• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2015 [Up1: Xbox #1]

DC1

Isn't it expected to see diminishing returns on console hardware sales during high-profile game releases the further you are into a generation? The market should be more saturated than a year ago.
Stop it. Folks expect numbers to climb. The universe can not contain the enthusiasm.

Ray Down

Banned
This NPD...

Brenda-Meeks-Scared-Popcorn-Gif-In-Scary-Movie.gif

Megatron

I can't believe how low both numbers are. Especially ps4. I guess this is why they resisted a price drop for so long. They knew it wouldn't matter.

antonz

Seemingly decent sales for Yoshi. Good to see by sku basis Mario Maker would still be in top 10.

Wii U sales aren't saved or even rebounding by a massive degree but at least titles are selling and there are things to play

IGN said:
In a statement to IGN, Sony said it's "truly humbled by the success of the PlayStation 4," and took the opportunity to thank the PlayStation community "for making PlayStation 4 the top selling console globally."

I guess thats all we're gonna get from Sony this month.

Makes me so happy seeing Yoshi do so well.

Please keep giving Yoshi love Nintendo, don't treat us like you treat Metroid and F-Zero fans. Yoshi is the best. <3

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
1) Uncharted was bundled with the console and released day and date with a price cut; bundles aren't counted in software sales.
2) there's like a million high profile bundles coming through November
3) even with price cuts, people have plenty of rational reasons to delay a purchase later into the holiday season

Good lord, this thread is insane.

1 and 2 are contradicted by 3.

The HW hasn't set the October on fire, so the millions of bundles still wait in a corner somewhere.

Ah, the contraction posts. Which will of course lead into stellar numbers for November and December and the numbers will sharply decline into next year and the contraction posts will come around again and the cycle shall repeat itself.

Alo0oy

Banned
PS4's RotW sales must be much bigger than anyone anticipated, they've been shipping a shitton of PS4s & still doing mediocre numbers on NPD.

US Hardware in October 2008

Rank | Platform | Units Sold | Last Month | Lifetime to Date
01 Nintendo Wii 803,000
02 Nintendo DS 491,000
03 Xbox 360 371,000
04 Playstation Portable 193,000
05 Playstation 3 190,000

Is the front loaded generation theory becoming true?

Eh. The PS4 would be doing about 100k better than the PS3, and the Xbone would be doing about 70k worse than the 360, so if you focus only on PS360 numbers are still up overall. Of course, you also have the problem of most of the units in that chart disappearing, but that's a discussion for another thread.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Look at them shit Uncharted sales, in some ways it's such a shame more people could not experience the most overrated gaming franchise out there. Really do wish we were not getting UC4 AND rather TLOU2 but hey ho, Hennig had to leave and Straley was shackled with this piece of shit franchise once again.

Sony need to stop running their franchises into the ground, there is a happy medium between Valve releasing a game once every decade and Ubisoft shitting out a game annually.

Glad to see Uncharted bombing. Going into 3rd holiday period with a half assed remaster is a disgrace.

You guys are taking this way too seriously.

But I also love these posts, so carry on!

hawk2025

Back on the last NPD thread I expected that the overreactions were going to be one of these, based on who took the top spot:

"This in Halo 5 month? Xbox is dad!"

"This with a pricedrop? PS4 is dad!"

...it's kinda both, in a way? The impact of the price drop seems to have been REALLY soft.

Gurish

As a PS4 owner I'm a little bit happy that Sony didn't have a good month and that the Uncharted collection tank, they deserve it for the shitty holidays they gave us and for the overall poor exclusive line up the PS4 has other than BloodBorne.

MS though, that's a pretty sad number for a Halo month, they have my sympathy.

pager99

or they're talking about revenue of the Xbox one platform generally - including software sales somehow? I don't know how the units shifted can possibly be up 81% if overall console sales are only up 3%
the 7th gen consoles dont sell anymore like last year so 8th gen can see significant growth with just 3 the numbers dont quite add up

PS4's RotW sales must be much bigger than anyone anticipated, they've been shipping a shitton of PS4s & still doing mediocre numbers on NPD.

orrrr there's more stock on shelves than people think there is

depending on what you think sell-through was through September, that is

Boke1879

They still have to be disappointed to market reaction after a price drop. No excuses. It wasn't long ago that the competition couldn't catch a break. SCEA's marketing just sucks all around. The price drop rollout had 0 fireworks. One of the lamest, most low key price drop rollouts. If it were for their marketing department, they would be doing much worse barring the concerted effort at launch.

But maybe you have to take into account how many people were waiting on the COD bundle and the Star Wars bundle which got price drops as well. October was a pretty barren month aside from a Remaster, AC, and Halo which launched at the end of the month.

Personally I think Sony should have kept the $400 price tag, but maybe they wanted to position themselves for the Holiday

Look at them shit Uncharted sales, in some ways it's such a shame more people could not experience the most overrated gaming franchise out there. Really do wish we were not getting UC4 AND rather TLOU2 but hey ho, Hennig had to leave and Straley was shackled with this piece of shit franchise once again.

Sony need to stop running their franchises into the ground, there is a happy medium between Valve releasing a game once every decade and Ubisoft shitting out a game annually.

How have you managed to last this long with posts like this?

Top Bottom