• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia announces the GTX 980 Ti | $650 £550 €605

mkenyon

Banned
With this kind of SLI spacing, would a reference blower cooler be better or a non-reference cooler?

Edit: Post above may have just answered that question. Hmmmmmmm... Still thinking about this whole upgrade.
Non reference 100% without a doubt. I'd only buy the reference when doing SLI on mATX or 3 Way SLI on ATX.
Thanks guys! If a game doesn't support/work well with SLI can you disable it without having to take one of the cards out?

I've never SLI'd before if you couldn't tell heh.
Yep, you can disable SLI while having both cards in there, no prob.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Why is the UK price so high? Euro rate is weak right now, so €600 is £430. And Europe includes VAT. So where the hell does £550 come from? That's €765, €150 more than MSRP.

Which manufacturers have Europe wide warranties? UK GAF should consider importing from Europe.

Why is the UK price so high? Euro rate is weak right now, so €600 is £430. And Europe includes VAT. So where the hell does £550 come from? That's €765, €150 more than MSRP.

Which manufacturers have Europe wide warranties? UK GAF should consider importing from Europe.

In mainland Europe it sells for around 720/750.

Same as always, we get fucked sideways.

Robert7lee

Neo Member
I Just cancelled my Titan x order and Ordered the msi 980 ti with reference blower, I hope I don't regret this. Upgrading from the 6gb original Titan card.

It's the only one I could find which was actually in stock.

napata

Jus normal SMAA1x (the default) and the Very high settings in the menu at 1920X1080.

The second shot is at 4K with the same Cvar values above.

I targeted my comment at people with a Titan X looking to go to a 980 Ti (even wrote it in there!). I did try and preface it well I think. But you have a good point, people read posts like mine and probaly think a whole host of things I should probably account for.

Cryengine 3 caches VRAM so the 5.5 gb number is useless in regards to how much it really needs. It's possible that even a 1gb card would be fine with your settings. Probably not but the 5.5gb only says how much the engine caches.

Here's a good example of this: http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/gigabyte_geforce_gtx_960_g1_gaming_4gb_review,14.html.

Mifec

And none of the euro stores are selling it at at MSRP EVGA EU's cheapest one is 739 euros

Why is it so expensive in Europe if recommended price is €605? Do euro prices include VAT? If it is just launch price gouging then they'll settle down again.

Prices normally include VAT.

Though most countries have ridiculous high taxes.

Were I live (Switzerland) VAT is 8%, the cheapest 980ti I've seen all day was 712 swiss francs (700 euro roughly). Not that bad, after all (+60 on the msrp).

Cryengine 3 caches VRAM so the 5.5 gb number is useless in regards to how much it really needs. It's possible that even a 1gb card would be fine with your settings. Probably not but the 5.5gb only says how much the engine caches.

Here's a good example of this: http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/gigabyte_geforce_gtx_960_g1_gaming_4gb_review,14.html.

I can attest with first hand experience that a 970 vram stutters at 1080p at the highest settings, and so does the 980 according to PCGH.

I am quite aware of how Cryengine handles VRAM, a good thing to look for is the minimum framerate or how often a stutter comes up based upon the VRAM differences.

saelz8

980 Ti Strix
OqbYLqr.jpg

fatchris

The cheapest price available in Finland is 850 euros, which is 610 gbp or 930 USD.

Yeah, I guess I'm sitting this one out. Shame; my hype levels were up at news of 600 euros.

Psykoboy2

You know, I'm going to need a thread somewhere that discusses what monitor to buy with these (and future) cards. 1080 just ain't cutting it anymore and I plan to move into the upper HD range by the end of the year.

Vercimber

Okay, I have a host of questions. Please be patient with me. I pulled trigger at the earliest moment possible bought one of the Gigabyte 980tis off of Amazon at about 4am:

http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-GeFo...?ie=UTF8&filterBy=addOneStar&showViewpoints=0

My questions:

1 Is this a "reference" card? I got it at $649.

2 Why does it say Overclocked? I see no evidence of that on the box.

3 What can I do about the missing Batman, or are they pre-packaged?

4 I just bought a Dell U2515H 25-Inch Screen 1440p LED-Lit Monitor, one of the most beautiful monitors I've ever seen. I need a monitor that balances productivity and gaming, but this only runs to 60hz. Should I send this back and upgrade? I mean, I'm all-in now, but I can't go higher than $500.

