• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2009

szaromir

Banned
Slurmer said:
Most of the people in this thread that appear to be overly passionate about sales don't come off as Sony fans:D
Yet last year 5k differences in favour of PS3 were enough to bring a lot of "the tide is turning" posts written by we know who.

3rdman

Vinci said:
I have no animosity towards Sony, but I can't bring myself to care whether the PS4 redeems them or not. I'm a disenfranchised gamer: I have no loyalties to any of these companies. Whichever one brings out a system next-gen that interests me and doesn't cost outside of what I consider reasonable for a gaming system, I'll support it. I've done that since Atari fell and I'm not changing my behavior.

The point being, if Sony doesn't offer me something I want next time around, someone else will - and I'll support that company and leave Sony to their demise (or success, given others do like what they bring to the table).
Sony may have an even rougher road next gen...MS will launch with a very powerful console with BR playback (or an external player) and since they are on a better schedule than Sony, they're in a more flexible position to choose their launch dates. I can already see it...Launch 2-3 years from now with an announcement of "recession is over, get back in the game"...or something like that. Launch with Halo 4 and it'll be over before it even starts (in the US at least).

Barrett2

Does anyone else find it strange that Wii Fit has sold insane quantity, yet we still hear almost nothing about games incorporating the balance board?

Shouldn't devs be hyping the shit out of this feature?

scitek

Segata Sanshiro said:
I think the problem here is that you see GAF as some kind of amorphous sentient blob, when in fact it's an internet forum made up of individuals. So while many are quite aware that a lot happens outside the top ten (hiya NiGHTS: JoD!), some will not be.

Since you mentioned it, how much has that game sold?

EDIT: Any word on House of the Dead: Overkill's numbers?

markatisu

lawblob said:
Does anyone else find it strange that Wii Fit has sold insane quantity, yet we still hear almost nothing about games incorporating the balance board?

Like everything else Wii devs are missing the boat

The Wii games that use the Balance Board and promote it get sales (below are all US sales)

Shaun White is on its way to 600-700k in the US, Rayman Raving Rabbids TV Party has sold between 300-500k, Jillians Fitness past 500k last month, We Ski sold between 300-500k (cant remember what Namco reported) , and EA has their EA Active package coming in May that looks really good.

Even games like My Fitness Coach (which does NOT use the Balance Board) are moving up the charts.

If more devs would make solid from the ground up games like Shaun White I think they would see the payoff easily.

EDIT: Any word on House of the Dead: Overkill's numbers?

No word, we do not have any numbers outside the Top 10 and HoTD Overkill probably resides somewhere in the Top 30 or off the charts (just like every other light gun game outside of NERF at Christmas or REUC)

Where the hell is the "Top 20" by platform and overall?

Jocchan said:
To be honest, Surfergirl has proved him/herself to be more reliable than, say, Kotaku or the like :lol

Surfergirl is mostly right by stating the extremely obvious. This is a perfect example Killzone 2 development costs have significantly gone up after it's been delayed? Really?

I mean there are examples of good unseen predictions but they are few and far inbetween.

Johann said:
Those ads are actually adware. If you are infected, you'll see them on all of your sites, even it is a site about a nunnery.

You can google for a bunch of remedies. Here is one:

http://aalaap.blogspot.com/2008/10/block-annoying-vimax-ads.html

Ugh. Yeah I have a MAJOR virus on my PC right now. I have to actually get my entire hard-drive swept clean today.

Thank God for Filedropper.

kitch9

Banned
This is another typical GAF NPD thread.....Full of Americans thinking that the US = The world.

It.......doesn't.

The US and UK is MS's strongest markets,whilst the rest range from non-existant to shit to average.

Sony is doing decidedly average in all markets, with some being worse than others due to high price, and high price alone. (US being one of the worst ones relatively speaking.)

It both means they are doing as average as each other worldwide and given one of them is half the price of the other I would figure it should be the lowest price one that thinks they are fucked.

Simple fucking economics......

