• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia announces the GTX 980 Ti | $650 £550 €605

Orcastar

EU price is criminal.

Going to wait for the next batch of Nvidia GPU's before upgrading.

They're only €850 (~$950) here in Finland!

Since the price turned out to be that insane, I'm not sure if I should just upgrade from my 680 to a 970 (€420) or wait for the next batch of GPUs...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Aren't non-reference generally quieter and cooler than reference? So if you're putting them in SLI and one gets 8-10 degrees warmer, wouldn't that still be in line with the temps a reference cooler would be getting?

Alternatively, how about having the warmer one be one of the water cooled hybrid models so it's isn't being affected by warm air being dumped into the case? (Assuming you have space for a 120mm rad and use it as an intake)

They're only €850 (~$950) here in Finland!

Since the price turned out to be that insane, I'm not sure if I should just upgrade from my 680 to a 970 (€420) or wait for the next batch of GPUs...

The wages/salary in Finland are much higher than those in US. Thats why you pay more

fatchris

The wages/salary in Finland are much higher than those in US. Thats why you pay more

I'm sorry, but what?

The exchange rate should roughly cover differences in price levels, assuming purchasing power parity. Wages are factored into this. At the current, awful, awful exchange rate (due to Greece and the ECB's quantitative easing), 650 USD is 580 euros. Add 25% VAT and you're at 725 euros.

There's absolutely no reason why Finnish stores are charging a minimum of 850 euros for this card.

Oh, and GDP per capita (PPP) was around 37346.86 USD in Finland and 53041 USD in the States in 2013.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I'm sorry, but what?

The exchange rate should roughly cover differences in price levels, assuming purchasing power parity. Wages are factored into this. At the current, awful, awful exchange rate (due to Greece and the ECB's quantitative easing), 650 USD is 580 euros. Add 25% VAT and you're at 725 euros.

There's absolutely no reason why Finnish stores are charging a minimum of 850 euros for this card.

Oh, and GDP per capita (PPP) was around 37346.86 USD in Finland and 53041 USD in the States in 2013.

Median personal income is a much more useful figure, but the US beats Finland there too.

pa22word

I was just joking

we have fucked up prices in sweden too. US gets everything cheap
Maybe it has to do with the U.S. being a higher volume market for video cards and pc components in general? So vendors can sell more units at a lower base cost and see an increase in profits.

I honestly have no idea what the market for pc components looks like because it seems like we rarely ever see regional sales numbers.

gmilh

Neo Member
I have a question.
Back when nVidia pulled out the 780 Ti, MSI released the GTX 780 Gaming 6GB on their own, which had double the amount of VRAM of both the 980 and the 980 TI but a clock frequency not as high as in the latter.
So, since the 980 Ti is almost the same as the Titan X, except for a few things like having only half of the amount of RAM, what I'm asking is: would it be possible for MSI or Asus or someone else to make a 980 Ti Gaming 12GB version?
And what about a 980 Gaming 8GB?

DBT85

Aren't non-reference generally quieter and cooler than reference? So if you're putting them in SLI and one gets 8-10 degrees warmer, wouldn't that still be in line with the temps a reference cooler would be getting?

Alternatively, how about having the warmer one be one of the water cooled hybrid models so it's isn't being affected by warm air being dumped into the case? (Assuming you have space for a 120mm rad and use it as an intake)

I'd not bother with reference, the slight extra wedge for a non reference is worth it just for the quieter cooling in my experience.

riflen

I have a question.
Back when nVidia pulled out the 780 Ti, MSI released the GTX 780 Gaming 6GB on their own, which had double the amount of VRAM of both the 980 and the 980 TI but not a clock frequency as high as in the latter.
So, since the 980 Ti is almost the same as the Titan X except for a few things like having only half of the amount of RAM, what I'm asking is: would it be possible for MSI or Asus or someone else to do a 980 Ti Gaming 12GB version?

You need to correct the typos in your post. I think you mean 780 and 780 Ti in your first paragraph.

Anyway, 6GB 780 was only created because NVidia sanctioned it.
AIB vendors can't arbitrarily do what they like with another company's product. There was around a 4 month gap between the 780 Ti and 780 6GB releases.
I'd say given the current landscape the chance of a 12GB 980 Ti is zero. That already exists in the shape of the Titan X. It's also very unlikely a 8GB 980 will turn up, but it partly depends on AMD's fortunes.

Theonik

I have a question.
Back when nVidia pulled out the 780 Ti, MSI released the GTX 780 Gaming 6GB on their own, which had double the amount of VRAM of both the 980 and the 980 TI but not a clock frequency as high as in the latter.
So, since the 980 Ti is almost the same as the Titan X except for a few things like having only half of the amount of RAM, what I'm asking is: would it be possible for MSI or Asus or someone else to do a 980 Ti Gaming 12GB version?
8GB no. The way they do that is swap the memory with modules with 2x density. No idea how much more 12GB would cost, would be better getting titan x at that point.

ecosse_011172

I need this Asus Strix now.

