• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2015 [Up1: Xbox #1]

So for the last few pages I saw people trying to justify shitty sales of DQH. Hillarious. Good thing that whole "Future localization will depend on DQH performance" was horseshit (like always with this kind of statements). Tho there's always the possibility that SE was referring to Sony platforms, meanwhile DQ7 and DQ8 on 3DS are the "trial" for Nintendo's platforms.

Why would anyone expect good sales from DQH when SE hardly pushed it, at all? Not to mention, previous mainline entries on the DS have sold around DQH's numbers, too.

sörine

Banned
the first week of d5 in japan was its first month in japan.

the first month of d5 in america wasn't its first full month in the us.
First month for D5 in Japan was 2 weeks (weeks 13-14) which put sales at 30k according to Dengeki. We don't have Famitsu or MC because the game plummeted out of the top 30/20 it's second week iirc. Dengeki also gave it a higher first week than the other two though (26k vs 23k).

Also I can't believe you're criticizing the US figure for not being a "full" month given when it actually launched (Oct 06) while simultaneously claiming the first week in Japan (which was 4 days btw) accounts for it's first month. Games are frontloaded sure but equating 4 days to 4 weeks is still pretty nuts.

Asd202

Why would anyone expect good sales from DQH when SE hardly pushed it, at all? Not to mention, previous mainline entries on the DS have sold around DQH's numbers, too.

Well I have a PS4 and like JRPG and I didn't buy it. My reasons were:
- It's not a JRPG and I don't like Musou games,
- this game has returning characters from older games and I never had the chance to play those game so I don't know who they are and don't care about them.
- I know they've announced DQH 2 some time ago.

I wouldn't be surprised if they were more people like me. Not to mention the game was barely marketed.

Escalario

Banned

Sony consoles have a pretty sizable musou audience in the west. One would thought that it would sell decently. All this talk about "DQ coming home", "PS4 is the best for this franchise" etc. and in the end it's what it is: all talk no action.
I wonder how DQ7 and 8 will do, but judging by the release month numbers of Bravely Default, Shin Megami Tensei 4 and Fire Emblem: Awakening, I personally expect a bigger opening month.

Mario Kart and Smash are kinda depended on Nintendo hardware sales though.
true, but they do have relatively good debuts when they do release, and substantial legs
Budget is but only one of the factor and relies on their assessment of the market conditions. Whether they have the skills & tools to develop games Western audience like currently ( Open World, First Person View, Shooters, Multiplayer etc. ) and whether Japanese story-telling and aesthetic nuances are embrace here is another thing.
i agree budget is only one factor. i don't neccessarily think that japanese publishers would think to appeal to such genres such as first person and shooters, but they are implementing some traditionally "western" aspects such as open world (zelda u, toukiden 2) and online multiplayer implementation (splatoon).
Anyway, my point being those days of new Japan franchises able to be big in the West ( compared to actual AAA Western games ) are over. It's either non-existent or incredibly slim. The West is on its path to become Hollywood 2.0 and it is only wise for its long-term goal to seek pastures elsewhere.
yeah totally, i think the remaining japanese publishers saw how bad it turned out for some companies during the active time of the ps360/wii

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Fallout 4 at > 4 million in November NPD would be insane.

Last year Call of Duty Advanced Warfare sold 4,700,000 unit, this mean Fallout 4 should sell REALLY close to this.

I believe in 3-3.5 millions, but who know, i already underestimated Fallout...

AniHawk

sörine;185659658 said:
First month for D5 in Japan was 2 weeks (weeks 13-14) which put sales at 30k according to Dengeki. We don't have Famitsu or MC because the game plummeted out of the top 30/20 it's second week iirc. Dengeki also gave it a higher first week than the other two though (26k vs 23k).

Also I can't believe you're criticizing the US figure for not being a "full" month given when it actually launched (Oct 06) while simultaneously claiming the first week in Japan (which was 4 days btw) accounts for it's first month. Games are frontloaded sure but equating 4 days to 4 weeks is still pretty nuts.

i think i was the first to point out this discrepancy. regardless, i believe that a full month of disgaea 5 in the us is stronger than a full month of disgaea 5 in japan with all sales included (online sales plus digital). i get what you're going for here, but for niche games like this, it's a successful number. everything combined, i bet it's closer to d4 was when that had a userbase of over 10m more consoles too. i imagine it'll have better legs than the japanese version did to boot.

Sony consoles have a pretty sizable musou audience in the west. One would thought that it would sell decently. All this talk about "DQ coming home", "PS4 is the best for this franchise" etc. and in the end it's what it is: all talk no action.
I wonder how DQ7 and 8 will do, but judging by the release month numbers of Bravely Default, Shin Megami Tensei 4 and Fire Emblem: Awakening, I personally expect a bigger opening month.

