• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia announces the GTX 980 Ti | $650 £550 €605

lmbotiva

how much extra does MSI usually charges for the gaming edition of their cards? how much was the 980 gaming when it came out?

Thing about MSI Twin Frozr V is that it still only has 2 fans. ASUS DirectCU III and Gigabyte Windforce have 3 fans. If we assume that fans obey the laws of physics, having 3 fans means you can push more air past a heatsink assembly than having 2 fans at the same rotational speed. Whether this actually is meaningful in real world performance is a mystery since the design of the heatsink itself and how large and how well designed the fans are also matter. Not surprisingly, the OEMs don't seem too keen on having their coolers compared head-to-head, as Googling for reviews which strictly are about comparing Twin Frozr, DirectCU, and Windforce has little result.

GHG

The only reason I feel that I have to go with EVGA is because they are they only ones to truly offer global warranty. Everyone else you seem to be stuck with just the retailer warranty, which is just a year here in the UAE. Not good enough IMO.

EVGA's customer service is also a cut above the rest. Heard some real horror stories with some of the others if you are outside of the US/Canada.

The only reason I feel that I have to go with EVGA is because they are they only ones to truly offer global warranty. Everyone else you seem to be stuck with just the retailer warranty, which is just a year here in the UAE. Not good enough IMO.

EVGA's customer service is also a cut above the rest. Heard some real horror stories with some of the others if you are outside of the US/Canada.

That's the reason I stick with EVGA, honestly. When my 9800GX2 (shit card, let me tell you) broke down about a year after I bought it, they just sent me a refurbished one, and then when that broke down a couple months later, sent me another refurbished one. Earned my continued business after that

jfoul

Thing about MSI Twin Frozr V is that it still only has 2 fans. ASUS DirectCU III and Gigabyte Windforce have 3 fans. If we assume that fans obey the laws of physics, having 3 fans means you can push more air past a heatsink assembly than having 2 fans at the same rotational speed. Whether this actually is meaningful in real world performance is a mystery since the design of the heatsink itself and how large and how well designed the fans are also matter. Not surprisingly, the OEMs don't seem too keen on having their coolers compared head-to-head, as Googling for reviews which strictly are about comparing Twin Frozr, DirectCU, and Windforce has little result.

The MSI Twin Frozr is wider and has slightly bigger fans, similar to the Asus Strix line. I had 3x Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970, 2x Asus Strix GTX970 and an EVGA GTX970 FTW+. The EVGA FTW+ was the best of the three, but the G1 was pretty close.

The FTW+ had higher clocks, 0db mode, active VRM cooling, Dual Bios, 6 Phase Power, Memory MOSFET Cooling Plate, the back plate had thermal pads cooling the back side memory.

If I decide to buy a GTX 980ti over the Fury X, I'm hoping the EVGA GTX980 has the same features and cooling of the EVGA GTX970 FTW+.

Bah, I got so excited when I saw these were in stock on EVGA's site. However, I can't seem to select any other country besides US or Canada for the billing address. :( I'm assuming I can't place an order if my billing address is different from my card's actual one.

jfoul

I'm going for it.

Put in a special order for an EVGA 980 ti Hybrid. This review sold me:

http://youtu.be/qtRqmzRMar8

Current ETA is a couple of weeks. The wait will be painful.

Question: there is nothing stopping me from sli'ing a couple of these later down the line provided I have room for another 120mm fan right?

Yeah, I think I'm done with air cooling my GPUs. The 295X2 kicked off retail AIO GPU cooling, and it's just going to get better.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Yeah, importing EVGA's "Superclocked" 980 Ti would cost me roughly $140 less than if I were to buy it locally and there'd be nothing to worry about should the card die during the warranty period. Since Steam's Summer Sale is this month rather than next, I'll probably do just that once I receive my tax refund.

I think I'm going to return the Cooler Master Elite 130 mITX case I just bought. I like it a lot, but it only has one 120mm fan slot, and that EVGA 980Ti Hybrid is looking suuuuuuuuper nice right now

Damn those EVGA cards are still in stock...
http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=06G-P4-4995-KR

Meanwhile both Amazon and Newegg are jacking up prices
Tempted to go for that one but I think I'm going to fork over the extra bucks and go for the water cooled version.

