• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia announces the GTX 980 Ti | $650 £550 €605

Radec

Damn, dat difference between 980TI and Titan X.

There's no reason to buy a Titan X now. Unless you need the extra ram.

Quiet would be nice. I'm more interested in keeping everything at a decent temperature. I really appreciate your help also. I was all over the place hehe.

No problem!

In general, the stock coolers (on the CPU and the video card) are totally fine for keeping them at the recommended temps. The Corsair cooler will allow for better overclocking of the CPU, but you may not care about that (especially if it's your first build.)

GHG

They don't?

I would.
Even if >1000 bucks for a gpu weren't a huge deal for me.

We've been through this before in other threads but no they don't in a lot of cases. People who buy premium products like that often don't give a shit. They want the best and they want it now.

In this case its still the best and they have already had it for months. Hence, they wont care.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Damn, dat difference between 980TI and Titan X.

There's no reason to buy a Titan X now. Unless you need the extra ram.

I am curious to see how these two hold up with VR. Will that double VRAM help get those games runs better on VR?

Smokey

What's the state of micro-stuttering, and general frame-pacing with (dual) SLI today? How does Gsync effect it if at all?

Gsync works well with my SLI setup ( titan x sli on rog swift ). You're still adding a frame of latency no matter wat versus a single card though.

Titan X only has a slight edge to the 980 ti, but remember that the 980 ti is binned Titan Xs. Those original Titan X owners are still getting the best chips out there.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Just...fuck you Australia, seriously. $400 more expensive for NO FUCKING REASON. God I hate this country and how it gives no shits to stabilising this rampant rip off nature we suffer.

IqzgbRH.jpg

Owner of a 970 I really want this card, badly. I feel Batman Arkham Knight will need this range of hardware for max settings at 1080p.

Bullsh...

I don't need to game at higher than 60 fps.

Great card, but not for us Fractal Node 304 owners. 970 is still the best option.

jfoul

I actually think they know something about AMD Fiji that we don't. The performance of that card must be something for them to be pricing the 980ti like they are and bringing it out sooner than anticipated.

Anyway, not that I care since there's no way I'm going back to AMD anytime soon unless they make drastic changes.

Yeah, I have a gut feeling the new Radeon is going to be very good, and Nvidia knows it. I'm predicting the Radeon Fury to release at $599, at least one version of it.

Just...fuck you Australia, seriously. $400 more expensive for NO FUCKING REASON. God I hate this country and how it gives no shits to stabilising this rampant rip off nature we suffer.

$650 USD is $849.73 AUD. PCCasegear has the cards for $999 AUD, which is only $150 more. As stated in the thread, you can always import, although I'm not sure where people import from.

As I said earlier in the thread:

650 USD = 850 AUD
+10% GST because local stores include sales tax in their advertised prices = 935 AUD

It retails for 999-1050 on PCCG. So actually this is an alright translation. Long gone are the days of 1USD = 1AUD.

I think Newegg has a 15% restock fee and it's about about 35 days.

Yuck. Yeah I stopped buying from Newegg for that return policy alone. 15% restock on even new items is BS.

I imagine you can probably still get $500 for that 980 on eBay, or in the B/S/T thread

edit: Oh yeah! Totally forgot about step-up. I guess all you have to do is hope some 980 ti comes in stock at EVGA. Though quickly scanning their step-up criteria there's some warranty registration shenanigans in there

gatti-man

I actually think they know something about AMD Fiji that we don't. The performance of that card must be something for them to be pricing the 980ti like they are and bringing it out sooner than anticipated.

Anyway, not that I care since there's no way I'm going back to AMD anytime soon unless they make drastic changes.

It would have to crush the Titan x for that to be the reason but you could be right. Or they just want amd out of the enthusiast market altogether. I still think this is about pascal though.

Keep in mind that this range of card has always launched at roughly the $700 price point. Not to mention they're still on a 28nm process, one that is probably a lot less expensive to produce since they've had years doing it. I'm sure AMD has something up their sleeve but I don't really feel like this pricing is any indication of it.

