• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia announces the GTX 980 Ti | $650 £550 €605

jfoul

Is there any particular reason why USA stores report the price of stuff without the taxes? Every single time I forget this and every single time I get disappointed.

Sales tax is different for each state, and some states don't pay sales tax (Ex: Oregon, Delaware). Then you have states that don't pay sales tax with companies that don't have a physical presence within the state.

Seanspeed

Banned
I can't see the next x70 basically beating out a Titan X (which 980 Ti basically is) and if it does only marginally.
I can. Major architectural change, die shrink, gen2 stacked memory.

It's a bigger change than Fermi->Kepler and we saw a major improvement there.

Hell, even the 970 already matched/beat the OG Titan and that was on the same die.

I think Pascal GPU's should be mighty.

Figured as much. Bit weird to collect sales taxes on a state level if you ask me. But that's another discussion. It's 21% here in the Netherlands. But thank god we don't live in Sweden.

It's partially because we haven't gone to the VAT system (which I finally just learned about on Wikipedia, neat!), and partially because the concept of individual states having independence in a variety of ways is fairly integral to how the Constitution is interpreted.

But yeah, it leads to silly stuff like ordering from one online vendor over another due to lower / no tax rates, since it can be a 10% difference in total cost.

HowZatOZ

Banned
If you get decent SLI scaling, 970 SLI should handily beat a single 980ti. But if you get the 980, you could then SLI that further down the line.

I think that's what a lot of people buying these cards will be thinking. Right now the 980ti on its own is a perfect card for current games, and later down the track as GPU RAM increases for PC titles SLI'ing the 980ti will be an even bigger booster.

desu

What's with the 605€ in the title? It is 740€ in Germany ;) Tax free? Because with 19% tax it would be 720€. What a bargain ...

Board partners with overclocked cards will probably be 800-850€.

Exactly, 605€ doesn't work as tax free price, or we're just getting ripped off :D.

Hayvic

It's partially because we haven't gone to the VAT system (which I finally just learned about on Wikipedia, neat!), and partially because the concept of individual states having independence in a variety of ways is fairly integral to how the Constitution is interpreted.

But yeah, it leads to silly stuff like ordering from one online vendor over another due to lower / no tax rates, since it can be a 10% difference in total cost.

I didn't know there was a difference between VAT and 'sales tax'. You learn something every day :)

jfoul

ASUS STRIX GTX 980 Ti

Additionally, ASUS also announced ROG Poseidon GTX 980 Ti, but the photos were not released yet:

“ROG Poseidon GTX 980 Ti incorporates the DirectCU H2O hybrid cooling solution with a combined vapor chamber and water channels to give users cooler temperatures along with improved noise reduction for 3x quieter performance. ASUS graphics cards are produced via exclusive Auto-Extreme technology, an industry-first 100% automated process, and feature aerospace-grade Super Alloy Power II components for unsurpassed quality and reliability. ROG Poseidon GTX 980Ti also features GPU Tweak II with XSplit Gamecaster for intuitive performance tweaks and gameplay streaming.”

I think different states have different sales taxes. In Germany it's 19% everywhere (except 7% for food, books and some other exceptions).

Figured as much. Bit weird to collect sales taxes on a state level if you ask me. But that's another discussion. It's 21% here in the Netherlands. But thank god we don't live in Sweden.

Not just different states, but different counties and cities can all have their own sales tax rates (they don't stack over each other, that'd be madness)

The tax in my town here in California s 7.75%, but one town over and it's 8%

Looks like my computer decided to kick the bucket exactly at the right time... I did not expect to hear from the 980ti so soon.

Rosur

Fuck Yeah that Twin Frozr is gonna be mine *_*

Would love that MSI one. Though can't afford to upgrade from a 970 to a 980ti. Not worth it either for 1080p Gaming I think. If I was going for 1440p then maybe.

That said my next upgrade is looking more and more like a CPU/ motherboard upgrade.

Foxyone

Doesn't seem like a bad card for 4k. It seems like if someone wanted to, they could make a lopsided 980 ti + i3 build for ~$1000 for the console experience at 4k, at the minimum.

420bits

What's with the 605€ in the title? It is 740€ in Germany ;) Tax free? Because with 19% tax it would be 720€. What a bargain ...

