• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia announces the GTX 980 Ti | $650 £550 €605

Psykoboy2

Not to be an "Nvidia" warrior but I will most likely never buy an AMD card. Their driver support isn't good enough for me and I don't want to lose all the exclusive features that Nvidia cards get.

AMD could launch a card both cheaper and more powerful than the 980ti and I probably wouldn't buy it.

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you on this, but I'm waiting to see if whatever AMD does might change Nvidia's prices a little bit.

Have any decently superclocked versions been on sale yet?

Because given my history with shit video cards that don't overclock... I think I'm going to wait until I can get a decent superclocked version and then sell my TitanX.

AMD could launch a card both cheaper and more powerful than the 980ti and I probably wouldn't buy it.

As someone that relies too heavily on Nvidia's custom resolution support, I'll probably never switch to an AMD card.

Damaniel

Banned
Not to be an "Nvidia" warrior but I will most likely never buy an AMD card. Their driver support isn't good enough for me and I don't want to lose all the exclusive features that Nvidia cards get.

Same here. I've been burned by their drivers in the past, and I think I had exactly two or three games that could run on my Crossfire setup without actually performing worse than just using one card. I disabled Crossfire on far more games than I enabled it on, so one of my GPUs pretty much sat unused most of the time.

I have my 980Ti installed now and I'm quite happy with it. Witcher 3 at 1440p/60fps with everything cranked all the way up (except Hairworks - that's still too much) is awesome compared to the 30fps I was getting at ~high settings on my 680.

paskowitz

I think I'm going to wait for MSI's 980 Ti Lightning. Higher clock, water cooled with Corsair AIO, crazy yellow color scheme. As long as it isn't crazy expensive like a Kingpin it seems one the card to get.

I'm kind of settling down about having to wait a month for the Classified. I'm hoping my first 144hz G-sync monitor holds me over for a while on my ole' 780 Ti. I'll play some less demanding games in the mean time. I'd like to try Heroes of the Storm, but I have a feeling I'll get bulldozed at this point since everyone has been playing that game for a while now. I can also test how much better GTA 5 plays with G-sync on the 780 Ti, then later test it out on the 980 Ti.

I'm kind of settling down about having to wait a month for the Classified. I'm hoping my first 144hz G-sync monitor holds me over for a while on my ole' 780 Ti. I'll play some less demanding games in the mean time. I'd like to try Heroes of the Storm, but I have a feeling I'll get bulldozed at this point since everyone has been playing that game for a while now. I can also test how much better GTA 5 plays with G-sync on the 780 Ti, then later test it out on the 980 Ti.

There's a good gaf group of players that are very newb friendly but the beta and alpha players of hots is such a small percentage of players that you'll be fine. There's a ton of higher level players who don't know what the Hell they're doing as well as lower level guys who are just playing their first games

Let me summarize my earlier question in a better way:

If I buy a 970/980 today can I step up to a 980ti when the card becomes available?

zon

I'm going for it.

Put in a special order for an EVGA 980 ti Hybrid. This review sold me:

http://youtu.be/qtRqmzRMar8

Current ETA is a couple of weeks. The wait will be painful.

Question: there is nothing stopping me from sli'ing a couple of these later down the line provided I have room for another 120mm fan right?

Where are you supposed to attach the 120 fan? Video didn't show that.

Here's my current situation:

I have that best buy coupon for triple reward points

best buy does not have the 980ti

they DO have 970's and 980's that are evga brand

I've never used the step up program before. Would I be able to buy the 970/980 card now to get my points, then just go through evga to get the ti when available?

edit: i understand this is a ridiculous scenario

Yes you can stepup to a 980ti, I bought a 980 the other day cause I needed a gpu and no 980ti in stock. Probably going to stepup in a few weeks.

LaneDS

Ordered one, which took some convincing of myself.

Will likely sell it when Pascal hits next year, which I'm hoping isn't right at the start of the year just for peace of mind with the purchase.

paskowitz

Had this card been confirmed?

It was strongly hinted at.

msi_980ti_liquid_cooling.jpg

molnizzle

In any of your standard 120mm fan vents in your case as long as it fits ok but being a 120mm RAD it should fit in most cases.

Fuck. Node 304 has two 92mm intakes and a 140mm exhaust. I could really benefit from the increased cooling with such a small case. Too bad. =(

EDIT: Silly me, didn't realize the stock 140mm exhaust could be replaced by a 120mm. Or stay alongside it in push-pull.

That settles it then, EVGA Hybrid it is.

My 970 never wants to go to idle even at 120Hz. Or well, never is not entirely true. When I got the card it idled like it should, then somewhere down the line it decided not to. Then I tried to fix it and after many driver uninstalls and whatnot I got it to work for a while, but didn't take long for it to never idle again.

Some say the problem was because of dual monitors and I could get it to clock down when I disabled one monitor back then. Now it does nothing and it stays at 40% power no matter what.

I have found one solution that works to force it clock down, in Nvidia Inspector you have this which can force it into idle clocks.
aBeZlKq.png

The problem is that it can mess with overclocks if you enable it to run at startup, it activates before afterburner and afterburner can't apply the clocks after that or something.

This shit is a bit annoying since I know the card can run at ~35C while idle when it works properly and it sucks that I have to use some software to fix an issue that is there for no real reason at all. There's absolutely no problems running 2 monitors (one of them at 144Hz) at idle clocks.