Vinci

Danish
3rdman said:
Sony may have an even rougher road next gen...MS will launch with a very powerful console with BR playback (or an external player) and since they are on a better schedule than Sony, they're in a more flexible position to choose their launch dates. I can already see it...Launch 2-3 years from now with an announcement of "recession is over, get back in the game"...or something like that. Launch with Halo 4 and it'll be over before it even starts (in the US at least).

And see, I don't care. That's the point. If Sony has a rough road ahead - okay, whatever. Good luck to them. But I'm not going to hold my breath or cry myself to sleep at night worried about whether they're going to pull off the sort of coup next-gen that Nintendo did this time, or if MS is going to own both of them. I supported Sony for two generations in a row without any bearing on the name of the hardware manufacturer.

I think many Sony, MS, and Nintendo fans should follow the same thought process. I'm still just boggled by the fact that people paid $600 for a game system.

raYne

Kunan said:
I thought that GAF had finally got rid of the ridiculous assumption that top 10 = everything? Wii games have been selling well without entering the top 10. Halo 3 has added another 2 million to its sales,yet we haven't seen it on the top ten again, have we? Don't be so naive. LBP didn't chart in the top ten the next month, but continued to move hundreds of thousands of copies that month despite that. Crazy, huh?
-snip-
The original conversation was that it went missing from NPD's. Which it did.

So your point is?

..and again, the game got the Christmas bump. So, using "great third month sales!" is pretty shitty reasoning based on the obvious. Particularly since, for some reason, people are using it as a barometer for possible KZ sales. It's not remotely the same situation.

Interfectum

Gold Member
kitch9 said:
This is another typical GAF NPD thread.....Full of Americans thinking that the US = The world.

It.......doesn't.

:lol @ American bashing

Why don't you man up and name names instead of using such an idiotic blanket statement?

AniHawk said:
So is No More Heroes a PS2 game because it started on the PS2?

I liked TP, but although it incorporated the wiimote well enough, it didn't take full advantage of what it allows you to do. The precedent of Phantom Hourglass makes me excited for what they're going to do with a Zelda game built from the ground up to use the wiimote.

donny2112 said:
So you don't think that it can sell, in days 3-37, a similar amount that it did in days 1-2? Why does that make no sense to me?

No.

We hear this "2 days!" canard all the time when a hyped game underperforms, and it never ends up redeeming itself. See: Metroid Prime 3, LittleBigPlanet. If LBP couldn't do it with its seemingly inevitable legs, how do you expect the notoriously frontloaded hardcore FPS to do the same?

It's an exclusive on the PS3, an FPS that has much hardcore appeal. Of course it's going to sell the bulk of its units in the first few days. It's not impossible that it'll chart next month (my money says it won't), but you're deluded if you think that it'll hit above 300k. I'd be willing to do a tag bet that says it does under 200k for next month.

But guys, I know we like needling Sony fanboys about Killzone sales, but there are a couple of mysteries that haven't seen anywhere near the amount of discussion they deserve:

-why the hell are X360 sales up 44% YoY YTD?
-why the hell did the PS3 version of SFIV do so much better relative to the 360 version than any other major multiplat title we've seen?

donny2112 said:
Those who originally bought the PS3 version thinking they wouldn't care about the expansion pack decided that the expansion was worth it and picked up a 360 along with it

Again, if the boxed copy retail version of GTAIV couldn't move systems, there's no way an expansion could have.

NPD said:
PlayStation 3 187.1K
Xbox 360 188.0K

360 GTA IV 1.85mm
PS3 GTA IV 1.00mm

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=296026

For reference, here's numbers for the month previous:

NPD said:
4. Xbox 360 - 262,000
5. PlayStation 3 - 257,000

http://secondstorygamer.com/2008/04/march-2008-npd-numbers/

Vinci

Danish
kitch9 said:

If we're discussing the NPD ... that does sort of necessitate a one-sided approach to the discussion though ... doesn't it?

Barrett2

Vinci said:
I think many Sony, MS, and Nintendo fans should follow the same thought process. I'm still just boggled by the fact that people paid $600 for a game system.

In fairness to the masses, not very many paid $600 for the console.

Rolf NB

lawblob said:

They're too busy developing games for light bulbs and pencils. Have you seen the distribution numbers for these things lately? For any smart business, those are the way to go.