And how large is "pretty sizable"? Who said that the "PS4 is the best for this franchise"? You can't just throw claims like that without proper citations.

I agree with DQ7 and DQ8 having a bigger opening month
in Japan.

Alright come on now guys are we really comparing a spin off to a mainline title now. I highly doubt the people telling dq "to come home" ment a spinoff musou or are we implying because people want a mainline dq they should have instantly bought the spin off?

Asd202

Well for starters there full fledged JRPG's and not a Musou spin-off so I'm sure they will perform better. For example if we would have a DQVIII PS4 remaster vs DQVIII 3DS version now that would be something worth compering as it's stand now I don't think it's fair.
Maybe we will get that with DQ XI /crosses fingers :)

sörine

Banned
Again though DS remake numbers aren't good. Those sorts of numbers are what made SE drop the series previously. Expecting more when they try again shouldn't be thought of as unusual, otherwise they wouldn't have bothered.

I do think Builders will do better as it's just a more appealing product in the west. Given the results here though SE might be better served not launching it PS4 only this time, keep PS3/Vita in the loop given the Minecraft bases established there and rush the inevitable Steam port this time. They need to hit on all fronts next time.

sörine;185660447 said:
Again though DS remake numbers aren't good. Those sorts of numbers are what made SE drop the series previously. Expecting more when they try again shouldn't be thought of as unusual, otherwise they wouldn't have bothered.

I do think Builders will do better as it's just a more appealing product in the west. Given the results here though SE might be better served not launching it PS4 only this time, keep PS3/Vita in the loop given the Minecraft bases established there and rush the inevitable Steam port this time. They need to hit on all fronts next time.

SE better put some effort in marketing Builders, too.

crinale

Well marketing fee isn't free so..
I still with they put a little more effort on pushing Japanese games (besides FF series).

sörine;185660792 said:
After seeing their DS, mobile and now PS4 "efforts", I wouldn't count on it sadly. Hopefully the product is good enough to sell itself.

I wonder what effort they put to promote Tomb Raider too.

wall of text

i get what your saying but its easier said then done. you can't just expect for companies to come with something like the wii motion controls it was lighting in a bottle, all 3 companies wanted a piece of that market this gen but can't figure out, microsoft invest millions in kinect 2, wiiu tried a different approach with the tablet, its easy to say look at wiiu and say, the name, the price, and the software but i don't agree, if wiiu was a huge success we would be saying how amazing the tablet idea was, and the software isn't bad at all, but now that its a failure, people will say it was a dumb decision, thats why you need a proven formula like the playstation brand, basically release a 10x more powerful console at a descent price, and your guaranteed success, similar to iPhones and galaxy phones, if they can figure new fresh ideas that bring more new customers of course they will, but they still have there core market to rely on, instead of trying to make a product that might have a market or just fail miserably.

AniHawk

i get what your saying but its easier said then done. you can't just expect for companies to come with something like the wii motion controls it was lighting in a bottle, all 3 companies wanted a piece of that market this gen but can't figure out, microsoft invest millions in kinect 2, wiiu tried a different approach with the tablet, its easy to say look at wiiu and say, the name, the price, the software but i don't agree, if wiiu was a huge success we would be saying how amazing the tablet idea was, but now that its a failure, people will say it was a dumb decision, thats why you need a proven formula like the playstation brand, basically release a 10x more powerful console at a descent price, and your guaranteed success, similar to iPhones and galaxy phones, if they can figure new fresh ideas that bring more new customers of course they will, but they still have there core market to rely on, instead of trying to make a product that might have a market or just fail miserably.

i don't think that gives sony enough credit by saying they didn't do anything wrong. they had to work pretty hard to get everything in place and make sacrifices along the way (like integrating their handheld more fully into future plans). but basically where i'm coming from is basically it's not enough. last gen, the ps3 sold 27 million units in the united states and people were seeing it as a failure because within the context of the other two platforms it was up against, it was in last place. i saw those same monthly numbers and was pretty impressed, because it was beating the pants off the second place console from the gen before that. now it seems the roles are reversed and the context has changed to where the same kind of 200k-300k sales are considered amazing when the gen previous (or before that), they weren't representative of what the lead platform was doing. and this isn't a knock against the ps4, but a look at the context of the overall situation. the ps4 is doing great in the marketplace. it basically has every region to itself (it's sloooowly becoming the de facto console of choice in japan). it's not enough that it's the only system to be doing that though, which is where i feel like the market is in danger of losing relevance.

