• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for June 2015 [Up2: Batman, Splatoon]

Larogue

Updated so easier to read.
Went with the 70k WiiU 365k PS4 numbers posted here FYI
Hlsgr7r.png

Awesome chart. I expect wider (in term of months) and bigger gap for the X1 this Holiday, cause its got the best line up of exclusives it can ever get this year.

Zertez

Insane legs on GTA5. It keeps going month after month. I expect it to drop out and it remains around number 5 each month. Sales are well deserved, I just didnt think it would keep selling this long.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
And considering that circus and fiasco on message boards that went around that they seem to be selling fine.

It did not work out well for them when they raised it back up. And only took 2 weeks to make it permanently reduced.

So I do not get the premise of this. If you reduce tech that ages, it stays reduced. Do not play games with consumers to stop the bleeding.

The Japanese sales can be made up from other places .
For eg they can be made up from the USA alone .

Also yes it trailing PS3 but the year in not done yet and Sony has not done a price drop.

Compare to PS3 Sony must be loving what is going on with PS4 so far.
Profit from PS+ , bigger install base means more profit from software , profit from hardware .
Compare to PS3 where they were losing billions just trying to move hardware .
thats great, still might not sell as much. they cant afford to do those price drops like they did in the past, and the numbers right now are about the same if not getting lower in the US compared the ps3.

I wasnt comparing financials, i was comparing sales so right now its not looking too hot to pass the ps3 when its all said and done. i do think the holidays will be stronger for it though.

thats great, still might not sell as much. they cant afford to do those price drops like they did in the past, and the numbers right now are about the same if not getting lower in the US compared the ps3.

I wasnt comparing financials, i was comparing sales so right now its not looking too hot to pass the ps3 when its all said and done. i do think the holidays will be stronger for it though.

PS4 will trash PS3 during holidays in US. Even if PS4 sales stay flat it will sell substantially more during holiday season than PS3 did in 2008. Holidays take bigger part of the yearly sales nowadays in US than in the past so yearly comparisons are a lot more meaningful than monthly comparisons.

Edit.
PS3 2008
October 190k
November 378k
Decmeber 726k

PS4 last year
October 297k
November 840k
December 1065k

Splatoon did very well.

What are the WW numbers looking like? I kind of laughed off claims of 2m worldwide when they were brought up in the PAL thread, but how close are we now?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Insane legs on GTA5. It keeps going month after month. I expect it to drop out and it remains around number 5 each month. Sales are well deserved, I just didnt think it would keep selling this long.

Is there anyone out there at this point that has not played this yet? Goodness. ;p

It is the most well polished and best technical performance of the series, so well deserved indeed.

gimmmick

No offense, but I just don't see what is so hot about Splatoon :\ It's like nintendo fans are desperately trying to hype this game like no other because it's the only game on a dead system.

Good performance from sony and ms. It sure is going to be interesting to see how both consoles perform come holiday season. At this rate, sony won't drop the price of the ps4 till 2016.

No offense, but I just don't see what is so hot about Splatoon :\ It's like nintendo fans are desperately trying to hype this game like no other because it's the only game on a dead system.

Good performance from sony and ms. It sure is going to be interesting to see how both consoles perform come holiday season. At this rate, sony won't drop the price of the ps4 till 2016.

Have you played Splatoon? It's actually a really great game, period.

I have plenty of other games to play on my other consoles, thank you very much. I don't need to hype anything, because I'm not a fanboy.

455k in US
450k in JP (est. with digital)

Its got legs and great word of mouth so 2 million seems viable.

Not bad at all. And you're right, it's got some pretty great legs and WoM.

I guess maybe 50k from the UK? Add another 50 to 100k from mainland? Or is that too low? Either way, it's probably safely passed the 1m mark by now.

Not bad at all. And you're right, it's got some pretty great legs and WoM.

I guess maybe 50k from the UK? Add another 50 to 100k from mainland? Or is that too low? Either way, it's probably safely passed the 1m mark by now.

It's definitely passed a million. Nintendo released PR saying as much awhile back.

Edit - Here you go. It has apparently sold over 230k in Europe.

gimmmick

Have you played Splatoon? It's actually a really great game, period.

I have plenty of other games to play on my other consoles, thank you very much. I don't need to hype anything, because I'm not a fanboy.

Yes I have played the game, just couldn't get into it. Original game by all means, but some people are making it out like it was the second coming of halo. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Yes I have played the game, just couldn't get into it. Original game by all means, but some people are making it out like it was the second coming of halo. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

No one is saying that. People are calling it a really fresh, unique take on the shooter genre, which it is, without question.

Busty

Banned
-Warner's sales are up 217% year over year for the first six months, and has the number 1 corporate publisher position so far.

If WB Games are able to retain their position as number one publisher until the end of the year this would represent a major upset IMHO. To think that Warners built their gaming division up slowly with acquisitions like Turbine, Rocksteady and getting the Midway assets (for a bargain price no less) rather than buying up a rival shows how well they've played the corporate 'long game'.

It's weird to think how far Warner Bros have come when they first bought out Monolith Productions over a decade ago.

The question would then become can they do this year in, year out going forward becoming a real player like EA and Ubisoft or is this just an anomaly like the planets aligning just right?

Javin98

Banned
Awesome chart. I expect wider (in term of months) and bigger gap for the X1 this Holiday, cause its got the best line up of exclusives it can ever get this year.
Keep dreaming. Sony got marketing rights to most of the third party games this holiday season and you can bet that they will announce bundles with those games. Exclusives don't sell systems as well as franchises like Call Of Duty and Star Wars Battlefront will be huge because of Episode 7 releasing in December. Some people are so detached from reality when it comes to sales.

C4Lukins

Wow at that 370kish for PS4. I was expecting it to be closer between the super HD twins. Still really healthy numbers for both.

dolemite

Splatoon is doing great. Do we know how many oranges the Arkham Knight sold in total (bundles included)? The numbers appear to fluctuate between 1 and 2 million.

Sad truth but this may justify Sony abandoning handheld. I absolutely loved PSP (and Vita too) but they weren't doing Sony any good from financial standpoint.

It has been said time and time again, Sony gave handheld their best shot and it didnt work out. They are moving on, mobile phones have replaced dedicated handheld gaming

wapplew

One thing for sure, PS4 never pull back to 1M gap after last holiday.
MS did great, the gap ratio getting smaller with more consoles sold. We might be on the brink of turning point soon.

Game Guru

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
MS did great, the gap ratio getting smaller with more consoles sold. We might be on the brink of turning point soon.

How is the gap ratio getting smaller if the PS4 continues to outsell it? About an 81K increase in the last two NPDs. It has been growing again since the holidays.

Didn't it go down to 600K at one point too, or am I misremembering?

Mung

A price drop for PS4 and the gap will grow to 1 million very quickly.

ascii42

How is the gap ratio getting smaller if the PS4 continues to outsell it? About an 81K increase in the last two NPDs.

Didn't it go down to 600K at one point too, or am I misremembering?

The ratio decreases when the PS4 outsells the Xbox One with a smaller ratio than the overall sales ratio.

eerik9000

The gap grew 70k last month and is now around 770k. Could still grow close to 1 million between July and October.

Top Bottom