Aquanox

womfalcs3 said:
I like how people hate on PS3, yet it's performing better than the X360 did at a much higher price point.

Those people are sensationalists who can't think beyond the present, and neglect the past.

When PS3 beats the X360, you hear them say, "X360 is doomed. Oh noes."

When X360 beats the PS3, you hear them say, "PS3 is doomed. It's the Dreamcast."

Remember the Xbox 360 was the underdog in this generation.

The PS3 is far from being a Dreamcast but its marketshare lose to the Xbox 360 compared to the PS2 is astonishing.

I was expecting KZ2 to perform somewhere near MGS4 but even when this only includes 2 days of sales it seems that it won't get close. MS performed a great timing with Halo Wars to steal KZ2 after-launch thunder. Same could be said for RE5 even when it wasn't planned by MS.

I hope Sony isn't pulling a 2007 once again and actually has a big franchise to push holidays like God of War 3 or GT5. If not, we're in for another Microsoft dominance, only that this year - unlike 2008 - they would've leaded most of the year.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
kitch9 said:
It both means they are doing as average as each other worldwide and given one of them is half the price of the other I would figure it should be the lowest price one that thinks they are fucked.

Simple fucking economics......
I think you should take your classes again.

Barrett2

markatisu said:
Balance Board in the US is 5.9m
PS3 is ~7m I think

So the streams will cross in the next 4 months probably

I love this number. :lol

I always imagine the Super Scope outselling the Genesis when I read this.

Vinci said:
Enough did though. Some even paid more via eBay. And it was ridiculous.

I pity the fools who paid $2300 on Ebay for a PS3 just so they could play Genji and NBA Live..... one can only imagine the mental anguish they endured trying to justify the splurge. :lol

kitch9

Banned
Interfectum said:
:lol @ American bashing

Why don't you man up and name names instead of using such an idiotic blanket statement?

I didn't mean it to come across as harsh as that....:D

Those dude's do have a tendancy to......Uhm.....forget that other people actually do exist....

Vinci

Danish
kitch9 said:
I didn't mean it to come across as harsh as that....:D

Those dude's do have a tendancy to......Uhm.....forget that other people actually do exist....

And then there's all those people in those other countries - I hear they exist - that actually imagine they factor into any equation whatsoever.

Hmm.

womfalcs3

Banned
Aquanox said:
Remember the Xbox 360 was the underdog in this generation.

The PS3 is far from being a Dreamcast but its marketshare lose to the Xbox 360 compared to the PS2 is astonishing.

You don't think cutting price from 400 dollars to 200 dollars over the next 2-3 years will change the trend (Within that time span I mean; not after.)?

Kunan said:
I thought that GAF had finally got rid of the ridiculous assumption that top 10 = everything? Wii games have been selling well without entering the top 10. Halo 3 has added another 2 million to its sales,yet we haven't seen it on the top ten again, have we? Don't be so naive. LBP didn't chart in the top ten the next month, but continued to move hundreds of thousands of copies that month despite that. Crazy, huh?

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=21509 LBP moved another 141k in November in NA alone

http://www.gamasutra.com/news/originals/?story=21937 Then it moved another 255k in NA alone in December, MORE than in October!

Lol you're just too funny. The worst part is that you can get people to believe you:

Quit encouraging him.

Finally someone who knows something! Funnily enough, this post came before PhoenixDark's above.

I'm not saying LBP's sales were amazing. I'm just shocked after last year's acceptance by GAF that a lot of shit goes down outside the top ten, that people are back to their old dumbass ways. If it didn't, how would Boom Blox have sold over 450k ww in a little over 2 months after starting with only 60k the first month? Not to mention the fact that it continued to sell at a consistent burn throughout the year? http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3169056

His point about LBP "vanishing" was exaggerated, but the overall point was that the game was supposed to be huge and instead fizzled and disappeared. Celebrating a largely promoted game for barely selling more than 200k in December misses the point, and certainly doesn't destroy my argument. They weren't impressive numbers compared to the obscene hypes and hopes of a small few.

