• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for June 2015 [Up2: Batman, Splatoon]

So has anyone worked out a general percentage that digital sales adds to physical (regional or worldwide) for each platform on average? Just an idea would be great.

Also glad to see that splatoon moved Wii U hardware, as hopefully Nintendo will get the message that new IPs can be successful.

Ps4 should surpass PS3, but Vita drags Sony down significantly. Sony sold at least 160 million units of hardware last gen. This gen their ceiling is 130 million units. Nintendo sold 250 million units of hardware last gen, their ceiling is 80 million units this gen. MS sold 90 million units of hardware last gen (roughly), their ceiling is 50 million units this gen.

Total hardware sales dont tell everything though

SCE financial results for FY2008:
Revenue:: ¥1,053.1 trillion
Operating income: -¥58.5 billion
Hw shipped: 32.08 million

SCE financial results for FY2014
Revenue: ¥1.388 trillion
Operating Income: +¥48 billion
Hw shipped: 21.4 million

They are selling way less hw but still the division is making substantially more revenue.

panda-zebra

This, I disagree with simply because the Xbox deals were the week Batman released. The deals existed because of the PS4 Batman bundles. If there were no Batman bundles at all, there wouldn't have been any reason for Microsoft to have any of those deals. The Xbox One deals were simply to counter the PS4 bundle.

And these deals don't come for free - discounts, additional soft bundling, the trade-ins, they all eat into the bottom line.

Sony is focusing this gen more about profitability more then any other gen so i will not be suprised if PS4 don't get a price cut this years.
I think they better do a temporary price cut in Holiday then a permanent price cut

In a completely TFMA way, to pick a nice round figure of say $50 - if Sony is seeing $50 more profit per unit on hardware sales by holding firm... that multiplied by, for example, this months ~360k units, it's far from trivial, in fact it's the kind of money it takes to produce a half decent game.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

They are selling way less hw but still the division is making substantially more revenue.

And that is all that matters in the end for us gamers to be "concerned" about.

crinale

Sad truth but this may justify Sony abandoning handheld. I absolutely loved PSP (and Vita too) but they weren't doing Sony any good from financial standpoint.

Really strong console sales this month. To a point where the stealth concern troll posts and comparisons to the anomaly of generation 7 will be kept to a minimum by Nintendo fans this month. I expect this thread to be shorter than usual.

ethomaz

Banned
I was thinking now.
At 20.2m announced PS4 was flat or a bit up YoY for the year with US being down YoY.
Now US is flat.

So maybe I can try to speculate the lifetime sales for PS4.

- 10m announce at first week of August 2014.
- 4.2m for 2013.

So if the trend is right and PS4 is tracking WW flat/up YoY.

PS4 will be over 24m sold before end of July.

Crazy.

ethomaz

Banned
I was thinking now.
At 20.2m announced PS4 was flat or a bit up YoY for the year with US being down YoY.
Now US is flat.

So maybe I can try to speculate the lifetime sales for PS4.

- 10m announce at first week of August 2014.
- 4.2m for 2013.

So if the trend is right and PS4 is tracking WW flat/up YoY.

PS4 will be over 24m sold before end of July.

Crazy.

Square2015

Updated so easier to read.
Went with the 70k WiiU 365k PS4 numbers posted here FYI
ZIz7qkS.png

Wait what? Are you saying PS4 will not surpass PS3 hardware shipments?
The japanese market is completely gone. and, well if you look at the same time frame, the ps4 had a tremendous start, but it is starting to trail behind the ps3 in the states. for the last three months, it is trailing the ps3's second year according to npd.

January, 2nd year
PS3: 269k
PS4: 194k

February, 2nd year
PS3: 280k
PS4: 340k

March, 2nd year
PS3: 257k
PS4: 336k

April, 2nd year
PS3: 187k
PS4: 174k?

