• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2009

Vinci

Danish
markatisu said:
It also does not explain how Wii Play and Wii Fit are selling at virtually 1:1 with Wii which makes that price tag for a Wii $400

Though I guess the Nintendo is recession proof explanation would take care of that

Casuals have money?

theBishop

Banned
Pureauthor said:
No wonder you start crying whenever sales get brought up then.

The notion that gamers should feel bad about sales when the company doesn't (which we know isn't true, but i didn't post it), is insane. I don't see how you can say otherwise.

theBishop said:
The notion that gamers should feel bad about sales when the company doesn't (which we know isn't true, but i didn't post it), is insane. I don't see how you can say otherwise.
Well, naturally not all or even most gamers care about sales numbers, but I hope you aren't trying to say that there aren't Sony fans who do, because if so, have I got a thread for you to read!

Wait, it's actually this one. Fuck.

donny2112

BishopLamont said:
Precedents donny. Many games chart for two days and disappear the next month.

Not for two days. Most games have at least five days, as the normal release date is on a Tuesday. I'm also not thinking of any that sold significantly well (I consider 300K in February "signficantly well") with that short week and then fell off the next month. I know there's Little Big Planet, but the second month there was November and the threshold gets raised across the board in November.

BishopLamont said:
Hardcore games drop, it's not abnormal.

Definitely. I have zero expectation of it making a Top 10 in April.

BishopLamont said:
So what if it's a FPS, Resistance 2 was as well. Who cares if it's exclusive, MGS4 was too.

Resistance 2? Meh. The first mainly did well since it was a launch game, and its second month was a December. That's even worse for cracking the Top 10 than November.
MGS4? If MGS4 had had two days in May to sell and then all of June, I think it would've made the Top 10 each month.

BishopLamont said:
I don't know why KZ2 is exempted from these conditions.

It's not. If it had been released on a Tuesday instead of a Friday, I'd have a harder time believing it'd be in the Top 10 in March. It's unusually short availability time in February is a good part of why I think it should make the Top 10 in March.

Think of it like this. Killzone 2 sold 323K in two days. If it had been released on a Tuesday instead of a Friday, how much do you think it would've sold in the rest of the week? That "rest of the week" is now in another month that also happens to be a five-week month.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
theBishop said:

why are you in the npd thread you dumb fuck

Slurmer

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
Well, naturally not all or even most gamers care about sales numbers, but I hope you aren't trying to say that there aren't Sony fans who do, because if so, have I got a thread for you to read!

Most of the people in this thread that appear to be overly passionate about sales don't come off as Sony fans:D

theBishop

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:

I'm not saying there aren't Sony fans wrapped up in this silliness. Plagiarize said he "felt bad for sony fans" (presumably) because they have to put up with GAF-invented e-shame over sales when Sony Corp doesn't care themselves.

I don't think the premise is 100% correct, but thinking about it makes my eyes cross.

jibblypop

Banned
360 sales are definitely showing that they are now firmly entrenched ahead of ps3 as the strong second place console. The numbers are too consistent to be considered a fluke by anyone.

NPD said:

but seriously, it's hard to even think about that when seeing that number above.... wii.. in February?! oh man. Those sales are crazy.

DeeVoc

Neo Member
I'm not sure how you can downplay the ps3 being down YoY during the month of a major release. If this had happened on the 360 with a premiere exlcusive the gifs and responses would be absurd.

Yes, it was only 2 days, and yes it's just slightly down YoY, but still down nonetheless. I don't think either of those facts allows it to be completely written off. Combined with the dismal news surrounding Sony Ericsson right now shareholders can't be thrilled.

theBishop said:
I'm not saying there aren't Sony fans wrapped up in this silliness. Plagiarize said he "felt bad for sony fans" (presumably) because they have to put up with GAF-invented e-shame over sales when Sony Corp doesn't care themselves.

I don't think the premise is 100% correct, but thinking about it makes my eyes cross.