I think the same thing is happening with KZ2 to a lesser degree. As a dark FPS it's going to sell, but clearly it's not the world shattering system selling Halo killer it was made out to be. You can't be a "Halo killer" if you're not even on Gears of War's level. I'm not commenting on the quality of the game, but on people's interest (and lack thereof) in it. Feb PS3 sales went down compared to last month. At the end of the day the game isn't selling systems

[Nintex]

kitch9 said:
Sony is doing decidedly average in all markets, with some being worse than others due to high price, and high price alone. (US being one of the worst ones relatively speaking.)
I could post a giant red logo of Nintendo, that is the reason why Sony is currently selling on par or perhaps worse than MS in Europe.

Said gaming company has taken over store shelves and most of the gaming market for the first time ever. SEGA always was ahead of Nintendo in Europe, the MegaDrive sold gangbusters here, hence why Sonic is still very popular. Enter Sony, who took most of the European market untill they got their asses handed to them on a platter by the Wii and NoE. Which didn't bother to fix their supply issues untill late 2008!

While people claiming that the PS3 is redeemed as of this moment because of a higher price point are kinda missing the point, it does mean that the PS3 has much more room to drop the price in the future, which probably means a longer lifespan (lol 10 year cycle) and greater sales in the long run.

Azrael

lowlylowlycook said:
Gamers that have a PS3 want the install base to be as big as possible so there are more games made for it

The PS3 versions of multiplatform games are selling well enough that it's in the best interests of publishers to release PS3 ports of their games. A price cut will boost sales but the effect on game releases will be negligible.

and devs will be willing to push the PS3 with the games they do make.

If developers were going to push the PS3 harder they'd already be doing it. Developers pushed the Xbox 1 despite its small userbase relative t the PS3.

Vinci

Danish
Amibguous Cad said:
While people claiming that the PS3 is redeemed as of this moment because of a higher price point are kinda missing the point, it does mean that the PS3 has much more room to drop the price in the future, which probably means a longer lifespan (lol 10 year cycle) and greater sales in the long run.

Again: This isn't true. The PS3 is receiving these 3rd party games based on the 360's existence. If Microsoft launches their next console first again, most 3rd parties will jump to develop for it - and if the differences between their system and the PS3 are big enough to make porting too difficult to bother with, the PS3's support will dwindle long before it turns 7.

womfalcs3 said:
You don't think cutting price from 400 dollars to 200 dollars over the next 2-3 years will change the trend (Within that time span I mean. Not after.)?

If the PS3 doesn't hit $200 before 2011 or 2012, I don't think it will change things that substantially because their competition will have dropped below that earlier. The price of the PS3 will likely be an issue throughout this entire generation.

kitch9

Banned
Jocchan said:
I think you should take your classes again.

Awesome.....

How many units did MS and Sony sell worldwide last year?

10.8 million shipped each.... Worldwide. Now consider the fact the 360 is half the price of the PS3 and that leads me to think that demand for the 360 is less so they have to sell at a lower price.

Therefore MS are more fucked than their competition as their competition can lower the price if they so fucking wish to increase demand. MS have fewer options in this department as they are already cheap.

Simple economics.....

DieH@rd

Banned
i just came here to post this...

reggie_i_dunno.jpg

markatisu

kitch9 said:
Awesome.....

10.8 million shipped each.... Worldwide. Now consider the fact the 360 is half the price of the PS3 and that leads me to think that demand for the 360 is less so they have to sell at a lower price.

Therefore MS are more fucked than their competition as their competition can lower the price if they so fucking wish to increase demand. MS have fewer options in this department as they are already cheap.

Simple economics.....

360 launched a year ahead and had the market to themselves, 360 got cheaper to make therefore making price cut easier to afford

Sony is not in the same position which is why they wont lower the price

360 did not have to lower the price to compete with the PS3, they had to lower it to stay competitive with the Wii (or did we all miss the fact that the big price drop came with a renewed focus on the Arcade units)

kitch9

Banned
[Nintex] said:
I could post a giant red logo of Nintendo, that is the reason why Sony is currently selling on par or perhaps worse than MS in Europe.

Said gaming company has taken over store shelves and most of the gaming market for the first time ever. SEGA always was ahead of Nintendo in Europe, the MegaDrive sold gangbusters here, hence why Sonic is still very popular. Enter Sony, who took most of the European market untill they got their asses handed to them on a platter by the Wii and NoE. Which didn't bother to fix their supply issues untill late 2008!