May, 2nd year
PS3: 208k
PS4:150k?

and this month

June, 2nd Year
PS3: 405k
PS4: 374k

correct these stats if any of them are wrong, i miss npd of old. their console sales were a lot clearer then

tbf, the contraction was massive and scary, but it looks to have stabilized at a new norm. & even with the smaller market, Ninty and Sony have profitable game divisions, not sure about MS.

Hardware may be down, but people are missing one big thing.

This Gen there is no "non-gamer" reasons to buy a console.

Last Gen PS3 was bought as a Blu-Ray/Netflix machine because in 2008 most TVs and even Blu-ray players did not have Smart function.

And of course MANY people bought a PS2 as a DVD player, for almost 2 years the PS2 was cheaper than most DVD players on the market.

PS1 functioned as a top notch CD player, and back in 1995 CD players were still a luxury (Cassette were still the primary audio median)

Jigorath

Banned
In June 2008 the PS3 had a little known game called Metal Gear Solid IV coming out. I'm not surprised it's higher than PS4's numbers this month.

As I expected, XBO is closer to PS4 than many expected. Less than 70K.

IIRC, you did some kinda bet, right?

New SKU helped it maintain some of the gap created by the Batman bundle.

There were probably quite of few current XB1 owners who traded in their old console for the 1 TB version, I doubt many people were specifically waiting on the 1TB before they upgraded from GEN7.

The japanese market is completely gone. and, well if you look at the same time frame, the ps4 had a tremendous start, but it is starting to trail behind the ps3 in the states. for the last three months, it is trailing the ps3's second year according to npd.

January, 2nd year
PS3: 269k
PS4: 194k

February, 2nd year
PS3: 280k
PS4: 340k

March, 2nd year
PS3: 257k
PS4: 336k

April, 2nd year
PS3: 187k
PS4: 174k?

May, 2nd year
PS3: 208k
PS4:150k?

and this month

June, 2nd Year
PS3: 405k
PS4: 374k

correct these stats if any of them are wrong, i miss npd of old. their console sales were a lot clearer then

The Japanese sales can be made up from other places .
For eg they can be made up from the USA alone .

Also yes it trailing PS3 but the year in not done yet and Sony has not done a price drop.

Compare to PS3 Sony must be loving what is going on with PS4 so far.
Profit from PS+ , bigger install base means more profit from software , profit from hardware .
Compare to PS3 where they were losing billions just trying to move hardware .

Bgamer90

Banned
So with the new 1TB model coming, maybe a $50 price cut on any existing bundles so they can keep the new 1TB bundle at $400?

I think we'll see a $50 cut on all SKUs soon.

Think we'll see 500 GB Xbox One at $299 and 1 TB at $349 with the latter eventually being the standard hard drive size and the 500 GB model getting phased out some time in 2016.

NoPiece

Last Gen PS3 was bought as a Blu-Ray/Netflix machine because in 2008 most TVs and even Blu-ray players did not have Smart function.

And of course MANY people bought a PS2 as a DVD player, for almost 2 years the PS2 was cheaper than most DVD players on the market.

PS1 functioned as a top notch CD player, and back in 1995 CD players were still a luxury (Cassette were still the primary audio median)

I think it is a good point about the PS2 and PS3 having appeal beyond games, but PSX wasn't selling as a CD player. CDs were already mainstream, and passed cassettes in sales in 1992. CD players were cheap, and connected to people's stereos which was much better connecting to a CRTs with lousy built in speakers, so not a good alternative to a stereo, or even a boom box.

Sorc3r3r

On a world scale wouldn't be counterproductive an usa price cut?

In pal lands sony has no competition, sacrificing the profits they make with a price cut aimed to keep a simbolic lead in usa does not make much sense to me.

I'm missing something?

EGM1966

On a world scale wouldn't be counterproductive an usa price cut?

In pal lands sony has no competition, sacrificing the profits they make with a price cut aimed to keep a simbolic lead in usa does not make much sense to me.

I'm missing something?
They can cut price in U.S if the decide. It can be regional.

Sony needs to drop the price on ps4. I want to see how much damage they can do at $299 and how long will it take ms to react to that.

