• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2015 [Up1: Xbox #1]

The revenue pull on PC must be massive for Bandai. Pure digital sales after all. I would conjecture that the revenue pull on PC is highest out of all platforms. What do you think Nirolak?
Revenue on PC and console should be roundabout the same as long as it's digital.
Digital vs. retail is where the huge difference lies.
No Cogs, shorter distribution chain with less participants and less people needed to bring your stuff into stores.

I'll be going to the midnight release at gamestop. If anything I'll come back and give anecdotal evidence lol.
Getting the Vader PS4
Sounds great. Have fun and send a report about fuzzy impressions of bundles sold, platform split and if there is already dust collecting on Tomb Raider boxes.

Nyoro SF

Revenue on PC and console should be roundabout the same as long as it's digital.
Digital vs. retail is where the huge difference lies.
No Cogs, shorter distribution chain with less participants and less people needed to bring your stuff into stores.

Right, but PC sales are nearly pure digital, whereas console digital sales usually hover from between 5-15%.

I'm thinking that because of that, PC is now a guaranteed focus for Bandai... though that should be obvious given that Bandai and QLOC are buddy buddy and have been putting a few great quality PC versions of titles.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I'll be working the midnight for Battlefront, so I'll do my part and offer nebulous evidence as well. Right now I can tell y'all that at my store the preorders didn't chart nearly as high as Black Ops III's, though. I had ~700 calls to make for those and ~425-450 for Battlefront.

Do note, though, that I had ~375 for Fallout 4. And that game is... on fire. So this is uber-anecdotal.

QaaQer

I'll be working the midnight for Battlefront, so I'll do my part and offer nebulous evidence as well. Right now I can tell y'all that at my store the preorders didn't chart nearly as high as Black Ops III's, though. I had ~700 calls to make for those and ~425-450 for Battlefront.

Do note, though, that I had ~375 for Fallout 4. And that game is... on fire. So this is uber-anecdotal.

Would you say there is an age/sex difference between f4 and boiii buyers?

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Would you say there is an age/sex difference between f4 and boiii buyers?

I definitely reached more women when I made the calls for Fallout 4. I spoke with a good number of female gamers for each of the projects, but I remember chatting with my (female) coworker about how interesting it was that it seemed like a solid third of our Fallout 4 calls were women.

As for age, that's harder to tell over the phone, but I think there were a higher number of somewhat older players (30+) for Fallout 4 and Battlefront than CoD, which still seems to chart really well with teens and 20-somethings.

RedAssedApe

Banned
ubisoft...ouch

how much did just dance do the last two years? thought it was still relatively popular for the casuals. guess its run its course. then again these type of games don't really need yearly installments. guess thats why they are experimenting with just dance unlimited.

QaaQer

I definitely reached more women when I made the calls for Fallout 4. I spoke with a good number of female gamers for each of the projects, but I remember chatting with my (female) coworker about how interesting it was that it seemed like a solid third of our Fallout 4 calls were women.

As for age, that's harder to tell over the phone, but I think there were a higher number of somewhat older players (30+) for Fallout 4 and Battlefront than CoD, which still seems to chart really well with teens and 20-somethings.

Cheers. :)

AniHawk

Or it alleviates 'choice overload'. It is kind of nice to walk into a store and choose between 5 kinds of bread instead of 400.

yeah i know that's what makes the wii u so appealing. i mean who knows what you're going to get on those other platforms. at least you have a pretty good shot at getting a really good nintendo game on wii u!

I definitely reached more women when I made the calls for Fallout 4. I spoke with a good number of female gamers for each of the projects, but I remember chatting with my (female) coworker about how interesting it was that it seemed like a solid third of our Fallout 4 calls were women
That's interesting. Thanks. Good luck for you workday at the Battlefront.

Sales results threads become pre-prediction threads if they last long enough.

Having fun putting together a Top 10 prediction for November including leaked Black Friday prices:

1. BLOPS III
  2. Fallout 4
  3. Battlefront
  4. Madden NFL 16 - $27 at WM, $30 at BBY, $35 at Target
  5. NBA 2K16 - Same as Madden
  6. Destiny: The Taken King - $35 at Walmart and Target
  7. Disney Infinity 3.0 - $34.99 to $44.99 at GS, Target, Best Buy, TRU and Walmart
  8. Halo 5 - Could fall off list. But I believe.
  9. FIFA 16 - Same as Madden and NBA 2K
  10. Grand Theft Auto V - $25 at Walmart, $34.99 at Best Buy. It's my wild card

Other wild cards - AC Syndicate will be $35 at Best Buy, Target and Walmart. Guitar Hero is $69 all over, that could be interesting. Lego Jurassic, Arkham both deep discounted too.

Notes: If GTAV could chart Top 10 it would be third consecutive November the game would chart (#5 in 2013, #2 in 2014). Madden was #5 in 2012, and #4 each of the last two years. AC was #3 in 2012 and 2013, #5 last year.

