• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia announces the GTX 980 Ti | $650 £550 €605

Mohonky

My theory is to see what games are coming out and trying to justify the purchase that way. If there's lots of games that need that extra horsepower then the card is worth it. But there's no reason to get one if there aren't any games that use that extra performance.

Thats it is there anything that is going to tax these cards right now except for aiming for 4k at over 60fps? By the time anything comes out to really make these things sweat we'll be onto a whole new line.

Buying a video card seems a bit weird at the moment, AMD have a new approach with the stacked ram coming, so if that turns out to be the way to go in the future that outs these cards at something of a stop gap in between the introduction of new technology coming. We also haven't really seen many games on the big next gen engines have we? Then there is DX12 hardware features?

Thought about an upgrade to the 970 recently but theres a few too many things happening right now for me to jump in, woukd rather wait and see how things pan out while my 670 continues to push shit up a hill lol. That card has been good to me.

Just started a step-up process with EVGA to trade in my GTX 980 SC for one of these beasts. I couldn't wait any longer to play Witcher 3 at 60 fps and bought a 980 over the weekend. Thank goodness for the Step-up program.

Same here!! I had to buy the $30 Extended Warranty though since mine was over 14 days. I'm hoping for a good experience with this through Step Up! I'm not expecting anything within a month but I think I can open my 980 safely now and use it while waiting :D

CSJ

Must not get, must not get.
Finding SOME games at 1440p on a single 970 can be lower fps than I'd like, still acceptable; I would say a 144hz monitor sort of makes me want to keep higher fps :p

Also on g-sync so need to stay team green.

Zaph

Wow, glad I ordered earlier. Just got home and saw Scan have raised the price on the EVGA Superlocked non-reference

dr_rus

Noob question: how's the DX12 support for this card? I want it, but I worry when Windows 10 and DX12 launch in a few months, previously launched cards won't be 'fully' DX12 feature-rich. Should I bite or wait?

FeaureTiers_575px.png

Maxwell 2 support all features of DX12 although not all of them to their highest tiers. This has been known for some time.

Same here!! I had to buy the $30 Extended Warranty though since mine was over 14 days. I'm hoping for a good experience with this through Step Up! I'm not expecting anything within a month but I think I can open my 980 safely now and use it while waiting :D

Why'd you have to buy the extended warranty? It doesn't transfer over to the new card. Were you outside the 90 day window? I'd ask for a refund on that if possible.

The step-up program has some shenanigans if you don't register your product within 14 days. Have to buy that warranty outside of the 14 days but within the 90 of owning it.

Is it better to go for the SC+ version or to go for Classified?

Or just go reference and OC it myself?

The only real benefit of factory OC is that they're guaranteed to be OC'd already. If you go reference you sort of play the chip lottery. On the flipside there's also a chance that your reference card could OC better than the SC version.

Jimrpg

Thats it is there anything that is going to tax these cards right now except for aiming for 4k at over 60fps? By the time anything comes out to really make these things sweat we'll be onto a whole new line.

Buying a video card seems a bit weird at the moment, AMD have a new approach with the stacked ram coming, so if that turns out to be the way to go in the future that outs these cards at something of a stop gap in between the introduction of new technology coming. We also haven't really seen many games on the big next gen engines have we? Then there is DX12 hardware features?

Thought about an upgrade to the 970 recently but theres a few too many things happening right now for me to jump in, woukd rather wait and see how things pan out while my 670 continues to push shit up a hill lol. That card has been good to me.

In terms of 4k 60fps you'll probably need a GTX 980 ti for Batman Arkham Knight, Phantom Pain, Just Cause 3, Assassin's Creed Syndicate, Call of Duty Black Ops 3. If you get all of them thats not a bad upgrade, if its just a couple of games maybe not as much.

A 670 to 980 ti is a great upgrade though.

The only real benefit of factory OC is that they're guaranteed to be OC'd already. If you go reference you sort of play the chip lottery. On the flipside there's also a chance that your reference card could OC better than the SC version.
That's what I figured. Not sure what to go with. Haven't really OC'd before which is why I went with the 780ti OC back then.

What's the difference between the their Classified version compared to the reference/OC ones?

dr_rus

So the 980ti won't have the max capabilities of DX12?

Depends on what you mean by 'max capabilities'. Maxwell 2 support feature level 12_1 which is what DX12 is providing as a maximum set of capabilities right now. At the same time Maxwell 2 does not support highest tiers of several DX12 features but these tiers are not required anywhere in the specs and are completely optional.

Maxwell 2 is the highest level of DX12 support in h/w we have at the moment.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
Meh. I just got my 980 two months ago. I don't think it's too bad holding onto a 980, anyway, considering I only play in 1080p, so it should be fine for the foreseeable future.

Xyber

The next generation from Nvidia will also have stacked VRAM, so that is where we are heading right now.

Jimrpg

Must not get, must not get.
Finding SOME games at 1440p on a single 970 can be lower fps than I'd like, still acceptable; I would say a 144hz monitor sort of makes me want to keep higher fps :p

Also on g-sync so need to stay team green.

I'm in the same position, already at high settings (second highest) across the board for Witcher 3 and GTA V to keep it above 60fps... I don't really want to go medium settings. I think I can hold out a bit longer.

At the same time anything above 90fps I can't really tell the difference so its wasted performance anyway.

In terms of 4k 60fps you'll probably need a GTX 980 ti for Batman Arkham Knight, Phantom Pain, Just Cause 3, Assassin's Creed Syndicate, Call of Duty Black Ops 3. If you get all of them thats not a bad upgrade, if its just a couple of games maybe not as much.

A 670 to 980 ti is a great upgrade though.

Except I really doubt you're going to be playing many of those games at 4k/60FPS with a 980Ti unless you're dialing down settings by a good amount. We still are living in a world where an SLI configuration is pretty much required to run cutting edge games at maxxed settings @ 4K/60FPS.

mkenyon

Banned
Just ordered my new PC, there goes my salary.

AjbmVj3.png

/YOLO
I know this is kind of asking a lot, but please do report back on that motherboard. That's literally the setup I've been going back and forth on for like 3-4 months now. Either PM me or maybe post in the PC thread. I'd so very much appreciate it.
20fps is a pretty decent leap.
That's so strange to measure the difference like that.

Caayn

Was going to sell my 980 and put the money towards this but I don't see the value in doing so, the performance gap isn't big enough to justify it.
I did that, got €450 for my 980 with a ACX2.0 cooler. Now I sit without a card, waiting on shops to update their stock and adjust their prices to normal :(

I know this is kind of asking a lot, but please do report back on that motherboard. That's literally the setup I've been going back and forth on for like 3-4 months now. Either PM me or maybe post in the PC thread. I'd so very much appreciate it.

Sure no problem, but it'll probably be a while since some of the stuff was out of stock when I ordered.

Depends on what you mean by 'max capabilities'. Maxwell 2 support feature level 12_1 which is what DX12 is providing as a maximum set of capabilities right now. At the same time Maxwell 2 does not support highest tiers of several DX12 features but these tiers are not required anywhere in the specs and are completely optional.

Maxwell 2 is the highest level of DX12 support in h/w we have at the moment.
Gotcha. Thanks for the info.

Deadstar

They're dead easy to install because they're all in one designs. I'm waiting on this card myself before pulling the trigger.

Was watching a youtube video and the water pump made a nasty buzz sound. Is that normal? I've never had a water cooled solution.

Top Bottom