Board partners with overclocked cards will probably be 800-850€.

7500Sek / 800€ / 870 USD in Sweden for the regular card. I can see how the twinfrozr & similar "OC"-cards will have a pricetag of 850-1000€.

Fractal

Banned
I was thinking of replacing my old 2600K with Skylake this year, but all of a sudden I'm more tempted to replace my 780 Ti with this, since overclocked 2600K still holds up well due to fairly small performance increases with the newer CPUs.

Wanted to wait for Pascal, but the price is a tempting offer and I can cover a part of the cost by selling the 780 Ti.

i want one but would it be overkill for 1080p 60fps? i currently have a 290. i just want to be able to play games at the highest settings for as long as possible. i'm having to turn down some settings in games like GTA V/witcher 3 to get a steady 60fps.

Jimrpg

I can. Major architectural change, die shrink, gen2 stacked memory.

It's a bigger change than Fermi->Kepler and we saw a major improvement there.

Hell, even the 970 already matched/beat the OG Titan and that was on the same die.

I think Pascal GPU's should be mighty.

That's true.

There's a $700 gap there, and that would be kind of sad if Titan X was being beat by a $300 card in a year's time.

Matty8787

Having slight buyers remorse! Dropped £600 on two 970s just a month ago, waiting was an option I am just impatient haha. Oh well hope to get 4+ years at 1080p

GHG

i want one but would it be overkill for 1080p 60fps? i currently have a 290. i just want to be able to play games at the highest settings for as long as possible. i'm having to turn down some settings in games like GTA V/witcher 3 to get a steady 60fps.

There is no such thing as overkill IMO. Overkill is subjective. Look at the games you want to play and then benchmarks with this card.

If this is the only affordable solution that fits your needs then its definitely not overkill.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Has anything gone up on UK retailers yet ? I haven't spotted any 980 Ti cards on UK retailers yet or any price reductions for the 980 etc.

Codiox

If I want to build a new gaming rig, is it enough to get just 1 of those cards? Or do I need SLI today?

Sorry but I'm really long out of the pc build business.

desu

I was thinking of replacing my old 2600K with Skylake this year, but all of a sudden I'm more tempted to replace my 780 Ti with this, since overclocked 2600K still holds up well due to fairly small performance increases with the newer CPUs.

Wanted to wait for Pascal, but the price is a tempting offer and I can cover a part of the cost by selling the 780 Ti.

I have this itch to upgrade my 2600k as well, but when you look at benchmarks comparing an i7 sandy bridge with the latest haswell then you just get sad, not worth the price (new CPU/MB/RAM). GPU is the much better investment !

If I want to build a new gaming rig, is it enough to get just 1 of those cards? Or do I need SLI today?

Depends on what resolution you want to play at, what framerate you want, on which games, etc.

One of these will do for the vast majority of people, and if you decide you do need more, SLI is always an option down the road. :)

Renekton

Question... is memory bandwidth a big enough issue for games this generation that GDDR5 cards will be quickly obsolete once HBM versions come out?

lmbotiva

When are this cards gonna be up to buy? I want the msi one but there's not even a hint of when can we purchase them

Seanspeed

Banned
That's true.

There's a $700 gap there, and that would be kind of sad if Titan X was being beat by a $300 card in a year's time.
A GTX660(not even the Ti version) matched the GTX580. Ignoring that pricing was different back then, that's still a card several tiers below in the 'range' matching each other with just one generational switch.

That said, it's possible that if performance is *really* good with Pascal, they can up the price of the x70 card to $400 again. But I totally expect it will match or beat a Titan X and come with 8GB of HBM2.

There are valid options below this as well, don't forget. These are proper enthusiast cards.

riflen

I gotta wait to see what water blocks EK makes. Hope the make one for that Gigabyte card.

I doubt you'll have to wait very long. I haven't compared images thoroughly, but I fully expect the board is identical to the Titan X as far as component layout is concerned.

iceatcs

Hope my rich noob friend will sell Titan X for that new card. I could give some fault information to him.

Woke up after two hours of sleep, ordered stupid fucking card. Bed here I come, fuck twelve dollar shipping. Thanks you link people.

Top Bottom