November will be interesting.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I strongly agree with that top three right now overall. After that I'm far too new at the predictions game to make any big statements, but I do think The Taken King will be on there, yeah.

Glad to see Yoshi's Wooly World doing so well. Still have to scoop it up, but the word of mouth is really positive. Sort of amazing that it sounds like Good-Feel stepped up their game with a title people are comparing favorably to a classic like Yoshi's Island.

Boke1879

Sounds great. Have fun and send a report about fuzzy impressions of bundles sold, platform split and if there is already dust collecting on Tomb Raider boxes.

UGH I was just in there today to finalize some things for later tonight. I was meaning to ask how TR did but It slipped my mind. I'll ask tonight about that as well.

Grotesque just mentioned how surprisingly well yoshi charted. So maybe another wildcard.
I don't know what's more saddening. No WiiU title on your list or no Tomb Raider, Mr. Queso.
Either way it seems right.

Oh. Were there any promos for Splatoon? Too old to sneak in maybe.

Come on dude. Seriously. Fall off the list? In November? It just came out at the end of October lmao. Doom and gloom, holy crap.

What is usually the number for 10th in November/December NPDs? I could easily see it selling quite well in that time but still not hitting the list

Come on dude. Seriously. Fall off the list? In November? It just came out at the end of October lmao. Doom and gloom, holy crap.

Not doom and gloom, math.

To get in the Top 10 each of the last three years, a game needed at least, on average, a little over 500k.

For each of the last 3 Halo releases, sales decayed at least 50% from month 1 to month 2, although no title launched in Oct.

You know what month 1 was. Given that math, and the fact no leaked Black Friday ad has any kind of special pricing on the title, and since it's a platform exclusive, then it shouldn't get into the Top 10.

Me placing it in my top 10 shows the opposite of doom and gloom, actually.

No WiiU title on your list

I can't see Tennis getting there. Would be fantastic to see Splatoon make it. It's $25 at Walmart and $35 at Best Buy, so you never know. Pokemon always charts in November with a release, but other than that since Nintendo doesn't discount a whole bunch it's tough for those games to hit the top 10. Maybe!

allan-bh

My guess is that Battlefront will sell less than Fallout 4 (Black Ops III is a given).

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
yeah i know that's what makes the wii u so appealing. i mean who knows what you're going to get on those other platforms. at least you have a pretty good shot at getting a really good nintendo game on wii u!

I can get that feeling when you fear that an overcrowded environment can be detrimental, pure poison for way too many games that can't even get the minimal space to survive (we see some of that on Steam, and iOS/Android are really, really polluted), but that's the exact extreme opposite of the sentiment. Such a low amount of games = much less variety = much less potential audiences = lower sales potential = less potential future audience that can become source for vertical expansion operations (DLCs, Ultimate Team-like packs, etc.etc.).

SwolBro

Banned
Not doom and gloom, math.

To get in the Top 10 each of the last three years, a game needed at least, on average, a little over 500k.

For each of the last 3 Halo releases, sales decayed at least 50% from month 1 to month 2, although no title launched in Oct.

You know what month 1 was. Given that math, and the fact no leaked Black Friday ad has any kind of special pricing on the title, and since it's a platform exclusive, then it shouldn't get into the Top 10.

Me placing it in my top 10 shows the opposite of doom and gloom, actually.
. Maybe!

Ok, i just don't see it possibly falling off. I'll be very very surprised.

QaaQer

I really wish I liked Nintendo games, it would make things so much easier.<---not sarcasm I need to have a game going (self medicating with dopamine?), or it affects my mood. It gets a little expensive when I'm trying to find the next one.

I wish there was the single player equivalent of League or Dota2 so I could have a single reliable supplier/dealer.

Sterok

I can't see Tennis getting there. Would be fantastic to see Splatoon make it. It's $25 at Walmart and $35 at Best Buy, so you never know. Pokemon always charts in November with a release, but other than that since Nintendo doesn't discount a whole bunch it's tough for those games to hit the top 10. Maybe!

You gotta believe in miracles.
TYOroVs.gif

StevieP

Banned
Or it alleviates 'choice overload'. It is kind of nice to walk into a store and choose between 5 kinds of bread instead of 400.

Yeah my store only carries white loaves, whole wheat loaves, white toast bread and brown toast bread. I mean fuck all those people who need more than that. Bagels? English muffins? Sesame seed? Buns? Kaisers? That's all bullshit. You only need a regular loaf. It's not like selling only regular loaves would lead to lower overall sales of bread or anything.

I can get that feeling when you fear that an overcrowded environment can be detrimental, pure poison for way too many games that can't even get the minimal space to survive (we see some of that on Steam, and iOS/Android are really, really polluted), but that's the exact extreme opposite of the sentiment. Such a low amount of games = much less variety = much less potential audiences = lower sales potential = less potential future audience that can become source for vertical expansion operations (DLCs, Ultimate Team-like packs, etc.etc.).

You forgot the = lower end-game hardware sales part.

