• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2015 [Up1: Xbox #1]

JaggedSac

Those seem like low sales for a Halo month. If I am remembering correctly Xbox 360 sold over 500K in September(?) '07 when Halo 3 was released. Are these lower sales a reflection of these consoles or a downward trend in the market?

Well, Halo 3 also sold more than Halo 5, so it is likely that the 360 was more popular than the Bone and Halo 3 was more popular than Halo 5.

Yeah, the huge bump at the start of this generation drained out a lot of the legs.

We were moving sales forward instead of growing the market.

th

DryvBy

encouraging to see the ps4, despite dominating the market, struggling a bit with its mediocre exclusive lineup. sends a good message to sony. not acceptable.

Yup. Next year may be different. But this year was bomba.

Granted, I have too many games already so I'm good with Fallout and Just Cause 3 for the rest of the year.

"According to a statement from Microsoft, the Xbox One saw 81 percent growth compared to October 2014. Staying on message, it said "the strength of the greatest games lineup in Xbox history," including October's top-selling game Halo 5: Guardians, helped drive "record Xbox Live" usage for the month, as well as put the console above its competitors."

"October saw a modest growth in console sales, up just 3% over the same period last year. However, current-gen consoles saw an increase of 12% which offset last-gen consoles, which saw a 66% tumble in sales compared to the same period last year."

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/11...console-sales?abthid=56452800fd9561905e000028

Yes. Like I said it's still a big franchise and I'm sure Uncharted 4 will sell well but the trajectory of the franchise sales wise is downwards going forward, IMO. Similar to how the hype and sales for GoW3 and GoW:A went on downward trajectory.

I understand that but we're talking about sales not included in bundles. Gears of War: UE hit #3 in August (a smaller month to be fair) and it's been MS's main bundle since August.

Well I mean that's an some kind of opinion.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

This means that PS4 is surely lower than last year. And possibly quite a bit. I mean, Wii U surely didn't sell just 10k XD

EDIT: Oh, wait, he cancelled it. Let's wait for an update then.

Curufinwe

encouraging to see the ps4, despite dominating the market, struggling a bit with its mediocre exclusive lineup. sends a good message to sony. not acceptable.

When the SW battlefront bundle dominates November I'm sure you'll be most upset.

ViciousDS

Banned
"According to a statement from Microsoft, the Xbox One saw 81 percent growth compared to October 2014. Staying on message, it said "the strength of the greatest games lineup in Xbox history," including October's top-selling game Halo 5: Guardians, helped drive "record Xbox Live" usage for the month, as well as put the console above its competitors."

"October saw a modest growth in console sales, up just 3% over the same period last year. However, current-gen consoles saw an increase of 12% which offset last-gen consoles, which saw a 66% tumble in sales compared to the same period last year."

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/11...console-sales?abthid=56452800fd9561905e000028

Wait.....isn't that the troll post?

Vol5

I don't think it's all doom and gloom. I suspect either a) people are waiting for a black Friday deal or b) waiting nearer Xmas. All the hardcore now have current gen so its casuals who are now moving towards XO or PS4. I'd expect these sales to be offset in the run up to Xmas as the marketing kicks in and there are sales a plenty.

But yeah, bad month.

zsynqx

Yes. Like I said it's still a big franchise and I'm sure Uncharted 4 will sell well but the trajectory of the franchise sales wise is downwards going forward, IMO. Similar to how the hype and sales for GoW3 and GoW:A went on downward trajectory.

How is it on a downward trajectory? Because a remaster of years old games didn't set the charts on fire. By that logic TLOU is on a downwards trajectory as the remastered version sold less than the original. Uncharted 3 sold more than 2 which sold more than 1. The 4th one is looking to be a massive seller.

Kathian

Banned
Yep pack it up Sony, the Black Ops 3 and Darth Vader PS4's don't stand a chance.

XOne will do better over the holiday. And I've never seen a Special Edition been the cause for major boost to sales. If anything its just to push up the price on some sales in order to generate more revenue.

KooopaKid

Banned
US Hardware in October 2008

Rank | Platform | Units Sold | Last Month | Lifetime to Date
01 Nintendo Wii 803,000
02 Nintendo DS 491,000
03 Xbox 360 371,000
04 Playstation Portable 193,000
05 Playstation 3 190,000

Is the front loaded generation theory becoming true?

JaggedSac

If current gen consoles saw a 12% increase while the Bone saw an 81% increase, I am very curious to see what the other two consoles did.

Holy shit. PS4 likely sold less then last October with a price cut?

Only 305k for XB1?

Absolutely awful month.
This, pretty much.

Most people who wanted Halo 5 already bought an XBO at launch, for Titanfall, or for MCC. And a $50 price cut for PS4 either wasn't enough, or more people were willing to buy it at $399 than Sony predicted, and this could be reflected in a more consistent higher baseline, like another poster said.

Either people are holding out for BF and Christmas, or momentum for both is cooling down faster than most could have predicted. Likely the former, but we can't 100% rule out the latter.

I'm still down for a PS4 next year once SFV, Dreams and maybe Horizon hit, and I'm predicting next October won't be so tepid.

Elios83

ZhugeEX ‏@ZhugeEX 14 sHace 14 segundos Ver traducción
PS4 + XB1 (305k) + Wii U = ~600k sell through in the U.S. for October.

I'd wait for creamsugar because last month Zhuge was wrong with that.
But according to the quoted numbers seems like a 300k-250k-50k split for the three consoles.
Pretty disappointing.

Edit: And indeed it was wrong again.

Top Bottom