I don't understand why people in here are already projecting a PS4 mega victory for November. The 350 price point didn't do jack shit nothing, are people counting on a single day at $300 price point to carry the sales?
3 months of preorders for a couple of very popular bundles.

d2
d1
d4
d5
dd2

d5's numbers don't tell the full story though (no digital sales or nisa's online store sales). neither do d4's (no nisa's online store sales). couldn't find d3's numbers either.

Thanks for the numbers.

So both D5 and Zesteria did numbers in line with others in the series. DQH is the real variable because it has too many unknown factors in the equation.

I expect the largely majority of Japanese development (niche or otherwise) to jump on the PS4/PC development train.

Curufinwe

George provided us a nice, hot cup of coffee this month, but it was missing a little something.

Appreciate the numbers as always, creamsugar.

radcliff

toz ~ 58k

I'll never understand why Bandai Namco refuses to put Tales games on Nintendo platforms. It seems that while Tales games sell better on Sony platforms in Japan, they actually seem to sell better on Nintendo platforms in the US. Wouldn't it make sense then to make the games multi-platform and release them worldwide? I mean releasing Tales of Graces in the west on PS3 only and not on Wii (when a Wii version existed) really made no sense to me.

Only thing I can think of for the recent releases is that 1) BN had no initial intentions of releasing these titles in the west so they just put them on Sony platforms, or 2) it was because the Wii U/3DS weren't viable for porting. Hopefully the NX can fix the second issue and receive some Tales games.

Curufinwe

Persona 4 Golden sold well in the West, and imo Atlus was silly in not developing Persona 5 on PSV+PS3 - it should have also been a 2013 game, with a PS4 "Golden" version in 2015. Final Fantasy X HD did well for what it was - SMTIV did similar numbers in the first month, but it was an exclusive.

I think you're being silly in expecting them to have been able crank out P5 three years earlier than its actual release date.

I mentioned in a previous post that I don't think that there are more than 1.5 million PS4's sitting in stores. So 27.8 million sold through is very possible. My point is the PS4 continues to sell really well worldwide despite doing relatively mediocre numbers in the US.

oh, but you would be horribly, horribly wrong on this assuming we're talking about by the end of September

edit: do we know how much Persona 4 sold worldwide?

I'll never understand why Bandai Namco refuses to put Tales games on Nintendo platforms. It seems that while Tales games sell better on Sony platforms in Japan, they actually seem to sell better on Nintendo platforms in the US. Wouldn't it make sense then to make the games multi-platform and release them worldwide? I mean releasing Tales of Graces in the west on PS3 only and not on Wii (when a Wii version existed) really made no sense to me.

Only thing I can think of for the recent releases is that 1) BN had no initial intentions of releasing these titles in the west so they just put them on Sony platforms, or 2) it was because the Wii U/3DS weren't viable for porting. Hopefully the NX can fix the second issue and receive some Tales games.

I'd have thought it's 3) These games make the majority of their sales in Japan so that's the most important market for them, and the gulf between sales on Sony/Nintendo platforms in the west is minimal enough not to really make a difference.

What games are we basing the "selling better on Nintendo platforms" from? Abyss 3D and Symphonia 2? Those numbers, while better, don't look lets-change-our-platform good to me.

I was also under the impression that the problem with Graces was that it was full of bugs and glitches on Wii which they didn't patch?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
oh, but you would be horribly, horribly wrong on this assuming we're talking about by the end of September

edit: do we know how much Persona 4 sold worldwide?

I suppose you mean up-to-date shipments (from launch to September 30th) v.s. up-to-date sell-through, correct?

First month NPD sales (retail):
P4G: 34k
BD: 160k
FEA: 117k
SMTIV: 75k

FEA sold 1m+ in the West alone, BD around 600k.
Funny that you have listed first party games here while talking about third party games on PSV. Nintendo marketed and published Bravely Default as a second party and was largely responsible for its sales. Same goes for Fire Emblem, which was a first party release. SMTIV selling 75k is nothing to sneeze at but compared to the two games (FE and BD), it is hardly the most impressive result.

Some third party result from 3DS (Not first month but last known figures)

Persona Q: ~45k
EOU2:U : ~16k
Conception 2: ~13k 3DS, ~18k Vita
EO 4: ~34k
SMT: Soul Hackers: ~36k

See, games do sell well when they are marketed. Who would have thought, right?

radcliff

I'd have thought it's 3) These games make the majority of their sales in Japan so that's the most important market for them, and the gulf between sales on Sony/Nintendo platforms in the west is minimal enough not to really make a difference.

