• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia announces the GTX 980 Ti | $650 £550 €605

Bout to sell an Apple Watch I got for free at an inflated price - I know where that money will be going to! *Grins*

Edit: Questions is what brand should I go for? I've always gone EVGA but how is Asus or Zotac?

ZOONAMI

Bout to sell an Apple Watch I got for free at an inflated price - I know where that money will be going to! *Grins*

Edit: Questions is what brand should I go for? I've always gone EVGA but how is Asus or Zotac?

I'd say they're all fine. EVGA's step up isn't really a factor as it's very unlikely they will offer a step up to the titan x. And pretty doubtful nvidia will come out with another new card in the next 3 mos.

I'd take a Gigabyte G1 Gaming. I currently have G1 Gaming 970s and they've worked out well and temps have never been an issue.

Seems like the Windforce coolers are a bit better than the Twin Frozr and the old DirectCU II. Of course ASUS is now on the DirectCU III, but if the Gigabyte G1 Gaming pops up first I'll probably just nab it instead of waiting for the STRIX.

The STRIX and MSI models are using 2 x 8-pin connectors though, I hope the Gigabyte is too. If it's a 6-pin and 8-pin I might have to keep waiting, sigh.

gdt

Mannnnn I'm looking at this card hard right now. Thing is is that I just built my PC and my Tri X OC 290 is doing gangbusters. I should probably wait till next year and see whats kicking around with VR specs.

Probably won't tho.

I just bought a new monitor for $300 and after doing so started thinking about how I could've nearly bought a 980Ti with that money depending on how much I'd get for my 970 towards it with EVGA's Step-up program. Or even a second 970...

GHG

So... Its in stock in a couple of places here in the UAE.

If you guys in the UK and Europe think you have it bad in terms of pricing wait till you hear the price here...

$1028

Hahaha. I just went into tears of laughter when I saw the price. And that's for the reference cooler cards to top it off.

Definitely importing from the US. Now I need to wait for amazon.com to get stock.

What a world we live in.

Guys, I may have missed it on the last couple pages but is there a link where all the current and future models of the 980 Ti are put together on a simple list with pricing/release info?

For anyone who cares, I've confirmed the Gigabyte G1 Gaming also uses 2 x 8-pin connectors. So all 3 big name custom cooler 980 Ti's have custom PCBs with extra power headroom.

I hope I can get one, I bought the same card.

15% discount at launch is fantabulous. $552 980Ti? LOL.
They were super nice about it and offered me the 15% right away.

I'm now trying to decide whether I should keep it or flip it for $630ish and use the money saved towards one of the OC'd water cooled cards that are eventually coming or keep the Gigabyte. I know I can overclock it myself, but why settle for that when you can overclock an already overclocked card? lol.

joesmokey

T7rcHz9.png
I think this is about my sweet spot for OC'ing. The memory OC is insane.

Temps hover around 76/77 degrees. If I put the GPU clock offset any higher I start getting artifacting.

Witcher 3 drops are now lowest at about 52-54fps, but that is pretty rare. It's almost a constant 60fps now. (2560x1440 maxed without hairworks)

Overall I am very happy.

I'm now trying to decide whether I should keep it or flip it for $630ish and use the money saved towards one of the OC'd water cooled cards that are eventually coming or keep the Gigabyte. I know I can overclock it myself, but why settle for that when you can overclock an already overclocked card? lol.

Shipping is on the scale of weeks for me since I'm importing to Australia. This should get here within 7 days of Batman coming out, which is the game I want it for the most. I'll just stick with the base one until Big Pascal most likely.

I think this is about my sweet spot for OC'ing. The memory OC is insane.

Temps hover around 76/77 degrees. If I put the GPU clock offset any higher I start getting artifacting.

Witcher 3 drops are now lowest at about 52-54fps, but that is pretty rare. It's almost a constant 60fps now. (2560x1440 maxed without hairworks)

Overall I am very happy.

Is that reference or custom?

mkenyon

Banned

The top end of a reference card and an OC'd card are almost entirely silicon lottery either way. The only cards that are binned to be better overclockers are halo products like the Classified, ROG Matrix, and MSI Lightning Extreme.

So your Gigabyte reference card has the same chance for a good OC as one of those EVGA Hydros, or even the GB G1.

Grassy

Shipping is on the scale of weeks for me since I'm importing to Australia. This should get here within 7 days of Batman coming out, which is the game I want it for the most. I'll just stick with the base one until Big Pascal most likely.

Weeks? How much was the shipping?

I just ordered my second EVGA SC card from Newegg, as I only just found out they ship to Australia, and it was 4-7 days shipping for ~$52.

Still cost ~$970 all-up so I'm not saving much, but no store here has the EVGA SC's in stock and even PC Case Gear would only sell me one card, and wouldn't even let me pre-order a second card until I receive the first one.

Weeks? How much was the shipping?

