• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia announces the GTX 980 Ti | $650 £550 €605

hitgirl

Apparently the AMD Fury is the world's fastest GPU according to AMD's Matt Skynner

http://www.hardwareluxx.de/index.php/news/hardware/grafikkarten/35595-amd-wird-fiji-gpu-alies-radeon-fury-x-am-16-juni-offiziell-vorstellen.html

http://wccftech.com/amd-hbm-fury-x-fastest-world/

Considering canceling my 980 ti order, still hasn't shipped from newegg.

I usually don't suggest waiting for another piece of technology. Like is short, enjoy your shit now. But AMD is like right around the corner, what is it 2-3 weeks? I'd wait. It usually takes me 2-3 weeks to install a video card and get the overclocked locked in.

Apparently the AMD Fury is the world's fastest GPU according to AMD's Matt Skynner

http://www.hardwareluxx.de/index.php/news/hardware/grafikkarten/35595-amd-wird-fiji-gpu-alies-radeon-fury-x-am-16-juni-offiziell-vorstellen.html

I hope they release something special. I'm personally sticking with the SLI 980tis but I'd hate to see AMD release this highly anticipated card and have it sit below the 980ti performance-wise, with its only hope of being interesting is if it's priced aggressively.

AMD guy says AMD product is the best, I'm fucking shocked.

Wait for them to be out for the benchmarks and stuff before deciding

mkenyon

Banned
I hope they release something special. I'm personally sticking with the SLI 980tis but I'd hate to see AMD release this highly anticipated card and have it sit below the 980ti performance-wise, with its only hope of being interesting is if it's priced aggressively.
Especially since they can be paired with much less expensive Freesync monitors.

mkenyon

Banned
Really need a new card but don't really want to completely overhaul my current PC. Currently running a i7 930, do I really need a newer processor?
You don't *need* a new processor, but it would help give you more consistent frame delivery. Is yours overclocked? If not, getting it around 4.0 GHz would be helpful

Serick

Married Member
Really need a new card but don't really want to completely overhaul my current PC. Currently running a i7 930, do I really need a newer processor?

So, fwiw;

My husband and I both have a GTX 980 currently (step up inc!) running on an I5 2500 @ 4.1GHz and an I7 4790k @ 4.6Ghz.

When we used Fraps, standing in the same village, with the same settings, at the same time of day with the same weather, we had identical FPS. We both get the exact same FPS in the Witcher 3. My machine will probably pull ahead in Novigrad when CPU usage is higher.

Edited for clarity.

mkenyon

Banned
So, fwiw;

My husband and I both have a GTX 980 currently (step up inc!) running on an I5 2500 @ 4.1GHz and an I7 4790k @ 4.6Ghz.

We both get the exact same FPS in the Witcher 3.
Not to be that guy, but unless you two ran some sort of specific benchmark, I think you're looking at some weird data.

http://wccftech.com/witcher-3-cpu-benchmarks-fx-63008350-i7-4790ki5-4690ki3-4130g3258-oc/

Should be noticeably lower with a 500MHz difference, no hyperthreading, and about 15% lower IPC.

Mrbob

Average of 21 games? Only 10% at 1440P and 12% at 4K faster than a 980TI. Unless the Fury X is around 700 dollars or less I'm not seeing the big win for AMD.

Not really sure what the point of this comparison is. The collected data extrapolation seems strange.

You don't *need* a new processor, but it would help give you more consistent frame delivery. Is yours overclocked? If not, getting it around 4.0 GHz would be helpful

No it isn't, 4ghz seems pretty extreme with just air though.

It's not that I cannot do a full upgrade I just didn't really want to drop $1500 if I could get away with just buying a new card.

Serick

Married Member
Not to be that guy, but unless you two ran some sort of specific benchmark, I think you're looking at some weird data.

http://wccftech.com/witcher-3-cpu-benchmarks-fx-63008350-i7-4790ki5-4690ki3-4130g3258-oc/

Should be noticeably lower with a 500MHz difference, no hyperthreading, and about 15% lower IPC.

