• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2015 [Up1: Xbox #1]

Chobel

I DO care, you're 100% right. I'm not trying to come off as a "fanboy" or anything, I just would be pretty butthurt if one of the better MP games AND Halo games to come out in a long time bombed because of the stigma surrounding the X1. It deserves much higher than I'd assume it got from all the hints.

I think it's a true return to form for the series in many ways (albeit NOT perfect) and is one of the freshest, smoothest MP games I've EVER played.

I'd be VERY disappointed if it performed ~500k for the 5 days it was on sale. I'm HOPING for close to or AT 1m.

You set the bar way too low man.

Aceofspades

Banned
Backwards Compatibility and returning to Number #1 and Halo on Top. High-Five Microsoft.

Wasnt it expected, Halo month of all months?! I feel like this overexcited posts trying to paint a better picture of the situation than it actually is.

Fact is 304k for X1 is low consodering X1 sold even more during TF month (march).

PS4 numbers can be excused due to BF and CoD bundles which are not counted in oct, those bundles being available early could have eaten a big portion of PS4 sales. The thing is PS4 should do exceptionally well in Nov when those bundles are counted.

This Halo talk is tiring because I feel like there's a lot of repeat going on.

Halo 2, 3, 4 and Reach all debuted to ~3.3 million.

1.5 million is a huge drop off for the series. A 305k XB1 month is equally bad but is outdone by how pathetic the PS4 price drop effect was.

Interesting points, but I think there are some variables that make this a difficult 1:1 comparison. For instance:
  • Halo Reach launching earlier in a month and with a bigger install base. Yes, I know sales are front-loaded, but it still had more time to sell than Halo 5's < 1 week, muddying the comparison
  • Halo 2 launching in November (always a bigger month)
  • Halo 4 launching with a (much) bigger install base and in November (always a bigger month)
  • Digital was either not available or non-existant when past Halo games released - digital is much bigger this gen - and although physical is still the vast majority of sales, you still have to account for this variable.

Halo 3 was probably the biggest unique case here - it launched with a smaller install base than XB1's and similarly was late in its debut month - and it still had huge numbers. It was clearly a monster, and potentially the "peak" (as far as sales go) for the series.

That said, if you account for these other variables, I don't think Halo 5's performance is as "damning" as you're making it out to be.

Also, just to clarify: you say past Halo games sold ~3 million - are you talking just in the US? Worldwide?

I'm also not sure what the ~1.5 million figure you're talking about represents - physical in US? Without bundles? Worldwide?

I DO care, you're 100% right. I'm not trying to come off as a "fanboy" or anything, I just would be pretty butthurt if one of the better MP games AND Halo games to come out in a long time bombed because of the stigma surrounding the X1. It deserves much higher than I'd assume it got from all the hints.

I think it's a true return to form for the series in many ways (albeit NOT perfect) and is one of the freshest, smoothest MP games I've EVER played.

I'd be VERY disappointed if it performed ~500k for the 5 days it was on sale. I'm HOPING for close to or AT 1m.

Thats a 80%+ decline. Thats ridiculous.
There is no way you can spin a 50% decline as something not to be seriously concerned about.

Assuming Wii U is even 50k, that's WAY too low for PS4. There's no way it does sub 200k in October because that'd put it in PS3 territory and it's been much stronger than PS3 every single month in NA in comparison to its rival (aside from last November and December).

WiiU doing 40k would be crazy bad. I mean its WiiU but I dunno.

RexNovis

Banned
Halo 5 and the X1 both number one.
And here comes the holidays right behind it.
They deserve it really. They've been busting their ass for awhile now.
Promising, Hustling,and Delivering.
Hope this trend for continues for them.
Don't get soft Microsoft,keep that Eye of the Tiger baby.

I hereby vote that "hustling" and "eyes of the tiger baby" be added to NPD bingo.

Can't believe this is a serious post. It's absolutely insane that people are celebrating 305k sales on Halo release month and then celebrating Halo sales despite it, by all accounts, being the weakest in the entire series. Is it just not known how much of a drop this all is from previous debuts? Because it is a massive drop. There really isn't much to celebrate at all.

Boke1879

Think you set the bar way too low man.

maxiell

Pretty bad numbers for Xbox One. The price on the Halo console was not even in the same ballpark as it should have been to push hardware. Missed opportunity.

I understand the long term idea behind bundling Uncharted, but new games do better with bundles than old ones.

Wow, that's a very surprising (and bad) result for Sony. Maybe they shouldnt have dropped the price after all.

I was personally expecting Uncharted and the price drop to have a much bigger effect. Uncharted's rank is also surprisingly low (hopefully Sony will give us numbers).

Hoo-doo

Banned
I hereby vote that "hustling" and "eyes on the tiger baby" be added to NPD bingo.