Nintendo are astonishing. My 60 year old mother in law has a Wii FFS. I mean WTF is that about?

Somebody over at Ninty is a genious.

Barrett2

kitch9 said:
Awesome.....

Simple economics.....

Wut?

How about some simple physics, if I drop two apples from a window, they both fall at the same rate. *mind blown*

Unless you know for a fact that the cost margins are better for PS3 at $400 relative to the 360 at $199, you are really no more intelligent than Spywolf claiming KZ2 is already profitable because it sold 300,000 units x $60.

womfalcs3

Banned
Felix Lighter said:
If the PS3 doesn't hit $200 before 2011 or 2012, I don't think it will change things that substantially because their competition will have dropped below that earlier. The price of the PS3 will likely be an issue throughout this entire generation.

The PS3 was outselling the X360 in the US a year ago. When although the price difference wasn't as large as it is now, it was significant.

That showed that it doesn't need to be cheaper or at the same price. It just needed to be not as more expensive as it is now.

If Sony cuts price to $300 this year, that would work for the moment to compete with the 200 dollar X360 (and 300-dollar Pro).

kitch9

Banned
markatisu said:
360 launched a year ahead and had the market to themselves, 360 got cheaper to make therefore making price cut easier to afford

Sony is not in the same position which is why they wont lower the price

360 did not have to lower the price to compete with the PS3, they had to lower it to stay competitive with the Wii (or did we all miss the fact that the big price drop came with a renewed focus on the Arcade units)

It did well as the price cut only made them competitive with the PS3 looking at the sales figures..... So they are both DOOOMMMED I tell ya.....

Sony will probably move once the exchange rates sort themselves out, or they may not. They WILL drop the price sooner or later, and a forum full of economic graduate wannabies ain't gonna speed up when it will happen and Sony will do it when it makes business sense to do it....

womfalcs3

Banned
Vinci said:
What would MS do in response to this?

You think they'll make the X360 cost nearly as much as a PS2 4 years after its launch (in response to a Sony cut)? 100 dollars cheaper than a Wii?

kitch9

Banned
lawblob said:
Wut?

How about some simple physics, if I drop two apples from a window, they both fall at the same rate. *mind blown*

Unless you know for a fact that the cost margins are better for PS3 at $400 relative to the 360 at $199, you are really no more intelligent than Spywolf claiming KZ2 is already profitable because it sold 300,000 units x $60.

Where are people discussing profit margins? I thought we were discussing units?

kitch9 said:
It did well as the price cut only made them competitive with the PS3 looking at the sales figures..... So they are both DOOOMMMED I tell ya.....

Sony will probably move once the exchange rates sort themselves out, or they may not. They WILL drop the price sooner or later, and a forum full of economic graduate wannabies ain't gonna speed up when it will happen and Sony will do it when it makes business sense to do it....

By the time 'the exchange rates sort themselves out', the focus would be on the next generation of consoles.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
kitch9 said:
Simple economics.....

Economists told us just a year ago that the US was in great shape. You have to look at recent data. The PS3 has now posted 4 consecutive months of YoY declines (although the rate of decline has eased up a bit). The 360 has posted YoY growth during those same months. "Simple economics" would suggest that the PS3 has hit a wall here in the US. The uptake of the 360 over the PS3 has accelerated.

Nocebo

Azrael said:
The PS3 versions of multiplatform games are selling well enough that it's in the best interests of publishers to release PS3 ports of their games. A price cut will boost sales but the effect on game releases will be negligible.
I wonder if the effect on game releases will stay negligible. There does seem to be a shift going on. Games that would normally be exclusives on a playstation machine are turning into multiplat or going exclusive on a different console. Though cases of the latter are few.
Worst case scenario: The multiplat situation could affect the ps3 in a bad way. The need to own a more expensive ps3 goes down. Sales could decline and ultimately creating a multiplat title will not be worth it.
Of course that's not happening but it could if things don't get any better and when sony doesn't come up with something good for next gen.

Top Bottom