I'm not looking at some weird data. The video you posted shows the i5 and i7 to be nearly identical (less than an average of 1fps difference) until Novigrad.

Neither of us are in Novigrad yet.

When we used Fraps, standing in the same village, with the same settings, at the same time of day with the same weather, we had identical FPS. I mean, I guess I could have posted that information to start with. The point of my post was I think he'd still see FPS gains even on his 970.

matmanx1

Average of 21 games? Only 10% at 1440P and 12% at 4K faster than a 980TI. Unless the Fury X is around 700 dollars or less I'm not seeing the big win for AMD.

Not really sure what the point of this comparison is. The collected data extrapolation seems strange.

It really depends on the price point and the real world benchmarks. I'm sure that is part of the reason that AMD is waiting so long to reveal this thing to the public. Driver optimizations are always ongoing and on such new hardware I am sure that things are changing daily.

The more time for testing that the coders have the better off AMD will be in terms of working drivers that actually use the hardware effectively. If the Fury line launches and is, on average, 10-15% faster than a Titan X right out of the box then I fail to see how that is anything but good for AMD if the price is competitive.

Now what do we think a card like that should be priced at to actually gain some market share? Would $650 do it (thereby matching the 980Ti price but being faster) or would it need to be bother faster and cheaper to really catch on?

Serick

Married Member
Now what do we think a card like that should be priced at to actually gain some market share? Would $650 do it (thereby matching the 980Ti price but being faster) or would it need to be bother faster and cheaper to really catch on?

With AMD's position in the marketplace I really feel it would need to be both faster and cheaper. They're in a tough spot, the 980ti's pricing is a really big fuck you to AMD IMO.

ZOONAMI

It really depends on the price point and the real world benchmarks. I'm sure that is part of the reason that AMD is waiting so long to reveal this thing to the public. Driver optimizations are always ongoing and on such new hardware I am sure that things are changing daily.

The more time for testing that the coders have the better off AMD will be in terms of working drivers that actually use the hardware effectively. If the Fury line launches and is, on average, 10-15% faster than a Titan X right out of the box then I fail to see how that is anything but good for AMD if the price is competitive.

The real kicker here is the 4gb vs 6gb. Amd will have to show 4k benches and memory usage. If it outpaces a 980 ti at 4k while using only 3-4gb of ram, and the 980 ti is going over 4gb, they will have proved that hbm bandwith and their drivers make the 6gb irrelevant.

I actually feel like the titan x is pretty much irrelevant, as an out of the box 980 Ti OC is faster than the titan x.

They will need to release at the same price or cheaper than the 980 ti to sell these in any significant volume. If they are more expensive, they are kind of fucked. Nvidia marketing has succeeded in giving them a premium brand image vs. AMD.

mkenyon

Banned
I'm not looking at some weird data. The video you posted shows the i5 and i7 to be nearly identical (less than an average of 1fps difference) until Novigrad.

Neither of us are in Novigrad yet.

When we used Fraps, standing in the same village, with the same settings, at the same time of day with the same weather, we had identical FPS. I mean, I guess I could have posted that information to start with. The point of my post was I think he'd still see FPS gains even on his 970.
Aha, that's why.

Processors will generally chug more when there's a lot of game state stuff going on, or physics, or that sort of thing. You need to get into some action, and you'll see more consistent frame delivery.

Zornack

Soooo, Amazon is offering me a $97.50 discount on this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YEU8SXI/?tag=neogaf0e-20 because it's not overclocked like it says in the description...

Should I take it or return it? I do really want an OC'd card...

Huh, really? I bought two of those cards on the 31st (or was it the 1st? Can't remember). Did they e-mail you offering the discount?

I might try OCing them myself and if I end up with a bard card ask them to take the card back as it's not as advertised, and if I end up with good cards take the discount.

