• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2014 [Up4: FFX/X-2 HD]

Hoo-doo

Banned
i want this

w28zrJH.jpg

This looks amazing. I need this to happen.

TomShoe

Banned
Polygon's NPD coverage is....interesting.

"Xbox One's latest sales milestone follows an announcement from chief competitor Sony, who says it has sold more than 7 million PlayStation 4 consoles since launching in November 2013. A key distinction between the two sales numbers is that PS4 sales are reported as sold-through, or purchased by consumers, while Xbox One sales are reported as sold-in, or sold to retailers."

"Despite trailing PS4 by some 2 million units, Mehdi said global Xbox One sales are "outpacing Xbox 360 by more than 60 percent at the same point in time."

Clearly its not trailing by some 2m units...

I think they mean it's trailing by about 2M+ units, which could be higher depending on how many XBOs have been sold to consumers.

MGSV: GZ =278k, PS4 ~ 54%, XBO ~ 20% (both combined 204k), PS3 ~ 19%

This result throws into question the release of FFXV on the Bone. FF skews even more heavily to PlayStation and on 6m sales with 2m in Japan, the best result for Xbox will be 500-700k sales for FFXV. I don't see that giving SE a decent ROI. If Japanese/PlayStation oriented franchises don't see an improvement on the Bone I could see the ports being cancelled unless MS waive their platform fee and tweak the ROI figure for SE.

Hopefully it also means that Konami will can the last gen versions of TPP and go all in for next gen. By the time it releases the ~26% of last gen purchases will be significantly lower. Full fat next gen please KojiPro!

Honestly I expect one of the XV and KHIII Bone ports to be cancelled depending on how much the first port sells on the system.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible

This result throws into question the release of FFXV on the Bone. FF skews even more heavily to PlayStation and on 6m sales with 2m in Japan, the best result for Xbox will be 500-700k sales for FFXV. I don't see that giving SE a decent ROI. If Japanese/PlayStation oriented franchises don't see an improvement on the Bone I could see the ports being cancelled unless MS waive their platform fee and tweak the ROI figure for SE.

Hopefully it also means that Konami will can the last gen versions of TPP and go all in for next gen. By the time it releases the ~26% of last gen purchases will be significantly lower. Full fat next gen please KojiPro!

Sony should just lock up exclusivity at this point. I doubt it would result in any meaningful up tick in FFXV sales on PS4, but it would make the exclusive line up even more appealing.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
And in Japan the system is trailing behind the Vita. So it looks like that the same thing is happening with the Wii U.

Ehh..Wii U sales in Japan, while terrible, aren't nearly as bad as in PAL regions and I think given market size you could argue are not that bad compared to NA.

The difference is Japan is the one region where Vita is actually alive.

Toth

They are at 750k Japan+ first month in USA alone not counting European sales where it also charted and not counting digital.

Not nearly that high in Japan. It's like 540k I believe. A large portion of those JP sales were Vita though so with NA sales, that brings total Vita sales to maybe 200-250k if we include Us and UK.

"Xbox One's latest sales milestone follows an announcement from chief competitor Sony, who says it has sold more than 7 million PlayStation 4 consoles since launching in November 2013. A key distinction between the two sales numbers is that PS4 sales are reported as sold-through, or purchased by consumers, while Xbox One sales are reported as sold-in, or sold to retailers."

"Despite trailing PS4 by some 2 million units, Mehdi said global Xbox One sales are "outpacing Xbox 360 by more than 60 percent at the same point in time."

It depends on how you look at it. Are PS4 consoles still selling out at retailers? If so, Sony has shipped AND sold to consumers 7M. And Microsoft and shipped 5M, so 2M fewer. Once they are shipped to retailers, Microsoft and Sony gets paid. Obviously they want to sell through to consumers but they get the revenue when the consoles are sold to retailers, not end users.

Heshinsi

I think they mean it's trailing by about 2M+ units, which could be higher depending on how many XBOs have been sold to consumers.

The number isn't even close to 2M for them to use about. There's nothing "could" about it, it's much higher. Polygon are stupid.

Kimppis

Ehh..Wii U sales in Japan, while terrible, aren't nearly as bad as in PAL regions and I think given market size you could argue are not that bad compared to NA.

The difference is Japan is the one region where Vita is actually alive.