Or just wait for the MSI version but August seems so far.

msi_980ti_liquid_cooling.jpg

Caayn

Bah, I got so excited when I saw these were in stock on EVGA's site. However, I can't seem to select any other country besides US or Canada for the billing address. :( I'm assuming I can't place an order if my billing address is different from my card's actual one.
Make sure that the region on the top right is set to your region. EVGA ships to more than just North-America, as long as you select the proper region ;)

I'm going for it.

Put in a special order for an EVGA 980 ti Hybrid. This review sold me:

http://youtu.be/qtRqmzRMar8

Current ETA is a couple of weeks. The wait will be painful.

Question: there is nothing stopping me from sli'ing a couple of these later down the line provided I have room for another 120mm fan right?

Fuck, that review sold me too. I actually have to get a whole new case now that has a second 120mm fan slot, but it'll be totally worth it. Would push-pull just be totally overkill?

Also no, nothing is stopping you from SLI-ing if you got the fan slot to spare

jfoul

For single GPUs, aircooling is fine. But multi-GPU setups or 2xGPU single cards like the 295X2 scream for water.

It's all preference and need. I personally don't like hot air from the GPU getting pumped into my case, and I don't really like reference blower coolers. I've also been building since 1998, and it gives me something to tinker with.

mdzapeer

I am in the UAE as well, really itching to get this bad boy. Not gonna get it at retail over here too much price gouging going around.

EVGA support is good you say? I was looking at their Hybrid 980Ti which online store should I buy from?

PS: How is the reference cooler? Using Windforce 670 now, and I am pretty 'statisfied' with its performance. Its pretty quite as well.

GHG

I am in the UAE as well, really itching to get this bad boy. Not gonna get it at retail over here too much price gouging going around.

EVGA support is good you say? I was looking at their Hybrid 980Ti which online store should I buy from?

PS: How is the reference cooler? Using Windforce 670 now, and I am pretty 'statisfied' with its performance. Its pretty quite as well.

If you want the hybrid in the UAE then you have 2 options at the moment:

1. Go through gear-up.me . Contact them via email to ask about getting a special order on the hybrid through them. Make sure you quote the part number (P/N: 06G-P4-1996-KR) in your message to them.

2. Wait for it to come in stock again on the EVGA US website, sign up to shopandship.com and get your order sent via them.

As far as I know EVGA are the only ones that offer a true global warranty on their parts. That's important in this region as many other manufacturers will just leave you high and dry unless you are lucky enough to still be in the retailers 1 year warranty period.

Reference coolers are only good if you plan/want to go SLI IMO. If not, always go with a custom solution.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
So I've bought myself the EVGA GeForce GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0+ due to budget at the minute (and it'll still be a big step up from my GTX670). Can you step up to the Ti program with that program of theres or is it just usually the next model up ?

Just curious really :)

With a 2xGPU card, it makes a ton of sense but it's kind of tricky finding room for multiple radiators and tubing if you're looking at AIO water cooling for SLI.

Dumb question, but could you use one aio card, and one reference with a blower? I saw a couple pages back where someone said that blowers are better for sli.

GHG

Dumb question, but could you use one aio card, and one reference with a blower? I saw a couple pages back where someone said that blowers are better for sli.

Yes but the whole point of the AIO's is to increase overclocking potential.

If you have your AIO card highly overclocked the chances that a reference cooler card will be able to match it will be very slim. So your AIO will down clock to match the reference cards clocks in an SLI scenario.

So yes you can, but it's not really worth it. Either get both cards with the AIO or save a bit and get both reference IMO.

knitoe

What GHG said. And, you only want reference over custom coolers if your case have poor airflow and/or the cards are sitting on top of each other without any spacing. Otherwise, custom performs much better and are quieter. I just switch from reference to EVGA AC 2+ on my Titans X and are getting better OC / lower temps => way less throttling / quieter in W3.

MountZion

Neo Member
i was wondering if somebody could help me out - I currently have an aging i7 990x and an original titan. I am looking at buying a 980 ti SC.... do you think my cpu would be a bottleneck for that card? Not thinking of SLI or anything just single GPU......

So I've bought myself the EVGA GeForce GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0+ due to budget at the minute (and it'll still be a big step up from my GTX670). Can you step up to the Ti program with that program of theres or is it just usually the next model up ?