Tablo

Bullsh...

I don't need to game at higher than 60 fps.

Great card, but not for us Fractal Node 304 owners. 970 is still the best option.
Wait what now, I have a Node 304 and am planning on getting this card from my 670, I really hope the Asus custom one will fit....

I didn't make a mistake getting Titan X's, I didn't make a mistake getting Titan X's, I didn't make a mistake getting Titan X's.

Honestly though, the 980ti seems like a great card.

Thorgal

Sooooo. can we now say for real that Nvidia took AMD's lunch money ?:p

seriously now :

I don't think it would be possible to have my broken 780 TI still under Warranty to be replaced by this beast by EVGA ,right ?

Alright, I have to go to bed. Is that 3 am PST time trustworthy? I don't want to set my alarm, wake up, and have nothing have gone up.

Dutcher

Neo Member
2 questions guys
1. When can we expect the Titan X new price? and what would it be?
2.Can you sli this card?
thanks

Koobion

Hoping for a price drop on regular 980s for SLI. This card is pretty sick, and I imagine it'll end up matching and surpassing the Titan X just like the 780ti did - when people start tweaking.

"Our GPU is awesome. It does 4k great! Here's a chart of how good it runs at 1600p!"

LOL yep

Edit: Then again...this card at this price is mighty tempting. Fiji must be something special to cause nVidia to suddenly have a come to Jesus moment with their normally ridiculous pricing. Ain't competition grand?

I'm going to hold out & see if AMD releases a 4GB Tonga XT card this summer. That would be the bang for the buck, efficient/cool GPU I've been jonesing for. If AMD releases only rebadges below Fiji, however, I'll likely go green for my main gaming rig. Unless Fiji comes in at the same price as the 980 Ti (I know highly unlikely)...

SmartBase

It's around 1000 dollars here, dat Australia Tax™ strikes again. Might as well import a Titan X from the states at that price.

Robert7lee

Neo Member
One thing I really hate, I have no idea who's selling these in the UK. I've ordered a Titan x which hasn't dispatched yet, been trying to get one since April and now just thinking about canceling it...I might have to wait weeks to get this card :(

Which vendor are people going for?

It's around 1000 dollars here, dat Australia Tax™ strikes again. Might as well import a Titan X from the states at that price.

That would be 1300 AUD raw, then qualify for the over 1000 threshold meaning you'd get charged 10% on top of that bringing you up to 1430 dollars. Not that far away from the 1600 that the Titan X costs here.

SmartBase

That would be 1300 AUD raw, then qualify for the over 1000 threshold meaning you'd get charged 10% on top of that bringing you up to 1430 dollars. Not that far away from the 1600 that the Titan X costs here.

Could get a friend to send one as a gift for ~1200 total, but you're right.

Could get a friend to send one as a gift for ~1200 total, but you're right.

I've done the calcs above, but basically this 980ti local pricing is not that bad of a rip off. Like it's a bit over what the conversion would be but not an extreme gouging. I've paid a hair over 900 to get it shipped from the US, but this is only like a 10% saving and it's under the tax free threshold.

Dmax3901

It's true I'm lazy... I don't wanna spend $1000 on a GPU, what's looking like the most sensible upgrade from a 3gb 7970 in the next 6 months or so?

Because reasons

The AUD and USD were roughly at parity for a couple of years, which was fantastic for importers. But our economy was artificially inflated by a mining boom which has now slowed, and the US / other countries economies were hit with financial problems. The US recovers, Australia falls, PC enthusiasts weep.

Grassy

Yeah "NO FUCKING REASON", do you expect retailers here to give them away or something? The Aussie dollar is fucked at the moment, import one if it pisses you off that much.

No one seems to give two fucks about the price anyway, the thirst is real.

untitledsbu85.jpg

duck_sauce

Hopefully with this the GTX 980 will get a price cut soon. I could start building a gaming pc again. Been on consoles since the ps3 released.

Top Bottom