two platforms doesn't matter when it was exclusive to 360 for the first 3 weeks. What's the deal?

Dirtbag

Niks said:
Seriously, this has been said wayyy too many times, but here it is again!

KZ2 numbers are from 2 days only.

Yeah but that's all the pre-orders folded into that, and a huge chunk of a games first month sales.

Does anyone have a chart of games for which "only 2 days" has been used as a defense?

I would be interested to see how things worked out for those games.

AniHawk

Count Dookkake said:
Does anyone have a chart of games for which "only 2 days" has been used as a defense?

Super Mario Sunshine
LittleBigPlanet
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
Super Return of the Jedi

Boulayman

Dirtbag said:
I thought KZ2 would have matched MGS4's first month with a bit over 700k as well, especially given the genre and the hype.

Well , if I remember correctly, MGS 4 came out june 12th so it had 18 days to reach that 700k you mention. Kz2 reached 330 k in two days... It reached pretty much half what MGS 4 sold in a ninth of the MGS4 timefame. Now you'll say that it's because the game is very front loaded or something but I don't think Fps are that frontloaded. Not like jrpgs for sure but I have no idea how frontloaded MGS 4 was in comparison, I would assume it was quite frontloaded too. It would be interesting to see how much MGS 4 sold in its first two days. I would expect it to have outsold KZ2 but most certainly by a far smaller margin than the 2 days vs 18 days comparison you make.

ElyrionX

Cheez-It said:
What do the PS and PS2 have to do with anything?

If you grew up with SF2 on the SNES, you would probably have moved onto the PS1 and PS2 in the later generations. Many of these gamers have stayed relatively loyal to Sony and if they only buy one console, it would probably be a PS3. And I would imagine that these people in their mid 20s to early 30s (who experienced SF2 when it was first released in the 90s) would be the bulk of the people buying SF4. I can only provide anecdotal evidence for this but many of my friends are such cases.

AniHawk

Boulayman said:
Well , if I remember correctly, MGS 4 came out june 12th so it had 18 days to reach that 700k you mention. Kz2 reached 330 k in two days... It reached pretty much half what MGS 4 sold in a ninth of the MGS4 timefame. Now you'll say that it's because the game is very front loaded or something but I don't think Fps are that frontloaded. Not like jrpgs for sure but I have no idea how frontloaded MGS 4 was in comparison, I would assume it was quite frontloaded too.

Roughly 70% of all MGS4's sales in the US came from its first month.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Count Dookkake said:

Doesn't really help since each game has different circumstances, install bases, genres, competing games, etc

ElyrionX

Also, if I remember correctly, the whole argument about NPD numbers only reflecting the first few days or the first week of sales was used for LBP as well. Look how that turned out.

I think the Killzone numbers are decent. We're only looking at 2 days of sales. Plus the game released on a friday, which is rare. I didn't even get my copy till the following week.

Boulayman

AniHawk said:
Roughly 70% of all MGS4's sales in the US came from its first month.

Thanks for the precision

Well, that is very front loaded. Not jrpg front loaded but more than I would expect. As someone else in this thread pointed out, it would be interesting to see how many units it has sold in its first two days in the US to be able to compare but unfortunately I don't think we will be able to have that info, the release date for kz2 was kinda weird in that way ^^ Maybe there's some big profile ps3 game we could compare it to that was released at the end of a particular month..

Edit: Lol, nevermind anihawk, you posted a few of those already ^^

Dragon

Banned
Nutter said:
That is an BS excuse, especially for a game so hyped up like Killzone.

Yeah can all the people 'defending' KZ2's sales numbers with two days only just stop. Everyone knows it by now and it's silly to keep reiterating it. Like you're the witch from the Wizard of Oz screaming I'm melting. It keeps getting softer and more pathetic each time you say it.

gdt

2 Questions

Was it just me or was this months NPD really late (about a week)?

If so, will it go back to it's usual schedule for April NPD (I guess about three weeks from now)?

suffah

Does maths and stuff
I think KZ2 will not be in the top 10 next NPD because of the low PS3 numbers.

This indicates that the game mainly sold to current owners of the system. And the current owners are probably hardcore enough to buy the guy on the release date.

It's too bad because KZ2 definitely deserves the sales but RE5 + Halo Wars will end up knocking it out of the top 10.

TheBranca18 said:
Yeah can all the people 'defending' KZ2's sales numbers with two days only just stop. Everyone knows it by now and it's silly to keep reiterating it. Like you're the witch from the Wizard of Oz screaming I'm melting. It keeps getting softer and more pathetic each time you say it.
:lol

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Nutter said:
Why do people keep saying this? Aside from a few thousand internet fans, there was no hype for Killzone 2.

