• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia announces the GTX 980 Ti | $650 £550 €605

IMACOMPUTA

Ugh, this sucks. I really want to order one before my colleagues leave the US on the 13th. Does anyone know if custom cooler models will be out by then? At NORMAL prices hopefully...

I'm in the same boat. I need one by June 20th.
I really don't want to be forced to buy the reference model!

dr_rus

What makes you think it'll be such a long wait? Asking only out of curiosity.

Costs of producing a big GPU on a new node alone nevermind the added HBM2 costs will be too high to introduce it into gaming / mainstream market in 2016.

gatti-man

Costs of producing a big GPU on a new node alone nevermind the added HBM2 costs will be too high to introduce it into gaming / mainstream market in 2016.

An $800-$,1000 card isn't mainstream. It's coming in 2016 for sure. When is the only question.

mkenyon

Banned
Well, yes and no. The reference cards are using a 6-pin and a 8-pin power connector, the non-binned but still custom cooler cards like MSI Gaming 6G, Gigabyte G1 Gaming, and ASUS RoG STRIX are going to use 2 x 8-pin power connectors. So there's more power headroom, plus the better coolers don't let the core get as hot which helps with stability at high OCs. So you're playing core lottery yes but there are other factors which influence your top OC potential.
Power headroom has been shown to have zero effect on OC potential. It's more like, if you get lucky on silicon lottery and can start putting more power into it, then it does. But it's still all down to silicon lottery, and factory OC'd cards are not binned.

dr_rus

An $800-$,1000 card isn't mainstream. It's coming in 2016 for sure. When is the only question.

It would have to cost much more than that probably. One Tesla card based on GK110 cost $3500. You're underestimating the cost of a big GPU made on a new production process. There's a reason why both GK104 and Tahiti launched on a rather high price points and why GK110 found itself in a $1000 Titan at first - and almost half a year after it was used in Tesla cards.

gatti-man

It would have to cost much more than that probably. One Tesla card based on GK110 cost $3500. You're underestimating the cost of a big GPU made on a new production process. There's a reason why both GK104 and Tahiti launched on a rather high price points and why GK110 found itself in a $1000 Titan at first - and almost half a year after it was used in Tesla cards.

You're comparing apples and oranges here. Consumer GPUs and Developer GPUs don't have the same price structure or sales volume. A Titan is a hybrid gpu between the two markets.

mkenyon

Banned
980 Ti Classy Kingpin:

LL

LL

LL

Are nvidia reference models usually decent? I mean, if I don't plan to overclock them they should suffice right? Asking because it is in stock on nvidia.com and I need to decide whether I want one by next week.

pa22word

Thats a lot of juice, does EVGA offer a different warranty policy on the kingpin cards?

I imagine it's the same, but anyone buying it is probably buying it with the intent to void the fuck out of it immediately, so if you're worrying (and please don't take this the wrong way) about it this probably isn't the card for you.

You'd be better off and save a lot of money getting one of the more "standard" non-ref cards that aren't built to withstand the insane shit that hardcore overclockers do to Kingpin cards.

bathsalts

I imagine it's the same, but anyone buying it is probably buying it with the intent to void the fuck out of it immediately, so if you're worrying (and please don't take this the wrong way) about it this probably isn't the card for you.

You'd be better off and save a lot of money getting one of the more "standard" non-ref cards that aren't built to withstand the insane shit that hardcore overclockers do to Kingpin cards.

I have no intention of buying it, was just curious since it comes with voltages unlocked by default.

Zaph

Guessing there's no point getting the Kingpin over the Classified if you're keeping it on air?

Surprised they're not doing a binned + AIO card. Lazy people like myself would buy it in a heartbeat.

mkenyon

Banned
Guessing there's no point getting the Kingpin over the Classified if you're keeping it on air?

Surprised they're not doing a binned + AIO card. Lazy people like myself would buy it in a heartbeat.
I don't think they'll have any problems selling all of these :p

They're not really aimed at gaming cards though. Unless you put a block on it.

dr_rus

You're comparing apples and oranges here. Consumer GPUs and Developer GPUs don't have the same price structure or sales volume. A Titan is a hybrid gpu between the two markets.

That's why it won't be economically feasible to introduce a big Pascal GPU to gaming market in 2016. And Tesla has nothing to do with developers as well as a Titan X is not a hybrid of any kind.

Sanjay

Just got my Gigabyte reference card in the mail. Got it running with +250Mhz on the gpu core and +200Mhz on the memory without increasing the voltage.

Ran a quick comparison with my "old" GTX980, here are the results. Quite happy with them, sadly my second 980ti won't arrive till next monday :(
FbOZNYE.png

Here are the results without overclocking the 980ti vs 980.

This is very helpful information, and bad, making me want to upgrade now.

I don't think that will be possible without adjusting the power limit in the bios (not something for reference boards). Low 1500s will be a realistic high overclock. What they really need to do is a Hybrid Classified for like $800.

You can get the same OC with air. So only good if you like low db and temps I guess.

Zornack

Man, I really need to get a watercooling setup going so that I can fall into the hole of overclocking a kingpin as far as it'll go. Someday~

Just pre-ordered the EVGA GTX 980 Ti Superclocked with back plate. I know it's more expensive than some others, but I still love EVGA's warranty over the other companies.

Top Bottom