Can't believe this is a serious post. It's absolutely insane that people are celebrating 305k sales on Halo release month and then celebrating Halo sales despite it, by all accounts, being the weakest in the entire series. Is it just not known how much of a drop this all is from previous debuts? Because it is a massive drop. There really isn't much to celebrate at all.

That post you quoted is a fucking gem. I don't know where the hell these people come from, but they are hilarious.

Angel_DvA

After all amazing Xbox deal everywhere, it would have been terrible if it hasn't beat PS4 this month.

Halo 5 did pretty good too but I admit I'm a little disappointed by the numbers.

VinFTW

~500k is too low for an X1 exclusive FPS w/ BLOPS3 and BF around the corner? Seriously?

I guess that shows I have probably zero business being in an NPD thread. Hence my limited time in them (this one is my most active one).

I honestly didn't expect it to hit 1m, I'm sure there are others that have felt the same? Especially after Halo 4 and MCC.

or could be up. We don't know.

&#8220;Console hardware sales increased by 3 percent over October 2014,&#8221; he said. &#8220;This was due entirely to [Xbox One and PlayStation 4] generation sales, which rose by 12 percent to offset the 66 percent decrease in hardware sales for last generation consoles.&#8221;

I'm pretty sure it's not up. Likely flat or down by a small number.

They make is sound like PS4 is up when it's actually down. I don't see Wii U doing better.

Isn't October generally going to be a low sales month because of the holiday sales coming a month later in November? So, is it really that surprising that sales are super low this NPD? I mean, people are so conditioned to wait for holiday sales nowadays. Amazon is a bit of an outlier in that regard because it had a lot of amazing sales all year round (which we are seeing emulated to a lesser extent at Best Buy and Target in the past year), which is why Amazon probably was off this month because it doesn't track brick and mortar retail all the time. If it hadn't been for Halo, October could have been much worse.

Nintenleo

So happy for Yoshi, that is one of the best games of the year. My game of the summer, here in Italy.

Yoshi making the chart, DQVII in Europe and America, Cloud on Smash. Unbelievable. What's next?

Chobel

~500k is too low for an X1 exclusive FPS w/ BLOPS3 and BF around the corner? Seriously?

I guess that shows I have probably zero business being in an NPD thread. Hence my limited time in them (this one is my most active one).

I honestly didn't expect it to hit 1m, I'm sure there are others that have felt the same? Especially after Halo 4 and MCC.

Nope, just you.

kswiston

AAA games sell a huge portion of their "first month" of sales in the first few days. We go through this like every month. "That's pretty great given that the game was only on sale for 3 days!". Then the following month said game has at best sold about the same in 30 days as it did in the first 3. Sometimes not even that.

If ~3M was typical for first month Halo sales, and if this game is sitting at 1.5M or less after 5 days, I wouldn't hold my breath for the LTD to hit 3M by the end of November (giving it even more time on shelves than other Halo "first months".

Is ZhugeEx coming back at some point or was he permabanned?

It's pretty shocking to see Yoshi sell more than the Uncharted.

Uncharted is a remaster collection.

Wow, that's a very surprising (and bad) result for Sony. Maybe they shouldnt have dropped the price after all.

I was personally expecting Uncharted and the price drop to have a much bigger effect. Uncharted's rank is also surprisingly low (hopefully Sony will give us numbers).

Remasters generally aren't going to sell consoles to people, and I'm assuming preorders don't count towards this months NPD? So people preordering the Star Wars bundle at the lower price for example, won't count in this month's sales.

Mikey Jr.

Isn't October generally going to be a low sales month because of the holiday sales coming a month later in November? So, is it really that surprising that sales are super low this NPD? I mean, people are so conditioned to wait for holiday sales nowadays. Amazon is a bit of an outlier in that regard because it had a lot of amazing sales all year round (which we are seeing emulated to a lesser extent at Best Buy and Target in the past year), which is why Amazon probably was off this month because it doesn't track brick and mortar retail all the time. If it hadn't been for Halo, October could have been much worse.

Thats what I thought.

I mean, it makes sense to me. Why buy a console in October for $350, when you can wait a month and buy a console for $299 with a brand new game and probably some other free stuff.

stryke

Why would Sony be willing to give numbers for such a shitty rank? Let's not forget they don't even give numbers when they do well.

eFKac

Expected Xbone to be above PS4 but 300k with the first mainline Halo is a poor showing.

PS4 very weak with the price drop. Maybe 299 in November will help it.

Wow, you did a real good job not setting yourself up for disappointment.

OEM

In a statement to IGN, Sony said it's "truly humbled by the success of the PlayStation 4," and took the opportunity to thank the PlayStation community "for making PlayStation 4 the top selling console globally."

Trago

I'm gonna guess that everyone is holding out for Black Friday, otherwise, Pachter and Jason Rubin's front loaded sales theory could possibly be happening after all.

Top Bottom