• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia announces the GTX 980 Ti | $650 £550 €605

This is strange, I never get such high VRAM usage in SC.

I only first noticed how much VRAM the game used (it was an unknown to me when I was running a 570 rig) when I tried it out on a 970 SLI rig. It was one of the games that would break the 3.5 GB limit of the card and push it into the 4 GB range (taking advantage of the ultra slow vram portion).

I am technically not 100% positive where the necessary amount begins, but it is most definitely above 4GB at Very High 1080p. One thing you can notice when playing is that, after starting the game up, you can see it isn't really caching, but rather loading tons of textures in. For me at least, up until the last moment you see textures switching from a grey blob to a higher detail one until about 5.0 GB.

Mad Max

ayyy, currently listed here in NL at ~€840. For €200 less I might bite though, so hopefully the prices will come down.

Caayn

ayyy, currently listed here in NL at ~€840. For €200 less I might bite though, so hopefully the prices will come down.
Jup :( Idiotic high prices and not a single shop with a card keeps from me ordering one. Smells like a paperlaunch here.

Also from the AMD thread.
I think the AMD Fiji cards are going to be special, and Nvidia knows it. Here's a snippet from the conclusion of the Tom's Hardware Geforce GTX980 ti review.

"So why not dust off our highest-of-the-high Editor’s Choice award? Call it the Fiji factor. AMD’s HBM-equipped answer to GM200, or at least what we’re expecting to contend with Nvidia’s flagship GPU, is purportedly imminent. Without knowing how it’ll affect the enthusiast graphics space, we’re reluctant to declare a victor, as much as like the GeForce GTX 980 Ti. Though that might sound unfair to the star of today’s show, rest assured, a winner will be declared soon."

I'm pretty sure they have Fiji on hand under NDA, along with most other hardware sites. We're getting close to blast off!

If Fiji was going to be that amazing, why do they keep delaying it? There's absolutely no reason to give Nvidia a free reign to sell as many 980 Ti's as they can ship to retailers for more than 3 weeks before launching the "Radeon Fury" (such a dumb name) if it were that amazing, they would be at least releasing cards to reviewers ASAP so benchmarks could be shown comparing the two and give PC gamers a reason to wait a few weeks.

AMD's silence regarding Fiji in the face of 980 Ti's successful launch is the most deafening thing about their response. Are they panicking right now? I mean, the rumors were that they were going to launch the "Fury" at the $850 price point, and early rumors of the 980 Ti's pricing were in the $800 range as well. They can't possibly launch it at $850 now, Nvidia literally dropped the bomb by launching the 980 Ti at $650.

AMD are seriously making it hard on themselves by possibly only having a 4GB card at launch because of their HBM1 design. The "Fury" is already more than 6 months late, had it launched in 2014 as originally planned when the top Nvidia card was the 4GB 980, no one would have said a thing about 4GB. But now the Titan X and 980 Ti have come out with 12GB and 6GB respectively, the hour grows late, and still AMD remain silent.

cripterion

Barely. With a simple oc a 980ti could win

But then the GTX970's could be OC too.

Seeing the benchmarks, going with SLI GTX970 is still a better proposition imo than the single GTX980ti. (considering it's price).
Of course SLI has it's downsides but if you got the rig and the patience to accomodate it's worth it.

Curious to see some benches once DX12 games hit the market too.

Theonik

Just ordered my new PC, there goes my salary.

AjbmVj3.png

/YOLO
Why not wait with Skylake right around the corner and almost guaranteed to rock our collective socks off?

Edit:
I'd really prefer if statements like this could be more specific. At what texture settings? AA level? That sort of thing.

Star Citizen doesn't even cap out my 780 Ti's 3GB VRAM at 1440p. Cause I turn things down.

As it is, to someone who is a total amateur, they'll see statements like that and not even think about the fact that they can turn down settings. It seems natural to assume that people do, but I've seen shit like this just get repeated as fact. I mean, look at all the people that just parrot things about IPS monitors for a great example. Then they make an objectively bad consumer purchase, despite your good intentions of advising them about a possible downfall with their current setup.

I know you have good in your heart, but specificity is super important when it comes to consumer advice.
Turning down settings is for chumps. Max or nothing. If I can't run it 60fps minimum I just will wait till cards catch up. *shrug*

iceatcs

lol someone just upgrade it from 970. It is crazy time.
He'll regret very easy. Cant wait to hear the moaning.