Mrbob

It isn't Fury X vs Titan X anymore. It is Fury X vs 980TI. The 980TI is supplanting the Titan X for most new purchasers.

Performance will determine the value of the card. If it is only around 10 to 15% faster, being 200 dollars more than the 980TI is a disaster. Doesn't matter if Fury X is cheaper than the Titan X.

TheCrow

It isn't Fury X vs Titan X anymore. It is Fury X vs 980TI. The 980TI is supplanting the Titan X for most new purchasers. If the Fury X lands at $849, it is cheaper than the Titan X. But it is more expensive than the 980TI.

Fury X is most likely the water cooled version so there's no way its cheaper than the 980ti. It'd be better to compare it to the water cooled 980ti thats $750. The air cooled Fury is the one to look out for.

Theonik

Noctua's NH-D14. So definitely not your average air cooling, but still, on air.
To be honest, decent air coolers, (read, not stock coolers) have for a long time been pretty competitive with water. The main benefit of water is not usually temperatures, but case layout. (more compact, can eliminate the need for case airflow, external radiators etc etc)

mkenyon

Banned
To be honest, decent air coolers, (read, not stock coolers) have for a long time been pretty competitive with water. The main benefit of water is not usually temperatures, but case layout. (more compact, can eliminate the need for case airflow, external radiators etc etc)
Well, competitive with AIO water.

Theonik

Well, competitive with AIO water.
I'm not trying to say water doesn't have its place but even with many custom loops you aren't really seeing a proportional gain in thermal performance to justify the extra effort in the end of the day for most usecases.

blado

Finally managed to order one. That was way harder than I expected finding one in stock. Should be here Thursday or Friday. Not to worried about the AMD offerings since I likely won't be able to afford the pro model anyways, and I'd imagine the standard fury model will be around the 980 ti's performance.

Damaniel

Banned
Finally managed to order one. That was way harder than I expected finding one in stock. Should be here Thursday or Friday. Not to worried about the AMD offerings since I likely won't be able to afford the pro model anyways, and I'd imagine the standard fury model will be around the 980 ti's performance.

Same. I picked up a pair of reference cards straight from Nvidia, and they appear to still have some, FYI. I should have them tomorrow. Should be a huge upgrade from my (single) 680.

EVGA also sells the cooler on its own. The 980 version fits a Titan X, so it should also for the 980 ti. Also for $10 more, they're also selling the Titan X version which I'm assuming will also fit. I bet the only difference is the naming on the shroud.

Mithos

Gold Member
I have been on 4.2 Ghz for about 4 years on my i7 930.

I wish I had the patience to OC my i7 930, I even bought the mobo + cpu (correct build/revisions and all), never did any hard OC, just 2.8GHz -> 3.4Ghz, even though I can push it too 4.xGhz.

I wish I had the patience to OC my i7 930, I even bought the mobo + cpu (correct build/revisions and all), never did any hard OC, just 2.8GHz -> 3.4Ghz, even though I can push it too 4.xGhz.

EVGA's Jacob created a simple 4.0 Ghz overclock guide ages ago you could probably find. If I remember basically everyone had success with it and it was like... 6 steps?

dmr87

Apperently you're be able to receive review cards from Gigabyte at the end of the week so launch can't be that far off.

Huh, really? I bought two of those cards on the 31st (or was it the 1st? Can't remember). Did they e-mail you offering the discount?

I might try OCing them myself and if I end up with a bard card ask them to take the card back as it's not as advertised, and if I end up with good cards take the discount.
I contacted them via chat about it.

That's the hotness right there. How viable would it be to SLI two of those?

I had the EVGA 980 TI Hybrid in my cart... and sold out by the time I was putting my information for shipping....

Woooooooooooooooow.

Apparently they make three, send them to random dimension and they're never heard from again. I'm not sure why I even bother anymore because the process is so infinitely fucking frustrating.

Top Bottom