mkenyon

Banned
Omg someone please tell me this will fit in a Node 304.
As long as you have a shorter (140mm) PSU, should be fine.
Okay, I have a host of questions. Please be patient with me. I pulled trigger at the earliest moment possible bought one of the Gigabyte 980tis off of Amazon at about 4am:

http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-GeFo...?ie=UTF8&filterBy=addOneStar&showViewpoints=0

My questions:

1 Is this a "reference" card? I got it at $649.

2 Why does it say Overclocked? I see no evidence of that on the box.

3 What can I do about the missing Batman, or are they pre-packaged?

4 I just bought a Dell U2515H 25-Inch Screen 1440p LED-Lit Monitor, one of the most beautiful monitors I've ever seen. I need a monitor that balances productivity and gaming, but this only runs to 60hz. Should I send this back and upgrade? I mean, I'm all-in now, but I can't go higher than $500.
1. Yep.

2. I dont know, I googled the part number, and it is indeed a reference card at the reference clock speeds.

3. I have no idea.

4. Yes, but to get a better one for gaming @ 1440p under $500, you'll have to wait a bit until some of the other stuff starts showing up at stores, like the MG279Q.

Vercimber

As long as you have a shorter (140mm) PSU, should be fine.

1. Yep.

2. I dont know, I googled the part number, and it is indeed a reference card at the reference clock speeds.

3. I have no idea.

4. Yes, but to get a better one for gaming @ 1440p under $500, you'll have to wait a bit until some of the other stuff starts showing up at stores, like the MG279Q.

Thank you.

mkenyon

Banned
I feel like I'm going to have to be a god damn detective to get that EVGA Hybrid Edition.
Or patient :p
Was going to ask if I should buy another 780ti for sli or get the 980ti. But I see the Kepler hate is strong in here...
As a fellow 780 Ti owner who absolutely loves their card, get the 980 Ti if you are set on upgrading.

Always always always always always buy the best single card you can afford. SLI is for achieving performance that is otherwise impossible with a single card.

I haven't tried without but I figure why not get better cooling, it's going to need as much as it can get :)

*car engine noises*
I always play with headphones so fan noise doesn't bother me luckily, or at the very least I live in Texas so I'm so used to having fans on everywhere that I can just tune it out completely :p

Skyzard

Banned
I always play with headphones so fan noise doesn't bother me luckily, or at the very least I live in Texas so I'm so used to having fans on everywhere that I can just tune it out completely :p

I'm just a sucker really :p They aren't even that loud compared some older cards...although the cases are probably getting better at keeping it in too.

It didn't really help my 780ti, only got 1215 oc (+65 from the sc) out of it and heard others get much higher although that might have been with a different firmware/cooling.

Shit, that ASUS STRIX GTX 980 Ti looks fucking good though. Yeah...

Reckon that will come with batman too? Don't see it here in uk...

Wag

I only buy EVGA now because of the step-up and their great RMA. That's it.

If I do go AMD this time around not sure what I'll do.

dmr87

Mmmmm this beauty.

It's my current target depending on the price/availability/reviews. If that doesn't work out I'll probably go with MSI again.

A 25% factory-overclock is something you usually hear with entry-level graphics cards around the $60 mark; and the bigger the silicon, the more conservative VGA makers get with factory-overclocks. ZOTAC thinks otherwise. The company's GTX 980 Ti AMP Extreme graphics card ships with a massive 25% factory-overclock - something unheard of for a chip with 250W TDP, much less an 8 billion-transistor count.

The card comes with 1253 MHz core (vs. 1000 MHz reference), 1335 MHz GPU Boost (vs. 1076 MHz reference), and 7210 MHz memory (vs. 7012 MHz reference). The card is cooled by a meaty triple-slot IceStorm air-based cooler by ZOTAC; and a VRM that draws power from two 8-pin PCIe power connectors keep the card fed. ZOTAC could ask a $100 premium over the base price of $649, offering performance which, we reckon, could be much higher than that of the $999 GTX TITAN X.

dpxb.jpg

epxb.jpg

fpxb.jpg

http://www.techpowerup.com/213057/z...tx-980-ti-a-massive-25-factory-overclock.html

Top Bottom