• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2009

TheGreatDave said:
MGS is a great franchise, one that deserved excitement based on it's past quality. Killzone always seemed forced, and like people were trying to prove its quality. But I'll quit this thread for a bit in case I say something evil.
Yup.

The hype was more based on "Here's a game we can use against 360 fanboys" than "Here's an awesome game."

viciouskillersquirrel said:
I seem to remember there being a lot of Bioshock threads when the game first came out.

There were a lot of GTA threads when that came out too. That's not really annoying. When it starts filtering over to other threads that have nothing to do with said game is when it becomes annoying. When it becomes people trashing every other game in the genre to lift up their game of choice, that is when it becomes annoying. When it's tons of gifs being plastered all over the place. That's when it becomes annoying.

Zen

Banned
Dreams-Visions said:
Damn. KillZone 2 is officially an early-sales flop. Half the sales of a lightly-marketed, average game in Halo Wars? 1/3 the sales of the 360 version of RE? Maybe KZ2 sales will pick up over time...but this does not bode well.

How is selling 619k in barely over a month (So let's say 600k Ish) a flop? I mean sure it's not CoD/Halo numbers, but these aren't bad numbers (in fact they're breaking PS3 records for SCEA/SCEE.

It went something like this:

In the latest Xbox360/PS3 software comparison vid we found that xxx, xxxx, and xxx vs xxxx performed better on the 360

Killzone2.gif Of something exploding.

blah blah Halo blah blah

Killzone2.gif...especially that one with Peter Moore trying to save Master Chief from the flood(lolz).

New Wii game announced.

Killzone2.gif?!?

And that was about the extent of that. It was less about hyping a game up and more about just getting into shit.

Zen said:
How is selling 619k in barely over a month (So let's say 600k Ish) a flop? I mean sure it's not CoD/Halo numbers, but these aren't bad numbers (in fact they're breaking PS3 records for SCEA/SCEE.

To put it into perspective, last March in 2008 the medicore multitplatform game Rainbow Vegas 2 sold 750k in it's first month on 360 alone and that's not counting PS3 sales.

w3stfa11

Quick thoughts.

Shocked at GTA: CTW at only 89K. Was expecting around 200k.
Unhappy, but not completely surprised at MadWorld selling less than 77k (if that figure is true). I would've been content with 100k
Wow at Halo Wars, was expecting 400k at best.
Surprised at all the low hardware numbers. I wonder if Halo Wars might've given the Xbox 360 a sales bump (something that KZ2 didn't do for the PS3).
Very solid numbers for RE5. Capcom should be VERY happy.

pizzaguysrevenge said:
Yup.

The hype was more based on "Here's a game we can use against 360 fanboys" than "Here's an awesome game."

Thats basically what all hype for all games is based on. Multiplatform games very rarely get alot of hype unless they are from mega franchises. They may sell well but they dont get hype. Hype from both sides is usually based on fanboy arguments.

Haint

Only way I could explain away KZ2 is that people just didn't like the art design (filter heavy, colorless, bleak realism) or the control bitching spread like wild fire and scared off at least half the potential audience.

EazyB

Banned
I don't think KZ2 is a good enough game to compete with the likes of Halo or CoD but it deserves just as much sales as something like Gears. I can't help but imagine how well it would've done if they'd have released in on the 360, with Live, and MS publishing/marketing.

I haven't given up on KZ2 and still play it from time to time but I do hope Sony continues to push it and that GG fixes some of the glaring problems with it so that the franchise can become a real contender.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Reallink said:
Only way I could explain away KZ2 is that people just didn't like the art design (filter heavy, colorless, bleak realism) or the control bitching spread like wild fire and scared off at least half the potential audience.

The demo did that for me, no one's opinion here made me go from Strong buy to No Way like the demo.

Fredescu

OldJadedGamer said:
To put it into perspective, last March in 2008 the medicore multitplatform game Rainbow Vegas 2 sold 750k in it's first month on 360 alone and that's not counting PS3 sales.
It wasn't mediocre, and the first one was a very popular.

EazyB said:
I don't think KZ2 is a good enough game to compete with the likes of Halo or CoD but it deserves just as much sales as something like Gears. I can't help but imagine how well it would've done if they'd have released in on the 360, with Live, and MS publishing/marketing.

I haven't given up on KZ2 and still play it from time to time but I do hope Sony continues to push it and that GG fixes some of the glaring problems with it so that the franchise can become a real contender.

