• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia announces the GTX 980 Ti | $650 £550 €605

dr_rus

The G1 is clocked slightly higher about 60Mhz more than the Windforce 3X. Core Clock on the Windforce is 1114 Mhz to G1's 1178 Mhz.

I'd probably get the Windforce and overlock that 60Mhz yourself.

Gaming Mode – GPU Boost Clock : 1329 MHz, GPU Base Clock : 1178 MHz
Gaming Mode – GPU Boost Clock : 1253 MHz, GPU Base Clock : 1114 MHz

More important than base clocks.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Why do graphics cards have to look so damn tacky?

Because while gaming, who has time to look at them? :D

That said, not all of them look tacky!

690_specs_650.png

Damn was this card quite the site out of the box!

finalflame

I'm in the same boat, probably going to just buy another 970, hoping the prices will drop.

Not a great idea. SLi, while great for performance gains, often breaks or does not work properly/has its own slew of issues, especially in a day and age where PC ports are mostly unoptimized and half-assed.

I'm saying this owning a pair of SLi 980s myself. I'd say go for the fastest single card you can afford (980Ti), and add a second one later as a bonus. You always want to be be OK if you were to need to drop down to just a single card.

TMONSTER

I'm seeing multiple reviews that say wait for AMD's card since it might drive the price of the 980 ti down. Is there any precedence for this happening with previous generations?

The Geforce GTX 280 launched at $650 and a couple weeks later AMD released the very competitive 4870 at $299. Nvidia was forced to drop to $499 and issued partial refunds to early adopters.

Mifec

Gonna sell my 780ti and get this in October. Hopefully it's compatible with an accelero xtreme IV since it's vastly superior to all the aftermarket solutions. It's also proportionately uglier but whatever. 60 celsius under full load oc-ed and no sound is a sacrifice I can make.

Not a great idea. SLi, while great for performance gains, often breaks or does not work properly/has its own slew of issues, especially in a day and age where PC ports are mostly unoptimized and half-assed.

I'm saying this owning a pair of SLi 980s myself. I'd say go for the fastest single card you can afford (980Ti), and add a second one later as a bonus. You always want to be be OK if you were to need to drop down to just a single card.

I can't justify £600 for a single card when I can SLI for £500, I all ready have a 970 so that's one less thing to worry about selling it to buy a 980Ti.

Mohonky

$AUD999 on PC Case Gear.

All sold out already.

Saw this and laughed.

I dont get these upper end cards. It'll be marginally faster than next years cards that will come in around half the price.

I get it if PC gaming is your main thing and hobby and you have to have 4K gaming now but for me I usually stop at around the X70 range of card. Its a decent price point for a card that'll last out a generation. The X80 and above cards are just too much for me to consider, its for the here and now absolute best performance but you end up paying extra money for that experience when in the long run the performance gains just dont justify the price.

finalflame

I can't justify £600 for a single card when I can SLI for £500, I all ready have a 970 so that's one less thing to worry about selling it to buy a 980Ti.

Well then, why even ask? Just be prepared to deal with the fact that there will be plenty of new games with broken, suboptimal, or nonexistent SLi support at launch or even well into their lifetime. If that doesn't bother you, or you are fine with the performance afforded by a single 970 if it comes down to it, then you're good.

Well then, why even ask? Just be prepared to deal with the fact that there will be plenty of new games with broken, suboptimal, or nonexistent SLi support at launch or even well into their lifetime. If that doesn't bother you, or you are fine with the performance afforded by a single 970 if it comes down to it, then you're good.

Lol ok bud.

Yeah plus you can always buy a SLI motherboard (not much more expensive) and put a good enough PSU in there to add a new card later if you need it. who know various DirectX12 enhancement may end up dual or more care works more seamlessly

thats my recommendation to anyone buying a new PC

Jimrpg

Saw this and laughed.

I dont get these upper end cards. It'll be marginally faster than next years cards that will come in around half the price.

I get it if PC gaming is your main thing and hobby and you have to have 4K gaming now but for me I usually stop at around the X70 range of card. Its a decent price point for a card that'll last out a generation. The X80 and above cards are just too much for me to consider, its for the here and now absolute best performance but you end up paying extra money for that experience when in the long run the performance gains just dont justify the price.

My theory is to see what games are coming out and trying to justify the purchase that way. If there's lots of games that need that extra horsepower then the card is worth it. But there's no reason to get one if there aren't any games that use that extra performance.

Anyone with a 970 or 980 will probably want to wait until AMD releases their cards. Who knows maybe you want the AMD card, or perhaps performance is surprisingly good and/or price surprises. Nvidia already set their price, AMD may end up cutting prices versus prior plans.

In addition, it looks like better coolers will allow the 980 Ti to be clocked pretty high since its already a relatively low power/low heat (given its performance)

x3sphere

Kind if regret buying my Titan X so recently now. This is basically the same card at half the price.

Nearly all reviews tested at higher boost clocks on the Ti which makes it look better. Nvidia made the boost profile more aggressive -

Well, kinda. You see, Nvidia has further tuned the GM200 GPU on the 980 Ti, and it expects slighty higher operating clock speeds (~20Hz out of ~1000MHz) as a result. So the difference between the first run of Titan X cards and this newcomer is even smaller in practice than the specs sheet suggests.
http://techreport.com/review/28356/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-ti-graphics-card-reviewed

Sure the 980 Ti is a better buy but OC to OC there's going to be a notable difference. You always pay an extra tax to own the fastest GPU ... 980 was 10% faster than 970 for $200 more.

Jimrpg

Anyone with a 970 or 980 will probably want to wait until AMD releases their cards. Who knows maybe you want the AMD card, or perhaps performance is surprisingly good and/or price surprises. Nvidia already set their price, AMD may end up cutting prices versus prior plans.

In addition, it looks like better coolers will allow the 980 Ti to be clocked pretty high since its already a relatively low power/low heat (given its performance)

If you have a G-Sync monitor its hard to go to AMD. Nvidia locked me up good.

So with Pascal coming out next year, does that mean there are no 10xx series Maxwell cards coming out this year? Seems like a long gap to the next 9xx series successors.

finalflame

For anyone trying to get one, they are back in stock currently at nVidia.com. I am tempted to go for 2, but I will be patient and see what AMD brings out. They're either shitting themselves right now, or have something good to announce. Let's see.

Sauce89

Neo Member
I can't find any 980 Ti on Amazon and newegg only has the Zotac available (not familiar with this brand) anyone having luck anywhere besides Nvidia?

Just started a step-up process with EVGA to trade in my GTX 980 SC for one of these beasts. I couldn't wait any longer to play Witcher 3 at 60 fps and bought a 980 over the weekend. Thank goodness for the Step-up program.

I can't find any 980 Ti on Amazon and newegg only has the Zotac available (not familiar with this brand) anyone having luck anywhere besides Nvidia?

I ordered a Zotac 980 before I got my MSI 970, pictures showed a reference card but what turned up looked like a chinese knock off plastic version that said Zotac all over it lol. This was from amazon.

Xtyle

decided to check on newegg this morning for 980 ti...and saw all the out of stock ti...omg, I wish I had been there in time.

RiverBed

Banned
Noob question: how's the DX12 support for this card? I want it, but I worry when Windows 10 and DX12 launch in a few months, previously launched cards won't be 'fully' DX12 feature-rich. Should I bite or wait?

Top Bottom