Gamers that have a PS3 want the install base to be as big as possible so there are more games made for it and devs will be willing to push the PS3 with the games they do make. The only way to increase sales is a price cut.

Sony wants to maximize profits or minimize losses. In the present circumstances that means no price cut.

See the conflict?

Slurmer said:
Most of the people in this thread that appear to be overly passionate about sales don't come off as Sony fans:D
That's because most of the people who did have either been banned or beaten down by reality.

Barrett2

DeeVoc said:
I'm not sure how you can downplay the ps3 being down YoY during the month of a major release. If this had happened on the 360 with a premiere exlcusive the gifs and responses would be absurd.

Yes, it was only 2 days, and yes it's just slightly down YoY, but still down nonetheless. I don't think either of those facts allows it to be completely written off. Combined with the dismal news surrounding Sony Ericsson right now shareholders can't be thrilled.

This to me is a big point that PS3 defenders seem to miss.

Yeah, sure, the PS3 is selling ok despite its high price. But so what? Its still the only current gen console DOWN year over year, in the month of a premiere & exclusive FPS. Its almost like the PS3 is still two price cuts behind. They need a price cut to achieve parity, then they would need another price cut to start doing better compared to the 360. Financially the PS3 is just screwed. Even if they do get it down to $199 in a few years; what does it matter, by that time the next XBOX and next Wii will be released, and the PS3 will face even more pressure.

I wonder how much the price drop rumors are hurting Sony? At this point they better just do it so people will quit waiting on it. If they weren't planning on cutting the price... then they better at least cut it 20 bucks or something just to get people to quit waiting on it.

lawblob said:
This to me is a big point that PS3 defenders seem to miss.

Yeah, sure, the PS3 is selling ok despite its high price. But so what? Its still the only current gen console DOWN year over year, in the month of a premiere & exclusive FPS. Its almost like the PS3 is still two price cuts behind. They need a price cut to achieve parity, then they would need another price cut to start doing better compared to the 360. Financially the PS3 is just screwed. Even if they do get it down to $199 in a few years; what does it matter, by that time the next XBOX and next Wii will be released, and the PS3 will face even more pressure.

Like the first xbox the sony can not wait for the next gen to drop this brick. Sad but it happens. I still love my ps3. lets hope the ps4 redeems sony :D

theBishop

Banned
lowlylowlycook said:
Gamers that have a PS3 want the install base to be as big as possible so there are more games made for it and devs will be willing to push the PS3 with the games they do make. The only way to increase sales is a price cut.

Sony wants to maximize profits or minimize losses. In the present circumstances that means no price cut.

See the conflict?

Oh really?! HOLY CRAP! I never thought about it that way. Oh shit... Sony better start selling systems or there won't be any games.... damn why didn't anyone tell me this before?

:|

I don't know many PS3 owners worried about a lack of games for the foreseeable future. <listwars omitted>

Kunan

manueldelalas said:
Wow @ Wii and DS.
The 360 had nice numbers too.
Ouch PS3 and K2. I remember when LBP launched, it was supposed to have really long legs, and coincidentally, it had 3 days of NPD, and next month it vanished.

And I don't know why people think K2 is over a million now. Remember last year MGS4 barely sold a million in the USA. I predict K2 will not be in the top 20 next month.

Also to the question of why the Wii is selling, see the software charts; Wii Fit, Wii Play and Mario Kart.
I thought that GAF had finally got rid of the ridiculous assumption that top 10 = everything? Wii games have been selling well without entering the top 10. Halo 3 has added another 2 million to its sales,yet we haven't seen it on the top ten again, have we? Don't be so naive. LBP didn't chart in the top ten the next month, but continued to move hundreds of thousands of copies that month despite that. Crazy, huh?

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=21509 LBP moved another 141k in November in NA alone

http://www.gamasutra.com/news/originals/?story=21937 Then it moved another 255k in NA alone in December, MORE than in October!

raYne said:
Oct:

Nov:

Dec:

Is it?
Lol you're just too funny. The worst part is that you can get people to believe you:

PhoenixDark said:
Quit encouraging him.

