• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia announces the GTX 980 Ti | $650 £550 €605

I get the impression that a lot of the people that purchased this card seriously regret it. Either that or I'm misreading these kinds of comments. lol
Aside from the Witcher 3, my 780ti is still doing amazingly well. I don't regret mine.

Not stopping me from getting a 980 ti. Only online availability is stopping that :(

thelastword

Banned
I'm just not impressed with the strides being made in the GPU market. We just pay wads and wads of cash for small advancements in GPU performance. I'm seeing the numbers are getting larger on tech sheets, 384bit memory, almost 200 tfr, 7.0Gbps memory clock, but the performance in games are not that impressive.

This card is landing in 2015 and it's barely running Crysis 3 over 30fps at max settings, not even at 4k even, just 2560*1600. Metro, Watch Dogs, Sniper Elite, Hitman Absolution,(hell even DA.I, Far Cry 4), Tomb Raider. All these games are running under 60fps on a new card. I just can't understand how anyone can justify $650 for these measly returns. I'm sure the card after this one still won't run Crysis 3 at 60, I really believe the GPU market is stifled, as people are willing to pay for these non substantial upgrades every year.

I'm just not impressed with the strides being made in the GPU market. We just pay wads and wads of cash for small advancements in GPU performance. I'm seeing the numbers are getting larger on tech sheets, 384bit memory, almost 200 tfr, 7.0Gbps memory clock, but the performance in games are not that impressive.

This card is landing in 2015 and it's barely running Crysis 3 over 30fps at max settings, not even at 4k even, just 2560*1600. Metro, Watch Dogs, Sniper Elite, Hitman Absolution,(hell even DA.I, Far Cry 4), Tomb Raider. All these games are running under 60fps on a new card. I just can't understand how anyone can justify $650 for these measly returns. I'm sure the card after this one still won't run Crysis 3 at 60, I really believe the GPU market is stifled, as people are willing to pay for these non substantial upgrades every year.

Did you even look at the settings those games were running? 2560*1600 with MSAA for example.

Edit: actually the settings used might not be clear if you looked at those benches in the OP, but they are probably using MSAA. You could probably run Hitman at 4K 60fps with this card as long as you dropped MSAA.

Randam

If I saw kepler in the streets I would stab it

zumnachdenken18ugd.jpg
og titan vs 285/960 :D

performence got better about 12% with the newest drivers though.

mkenyon

Banned
I get the impression that a lot of the people that purchased this card seriously regret it. Either that or I'm misreading these kinds of comments. lol
Still love mine. Granted it's a Kingpin Classified OC'd to 980 levels. But still, it pushes frames out under 9ms easy on my RoG Swift.

jimmypop

Banned
Still love mine. Granted it's a Kingpin Classified OC'd to 980 levels. But still, it pushes frames out under 9ms easy on my RoG Swift.

This. My SLI 780 Ti setup isn't dead to me yet, but I bet I won't have any regrets in moving to the 2x980 Ti setup.

mkenyon

Banned
Normally I would agree bro, really I would, but I would rather drop some settings this time round than pay the money they are asking.

I don't really want to upgrade again until we have a single gpu card that can do 4k at 60fps or at the very least 1440p 60 fps in the newest titles.

If I didn't own the 980 I would jump on this but I do and I just can't justify it not with that small performance increase.

However...if Batman does not run at 1080/60fps max settings I might have to reconsider.
You don't have to run games at Ultra :p

b0bbyJ03

Easily the worst upgrade I have ever made.

why do you say that? When I look at Kepler performance on Witcher 3 it makes me upset even tho I don't own one anymore. I wonder what is happening there. Kind of scares me a bit as to what is going to happen to my performance when Pascal is released

spicy cho

Well I just joined the club and grabbed the SC 2.0 EVGA card off ncix... Never spent that much on a part, but the 6970 I'm using that sounds like a jet engine and hits 90-92 deg under load has long outstayed its welcome. I'm finally going to be able to max things at 2560x1600, very excited.

Godan

Started the step up offer that EVGA do for this. Only had my 980 like 3 weeks as well but will be worth it.

The biggest thing pushing me towards considering getting 2 of these is the fact that there will never be a 1080p GSync IPS monitor. I've been reluctant to go for a 1440p monitor but 2 of these should give me the boost over my 970s to comfortable increased the resolution without making many sacrifices.

Ugh, I should stay away from this thread.

b0bbyJ03

Lots of people prefer the effect of 120/144Hz over better IQ. I'll take fluid animation over bullshot quality any day.

the problem with some ports is that they don't scale well at all... I've got a 980 and I remember in Assassin's Creed unity (this was at launch, it may be all patched up now) I couldn't get a solid 60fps even with everything on low. Some games are just fucked and people have to brute force their way past that shit (I'm not one of those people, I just get mad at the dev, lol). The differences in that game between Ultra and low were not that big. I hate it when games are released with shitty scaling.

eso76

605€ is a great price.

I believe this is the kind of gpu you should be looking at for semi proper Oculus nirvana.

