• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia announces the GTX 980 Ti | $650 £550 €605

Running at 120hz fixes this.

Individual games can be set to 144hz within their own options when necessary I've found.
I keep it at 120 Hz while on the desktop because of it and set it to 144 in games, would just be nice to be able to have it while browsing as well.
Make a custom fan profile?
If you run in 144hz on the desktop the videocard never idles, changing the fan profile wouldn't change that.

lmbotiva

just preordered the MSI gaming edition from B&H, lets hope they send the right card, all the descriptions on their site seems accurate but the price is to cheap so im thinking they might send the reference card, only $669.99, aren't this cards with custom coolers a bit more expensive?

What retailers are good with giving the free Nvidia games? Amazon were douches and did not give me whatever free game was out when the 780 Ti came out. So I have to decide if free 2 day shipping is worth it, or to have to pay for shipping from another eretailer and get the Batman code.

Serick

Married Member
I ordered an EVGA 980 ACX 2.0 on Newegg on May 14th. I should be able to use their Step-Up program to upgrade to a 980 Ti ACX 2.0, right?

Yes, the only catch is you needed to have registered your card with EVGA within 14 days of the purchase date otherwise you'll need to buy an extended warranty. The warranty will transfer to your 980ti though.

jfoul

For dudes with Discover cards and plan to buy from Amazon there is 5% cash back bonus you have to activate through Discover, and if you have the "IT" card you can call in to see if you qualify for this bonus...

http://slickdeals.net/f/7889421-discover-it-card-double-your-cashback-for-twelve-months-ymmv?v=1

That's some nice savings or at-least recoup some of that tax.

Nice.

Right now I'm not seeing the Amazon 5% cash back, so it might not be active until next quarter. Would be nice if Best Buy had some cards in stock, the 10% movers coupon works and can be used online now. Discover also has 5% cashback at Best Buy atm.

Xyber

I keep it at 120 Hz while on the desktop because of it and set it to 144 in games, would just be nice to be able to have it while browsing as well.

If you run in 144hz on the desktop the videocard never idles, changing the fan profile wouldn't change that.

My 970 never wants to go to idle even at 120Hz. Or well, never is not entirely true. When I got the card it idled like it should, then somewhere down the line it decided not to. Then I tried to fix it and after many driver uninstalls and whatnot I got it to work for a while, but didn't take long for it to never idle again.

Some say the problem was because of dual monitors and I could get it to clock down when I disabled one monitor back then. Now it does nothing and it stays at 40% power no matter what.

I have found one solution that works to force it clock down, in Nvidia Inspector you have this which can force it into idle clocks.
aBeZlKq.png

The problem is that it can mess with overclocks if you enable it to run at startup, it activates before afterburner and afterburner can't apply the clocks after that or something.

This shit is a bit annoying since I know the card can run at ~35C while idle when it works properly and it sucks that I have to use some software to fix an issue that is there for no real reason at all. There's absolutely no problems running 2 monitors (one of them at 144Hz) at idle clocks.

So currently I am sticking with this power saver thingy with GPU usage threshold set at 30%. Keeps the clock down on desktop and got no problems with it in games. Only thing is that I have to remember to run it manually after a reboot.

Gritesh

Yay another 900 dollar offering.

Why can't these cards come sensibly priced I mean anything more than 500 bucks for a card is an immediate nope for me.

I think this is about my sweet spot for OC'ing. The memory OC is insane.

Temps hover around 76/77 degrees. If I put the GPU clock offset any higher I start getting artifacting.

Witcher 3 drops are now lowest at about 52-54fps, but that is pretty rare. It's almost a constant 60fps now. (2560x1440 maxed without hairworks)

Overall I am very happy.

The memory is so OC-able because it's actually clocked under its 2000Mhz (8Ghz effective) spec to 1750Mhz.

Why can't these cards come sensibly priced I mean anything more than 500 bucks for a card is an immediate nope for me.

$900 because Amazon is jacking up the price... Amazon is probably jacking up the price due to the high demand. They'll drop it when they start losing business to lower priced competitors.

The memory is so OC-able because it's actually clocked under its 2000Mhz (8Ghz effective) spec to 1750Mhz.

$900 because Amazon is jacking up the price... Amazon is probably jacking up the price due to the high demand. They'll drop it when they start losing business to lower priced competitors.