So currently I am sticking with this power saver thingy with GPU usage threshold set at 30%. Keeps the clock down on desktop and got no problems with it in games. Only thing is that I have to remember to run it manually after a reboot.

I just received my new 144Hz monitor and my 970 isn't doing this with just my new one enabled. Is your global settings for Power Management Mode set to Adaptive in the NVidia control panel??

Display driver kernal keeps crashing for a few seconds every now and again while on the desktop, any advice?

Had this problem a few weeks ago in an extreme fashion. Tried everything, nothing worked except this:

Went into BIOS and set PCI lane for the card to another lane (2 in my case) + set the card to "always prefer high performance" in Nvidia control center.

My driver crashing stopped after that, but there is no happy end to this in my case. My 780 OC died last saturday and now I'm waiting for my 980ti to arrive (I loved the 780 OC, great card, RIP).

Now, I'm not saying the driver crashing is related to a slowly malfunctioning card, I have no expertise to say anything in that direction, but in my case I think that was somehow related. A sign that my card was coming to it's end.

Are you overclocked?
I haven't done any overclocking yet, SC EVGA ACX though

Now, I'm not saying the driver crashing is related to a slowly malfunctioning card, I have no expertise to say anything in that direction, but in my case I think that was somehow related. A sign that my card was coming to it's end.

Oh boy, well at least there's a warranty if it goes down that dark route :p

Hopefully just a driver issue as Tro mentioned. Just annoying.

Robert7lee

Neo Member
Been trying out a bunch of games since installing thus card, only got the reference card (msi) because it was in stock. At 1080p with vsync, upgraded from the original titan.

Witcher 3 maxed out with out hair works still reaches 95% gpu usage in areas, still get stuttering in towns and villages.

Assassins creed unity is insane, at maxed with only Fxaa on it still reaches 99% gpu usage in menu and cutscenes, just ridiculous game.

Project cars can't have rain drops feature without experiencing frame rate drops, gutted.

Watch dogs at last runs without hitches whilst driving, I am truly amazed.

Far cry 4 experience a lot of stuttering, just annoying.

Shadow of Mordor is still one of the smoothest games I've played on the pc, nice to crank this game to max including foliage.

Banned
Ah newegg Canada and Purolator. Your shipping services have denied me my PC gaming for the weekend :( and I ordered Monday morning.

Wandering Ronin

Neo Member
I just picked up the evga sc w/backplate model on newegg. They're still in stock at this time if anyone else is interested. Just be preprared to be held hostage for an extra $20.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=6202798&SID=

I almost didn't buy it, but it's only $20 and my time spent stalking the internet for this card is worth way more than $20 lol. :)

This is currently in stock on the EVGA main site. Its stayed in stock for 10 minutes so far too. Kind of surprising.

http://www.evga.com/Products/Produc...=GeForce+900+Series+Family&chipset=GTX+980+Ti

spicy cho

I'm very pleased with the acx 2.0+ SC version. It stays very cool and quiet, should be able to OC well if theres ever a game I can't completely max out. The fans don't even spin up until the card hits 60C.

HelloMeow

I haven't done any overclocking yet, SC EVGA ACX though

Oh boy, well at least there's a warranty if it goes down that dark route :p

Hopefully just a driver issue as Tro mentioned. Just annoying.

You could try downclocking it by 100MHz and see if that works.

My EVGA 980 SC (not ti) would regularly cause a display driver crash, but a -45MHz offset fixed it. It just wasn't stable at stock settings, so I sent it to be replaced.

bodine1231

Can someone with 980ti SLI try going to Novigrad Square in Witcher 3 during the daytime and check their frames and gpu usage for me? With my 980 ti SLI's I'm getting 40fps with 60% gpu usage on both cards,it only happens in this area. Out in the field and in other towns/cities I'm getting 80fps with max gpu usage. This is at 1440p with everything maxed (hairworks on,ultra foliage,etc.). There are alot of NPC's (kids running around,firebreathers,jugglers,etc.) so maybe this part puts a strain on the cpu? Its just weird that this section gets such low gpu usage.

blado

Got my 980 Ti in and it's a beast. I loved my 980, but it just wasn't enough for 1440p at max settings. Unfortunately I had to settle for a reference, but it's not loud enough to make me regret it too much. I might buy a CLC or a custom cooler for it somewhere down the line though.

Jin

Can someone with 980ti SLI try going to Novigrad Square in Witcher 3 during the daytime and check their frames and gpu usage for me? With my 980 ti SLI's I'm getting 40fps with 60% gpu usage on both cards,it only happens in this area. Out in the field and in other towns/cities I'm getting 80fps with max gpu usage. This is at 1440p with everything maxed (hairworks on,ultra foliage,etc.). There are alot of NPC's (kids running around,firebreathers,jugglers,etc.) so maybe this part puts a strain on the cpu? Its just weird that this section gets such low gpu usage.

1440p 980ti SLI everything max including hairworks, no aa. I get 80+ in Novigrad. Maybe dips to 70ish I think. In certain parts where there's not a lot of NPC I saw my fps jump to 100 for a brief moment. Definitely nowhere near 40s. I get 95+% scaling according to Evga precision.

lmbotiva

are the EVGA cards known for having coil whine problems? just asking because ive always had MSI and im kinda freaking out because i order an EVGA lol

are the EVGA cards known for having coil whine problems? just asking because ive always had MSI and im kinda freaking out because i order an EVGA lol

They have one of if not the best warranties and customer service. There have been some models in the past that have had coil whine, but I don't feel like they are particularly known for it.

Top Bottom