How would 2 970's fare against this though ?

I've got a 980 and I remember in Assassin's Creed unity (this was at launch, it may be all patched up now) I couldn't get a solid 60fps even with everything on low.

You sure the CPU wasn't to blame ?

thelastword

Banned
That's how I feel as well, normally I am first on board the upgrade train, I have the cash to get one, I would jump in feet first but I can no longer justify the small advancements, I think we would be seeing much bigger jumps if we all stopped upgrading so fast the second we hear about a new card.

Obviously I have no problem with people upgrading but I won't be doing it again until I see something substantial.

As it stands right now it works out (in the UK) at £100 per 10 fps....I am not going to pay that kind of money even if I was a multimillionaire I would not pay that sort of money, it's daylight robbery.
This is such a mess, you have cards that costs more that runs your games worse, you have a $1300 Titan X going toe to toe with this new $650 card which is too expensive itself and not worth it. I'm building a new PC later on this year, but I'm even re-thinking this or I might go AMD. The price to performance ratio and all the inconsistencies with price vs performance leaves a very sour taste in my mouth.

@Janitor

Isn't that a 16:10 aspect ratio of 2560*1600, you know how long monitors have supported that resolution for GPU's? There are Crt's that were at that resolution. It's a shame that these cards can't run these games at max with MSAA, you realize how much you're paying for just that? Are you paying for a card $700 to $1300 to run medium/high settings or no AA? If I buy a top of the line card now, I expect to run all these games at max at 60fps. If I can't it's a waste of money, I haven't seen any substantial leap in GPU performance for ages now, everything seems to be a few fps here and there. Where is the technology that shows 5-10 times the performance of prior cards?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
The biggest thing pushing me towards considering getting 2 of these is the fact that there will never be a 1080p GSync IPS monitor. I've been reluctant to go for a 1440p monitor but 2 of these should give me the boost over my 970s to comfortable increased the resolution without making many sacrifices.

Ugh, I should stay away from this thread.

Hey, someone in the same boat as me!

Right now, my main game is FFXIV. However, with the expansion coming and the new DX11 client, I'm really wondering what kind of performance I will see with my twin 970s. The benchmark results are fine, but if they are like the previous benchmarks, it's not a great indicator of performance in actual game.

I'm running with a 1440p ASUS ROG Swift and I want this shit to look the best I can get it to look. Hell, I would buy a 4k monitor if SE would fix UI and text scaling in the damn game... so, I'm thinking about the cards (for other games too of course) and I just don't know. =/

J-Rzez

Noob question: how's the DX12 support for this card? I want it, but I worry when Windows 10 and DX12 launch in a few months, previously launched cards won't be 'fully' DX12 feature-rich. Should I bite or wait?

I'd wait it out for not just this reason, but also we're near the biggest changes in gpu's in a while with HBM and possibly process. Hang on and see how "Fiji" turns out first, then research a little into pascal.

If you're building a new rig today, then yes, the 980Ti is the way to go. If you're just upgrading or looking for a reason to upgrade, hang on a little while and see how this plays out.

I have a 780 Amp edition card and it's still serving me well. That said, I have that itch, but I'm waiting it out. New gen of card, new monitor, new accessory (Rift), and well, new everything to me. Should feel like a true PC gaming generational jump for me then. :)

kikonawa

Man thosr highend gpus are just waste of money on a cost effective way(my own opinion). Im probably getting too old to understand why people buy 2000€ computers to run some games on ultra 1440p resolution.. money to burn? Satisfy your e-penis?

AlterOdin

Bought! EVGA SC+!. But estimated delivery date 12. :(

Probably been asked before, but when is Fiji revealed? Just wondering if I have the option to cancel, if Fiji blows the TI out of the water (ie before the 12?)

spannicus

Man thosr highend gpus are just waste of money on a cost effective way(my own opinion). Im probably getting too old to understand why people buy 2000€ computers to run some games on ultra 1440p resolution.. money to burn? Satisfy your e-penis?
Lol moneys made to be spent. If all the bills are paid I don't see why not. This being my first build figured I'd get the newest model.

Caayn

Bought! EVGA SC+!. But estimated delivery date 12. :(

Probably been asked before, but when is Fiji revealed? Just wondering if I have the option to cancel, if Fiji blows the TI out of the water (ie before the 12?)
Probably will be announced during the pc E3 conference on the 16th.

b0bbyJ03

605€ is a great price.

I believe this is the kind of gpu you should be looking at for semi proper Oculus nirvana.

How would 2 970's fare against this though ?

You sure the CPU wasn't to blame ?

3770K OC'd to 4.3 so it shouldn't have been.

finalflame

Because it's a hobby. Why do people spend $10k on aquariums? Pay $20k for a bicycle? Drop thousands of dollars on piece of paper (MTG)?

But you can just come into a thread specifically about an enthusiast cards, on a forum dedicated to gaming enthusiasts, and just be condescending with zero effort to try and understand why people like the things they do or choose to spend their money however they please.

Top Bottom