Loudninja said:
Nov it sold 141k
December sold 255k

It sold more in December than it did at launch even though it was not in the top 10.
Finally someone who knows something! Funnily enough, this post came before PhoenixDark's above.

I'm not saying LBP's sales were amazing. I'm just shocked after last year's acceptance by GAF that a lot of shit goes down outside the top ten, that people are back to their old dumbass ways. If it didn't, how would Boom Blox have sold over 450k ww in a little over 2 months after starting with only 60k the first month? Not to mention the fact that it continued to sell at a consistent burn throughout the year? http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3169056

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Stoney Mason said:
10 year life cycle FTW!
Every damn generation should last longer. If not 10 years, at least close. It won't happen, but it should.
/rant

Barrett2

thewhiterabbit said:
Like the first xbox the sony can not wait for the next gen to drop this brick. Sad but it happens. I still love my ps3. lets hope the ps4 redeems sony :D

Pretty much. PS3 defenders want to make their arguments in a vacuum that ignores the fact that we are basically halfway finished with this console cycle already. These companies have a very limited window in which to squeeze profits from their products, and Sony's bumbling of the PS3 has already shrunken their window of opportunity beyond the point of no return in the US market. For Christ's sake, its the only system DOWN year over year. Sony is basically screwed with the PS3 regardless of what they do. But really, they have no one to blame but themselves, entering the format war with Blu-Ray and launching a $600 albatros two years ago was just horrifically stupid, and they are nowhere near done paying the price for that.

theBishop said:
Oh really?! HOLY CRAP! I never thought about it that way. Oh shit... Sony better start selling systems or there won't be any games.... damn why didn't anyone tell me this before?

:|

I don't know many PS3 owners worried about a lack of games for the foreseeable future. <listwars omitted>

The freaking 360 of all things has about 10x the number of rpgs as the PS3, for one example.

Jocchan said:
Every damn generation should last longer. If not 10 years, at least close. It won't happen, but it should.
/rant

If by last 10 years you mean put out the next console 5 or 6 years into that and attempt to support both for a couple of years and then just leave it up to 3rd parties to do things like yearly iterations of Madden and Guitar Hero and such then I agree.

Kunan said:
I'm not saying LBP's sales were amazing. I'm just shocked after last year's acceptance by GAF that a lot of shit goes down outside the top ten, that people are back to their old dumbass ways. If it didn't, how would Boom Blox have sold over 450k ww in a little over 2 months after starting with only 60k the first month? Not to mention the fact that it continued to sell at a consistent burn throughout the year? http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3169056
I think the problem here is that you see GAF as some kind of amorphous sentient blob, when in fact it's an internet forum made up of individuals. So while many are quite aware that a lot happens outside the top ten (hiya NiGHTS: JoD!), some will not be.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Stoney Mason said:
If by last 10 years you mean put out the next console 5 or 6 years into that and attempt to support both for a couple of years and then just leave it up to 3rd parties to do things like yearly iterations of Madden and Guitar Hero and such then I agree.
No, I mean put out the next console 7 or 8 years into that, attempt to support both for a year and a half and then just leave it up to 3rd parties later :p

Segata Sanshiro said:
I think the problem here is that you see GAF as some kind of amorphous sentient blob, when in fact it's an internet forum made up of individuals. So while many are quite aware that a lot happens outside the top ten (hiya NiGHTS: JoD!), some will not be.

Well that and launching in Oct. is really the best case scenario for having some legs, given hardware sales in Nov. and Dec.

Vinci

Danish
thewhiterabbit said:
lets hope the ps4 redeems sony :D

I have no animosity towards Sony, but I can't bring myself to care whether the PS4 redeems them or not. I'm a disenfranchised gamer: I have no loyalties to any of these companies. Whichever one brings out a system next-gen that interests me and doesn't cost outside of what I consider reasonable for a gaming system, I'll support it. I've done that since Atari fell and I'm not changing my behavior.