NOW!

Here's an overview closeup of it at Computex
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqjmo7mQ5bk

Turn on the translation, it's fun to read what Youtube translates from German.

"Hello since from from home at Computex with the Textihaus GD200 the eggs both first Rafi with Carter after sercurity has now in his own style, namely the brand new Dalits EU three cooliong of Serbs Edith"

Hilarious.

EDIT
Apparently the card is powered by Diesel Fuel according to the translation.

He said it'll be available at the end of June.

ecosse_011172

I don't understand why people buy Reference Design cards, aren't they always louder and slower than the custom cards from the likes of MSI and Asus?
Am I missing something?

riflen

I don't understand why people buy Reference Design cards, aren't they always louder and slower than the custom cards from the likes of MSI and Asus?
Am I missing something?

For some it doesn't matter. The reference cooler is still very good and not necessarily louder than 3rd party designs.
There's also a tiny number of people who immediately remove the cooler and put on a water block.

And I hope Sophie Turner shows up to my house to sleep with me.

Let's see who gets what first.
Damn! Doesn't sound good for me ;D

This card specifically? Probably not.

But I'm fairly confident we'll see a card that matches or beats it for $300-400 by then.
Niiiiiice! I want to build a new PC next year (in ~12 months) and I don't want to spend more than ~$350 on a new G-card. Well, let's wait and see. Hope you are right :)

dr_rus

I have a question.

980Ti with 12GB won't happen as this is the sole differentiation of Titan X at the moment - NV won't allow it like they didn't allow 6GB 780Ti cards.

980 with 8GB can happen as an answer to AMD's 390/X cards which are rumored to have Hawaii with 8GB of VRAM on them.

gmilh

Neo Member
980Ti with 12GB won't happen as this is the sole differentiation of Titan X at the moment - NV won't allow it like they didn't allow 6GB 780Ti cards.

980 with 8GB can happen as an answer to AMD's 390/X cards which are rumored to have Hawaii with 8GB of VRAM on them.
Thank you.

So I'll either have to buy the Ti now (and with now I mean, once a not-reference model pops out from Asus or MSI) or wait for a 980 8GB (I won't even consider a Radeon, I need a card with CUDA cores) which may even never come out, and if it'll ever do it would have a lower frequency clock and "only" two gigs of VRAM more... so I guess I'll settle for the 980 Ti, and thank you again.

hitgirl

I don't think this has been posted yet. I've never had a tripple fan card, but I usually buy Asus. Can't wait to see actual card. Seen at Computex -

day2-73-1620x1080.jpg

Hmm so the SC gives ~5% improvement... That's pretty substantial for like $20 more, imo. Too bad that version wasn't available for step up.

CowntChocula

Neo Member
I wish I knew if Best Buy was going to get any of these in. I have passed multiple times on other sites and still no update to their website...grr

Due to getting a good deal I've swapped out my MSI 970 for the EVGA FTW 980.. I was tempted by the 980Ti but for me it's not worth the £150 extra that it seems to be in the UK.

mkenyon

Banned
Yeah, I think it's pretty silly to be buying any card until both the big hitters are out. Wait for PCPer and TechReport reviews comparing them.
Soooo, Amazon is offering me a $97.50 discount on this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YEU8SXI/?tag=neogaf0e-20 because it's not overclocked like it says in the description...

Should I take it or return it? I do really want an OC'd card...
Holy fuck take the discount, that's insane.

You can overclock it yourself.

mkenyon

Banned
Okay, took the discount. Thanks guys! How does Gigabyte compare to others?
They're reference, so it's really just an NVIDIA card with a Gigabyte logo on it, for the most part.

However, Gigabyte is one of the 4 AIBs that offer warranty based on serial # (GB, ASUS, MSI, EVGA).

Weevilone

EVGA reference 980Ti vs EVGA reference SC 980Ti... Much difference???

I know a couple people have addressed this, but my thoughts..

If the SC is in stock and the same price, sure why not take the free guaranteed OC. In reality though, I won't pay extra for this b/c it's always so mild that it's very nearly a sure thing anyways.. and the OC we're talking about is pretty insignificant.

Regarding reference cards in general, I will usually go with them as long as the cooler is good. It worked out great for my EVGA 680 and the more recent 980's. Not all coolers have been created equal, but these recent NV coolers have been pretty effective and quiet. Also, I tend to SLI so I prefer blowers in that case. Honestly my SLI 980's are quiet as can be and the fans in the PC don't even spin up most of the time.

I also think about what happens to the card down the road. I'll either toss one of them in my HTPC or kids PC. Both are SFF and don't need a card that dumps the hot air in the case b/c they aren't designed to handle that well. If I sell the card, I figure there are a lot of potential people looking to add a second blower card for SLI at a good price.

Top Bottom