• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia announces the GTX 980 Ti | $650 £550 €605

I'm torn.

Core I2500k overclocked, 8gb ram. Wanna play all titles at 1080p with everything on. Likely get Pascal when released. May get a 4K tv later this year.

Go for the Ti or just plain 980. Gonna use a 670 as a Physx Card also.

I couldn't help it and ordered the Gigabyte version for $650. I'll be returning my Titan X back to Bestbuy as soon as they open this morning.

I don't understand how people can just go for it when they know in just a few weeks this card will have some serious competition that could completely change the scene. I'd wait just to see if prices would drop, even if I was an Nvidia shill and would never consider an AMD card.

AP90

I don't understand how people can just go for it when they know in just a few weeks this card will have some serious competition that could completely change the scene. I'd wait just to see if prices would drop, even if I was an Nvidia shill and would never consider an AMD card.

It may be hard to get this card in a week or two due to potential supply strains.. IMO

Edit: Also brand loyalty..

Oh thank god for that 600 euro msrp

this throws a wrench into amd's awful 'fury' marketing copy of titan and the rumored insane msrp for it too.

Foxyone

I think an AMD 4GB HBM GPU could probably coexist fine at $550 with the $650 980 ti if the performance is similar; hopefully AMD doesn't make a potential mistake by charging more when Nvidia was already probably the more appealing option.

Iceternal

Can't find a retailer in France ...

But anyways ... I have a 780ti (and I'm not satisfied with it, poor price/quality ratio)

Should I upgrade for a 980ti or wait for Pascal ? ... that is the question ...

The only way I see AMD coming back strongly against such an aggressive price is if the new 39x series card has performance that is 2x or 2.5x more than 980ti, while only being $100 more. Anything less will favor the 980 Ti as Nvidia has a history of good driver support, which won't change with the 39x release

PCComponentes.es have several for less than 400.

Yeah, just read them now.

Saw two interesting gigabyte ones at different prices
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 Gaming G1 WindForce OC 4GB GDDR5
for 384 euros.

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 WindForce 3X OC 4GB DDR5
for 364 euros.

What are the major differences between this two?

The only way I see AMD coming back strongly against such an aggressive price is if the new 39x series card has performance that is 2x or 2.5x more than 980ti, while only being $100 more. Anything less will favor the 980 Ti as Nvidia has a history of good driver support, which won't change with the 39x release

Historically $649 is anything but aggressive pricing. It only seems reasonable compared against Titan X. Even the 980 is a fairly bad deal compared to the 970.

2x or 2.5x the performance of a 980Ti for $100 more would literally explode the Internet, so I'm not quite sure what you're thinking there.

If we're being realistic here, I can see Fiji being maybe 10-20% faster than 980Ti/TX for around the same price. That would probably be a new high when it comes to pricing AMD GPUs, I don't think they've gone above $549 before. This time they do have a very large chip with new memory tech and an AIO cooler so it does make sense it'll end up fairly expensive.

Retailers in mainland Europe are taking advantage of the craze pushing absurd prices.

I've seen listings as high as 1200 swiss francs (around 1200 euros).

Lowest I've seen in my country is 712 chf (689 euros) for a Zotac reference card.

Arc07

Where are you?! :(
E77bG5q.jpg

DBT85

Lol. OCUK did as expected. Cheapest is their own reference version at £540. Cheapest non ref is £600.

matmanx1

I'm waiting on the new AMD stuff before I make a decision. I've got a barely played copy of The Witcher 3 waiting on my SSD to jump in to but I need a GPU upgrade before I do so. I'm still running a Radeon 6970 at this point that is over 4 years old. It's the longest I've ever kept a GPU but it is definitely time to move on.

It's tough to be patient but it doesn't make sense to buy a card before all of the new options are known. At least I've still got Bloodborne to hold me over.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like some gtx 980 cards have dropped to around £400 on Scan as well (with of course some others costing more than that)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
OCUK prices don't seem too bad. Some non-reference for £599, others like the MSI gamer for £575. I don't think anyone expected non-reference to be £550.

Top Bottom