You're probably right. Still, the difference between NA and EU is undeniable. And there are historical examples, where Nintendo consoles sell somewhat decently (GC) or well even (N64) in NA, but they flop everywhere else.

allan-bh

With more than 500k ahead in US and double sales on UK launch, I believe there is a good chance of Titanfall XBOne > Infamous WW.

I know there are differences in the power capabilities, but the architectures between the two are very similar aren't they? Even with a slight downgrade, I can't imagine there being a massive investment required to port from PS4 to XB1.

At 720p I'm sure it would be cheap to do a Bone port, but it's hardly worth bothering then. To extract maximum performance from it the port would become costly which is when the ROI becomes poor.

I don't think it will happen, but someone at SE should be looking at the detail of MGSV globally right now and realise that the Xbox One version holds under 15% market share for total sales with many PS3 owners yet to upgrade. I don't see the latter group migrating to Xbox One for FFXV, and they represent the next largest market.

MS may have to step in to ensure the release of Japanese games on the Bone by waiving their platform fee for SE/Konami/Capcom otherwise the ROI just won't be good enough.

Wow, I'm late to this thread.

PS4 looking good, I'm not sure what everyone is playing exactly, but this year should pick up in 6 months.

Vita's pretty much dead over here I guess, good thing they're bringing out tons of software to milk the insane attach rate.

Honestly, I'm quite interested in watching Vita this year, considering there's so much indie dev support and so many localizations announced. It's almost like it's more popular with PC folks over here than PS folks.

Asd202

While I agree XV on bone won't lead to much money there still a chance that port would be profitable. But porting KH3 on xbone is just stupid and a waste of money/time.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Good post and I agree with you. However, my main point was that there seems to be more "hardcore Nintendo fans" in the US than anywhere else. I'd say that the difference compared to Europe, which is a comparable market in size, is pretty stark.

Sure, the Gamecube didn't sell well anywhere, but (over?) 50% of its sales were from NA. And I think it's pretty likely that even the OG Wii was a bigger phenomenon in the US than here in Europe. Aren't the Wii U sales pretty much nonexistent in EU? And in Japan the system is trailing behind the Vita. So it looks like that the same thing is happening with the Wii U.

Nintendo was never really that big in Europe. They released the Nes way too late here, and the market was already dominated by computers like the C64, Spectrum etc, and even the Master System came out so close to it that it sold a very healthy amount here compared to in the US. It was only really in the US Nintendo had the market for themselves during the late 80s, which created the very big loyal fanbase for Nintendo there. That didnt really happen the same way here, and as a consequence, all products they have released here have suffered comparably.

addik

I am also curious about Kingdom Hearts 3. At least the Final Fantasy brand has already made its way to Microsoft, but this will be the first time KH will be heading to Xbox. If XBone was leading like the X360 did the last time, undoubtedly that would still be a good move, but at this point, we don't even have a Japanese launch date (or do we?)

I'm thinking maybe FFXV will still head to XBone, but if it won't make a lot of money, SE might be thinking of making Kingdom Hearts 3 exclusive to PS4 (until they suddenly make another Final Mix or something).

But yeah, I am surprised that PS4 won this month. I was honestly thinking it would be XBone with all the deals, but it looks like I am also eating crow. A 60k gap may not be a lot, but considering the unofficial price cut, that still does not sound good in perspective.

I have been steadily reading through the thread, what was the last NPD numbers we had for PS4? I remembered people saying that XBone actually sold less units per day/per week than February... is it the same case for the PS4?

Heshinsi

Those vita sales are pathetic.

From what I've seen here at retail in Edmonton, and from what others are observing elsewhere, the Vita is in short supply. More than likely a result of the wait for the 2000 model. But as others have said, what kinda strategy is it to stop supplying your current model, and then wait a month to release the new one?

tuffy

I find it amazing how quickly this industry changes.

Last time around, Nintendo makes the decision to go with cheaper, last-gen hardware and is rewarded greatly for it.

This time around, Nintendo makes the same decision to go with cheaper, last-gen hardware and the public greatly rejects the move.
Both the 3DS and Wii U launched $100 more expensive than their predecessors. That hurt their mass-market appeal considerably at launch and neither system has recovered from it.

DNAbro

Seeing Donkey Kong sales make me sad. wii u owners, why aren't you buying games? Retro and DK definitely deserved better considering it's probably the best 2D platformer out there.