Link please? I would be very surprised if you found a page where "Amazon" is selling these above retail. More than likely it is a third party seller trying to make a quick buck off of people that can't wait a week or two the have the latest and greatest.

x3sphere

Link please? I would be very surprised if you found a page where "Amazon" is selling these above retail. More than likely it is a third party seller trying to make a quick buck off of people that can't wait a week or two the have the latest and greatest.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YDAYOK0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Amazon had it in stock earlier today and was showing $901. Wasn't a third party seller either.

edit: someone saved screenshots here http://amazonpricegouge.com/

ZOONAMI

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YDAYOK0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Amazon had it in stock earlier today and was showing $901. Wasn't a third party seller either.

edit: someone saved screenshots here http://amazonpricegouge.com/

Isn't this just a result of free market capitalism? Adjusting prices for limited stock items isn't anything new. This isn't like an emergency hurricane situation where vendors are preying on the desperate for necessary supplies. There are laws on the books against those types of situations, but not for a video card lol.

x3sphere

Isn't this just a result of free market capitalism? Adjusting prices for limited stock items isn't anything new. This isn't like an emergency hurricane situation where vendors are preying on the desperate for necessary supplies. There are laws on the books against those types of situations, but not for a video card lol.

Since stock is really low I'm wondering if they did it to avoid some third party seller buying up all the cards then sell at a markup (afaik, they don't have any item per customer limits like Newegg). Anyone that bought it will probably get refunded once more stock comes in and the real list price is shown. I've purchased items that went down in price during the return period before and Amazon was more than happy to refund me the difference.

ZOONAMI

Since stock is really low I'm wondering if they did it to avoid some third party seller buying up all the cards then sell at a markup (afaik, they don't have any item per customer limits like Newegg). Anyone that bought it will probably get refunded once more stock comes in and the real list price is shown. I've purchased items that went down in price during the return period before and Amazon was more than happy to refund me the difference.

Yeah that could be, some rich folk out there probably just don't give a damn and wouldn't bother calling customer support too.

Caayn

I'm guessing +250Mhz is the highest you could get it?
Jup, going to +275Mhz causes the driver to crash a lot.

Edit:
Using EVGA Precision prevents the card from downclocking when running idle, causing it to continuously run at 999Mhz all the time at minimum even when no programs are open. But when using MSI afterburner the card downclocks nicelyt o 135Mhz. Don't know what's causing this.

DBT85

They get away with it because enough people pay it, same with anything.

They could easily sell them for less, but AMD need to give them a reason to do so. Waiting to see what they pull out of the hat with Fury is what is making me just wait.

Though I have gone from looking to spend sub £300 on something like a 290x to getting something like this or the Fury (I'm a 2560x1600 guy and don't play the Crysis and GTA type games) and a new case set up for watercooling for the first time in nearly a decade.

GHG

I'm going for it.

Put in a special order for an EVGA 980 ti Hybrid. This review sold me:

http://youtu.be/qtRqmzRMar8

Current ETA is a couple of weeks. The wait will be painful.

Question: there is nothing stopping me from sli'ing a couple of these later down the line provided I have room for another 120mm fan right?

cirrhosis

How much does the step up program cost?

With eVGA step-up, you usually pay the difference between the card you want to move up to - difference being the prices on their website. You need to register your previous card within 30 days after you buy it though. Think there is a limited period that step-up is an option, like 90 days or something.

GHG

How much are you paying? I think I remember you said you're in the UAE.

Works out around 800 USD.

Not bad considering other places here are selling reference cards for over 900 USD.

This really is not the place to be for computer hardware...

dork

Banned
Waiting for newegg to have it back in stock. I don't think I need anything else then the plain model they have

Yes, the only catch is you needed to have registered your card with EVGA within 14 days of the purchase date otherwise you'll need to buy an extended warranty. The warranty will transfer to your 980ti though.

Cool, thanks! Just bought the extended warranty. Can't believe I forgot to register the card before.

dmr87

I have the money right now in my account ready to go, and the freaking EVGA models are sold out everywhere. Fantastic.

Doesn't hurt to wait until AMD shows their hand, it's so close now. Looks like most custom cards will go come out around late:ish June, early July.

Xtyle

Is that within 14 days starting from the day I receive the card or from the order day?

Doesn't hurt to wait until AMD shows their hand, it's so close now. Looks like most custom cards will go come out around late:ish June, early July.

Not to be an "Nvidia" warrior but I will most likely never buy an AMD card. Their driver support isn't good enough for me and I don't want to lose all the exclusive features that Nvidia cards get.

AMD could launch a card both cheaper and more powerful than the 980ti and I probably wouldn't buy it.

Here's my current situation:

I have that best buy coupon for triple reward points

best buy does not have the 980ti

they DO have 970's and 980's that are evga brand

I've never used the step up program before. Would I be able to buy the 970/980 card now to get my points, then just go through evga to get the ti when available?

edit: i understand this is a ridiculous scenario

Top Bottom