What games are we basing the "selling better on Nintendo platforms" from? Abyss 3D and Symphonia 2? Those numbers, while better, don't look lets-change-our-platform good to me.

I was also under the impression that the problem with Graces was that it was full of bugs and glitches on Wii which they didn't patch?

I never said "change platforms." I suggested adding Nintendo platforms to Sony platforms and reap the benefits of a worldwide release. When a cheap sequel (Symphonia 2) and a very late port (Abyss) can sell comparably on Nintendo platforms to the main entries on Sony platforms in the west, I don't see how this is an unreasonable course of action at all.

I wasn't aware about the Graces bugs/glitches issue. Not saying it wasn't the case, I simply wasn't aware of it. I do know this was the case with one of the Wii Fatal Frame games.

I never said "change platforms." I suggested adding Nintendo platforms to Sony platforms and reap the benefits of a worldwide release. When a cheap sequel (Symphonia 2) and a very late port (Abyss) can sell comparably on Nintendo platforms to the main entries on Sony platforms in the west, I don't see how this is an unreasonable course of action at all.

I wasn't aware about the Graces bugs/glitches issue. Not saying it wasn't the case, I simply wasn't aware of it. I do know this was the case with one of the Wii Fatal Frame games.

With the rate they churn out Tales games, I can imagine they don't seem too fussed about expanding their platforms as much as they just worry about getting the next one out.

They didn't even offer an alternative platform for Zestiria in Japan for its initial release. I can see where you're coming from, but I don't think it'd make a large difference. Maybe I'm wrong on that.

re. Graces, probably not the best source, but it's the first one that came up when I searched. It actually got recalled because the quality was so poor, not sure it ever got patched:

http://www.siliconera.com/2010/02/23/namco-bandai-recalls-tales-of-graces/

Funny that you have listed first party games here while talking about third party games on PSV. Nintendo marketed and published Bravely Default as a second party and was largely responsible for its sales. Same goes for Fire Emblem, which was a first party release. SMTIV selling 75k is nothing to sneeze at but compared to the two games (FE and BD), it is hardly the most impressive result.

The fact that Nintendo did some promotion is a plus, not a minus - advertisement sells, who knew! It's also true that advertisement doesn't necessarily work, and we have plenty of examples. I guess you're overestimating BD's marketing, though.

Thanks for those numbers, btw: Soul Hackers (!) and Etrian Odyssey IV (!!!) sold on par with DQ Heroes (ok, that's LTD but it's not that DQ Heroes will sell 100k lifetime at this point) which is quite depressing for SQEX. And you know it's depressing when you're comparing yourself with Soul - freaking - Hackers (wonderful game, btw) which is the nichest game outhere. I mean, you picked all niche games against a HD actionRPG from a beloved and known IPs that happened to sell 500k+ units in NA alone.

Persona Q also did really well in its first month (45k are for the debut); it did better than Persona 4 Golden. SMTIV did 90k during its first month IIRC.

This shows how 3DS has a thriving jRPG audience that allows niche and mid-sized release to exist.

The only remarkable figure here is Bravely Default, which performed exceptionally good in the West (especially in France I think) due to being some kind of unexpected miracle for old school JRPG lovers. Looking at this game was magic, it really looked like the ideal throwback to a neglected genre.

We all know how it ended up though, and I wonder if Bravely Second will reach half the sales of the first. And I'm saying this while having 70+ hours on BD, but we know there are some good reasons to skip the sequel, as shown by the japanese sales if I remember correctly.

Star Ocean V will be the first real JRPG exclusive for PS4 (in the West), and the first who could be revealing about the desire for JRPG on PS4. Well, pretty much everything who looks like a JRPG is coming to PS4 anyway :)

I'm just realizing that for the next 3-4 years we're going to get a constant stream of mental gymnastics to show that the numbers every month "aren't that bad". Ugh.

The only remarkable figure here is Bravely Default, which performed exceptionally good in the West (especially in France I think) due to being some kind of unexpected miracle for old school JRPG lovers. Looking at this game was magic, it really looked like the ideal throwback to a neglected genre.

We all know how it ended up though, and I wonder if Bravely Second will reach half the sales of the first. And I'm saying this while having 70+ hours on BD, but we know there are some good reasons to skip the sequel, as shown by the japanese sales if I remember correctly.

Star Ocean V will be the first real JRPG exclusive for PS4 (in the West), and the first who could be revealing about the desire for JRPG on PS4. Well, pretty much everything who looks like a JRPG is coming to PS4 anyway :)

FEA at 1.7m and SMTIV at 600k worldwide are remarkable as well. It was also a miracle that Soul Hackers sold close to 40k units in NA. EO has always been quite consistent and Untold 2 is the first real drop for the IP.