Halo 3 had merchandising promotions, slurpee cups, Mountain Dew Halo 3 branded drinks, commercials, movie trailers, launch parties, banners, everything.

Killzone 2 had...one commercial, a week before launch.

Sony did a horrible job advertising. I think this game will have much stronger legs than people might think, given that nearly no one knows about it. But Sony completely dropped the ball there.

Cheez-It

I suppose I see the direction you are coming from, if you ignore the Xbox, 360, and non Sony gamers (there aren't many of us I suppose. personally I thought Sony took gaming in a shitty direction and went PC only at some point before Perfect Dark and OOT on the N64).

But the point on the 360 d-pad stands.

raYne

TheBranca18 said:
:lol Amazing.

gdt5016 said:
2 Questions

Was it just me or was this months NPD really late (about a week)?

If so, will it go back to it's usual schedule for April NPD (I guess about three weeks from now)?
Yes, and yes.

chubigans said:
Why do people keep saying this? Aside from a few thousand internet fans, there was no hype for Killzone 2.

Halo 3 had merchandising promotions, slurpee cups, Mountain Dew Halo 3 branded drinks, commercials, movie trailers, launch parties, banners, everything.

Killzone 2 had...one commercial, a week before launch.

Sony did a horrible job advertising. I think this game will have much stronger legs than people might think, given that nearly no one knows about it. But Sony completely dropped the ball there.

this this fucking this

Seriously, it was woefully mishandled

Gaborn

Niks said:

Why is it that people go from "OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGKZ2ISTEHAWESOME" to "no one heard of it so you can't expect anyone to buy it"? Seriously. LBP had HUGE hype from Sony for years, it sold ok but NOTHING like they were suggesting it could. KZ2 has had even BIGGER hype, in the gaming AND mainstream press and HUGE word of mouth among gamers. You can't just play dumb with this and claim Sony did nothing.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
TheBranca18 said:
Great analogy. :lol

ElyrionX

chubigans said:

Well, this *is* GAF and the game was hyped the shit out of on message boards and mainstream gaming sites which is pretty much what GAF users are exposed to on a daily basis.

chubigans said:

I would think LBP probably had far more potential in selling hardware compared to KZ2 and they dropped the ball on that too. Sony really needs to start learning.

Gaborn said:
Why is it that people go from "OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGKZ2ISTEHAWESOME" to "no one heard of it so you can't expect anyone to buy it"? Seriously. LBP had HUGE hype from Sony for years, it sold ok but NOTHING like they were suggesting it could. KZ2 has had even BIGGER hype, in the gaming AND mainstream press and HUGE word of mouth among gamers. You can't just play dumb with this and claim Sony did nothing.

Yep, precisely
but when it comes marketing the game to the masses, they couldn't do a worse job of it

DevelopmentArrested said:
Stranglehold cost 30$ million.
OK?
That's cool?

I cannot see how K2 could take only 20 million. GTA4 was allegedly 100million....GoW2 allegedly 30mil....and since K2 has been in development forever, I can't imagine it much less than 40 mil, personally.

McLovin

Nutter said:
You honestly believe that? Jesus man :lol
I expect big numbers for march.. more commercials, word of mouth(because the game is awesome), good numbers for 2 days of sales imo.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
FateBreaker said:
OK?
That's cool?

I cannot see how K2 could take only 20 million. GTA4 was allegedly 100million....GoW2 allegedly 30mil....and since K2 has been in development forever, I can't imagine it much less than 40 mil, personally.

I thought they had a huge team working on KZ2. Dev costs musta been crazy but they probably skimped on the advertising. Nice one Sony. :lol

If it's true they didn't advertise the game then the game is probably even more fucked for March.

FateBreaker said:
OK?
That's cool?

You laughed at 20 and now have moved the bar to 40? Being in development forever means the costs would be higher. Do a little research and you'll see that it easily crossed the 20$ million mark so care to edit your original post or?

It is true that they definitely saved money on advertising... or lack thereof.

AniHawk

McLovin said:
You honestly believe that? Jesus man :lol
I expect big numbers for march.. more commercials, word of mouth(because the game is awesome), good numbers for 2 days of sales imo.

Anecdotal evidence says sales died almost right away.

Kusagari

viciouskillersquirrel said:
So does Halo. Are you seriously comparing Killzone 2 to CoD and Halo?

CoD was not that big until 4. 4 just had amazing legs and word of mouth. Killzone could have the same. It was not as hyped as people act like. It was hyped on GAF that's it.

cryptic

Gaborn said:

This game will probably benefit the most from word of mouth and I don't think it's fair to make an assessment on how it's fared in that regard based on 2 days of sales data.

Top Bottom