I will be blessed because I haven't upgrade anything since 570. It is like a revolution for me, rather than just little upgrade every 6 months.

AP90

Does anyone know what the temp differences are between ACX 2.0 cooler vs stock blower. And if so, if the ACX cooler is even worth the extra $$?

You are right, but when Skylake hits, Broadwell-E is also meant to hit soon after.
And I expect Skylake to give Haswell-E a run for its money...

There's nothing about Broadwell-E worth waiting 7+ months for. Skylake has a chance to be something worth waiting for unless you want more than 4 cores.

Zaph

EVGA Kingpin edition incoming.

[IMG ]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xta1/v/t1.0-9/s720x720/11393145_668722449899866_1379151118861662998_n.jpg?oh=4803adeb747e742d2952a9218fa9244c&oe=55F212DF[/IMG]

Another? That's on top of their Classified edition which still (afaik) hasn't had its specs released?

Dreathlock

Do you think its worth the wait for the 1300 clock Zotac Amp extreme or should i just get the EVGA one with stock cooler and overclock myself?

riflen

Another? That's on top of their Classified edition which still (afaik) hasn't had its specs released?

Yes. Historically the Kingpin has its voltage limits removed. It's the overclockers' serious business edition. Computex is going on, so we'll get a lot of announcements in the next few days.

Zaph

Yes. Historically the Kingpin has its voltage limits removed. It's the overclockers' serious business edition. Computex is going on, so we'll get a lot of announcements in the next few days.

Right, so basically it's a card you can completely fry if you don't know exactly what you're doing?

riflen

Right, so basically it's a card you can completely fry if you don't know exactly what you're doing?

I'm not into the extreme overclocking area myself, but I imagine there are some limits in there to prevent damage. You can certainly make it unstable though. They're designed for the experienced customers who benchmark etc.

Iceternal

Does downsampling make games look noticably (is that even a word?) better? I'm thinking of buying a 980 ti but i only have a 1080p tv..

edit: Shit, the post before me asked the exact same question.. :(

I usually downsample at 1620p on my 55" Plasma 1080p screen.

Though I can't really tell the difference between 1620p and 4k ! Maybe I'm blind IDK.

I get the impression that a lot of the people that purchased this card seriously regret it. Either that or I'm misreading these kinds of comments. lol

Yes it's a piece of shit ...

iceatcs

Will PCI express stay long time? that scary me. It might be another GPU to buy when motherboard upgrade. I heard not long the new connector.

But I think I can cope to stay i7-4790K for another 4 years. Just long enough for this new GPU. Hopefully future motherboard will still on PCI express support when pascal-based come.

Grassy

Does anyone know what the temp differences are between ACX 2.0 cooler vs stock blower. And if so, if the ACX cooler is even worth the extra $$?

This is for the GTX 780 , but there's a 15 degree difference between them at load. Sound difference is only ~1 dB. ACX is the one to get for a single card system.

http://www.legitreviews.com/evga-geforce-gtx-780-superclocked-acx-cooling-video-card-review_2206/13

I just ordered the EVGA 980 Ti SC w/blower as I'm going SLI. I might pull them apart and put some Arctic Silver 5 on the heatsink. Or I might not.

This is really making it hard for me to wait until Intel's Skylake to come out before building a new PC... but I will be strong and wait... and wait... and wait....

I'm going to ask again, does the 980ti Hydro Copper already have the water blocks installed? do I just need to plug it in and go?

Yes, it has them installed. You want this if you already have a custom loop. If you don't have a custom loop but still want water cooling you want the EVGA Hybrid.

Because I need a PC ASAP, and isn't DX12 gonna make CPU less important anyway?

Skylake will be a manufacturing process change, architecture change and a platform change compared to Haswell, so it will be clock-for-clock/core-for-core a better performer (though recently the improvement hasn't been all that big) and there will be some new features unavailable to Haswell-E but your CPU will not be a limiting factor for you, especially when it comes to games.

dr_rus

This is really making it hard for me to wait until Intel's Skylake to come out before building a new PC... but I will be strong and wait... and wait... and wait....

Waiting for a new CPU from Intel is the strangest reason to not upgrade to a new GPU right now.

Waiting for a new CPU from Intel is the strangest reason to not upgrade to a new GPU right now.

Yeah and honestly Skylake isn't even going to hugely outperform Haswell. CPU upgrades right now are slow moving. You can just buy a i7 4xxx series and be good for the next 4 years probably at least

Top Bottom