• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia announces the GTX 980 Ti | $650 £550 €605

mkenyon

Banned
I have a midtower...is it alright for the blower model?
Yeah, fine. It'll just be louder/hotter than the ACX model.

And as a slight change to Zoonami's post, I'd say

Blower for tight SLI spacing and specific ITX cases.

Non reference designs (like ACX) for single cards or generous SLI spacing.

pswii60

Man thosr highend gpus are just waste of money on a cost effective way(my own opinion). Im probably getting too old to understand why people buy 2000€ computers to run some games on ultra 1440p resolution.. money to burn? Satisfy your e-penis?
Enthusiasts. It's a hobby.

molnizzle

Is the improved IQ perceptible from the average TV-sitting distance when downsampling? This sounds super interesting as I like to sometimes play on my TV vs. my 1440p monitor.

That'll depend on the physical size (pixel density) of your TV. On my 50" plasma, yes it is. At 32" or 40" probably not.

By the way, word to those who care and have Titan X's and are thinking of trading in.

A very special game in my heart uses up to 5.5 Gigs of VRAM at 1080p even though the game is missing numerous rendering features and has entire assets with missing textures.
starcitizen_2015_06_0nxy2b.png
And it goes above 6 Gigs at 4K...

Be weaaaaaaaaryyyyyyy!

Kaako

Felium Defensor
By the way, word to those who care and have Titan X's and are thinking of trading in.

A very special game in my heart uses up to 5.5 Gigs of VRAM at 1080p even though the game is missing numerous rendering features and has entire assets with missing textures.

Be weaaaaaaaaryyyyyyy!
When that game is finally out, we'll have 32GB stacked HBM GPUs to help out. ;)
Can't fucking wait!

GamingArena

Be weaaaaaaaaryyyyyyy!

Why would anyone want to trade TitanX for 980Ti?
that trade would save you max $200 after selling titan at used price.

For $200 i would imagine any sane person will stay With Titan X

The savings really add up if you want to go SLI though. If you want more power and have a Single TitanX, you have the option of buying another TitanX OR selling your TitanX and buying 2 980 TIs. The latter is pretty tempting.

J-Rzez

Man thosr highend gpus are just waste of money on a cost effective way(my own opinion). Im probably getting too old to understand why people buy 2000€ computers to run some games on ultra 1440p resolution.. money to burn? Satisfy your e-penis?

Because it looks and plays better when you have a rig to do so. And because, why not?

And 1440p is not "Ultra", that's 2160p. Lol, 1440p... like this is 2013 or something. :p

Next year with the first real progression in videocards in a while, DX12, win10, proper SLI/Xfire utilization, Rift, 2160 gaming... it's going to feel like a true "next-gen" experience.

mkenyon

Banned
Cause it's awesome.

Need more non-ref's. Where the G1 or ROG at? Hopefully don't have to wait a few more weeks before all of those are out, but maybe we do

Yeah I was up at 3 am, saw there were only eVGAs, waited about an hour, and went to bed. I want ASUS STRIX or Gigabyte G1, not this eVGA crap. I've had bad experiences with eVGA in the past.

Yeah I was up at 3 am, saw there were only eVGAs, waited about an hour, and went to bed. I want ASUS STRIX or Gigabyte G1, not this eVGA crap. I've had bad experiences with eVGA in the past.

O_O

In my experience, EVGA has always been a very solid brand. I've never had a single problem, and as such they're my go-to brand of cards. Not to mention that you get that sweet transferable warranty if you buy them used.

mkenyon

Banned
Well... glad I got my ROG 980 in January I guess? Anyone know how this compares to the ROG Matrix Platinum?
You have about 8% increased performance versus a reference 980 if you haven't overclocked your card.

But, if you haven't overclocked your card, then you should probably do that.
O_O

In my experience, EVGA has always been a very solid brand. I've never had a single problem, and as such they're my go-to brand of cards. Not to mention that you get that sweet transferable warranty if you buy them used.
Gigabyte, ASUS, and MSI also offer a warranty based on Serial #. They actually pushed EVGA towards doing that, as that was not the case until a few years ago. Those are definitely the four brands to buy when looking at NVIDIA cards.

x3sphere

Seen a few people actually doing this on other forums. I don't get the logic. Probably people that aren't used to high end GPU pricing or overspent, I dunno. Yeah you'll save $200 or so , but you give up 5-8% performance, and half the VRAM. With the hit you take on reselling the Ti would end up close to the same price/performance as the TX, not to mention time spent on swapping GPUs etc.

There's also the possibility that Fiji could push down prices even more, so don't know why someone would swap for the Ti so quickly.

SLI it may make sense but I'd nab a used TX instead, seen a couple go for $800 on eBay.