I just ordered my second EVGA SC card from Newegg, as I only just found out they ship to Australia, and it was 4-7 days shipping for ~$52.

Still cost ~$970 all-up so I'm not saving much, but no store here has the EVGA SC's in stock and even PC Case Gear would only sell me one card, and wouldn't even let me pre-order a second card until I receive the first one.

Like $30 shipping. It reports expected delivery of the 18th. I consider this the latest time it could arrive, since in my experience Amazon delivers things substantially faster than the estimate usually is. I guess they just like to be conservative for intln shipping.

paskowitz

I was hoping it could reach 1600mhz OC and beyond. Need to see more reviews.

I don't think that will be possible without adjusting the power limit in the bios (not something for reference boards). Low 1500s will be a realistic high overclock. What they really need to do is a Hybrid Classified for like $800.

ZOONAMI

Mannnnn I'm looking at this card hard right now. Thing is is that I just built my PC and my Tri X OC 290 is doing gangbusters. I should probably wait till next year and see whats kicking around with VR specs.

Probably won't tho.

Man I feel ya, I am waiting on a 980 ti in the mail and just played the witcher 3 for the first time on my 290x on my 65 inch 4k, was thinking, did I really need to order that? Mainly High settings with some post processing stuff turned down, medium shadows and foliage distance. Was running like a champ, looked amazing.

UnrealEck

Man I feel ya, I am waiting on a 980 ti in the mail and just played the witcher 3 for the first time on my 290x on my 65 inch 4k, was thinking, did I really need to order that? Mainly High settings with some post processing stuff turned down, medium shadows and foliage distance. Was running like a champ, looked amazing.

I think you'll probably appreciate the 980 Ti if you're doing 4K gaming more and more as you play with it in more games.

ref

$820 CAD for these on NCIX/Newegg Canada.

Absurd.

Not that I'd get one, I'll wait it out with my SLI 980's until the 1080ti or later.

The top end of a reference card and an OC'd card are almost entirely silicon lottery either way. The only cards that are binned to be better overclockers are halo products like the Classified, ROG Matrix, and MSI Lightning Extreme.

So your Gigabyte reference card has the same chance for a good OC as one of those EVGA Hydros, or even the GB G1.

Well, yes and no. The reference cards are using a 6-pin and a 8-pin power connector, the non-binned but still custom cooler cards like MSI Gaming 6G, Gigabyte G1 Gaming, and ASUS RoG STRIX are going to use 2 x 8-pin power connectors. So there's more power headroom, plus the better coolers don't let the core get as hot which helps with stability at high OCs. So you're playing core lottery yes but there are other factors which influence your top OC potential.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
So I game at 1080p and realise that this card is more for higher resolutions but I was wondering how many years do you think you could get out of this card for smashing every game, even poorly optimised ones, at 60fps constant ?

I know thats not exactly a question that can really be answered as things are always changing, I guess its more a guess :)

dr_rus

UnrealEck

So I game at 1080p and realise that this card is more for higher resolutions but I was wondering how many years do you think you could get out of this card for smashing every game, even poorly optimised ones, at 60fps constant ?

I know thats not exactly a question that can really be answered as things are always changing, I guess its more a guess :)

I'd guess two at the most.

I have some colleagues in the US right now and I was hoping to order one and have one of them bring it along. Could someone point out where I could buy one? They're sold out on both Amazon and nvidia's site.

Never go SLI/CF is you have a single chip/card option. That's my position.

I wouldn't count on a big Pascal appearing as GeForce earlier than 2017. It does make sense to tape it out first for the HPC market to retire GK110 though.

As in that B3D thread someone points out, HBM2 adoption could at least initially,from a cost point of view, make more sense in bigger/more premium chips.

OmegaX06

My card finally arrives in the mail today, yay. I also just sold my two 6970's for $180 on ebay. I think that was more then fair.

LaneDS

I wouldn't count on a big Pascal appearing as GeForce earlier than 2017. It does make sense to tape it out first for the HPC market to retire GK110 though.

What makes you think it'll be such a long wait? Asking only out of curiosity.

gatti-man

Apparently they make three, send them to random dimension and they're never heard from again. I'm not sure why I even bother anymore because the process is so infinitely fucking frustrating.

Yup. You would think they would get tired of resellers taking tons of profit off the card and just make fucking more. This shit has been going on for as long as I can remember with evga.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
What are people looking at for aftermarket cooling? The reference doesn't cool very well AT ALL and I am having to pull back my OCs.

gatti-man

Never go SLI/CF is you have a single chip/card option. That's my position.

Everything that's going on makes me think you are wrong. When Nvidia doesn't have anything big in the pipe prices tend to stay high for its max cards. It just threw out amazing value with the 980ti. Why? Because Nvidia hates money? Or could it be they know the AMD card is that much faster?

I honestly believe they know they have a monster soon to release and they won't everyone to double dip. 980ti now and pascal in 6 months when it crushes the TI. We will see.

Top Bottom