Sony should just lock up exclusivity at this point. I doubt it would result in any meaningful up tick in FFXV sales on PS4, but it would make the exclusive line up even more appealing.

It would be a waste of money to lock up FFXV exclusivity though. Why spend money to ensure 100% of FFXV sales are on PS4 when they can spend nothing and still get 85-90%.

Kimppis

Nintendo was never really that big in Europe. They released the Nes way too late here, and the market was already dominated by computers like the C64, Spectrum etc, and even the Master System came out so close to it that it sold a very healthy amount here compared to in the US. It was only really in the US Nintendo had the market for themselves during the late 80s, which created the very big loyal fanbase for Nintendo there. That didnt really happen the same way here, and as a consequence, all products they have released here have suffered comparably.

Exactly. PCs and the Master System in Europe. Nothing comparable vs. the NES in NA, and as I said in my earlier post: the rest is history.

test_account

XP-39C²
Racing genre is super niche in America these days. It's the main reason they opted to delay so much -- the hype around it primarily existed because it was going to be given away for free, not because there's some huge market ready to buy it. This will appeal to the current base but will make a small blip at best in terms of moving hardware.
I think most of the hype was because of the game itself. Being free doesnt really mean that much if there is low interest in the game in the first place. The free version isnt the full game either. But i dont think it will be a huge seller though, i agree with that.

Heshinsi

It would be a waste of money to lock up FFXV exclusivity though. Why spend money to ensure 100% of FFXV sales are on PS4 when they can spend nothing and still get 85-90%.

That makes sense I guess. Anyone that would want FFXV probably would get a PS4, so being an exclusive really doesn't change the equation much. Food for thought though, considering the cost in developing for multiple consoles (Respawn not having enough money to develop for PS4 for example), does it make sense for SE to develop a non PS4 version for 10-15% X1 sales? Sales they could get probably make up on PS4. Would the ROI even cover the dev costs to make a port?

What exactly are people buying the PS4 for?

Playroom. Best console exclusive in years.

Davey Cakes

The Vita hardware sales might be bad but developers are supporting it nonetheless and, ultimately, that's what matters.
It's weird how developers will support the Vita but not the Wii U. Heck, even 3DS support isn't amazing. Then again, it probably says a lot about the state of Nintendo and third parties.

Still, 10k a month is...wow. At least the Vita is doing okay in Japan comparatively.

I have been steadily reading through the thread, what was the last NPD numbers we had for PS4? I remembered people saying that XBone actually sold less units per day/per week than February... is it the same case for the PS4?

nope

February: avg 67.5k/week
March: avg 74k/week

Why bother? It would be a complete waste of money when they will get around 90% of sales anyway. If it goes PS4 exclusive it will be because the ROI for the Bone version is negative or very low, that's without taking into account Y2Kev's favourite, opportunity cost. The money SE put into making a Bone port could be better deployed elsewhere making Type-1 or the next Dissidia title so that can release sooner while the 3DS isn't completely dead. No need for Sony to pay any amount of money to tie up the exclusive, I believe that is why it didn't happen rather than SE declining any offers made by SCE.

I am also curious about Kingdom Hearts 3. At least the Final Fantasy brand has already made its way to Microsoft, but this will be the first time KH will be heading to Xbox. If XBone was leading like the X360 did the last time, undoubtedly that would still be a good move, but at this point, we don't even have a Japanese launch date (or do we?)

I'm thinking maybe FFXV will still head to XBone, but if it won't make a lot of money, SE might be thinking of making Kingdom Hearts 3 exclusive to PS4 (until they suddenly make another Final Mix or something).

But yeah, I am surprised that PS4 won this month. I was honestly thinking it would be XBone with all the deals, but it looks like I am also eating crow. A 60k gap may not be a lot, but considering the unofficial price cut, that still does not sound good in perspective.

I think Kingdom Hearts will have the same split as Final Fantasy, if not more skewed in Playstation's favor. That fanbase is all Sony and Nintendo. I mean the Xbone version will do okay, but nothing spectacular.

And nope, PS4 had higher average weekly sales for March.