EVGA is probably the most solid and reputable brand for videocards out there, IMO. Never had any issue myself, and I've never heard anything but praise for them.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR

Be weaaaaaaaaryyyyyyy!

well looks like I am solid with my resolve lol.
keeping my shit

I have in my entire life of buying GPUs for man rigs, only had good experiences with EVGA. In fact, I talked with their representatives for hours on the phone and even about casual conversational topics. It is a very friendly company regarding returns, RMA, and customer / technical service.

A shame about Precision being what it is. But for all that, we have the glory that is afterburner!

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
I have in my entire life of buying GPUs for man rigs, only had good experiences with EVGA. In fact, I talked with their representatives for hours on the phone and even about casual conversational topics. It is a very friendly company regarding returns, RMA, and customer / technical service.

A shame about Precision being what it is. But for all that, we have the glory that is afterburner!

yeah I prefer the EVGA and than MSI after that

with the card having 6 GB of VRAM will I be bottlenecked having 8 GB of RAM with my system?

I had read that around (it was referring to SLI titans specifically) so i'm just making sure

J-Rzez

I've had 2 eVGAs die on me. Maybe it's just bad luck. I'm not concerned, there will eventually be ASUS and Gigabyte cards for me to buy.

Probably bad luck. I to this day never had a single eVGA card die on me, no fan issues either. That said, they have one of the best warranties in the business as well. Had nothing but good luck with them and Zotac. I read about the 970's fans, probably a bad batch from a supplier I suppose.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

Be weaaaaaaaaryyyyyyy!

Star Citizen?

mkenyon

Banned

I'd really prefer if statements like this could be more specific. At what texture settings? AA level? That sort of thing.

Star Citizen doesn't even cap out my 780 Ti's 3GB VRAM at 1440p. Cause I turn things down.

As it is, to someone who is a total amateur, they'll see statements like that and not even think about the fact that they can turn down settings. It seems natural to assume that people do, but I've seen shit like this just get repeated as fact. I mean, look at all the people that just parrot things about IPS monitors for a great example. Then they make an objectively bad consumer purchase, despite your good intentions of advising them about a possible downfall with their current setup.

I know you have good in your heart, but specificity is super important when it comes to consumer advice.

gatti-man

Be weaaaaaaaaryyyyyyy!
All the more reason to wait and not buy now.

I'd really prefer if statements like this could be more specific. At what texture settings? AA level? That sort of thing.

Star Citizen doesn't even cap out my 780 Ti's 3GB VRAM at 1440p. Cause I turn things down.

the game doesn't have AA settings yet (other features missing too) .. so most likely Very High at 1080p.

Jus normal SMAA1x (the default) and the Very high settings in the menu at 1920X1080.

The second shot is at 4K with the same Cvar values above.
As it is, to someone who is a total amateur, they'll see statements like that and not even think about the fact that they can turn down settings. It seems natural to assume that people do, but I've seen shit like this just get repeated as fact. I mean, look at all the people that just parrot things about IPS monitors for a great example. Then they make an objectively bad consumer purchase, despite your good intentions of advising them about a possible downfall with their current setup.

I know you have good in your heart, but specificity is super important when it comes to consumer advice.
I targeted my comment at people with a Titan X looking to go to a 980 Ti (even wrote it in there!). I did try and preface it well I think. But you have a good point, people read posts like mine and probaly think a whole host of things I should probably account for.

For those considering the reference blower design, the Techpowerup review indicates the following as a con:

-Runs into the 84°C temperature limit very quickly

The dynamic overclocking feature results in the card throttling its boost clock one temps reach the limit (84°C).
Anyway, I'd suggest reading the review. It is thorough as usual. They have a lot of great things to say about the gpu, but temps are certainly a shortcoming. Non-reference cooling designs will likely perform better with regard to temperature.

That is definitely a competitive price. Might finally have a card (and other versions of this release) for me to revive my desktop with, as it's been sitting silently below my desk while the GTX 680m in my laptop has been handling my gaming, video editing, and visual effects work.

Two 980 Ti hands down. Most new games these days work quite well with SLI.
Two 980Ti's in SLI would absolutely decimate a single Titan X.
The one and only!

In all the games that support good SLI profiles, the 980 Tis by a good good deal. To the point where 4K 60 is semi realistic in a number of titles.
Thanks guys! If a game doesn't support/work well with SLI can you disable it without having to take one of the cards out?

I've never SLI'd before if you couldn't tell heh.

Caayn

For those considering the reference blower design, the Techpowerup review indicates the following as a con:

-Runs into the 84°C temperature limit very quickly

The dynamic overclocking feature results in the card throttling its boost clock one temps reach the limit (84°C).
Anyway, I'd suggest reading the review. It is thorough as usual. They have a lot of great things to say about the gpu, but temps are certainly a shortcoming. Non-reference cooling designs will likely perform better with regard to temperature.
Isn't it exactly the same cooler, with a different colour scheme, as the we see on the Titan X? If so, what are the experiences with that from owners who have it?

Top Bottom