I completely agree. I think it is definitely the best shooter franchise Sony could ever want but so many nitpicky annoying things keep it from the upper echelon of greatness. That being said it absolutely should have sold Gears of War numbers at very the least. Maybe once the game was done they realized they had no more money.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
It went something like this:

Killzone2.gif Of something exploding.

Killzone2.gif...especially that one with Peter Moore trying to save Master Chief from the flood(lolz).

Killzone2.gif?!?

And that was about the extent of that. It was less about hyping a game up and more about just getting into shit.

And some of the gifs are quite large.

The worst part was the amount of overly defensive posting. The moment anyone mentioned any game as having really good graphics or perhaps someone saying a game besides KZ2 was their favorite graphically *gasp* they would be met with a barrage of KZ2 gifs even if KZ2 had nothing to do with the discussion.

Any time anyone mentioned the quality of KZ2 or compared it to another shooter they were again met with KZ2 gifs.

In fact i'm not sure this is really gone yet.

I really like KZ2 but it's this sort of posting that has made me avoid the official thread.

My last post on Killzone 2.

From what I played of the demo I thought it was a very good game. If I owned a PS3 I would own it and probably enjoy the hell out of it.

The quality of the game was never in doubt to me to a certain degree after I played it. Its a solid gorgeous game.

The question as it relates to a thread like this is whether it would have any real tangible effect on the sale of PS3 hardware and whether it would be a Gears of War style success for Sony based on the budget and hype the game received pre-release.

AdventureRacing said:
And some of the gifs are quite large.

The worst part was the amount of overly defensive posting. The moment anyone mentioned any game as having really good graphics or perhaps someone saying a game besides KZ2 was their favorite graphically *gasp* they would be met with a barrage of KZ2 gifs even if the KZ2 had nothing to do with the discussion.

Any time anyone mentioned the quality of KZ2 or compared it to another shooter they were again met with KZ2 gifs.

In fact i'm not sure this is really gone yet.

I really like KZ2 but it's this sort of posting that has made me avoid the official thread.

Funny enough the OT is probably the only place I haven't seen KZ2 gifs.

RE is a damned beast.

Wonder how it will do next month, staying in the top ten even for just the 360 version would be wonderful for Capcom. Either way, you can definitely add another multiplatform game to the "million sold on both consoles" list, it'll get there eventually on the PS3 I think, especially if you take worldwide into account.

Reboot doesn't seem to even be needed at this point....they could seriously just make another game off of that engine for this gen and would still do quite well.

Halo Wars....all I can think about is what MS is going to do with the IP next. With that many demo downloads...I can't see a lot of people picking this up just for the name. Sure, many are probably big Halo fans and probably just find this kind of game cool because they can control Spartans and Warthogs and such....but ultimately I most are only going to pick up a game if they are happy with the gameplay,

KZ2...every PS3 owner I know just doesn't seem to care. My roommate was all over COD5.... I could barely get him to watch me play the KZ2 demo. It's his PS3, I don't buy games for it, was really hoping he would pick it up but he couldn't be any less interested. At least it got top 10 twice in a row, If they could get it again next month then I'd say it was a fair launch (LOL...I'll give it the "First 100 days" like the media has done with Obama).

Stoney Mason said:
My last post on Killzone 2.

From what I played of the demo I thought it was a very good game. If I owned a PS3 I would own it and probably enjoy the hell out of it.

The quality of the game was never in doubt to me to a certain degree after I played it. Its a solid gorgeous game.

The question as it relates to a thread like this is whether it would have any real tangible effect on the sale of PS3 hardware and whether it would be a Gears of War style success for Sony based on the budget and hype the game received pre-release.

I'm not sure that was ever going to be possible. Gears had an incredible ad campaign possibly the best ever (only competition to me is halo and assassins creed). To be honest outside of a few games with major advertising campaigns like gears, MGS4, gears etc, the bump on hardware is usually negligible. Even GTA4 didn't do that much.

Another thing that went against KZ2 or and PS3 specific title is the lack of live hype. If anything that has been the one thing that really creates hype around 360 games. Word of mouth spreads like wildfire, and people are always quick to get their friends involved. I really think games like KZ2 are missing out by not getting this.

I remember when gears released and pretty much the only thing anyone was playing and/or talking about on live was gears.

Edit:
BruceLeeRoy said:
Funny enough the OT is probably the only place I haven't seen KZ2 gifs.

:lol Maybe i should of been in there than.