I agree...$299 was the magic price point for the PS3 and it will be for the PS4. They definitely need to do it for Nov-Dec and maybe raise it back up to $350 after. There where wayyyyy too many PS4's sitting on shelves last holiday season bc there weren't any great deals they need to make it clear this time.

Klart

I agree...$299 was the magic price point for the PS3 and it will be for the PS4. They definitely need to do it for Nov-Dec and maybe raise it back up to $350 after. There where wayyyyy too many PS4's sitting on shelves last holiday season bc there weren't any great deals they need to make it clear this time.

Don't agree. MS is doing everything they can & they still lose.

mrpeabody

Nonsense, the Xbox One lets you watch football.

Just wanted to pop in and say that I really appreciate your charts and info Terry Travis. On my last laptop, I used to save your graphs as something to refer to when making comments, before it was stolen. Thank you! :)

Don't agree. MS is doing everything they can & they still lose.

If the price drop doesn't happen by Sony this holiday MS will win Nov-Dec again no doubt in my mind. The exclusive line up is "better" and I can almost guarantee another temporary price drop by MS. Yeah Sony will still be in overall lead but no need to get slaughtered over the holiday.

Loudninja

If the price drop doesn't happen by Sony this holiday MS will win Nov-Dec again no doubt in my mind. The exclusive line up is "better" and I can almost guarantee another temporary price drop by MS. Yeah Sony will still be in overall lead but no need to get slaughtered over the holiday.
The multiplaform games are much bigger then anything MS or Sony will have in those months.

Hydrargyrus

Sony is going to make a price cut for sure. Just watching the estimates for sales and operating income you could see it clearly.

EGM1966

No way it's happening, they're not stupid, l can't even imagin the hate they'll get in rotw
Mass shoppers are generally unaware of prices outside their country. Provided the drop was modest - and with current sales it's unlikely to be anything but modest - they could carry it.

A larger price cut would require some level of matching WW but I can't see a large price cut.

They could shave $25 to $50 dollars in U.S. and continue with bundles to create appearance of even bigger cut.

Plenty of products don't have global price parity and it rarely hurts sales. Take UK - they might see a tiny drop from the 0.5% who'd be aware of US price cut but majority would be oblivious.

As ever people on GAF assume average consumer tracks or is way more aware of this than in reality.

Sony is not desperate as they have great partnerships with 3rd party deals for holiday to promote which is bigger than first party content of MS. Also sony is selling still great and outselling XB1 at higher price, so they dont have to drop price instead they can do heavy bundling for their marketing deals which is more than enough ($349 drop for BF bundle is enough which was $399 last year).

I expect them to drop price to $299 with the launch of Project morpheus.

I'm missing something?

Again, price of products aren't solely reliant on competition. Even when there's no competition, if it's a luxury item (and it is), you want to find the price that strikes the best balance between number of sales and profit per sale.

I mean, by the logic that they shouldn't drop price because they have no competition, why shouldn't they increase the price if they have no competition? The answer is obvious: they would sell fewer units at a higher price point, and make less profit overall. There obviously is a limit to how far they can go in the other direction, but if they can increase their total sales significantly at the cost of a relatively minor percentage of their profit margin per sale, they're quite likely to do so.

To put it another way: it's better to sell 200,000,000 units at $50 profit per unit than 50,000,000 units at $100 profit per unit.

Sony is not desperate as they have great partnerships with 3rd party deals for holiday to promote which is bigger than first party content of MS. Also sony is selling still great and outselling XB1 at higher price, so they dont have to drop price instead they can do heavy bundling for their marketing deals which is more than enough ($349 drop for BF bundle is enough which was $399 last year).

I expect them to drop price to $299 with the launch of Project morpheus.

I think that was a good move by Sony and the only thing that will keep them in contention this holiday. They need good options this holiday too though. A basic sku @ $299 and & $349 sku as u mentioned bundled with something would make a better statement.

I do agree they go $299 once morpheus drops.

stryke

Can't believe it makes sense to someone to actually type this.

Top Bottom