Just FYI, you're mixing in some first month with LTD sales for those games there. And they don't match with the numbers I found either.

Persona Q - ~ 48k - first month
EOU2 - ~ 13k - first month
Conception 2 - ~13k / 18k - first month
Etrian Odyssey IV - ~ 36k LTD, unsure of first month sales
Soul Hackers - ~ 36k LTD, unsure of first month sales

You could've also pulled these two from the end of 2013:

Project X Zone - 87K
Rune Factory 4 - 47k

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=97509161&postcount=3225

SMTIV did 90k during its first month IIRC.

96k LTD; 65-70k first month.

FEA at 1.7m and SMTIV at 600k worldwide are remarkable as well. It was also a miracle that Soul Hackers sold close to 40k units in NA. EO has always been quite consistent and Untold 2 is the first real drop for the IP.
Persona 4: Golden selling more than 700k WW is not remarkable?
Danganronpa 1-2 selling more than 200k in West is not remarkable?
Sword Art Online selling more than 450k WW is not remarkable?

But every game on 3DS even those which sold like shit are remarkable? Okay.

Just FYI, you're mixing in some first month with LTD sales for those games there. And they don't match with the numbers I found either.

Persona Q - ~ 48k - first month
EOU2 - ~ 13k - first month
Conception 2 - ~13k / 18k - first month
Etrian Odyssey IV - ~ 36k LTD, unsure of first month sales
Soul Hackers - ~ 36k LTD, unsure of first month sales

You could've also pulled these two from the end of 2013:

Project X Zone - 87K
Rune Factory 4 - 47k

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=97509161&postcount=3225

96k LTD; 65-70k first month.
My numbers are from Creamsugar and I mentioned not all of them are LTD. SS for example was listed as 77k Ltd by creamaugar while it is lower in the post you quoted.

But every game on 3DS even those which sold like shit are remarkable? Okay.

Yes (already said that in some previous page).
Yes (they sold in line with PW1 + PW2 on DS in NA only).
Maybe (it means it sold around 150k units outside Japan).

I guess we're done here since the comparison between DQH and SH is quite telling per se.

What happens in 2019 to change things?

New boxes, or the transition of Consoles into PC hybrids, or who knows. Something that will be able to be pointed to as a driver of growth.

Based on historical comps, 2015 should be the peak year in HW sales for PS4/Xone. And we're still not seeing great packaged SW sales. Packaged SW tie ratios are down a full point versus same point in prior gens.

StormKing

With the exception of Persona, those sales aren't especially remarkable.
Each iteration of Danganronpa sold 100k copies in the west which while decent is not comparably to the 700,000 thousands western copies which Bravely Default achieved.
How much did Sword Art Online sell in the West?

31k first month for DQH is terrible. It definitely does not bode well for future western Dragon Quest releases on the PS4.

Vena

One only needs to bring up all your past post defending low sales of niche Japanese games on 3DS every NPD thread due to them being in line with past sales in the series to know your only problem with DQH sales is that it's associated with a Sony console.

You mean:

Miku did pretty well on the 3DS compared to the most recent past release, that's neat. With digital, the series has probably grown considerably over its previous numbers on the PS3.

Did we have any idea for expectations on PDAN? I don't know how to gauge that number considering its a spin-off, and comparing to main-line would be strange.

A title that experienced growth (+having a small budget)? Just like I said, in this very thread, that D5 seemed fine as well? You are trying to put bias where there is little (because none would obviously be a lie) in an attempt to dismiss as a discussion by fallacy.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
toz ~ 58k
d5 ~ 26k
dq ~ 31k

jd2016 ~ 38k, Wii ~ 39%

Sadly we don't have European numbers for Tales, but here's where it's sitting at on SteamSpy: Owners: 85,067 ± 7,374

New boxes, or the transition of Consoles into PC hybrids, or who knows. Something that will be able to be pointed to as a driver of growth.

Based on historical comps, 2015 should be the peak year in HW sales for PS4/Xone. And we're still not seeing great packaged SW sales. Packaged SW tie ratios are down a full point versus same point in prior gens.
Tie ratios, while not good, don't seem too surprising to me on the basis there appears to be almost no software getting released.

Like, we're at the point where (outside the holiday season) having two major titles is a "good month".

2016 isn't looking much better paging through Wikipedia's list of announced dates.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
...Updated tie ratios is actually something I'd like to know, even if it's just retail (thus, completely ignoring digital sales, but let's take what we can get). It's been ages since the last time we got them :(

Top Bottom