ElyrionX

RSTEIN said:
When talking about K2's sales, a lot of people bring up Sony's poor marketing job. What about the game itself? The number of online users has dropped quite a bit since launch. Maybe the game is just too hardcore to be a system seller? Maybe for the average gamer (not GAF gamer), it's a lot harder to pick up than the casual friendly CoDs and Halos.

The leveling system in KZ2 MP was just too poorly balanced. It was unfair to new players who just started since the experienced guys had all the perks. Even your starting ammo count is gimped. While the perks in COD4 were useful, they never conferred that big of an advantage over players who didn't have them.

Also, I'm not sure whether the game used dedicated servers or not but my online experience was always very laggy (not from the US, BTW) and it just wasn't fun playing with so much lag.

This NPD thread justifies Wesker's cheesy dialog in RE5. Man, that game has really grown on me. The more I play it the more I love it.

Seeing games like Madworld and GTA bomb sucks, though. I'll admit it was not unforeseen, and that I share blame in not buying either of those games even though I own both platforms. Can't fault companies for not catering to "us" after they make a decent effort and are met with abysmal sales. Bummer all around.

As for Killzone 2, I'm not sure Sony ever expected to directly make what they put into it. They tech that game spawned could prove invaluable for making future PS3 titles really standout, though. Anyway, the important thing Sony needs to do is to not let people forget about the game. A steady stream of DLC, a Fall tv campaign to reintroduce Killzone 2 to the world, etc.

Finally, if there was ever a time to post this, this is it:
u8t2e.jpg

You did good, Ensemble. You did good.

Yes Boss!

BruceLeeRoy said:
I keep hoping Doombringer will rise from his ashes.

Hoffman was the most palatable. Even he knew a bit about reeling it back and hedging a bit. He did get a bit crazy on the Killzone stuff but there are others still here who are much nuttier.

I bet his new account is already approved and he is just waiting to pounce.

billy.sea

Banned
I seriously want to cry for the sale of Chinatown Wars.
Biggest franchise with the #1 highest review on the best selling system.

Such an amazing game, and people go buy Imaginez Babyz instead.

lockload

I cant believe sonys biggest game hype wise for the last three years resulted in less sales of ps3s than the year before

I guess ps3 owners dont like fps games

This chart also puts a mockery on comment from the sony exec a few days ago when who talked about attatch rates as the 360 version of RE5 outsells the PS3 version two to one, in a month where they also bought a shed load of copies of halo aswell, totally highlights why mentioning attatch rates on one game is irrelevant

Son of Godzilla said:
Can we finally confirm that reviews are utterly meaningless when it comes to sales? No wonder EGM died, nobody fucking cared.

Reviews seem more directly related to sales with video games than movies or music...

billy.sea

Banned
mysticstylez said:
If there is one benefit of Chinatown Wars selling so low, is that hopefully R* realizes that they can sell more copies of a GTA game on PSP. Then we get San Andreas Stories!!!

The Stories series is shit compare to the quality of Chinatown Wars. If I want something like the stories series I rather play it on console.

Maximilian E.

AKA MS-Evangelist
Some thoughts about the whole killzone2 debacle..

Yes, the game was overhyped beyond belief from the Sony camp (fanboys and such).
For me it always seemed that it people thought it was going to shift machines like crazy.. and the comments here were like the second coming.. like.. "we´ll see when K2 comes".. "wait for K2, it will destroy everything"...

NOw, I have not played it so i dont know about the quality but the reviews seems to be very positive but if you only look at what it did for the PS3 and the sales figures it has showed, it is NO WHERE NEAR the projected sales from the hype...

So which is the next game that fanboys will say "wait for"?
The only game I can see doing some really nice things for the PS3 regarding sales is GT5, whenever it comes...

my 2 c..

As a PS3 only owner I planned on buying the game until I played the demo. Sorry, the controls just don't work for me. I don't care if that's supposed to be more realistic, realism only matters if the game is fun. It wasn't fun fighting with the controls. Call me crazy but I think this game would have sold at least 1 million through the April NPD if it controlled exactly the same as the latest COD games.

One more thing I wanted to add: Clearly I was dead wrong when I suggested the demos for Halo Wars and RE5 might negativity impact sales to any significant degree. :lol
Rice-Eater said:
As a PS3 only owner I planned on buying the game until I played the demo. Sorry, the controls just don't work for me. I don't care if that's supposed to be more realistic, realism only matters if the game is fun. It wasn't fun fighting with the controls. Call me crazy but I think this game would have sold at least 1 million through the April NPD if it controlled exactly the same as the latest COD games.
And yet RE5 somehow overcame it's unusual controls and sold like gangbusters.