I really wish I liked Nintendo games, it would make things so much easier.<---not sarcasm I need to have a game going (self medicating with dopamine?), or it affects my mood. It gets a little expensive when I'm trying to find the next one.

I wish there was the single player equivalent of League or Dota2 so I could have a single reliable supplier/dealer.

You know what would alleviate your issue? A platform with a lot of choice of software so that you can find inexpensive software that you may enjoy. Errrr...

Btw what's a "Nintendo game"? I hear they make games in more than 1 genre nowadays

I really don't see the big deal of there being less retail games .
DD will fill in the spaces and there still a good amount of variety .
Now when it comes to finding out total tie ratios that almost impossible because of DD and PS+.
And we don't get much info on those things .

RexNovis

Banned
Not so sure here. If the info that maps DLCs arrive first on PS4 spreads, it could even take it software-wise.

The DLC first stuff doesnt seem to have been advertised that much so it wouldnt surprise if the average consumer was unaware of the switch.

Same here with Battlefront. Is there anything worthy content-wise that comes first or exclusively to PS4? Otherwise I agree.

Well the bundle includes those other Star Wars games and there is a massive gulf of 900p vs 720p on XB1. I expect the SW Bundles to sell by the truckload and when you consider that all XB1 purchases will get 1 free game (most of which will likely be BF) that will count towards the NPD ranking thanks to being a "soft bundle" it is easy to see how XB1 could come out on top in the software ranking but be absolutely demolished by the onslaught of SW Bundles that PS4 has sold.

But hey I could be wrong on both accounts.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
bold prediction you have there, although maybe that Smash/Splatoon bundle will save you for now

Nah, Splatoon is at 600k by end of August, i think it's at 700k by end of October.

It will sell 200k in November ( the Black Friday bundle at $250 will help a lot) and another 300k in December...

GnawtyDog

Banned
Those are hard sales even if it's Microsoft buying the games.
The digital codes in the bundles are not counted by NPD.
Ironic?

In the end we still know what x amount of Battlefront bundles were pushed etc and we can aggregate with physical for a full picture even if NPD Top-10 for physical doesn't do so (and it shouldn't - it's nice that there is a distinction).

Nah, Splatoon is at 600k by end of August, i think it's at 700k by end of October.

It will sell 200k in November ( the Black Friday bundle at $250 will help a lot) and another 300k in December...
You're being way too generous. I don't remember Wii U experiencing a big boost last BF or Christmas, and if it did that won't happen this year b/c of increased value from XBO and especially PS4 bundles chipping away at any Wii U bundle's advantages.

Also find it hard how Splatoon will combat against the Star Wars appeal to families; Star Wars pretty much is going to win there without even trying, and PS4 is the one with the Star Wars bundle this holiday.

Pranay

The revenue pull on PC must be massive for Bandai. Pure digital sales after all. I would conjecture that the revenue pull on PC is highest out of all platforms. What do you think Nirolak?

70% of 50$ = 35$ with a free game (digital)
50% of 60$ = 30$ (retail)

FranXico

What's funny is that Sony is actually fighting fire with fire, they did the same thing for Fallout 4 for PS4 during launch week.

Consumers win :)

That's actually a good thing, because in the end both parties are going to realize the futility of marketing deals.

wait...is that bundle Black Friday only or the entire holidays?

I was assuming the latter when I said the bundles might save it, if it's the former than 0% chance

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
I'm just realizing that for the next 3-4 years we're going to get a constant stream of mental gymnastics to show that the numbers every month "aren't that bad". Ugh.

Yeh pretty much. The companies can start using GAF posts as their spin tweets.

Having fun putting together a Top 10 prediction for November including leaked Black Friday prices:

1. BLOPS III
  2. Fallout 4
  3. Battlefront
  4. Madden NFL 16 - $27 at WM, $30 at BBY, $35 at Target
  5. NBA 2K16 - Same as Madden
  6. Destiny: The Taken King - $35 at Walmart and Target
  7. Disney Infinity 3.0 - $34.99 to $44.99 at GS, Target, Best Buy, TRU and Walmart
  8. Halo 5 - Could fall off list. But I believe.
  9. FIFA 16 - Same as Madden and NBA 2K
  10. Grand Theft Auto V - $25 at Walmart, $34.99 at Best Buy. It's my wild card

Other wild cards - AC Syndicate will be $35 at Best Buy, Target and Walmart. Guitar Hero is $69 all over, that could be interesting. Lego Jurassic, Arkham both deep discounted too.

Notes: If GTAV could chart Top 10 it would be third consecutive November the game would chart (#5 in 2013, #2 in 2014). Madden was #5 in 2012, and #4 each of the last two years. AC was #3 in 2012 and 2013, #5 last year.

November will be interesting.

Has Skylanders fallen off that much to DI now?

That's actually a good thing, because in the end both parties are going to realize the futility of marketing deals.

There is no futility to marketing deals .
Destiny move a lot of consoles for Sony , they work which is why companies do them .
Even more so when they do LE consoles .

Top Bottom