The point being, if Sony doesn't offer me something I want next time around, someone else will - and I'll support that company and leave Sony to their demise (or success, given others do like what they bring to the table).

Jocchan said:
No, I mean put out the next console 7 or 8 years into that, attempt to support both for a year and a half and then just leave it up to 3rd parties later :p

No way do I want generations to last 7 or 8 years on the same tech with that being the only option from a company.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
F#A#Oo said:
PS2 games are still release now...
Yup, see my other post above. I know all PlayStation consoles have lasted about ten years, I was talking about a longer time between the release of newer consoles. I don't feel the need to buy new hardware this often, especially lately.

P90

Stumpokapow said:
blessed are the get the fuck out of the thread if you don't want to talk about sales

To my understanding he was implying to not pile on Sony and Sony fans because what comes around goes around. Quite applicable in this thread.

Kunan

Segata Sanshiro said:
I meant it more as an insult to him saying he's behind the times and really shouldn't be making any statements like that more than anything.

Barrett2

Vinci said:
I have no animosity towards Sony, but I can't bring myself to care whether the PS4 redeems them or not. I'm a disenfranchised gamer: I have no loyalties to any of these companies. Whichever one brings out a system next-gen that interests me and doesn't cost outside of what I consider reasonable for a gaming system, I'll support it. I've done that since Atari fell and I'm not changing my behavior.

The point being, if Sony doesn't offer me something I want next time around, someone else will - and I'll support that company and leave Sony to their demise (or success, given others do like what they bring to the table).

Exactly. I've never understood the mentality of cross-generational loyalty to console makers. I even have a few casual gaming friends who only play stuff like Madden & Guitar Hero, but even then refused to get a 360 because they wanted to wait for PS3; or conversely they refuse to get anything other than a Wii because they've "always been Nintendo fans," even though they hate the Wii lineup and never play it.... and constantly talk about SF4, MGS4, or some other new game I have they are excited about. Brand loyalty is a strange thing.

markatisu

Kunan said:
I thought that GAF had finally got rid of the ridiculous assumption that top 10 = everything? Wii games have been selling well without entering the top 10. Halo 3 has added another 2 million to its sales,yet we haven't seen it on the top ten again, have we? Don't be so naive. LBP didn't chart in the top ten the next month, but continued to move hundreds of thousands of copies that month despite that. Crazy, huh?

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=21509 LBP moved another 141k in November in NA alone

http://www.gamasutra.com/news/originals/?story=21937 Then it moved another 255k in NA alone in December, MORE than in October!

Feb, March and April are not Oct, Nov and Dec in sales terms

EVERYTHING (even the shittiest of the shit) sells more in Nov and Dec

Those standards do not apply when you are talking about the beginning of the year which is generally a slower period

I am not saying that KZ2 wont end up with a lot of sales over time but you are attributing massive legs to a platform which has yet to show massive legs on anything

LBP was touted as one of the PS3's must have games, getting to 700k in 3 months (and 2 of those being the biggest months of the year) is not some triumph

If a big time Wii game or 360 game that was touted the same way had come in at 700k in 3 months there would lols all around

Mrbob

BenjaminBirdie said:
These are the days. They're still saying the same thing, today.

http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/news/ps3-is-going-to-stand-the-test-of-time/

Sounds like it's the highest levels that are resisting any price cutting.

I gotta stop reading these PRs....between Peter Dille and Aaron Greenberg my head is spinning so fast I think it is going to fall off. :lol

Even if a price cut is coming, Sony won't advertise it ahead of time. I still remember what happened with the PS2 price cut form $299 to $199, SCEA denied a price cut was coming the day before it actually occurred. :lol Sony will deny everything till it happens.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Pureauthor said:
I'm just the slightest bit certain that it wasn't Matthew who said that.

Not that the guy it actually is attributed to went out any nicer, but still.
Sorry, I'm not an expert of the early Christian culture.
He could even have shot himself in the foot, for all I know.

Top Bottom