TheGreatDave said:
Because it's a sequel to a hype thread, where people sat and wanked over the game for months. I'm sure Killzone 2 is a good game, but my view of it is forever tainted by the GAF "hype thread" clan plastering Killzone iconography all over their avatars and welcoming it like the second coming.

This cannot be proved but obsessive Sony fans are doing more harm than good.

BruceLeeRoy said:
I completely agree. I think it is definitely the best shooter franchise Sony could ever want but so many nitpicky annoying things keep it from the upper echelon of greatness. That being said it absolutely should have sold Gears of War numbers at very the least. Maybe once the game was done they realized they had no more money.

:lol

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
TheGreatDave said:
Reviews seem more directly related to sales with video games than movies or music...

Well, that could be because of the 50/60 dollar price point for most games nowadays, rather than the 10 dollar movie or 1 dollar download. If I'm paying for a game, I'm going to want to know a little bit more about it than a movie.

But I don't know if 'professional' reviews are what's really given weight anymore. Things seem to have shifted a bit towards word of mouth, gameplay demos and vids, etc, especially with the easy searching capabilities of the interwebz. If a game is shit, Gamefaqs can tell you that, you don't need to go to Metacritic.

/all my opinion, and disregarding 'casuals'.

Tiktaalik said:
If you actually look at the content of the ad though it was pretty terrible, especially compared to Microsoft's ads for their big budget games. Whereas Microsofts ads were eye grabbing and compelling, the Killzone 2 ad it basically just reinforced stereotypes of the genre, with some generic space marines battling while the camera focused on a bullet on the way to reach its eventual target. It was a pretty boring ad in my opinion and it certainly didn't sell the game to me. For me it just screamed "me too FPS game!"

Gears of War's "Mad World" commercial is one of the best this gen. The one they had for Gears 2 was also an eye catcher.

The Halo "Believe" one is up there as well.

Hell, even Mass Effects "Many Decisions" trailer was hotter then KZ2's...:lol

I don't know about the quantitative stats on the commercials, I'm sure if got a pretty decent amount of play, but the quality was subpar at best. Not saying that this is why it hasn't done as well as expected, hell, I actually would point to other reasons long before I got to marketing..but Sony's failure to at least put out something that would catch someones eye without looking generic sure as hell couldn't have helped.

Justin

I wonder how much Sony is kicking themselves for not locking down FF13 now. After seeing the RE5 sales I wonder if it is possible that it could sell more on 360.

Fredescu said:
It wasn't mediocre, and the first one was a very popular.

Interesting since the Killzone brigade seemed to say the exact same thing about the first Killzone (inbetween .gif's of course) I seem remember hearing countless... countless times how Killzone 1 sold over a million units.

Justin said:
I wonder how much Sony is kicking themselves for not locking down FF13 now. After seeing the RE5 sales I wonder if it is possible that it could sell more on 360.

They don't need it, just wait till Gran Turismo 5 and fat princess.

Slurmer

Banned
Man KZ2 sold ~300k and it's not even it's opening NPD month..I think a lot of you are overreacting. Sure it wasn't a world-beater or anything like that, but the numbers are by no means bad. Basically 1 month + 2 days = 610k+.
What would it have to have sold this month for people to be impressed?

Justin said:
I think at this point we can conclude the reason some games sell well on the PS3 is because they are released for the 360 too.

Neo C.

Wow, this is one of the worse NPD threads for a while.

I doubt a sequel to Killzone 2 would be on the same or even higher scale financially wise. Though I'm not sure if Guerrilla Games accepts less development money for the next Killzone.
@marketing conspiracy theory: It reminds me of Nintendo fanboys in the last generation. People should know, sometimes you can spend a shitload of marketing money and the consumers still aren't aware of your product. Higher marketing costs don't directly equal better sales.

And looking at the hardware sales, it seems the recession finally hits the gaming industry. It sucks and there's only one good thing: My yearly NPD prediction won't be way off, especially when the Wii goes down in the next few months too, compared to last year.

Slurmer said:
Man KZ2 sold ~300k and it's not even it's opening NPD month..I think a lot of you are overreacting. Sure it wasn't a world-beater or anything like that, but the numbers are by no means bad. Basically 1 month + 2 days = 610k+.
What would it have to have sold this month for people to be impressed?

I would expect at least a million after the first two months...especially with a 5 week month in it's corner.

Top Bottom