Just curious really :)

After you registered your card and start the progress, there's a list of what you qualify for, I think it's also listed on their website.

Yes. SLI requiring two cards of identical make/model is ancient history.

Er, no it isn't exactly. You still run into issues if you don't and a lot of people end up using DifferentSLI to make it work. I have the same issue and I have a EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0 and a EVGA GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0. Could not get SLI to work unless I used DifferentSLI. https://github.com/EmberVulpix/DifferentSLIAuto

i was wondering if somebody could help me out - I currently have an aging i7 990x and an original titan. I am looking at buying a 980 ti SC.... do you think my cpu would be a bottleneck for that card? Not thinking of SLI or anything just single GPU......

That CPU is still a beast, you shouldn't have any issues with it and a 980 Ti.

You rarely ever see Gulftown CPUs in benchmarks but just based off of where Sandybridge i7 sit on those benchmarks, I can't imagine your 6 core Gulftown won't do at least as well and better if overclocked. I've seen a lot of people still using Bloomfield CPUs and overclocked they still seem very viable.

mdzapeer

If you want the hybrid in the UAE then you have 2 options at the moment:

1. Go through gear-up.me . Contact them via email to ask about getting a special order on the hybrid through them. Make sure you quote the part number (P/N: 06G-P4-1996-KR) in your message to them.

2. Wait for it to come in stock again on the EVGA US website, sign up to shopandship.com and get your order sent via them.

As far as I know EVGA are the only ones that offer a true global warranty on their parts. That's important in this region as many other manufacturers will just leave you high and dry unless you are lucky enough to still be in the retailers 1 year warranty period.

Reference coolers are only good if you plan/want to go SLI IMO. If not, always go with a custom solution.

Thanks already use shop and ship. Hmm evga have this in stock....

Reference 980ti

DBT85

Mostly decided at this point to just buy an OCUK card with the waterblock already attached, either this or a Fury depending on specs and reviews.

UnrealEck

How about Gigabyte.

I saw that earlier and forgot about it.
I plan on buying a white case and I have white memory and I want a white motherboard (maybe the MSI Krait if I stick with current gen Intel). I'd have to buy the case first though because I don't think that card will fit in my current case. The regular Twin Frozr cards fit in with just a centimetre or two to spare.
I'm also thinking about the price. The G1 is usually a pretty expensive card.

I saw that earlier and forgot about it.
I plan on buying a white case and I have white memory and I want a white motherboard (maybe the MSI Krait if I stick with current gen Intel). I'd have to buy the case first though because I don't think that card will fit in my current case. The regular Twin Frozr cards fit in with just a centimetre or two to spare.
I'm also thinking about the price. The G1 is usually a pretty expensive card.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125787&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10440897&PID=3891137&SID=rewrite

If you're trying to save money though you probably shouldn't be buying on the basis of colour IMHO. :p

Maybe $50?

Every little helps.

I've mentioned before but i'll be building a new PC around that time but I'd really like to go 1440p or 4k if I could, but if the price is so skewed (and performance I spose) then I'd really want to prioritize a GSYNC monitor, and I heard a bunch of IPS ones are coming out soon which is good.

Don't know if I could afford two GSYNC monitors (I use two monitors at the moment and have no idea if one GSYNC and one non would cause any issues) and tbh I'd rather not SLI it, just have never really had great experiences with multi-GPU setups. Plus that little bit quieter the better :p

MountZion

Neo Member
After you registered your card and start the progress, there's a list of what you qualify for, I think it's also listed on their website.

Er, no it isn't exactly. You still run into issues if you don't and a lot of people end up using DifferentSLI to make it work. I have the same issue and I have a EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0 and a EVGA GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0. Could not get SLI to work unless I used DifferentSLI. https://github.com/EmberVulpix/DifferentSLIAuto

That CPU is still a beast, you shouldn't have any issues with it and a 980 Ti.

You rarely ever see Gulftown CPUs in benchmarks but just based off of where Sandybridge i7 sit on those benchmarks, I can't imagine your 6 core Gulftown won't do at least as well and better if overclocked. I've seen a lot of people still using Bloomfield CPUs and overclocked they still seem very viable.

Thank you very much kind sirs!

Top Bottom