Feb: ~67k per week
March: ~74.2k per week

It depends on how you look at it. Are PS4 consoles still selling out at retailers? If so, Sony has shipped AND sold to consumers 7M. And Microsoft and shipped 5M, so 2M fewer. Once they are shipped to retailers, Microsoft and Sony gets paid. Obviously they want to sell through to consumers but they get the revenue when the consoles are sold to retailers, not end users.

they get way more revenue when those consoles are in people's homes.

there's no other way to look at it. it doesn't matter if it gets sold to retailers. why? retailers carry every product imaginable. that's like saying one brand is selling more than the other but no worries since both are being bought by the retailers to be put on their shelves. the more popular brand gets to also sell more merchandise related to the brand. in this case, more ps4 cameras will be bought. more ps+ subs will be made. more netflix and hbo go customers. those translate into meaningful business and way more revenue than bought consoles sitting on shelves.

Seeing Donkey Kong sales make me sad. wii u owners, why aren't you buying games? Retro and DK definitely deserved better considering it's probably the best 2D platformer out there.

It's yet another mascot platformer on a struggling platform already saturated with mascot platformers. It's hardly surprising that DK isn't doing gangbusters.

Wait why is everyone shocked at the PS4/XBO numbers? I thought the PS4 has been outselling it consistently since launch, hasn't it? Or was there any reason to suspect that the XBO would be a bit hit in March?

Massa

From what I've seen here at retail in Edmonton, and from what others are observing elsewhere, the Vita is in short supply. More than likely a result of the wait for the 2000 model. But as others have said, what kinda strategy is it to stop supplying your current model, and then wait a month to release the new one?

It's probably the logistics they have to go through to launch a new model across NA for a product with this kind of demand.

In Japan?

On PSN. Vita gets new games announced almost on a daily basis.

Why bother? It would be a complete waste of money when they will get around 90% of sales anyway. If it goes PS4 exclusive it will be because the ROI for the Bone version is negative or very low, that's without taking into account Y2Kev's favourite, opportunity cost. The money SE put into making a Bone port could be better deployed elsewhere making Type-1 or the next Dissidia title so that can release sooner while the 3DS isn't completely dead. No need for Sony to pay any amount of money to tie up the exclusive, I believe that is why it didn't happen rather than SE declining any offers made by SCE.

Square Enix will probably continue to do the minimal effort porting to keep Microsoft happy, as that can benefit them in other ways.

DieH@rd

Banned
What exactly are people buying the PS4 for?

For awesome games, superior performance and great PS+ deals.

Last few console launches had tons of HORRIBLE games [and very smal libraries], but this time, devs and publsihers really stepped up and were ready to release awesome games in larger quantities. PS4 is especially good with F2P an Indie, giving users great genre choice.

m@cross

Yah I noticed this too.... oh Polygon, so transparent you are

Xun

I don't think the Wii U is failing because of that. At first it was the unclear marketing and lack of compelling software early on. Now it's mostly the bad rep and all the doom talk online. People don't want it because it has become "the joke of the industry." Either that or it's totally ignored in the conversations. It's always "PS4 vs Xbox One."

It's a shame, because the console actually has some great things going for it. People just don't care at this point. Not (just) because it's cheaper and less powerful, but because they don't want to buy a failing product.
Pretty much.

It's largely a self-fulfilling prophecy from many bitter people, and that's helped ensure its failure. The amount of negativity surrounded it has been astounding, and it started long before the console even launched. Even back in January 2013 people were claiming how there was no turning back with the console, and how it was doomed to fail. Granted the initial failure was down to Nintendo, but bad worth of mouth has mostly caused this mess (at least now when there's compelling software for it).

Go_Ly_Dow

Kingdom Hearts is on the Bone because KH sells BIG in NA and before the consoles released it was expected Xbox would dominate in that region.

allan-bh

I was thinking one thing.

Gran Turismo 6 sales are kinda dead (I think). If it was released on PS4 would be selling like hotcakes.

I have yet to see a store without a few Vitas in my area. Hell, Best Buy even had the launch wi-fi model on clearance.

EDIT: That Destiny steel case box is so good.

Heshinsi

It's probably the logistics they have to go through to launch a new model across NA for a product with this kind of demand.

On PSN. Vita gets new games announced almost on a daily basis.

Yet they don't dry out Japan when launching re-designs.

Wait why is everyone shocked at the PS4/XBO numbers? I thought the PS4 has been outselling it consistently since launch, hasn't it? Or was there any reason to suspect that the XBO would be a bit hit in March?

Minor Price cuts and the release of TitanFall along with a TitanFall bundle. If the One was going to beat the PS4 any month, it was going to be March.

Top Bottom