• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia announces the GTX 980 Ti | $650 £550 €605

Mononoke

Banned
I got the GTX 980 as a gift. So I can't complain. But I would have done a 980 Ti SLI if I had known 980 Ti would have such a slow price. At this point, I'm saving up for a second 980 to SLI what I have. It might not be as good as Ti, but should be really good still. Even that said, I still think this is incredible. I'm really happy for other gamers. Envious too. :p

Anyone installed EVGA Precision? I opened it up to check temps and I see that my reference card is hitting boost clocks of 1200mhz. Does Precision overclock your card purely by running it? All sliders were untouched, power target was at 100%.

Jumpman

It will work fine, at least if you've overclocked it. Most 920's can get to around 4Ghz without too much trouble. If you do this you won't lose frames very often compared to the newer i7's. My 3rd PC is still using a 920 and it does great with any graphics card. :)

AlterOdin

Damn it, my "estimated" delivery got pushed back to the 20th.

At least I get the option to cancel if the Fiji/Fury is a monster.

Also when do 980 ti custom cards (custom PCB, coolers, etc) usually show them self?

Anyone installed EVGA Precision? I opened it up to check temps and I see that my reference card is hitting boost clocks of 1200mhz. Does Precision overclock your card purely by running it? All sliders were untouched, power target was at 100%.

In Precision there's a setting to overclock your card whenever your computer boots up, regardless of if the program is running or not

AXE

Somewhat confused here. Is the EVGA Classified their flagship model from model to model?

Thought to order the HYBRID.

Looking for the best 980 ti solution here - single card.

Thinking of buying one of these even if I am just playing at 1080p. I want to be able to get more out of GTA V/Witcher 3. I have a 290 right now.

GTA V is mostly on high settings with a couple of Very High. Would love to be able to turn on MSAA, turn everything up to Very High and maybe even turn up some advanced graphics.

For the witcher 3 I can get 1080p 30fps with dips to about 25fps with everything maxed. I need to turn off hairworks, lower to SSAO, and bring things like shadows/foliage down to high/medium to get a decent 1080p 60fps.

I don't know if a 980 will be enough or if I should just get a Ti. Also, I really like the look of the reference card designs. Are these much hotter/louder compared to the designs you get from MSI/EVGA/Gigabyte? Finally could someone explain how reference cards are from these different companies? I see ones from MSI/EVGA. I thought reference designs were straight from nvidia.

Somewhat confused here. Is the EVGA Classified their flagship model from model to model?

Looking for the best 980 ti solution here - single card.

Haha, EVGA has shit naming conventions. The order from worst to best is this:

Reference
Superclocked
FTW
Classified
K|NGP|N

Some of them have the reference cooler, some of them have their custom cooler the ACX2.0 (or ACX2.0+, which is the newest version), some of them allow for watercooling (Hydro Copper) and some are an all-in-one watercooling solution (Hybrid). But that list goes from worst to best. Something like Superclocked+ is the same speed as the Superclocked, it just also has a backplate to keep temps down a little more. The FTW, Classified, and K|NGP|N when they release SHOULD have a backplate on from the start.

In Precision there's a setting to overclock your card whenever your computer boots up, regardless of if the program is running or not

All the settings weren't touched, it was at its default '100% Power' target. I just uninstalled it, ran GPU-Z and the card is still hitting peaks of 1202MHz, when the default Boost clock is supposed to be 1076MHz??

Which card do you have?
Reference EVGA. Reading the blurb about GPU Boost 2.0, it ramps clocks based on (mainly) gpu temp. So... does that mean the 'Boost Clock' figure for a card is the minimum it is expected to hit, but it's possible (with temp headroom) for the card to boost past that?

AP90

In stock again! Just bought. thanks!! Wither 3 here I come.

Yay, thanks for this post, just got one.[/QUOTE]

Anytime! Bought using my phone while at the gym. Now I can finally give my data on my phone a break. Between refreshing GAF and constantly looking on newegg has taken a way a big chunk over the last week =P

Reference EVGA. Reading the blurb about GPU Boost 2.0, it ramps clocks based on (mainly) gpu temp. So... does that mean the 'Boost Clock' figure for a card is the minimum it is expected to hit, but it's possible (with temp headroom) for the card to boost past that?

Could you reinstall Precision and take a screenshot of what the main page is showing you? You've made me super curious about this

This might just be the one that launches my 4K career.

You'll be famous, Dennis! A true star!

BlurredNotions

Neo Member
So, I guess the ASUS Direct-CUIII is the best aftermarket 980ti then... right?!

I can't decide which one I should buy.
MSI, ASUS, Gigabyte (between these three, I'd probably pick the ASUS) or maybe the Zotac Amp! Extreme? It's a three-slot card that's 25% overclocked out of the box. Not only that, it's 130 bucks cheaper than ASUS, MSI and Gigabyte (about 769 Euros instead of 899 Euros).

I also wonder if a 980Ti is a significant upgrade from my 780. Is one 980Ti really enought to push The Witcher 3 at 1080p, 60+ FPS, everything max settings + nVidia gameworks enabled?

Theonik

This might just be the one that launches my 4K career.
4K gaming is still not really worth it. On modern games the Ti could give you trouble and you'd usually need to get two of them to get 60FPS on today's games let alone something a year down the line which at least what I would expect if I spent $2k on graphics cards. Unless of course you are fine with that.

Dennis

Banned
I feel that is my destiny.

Time to get your old nickname back!
You are right!

4K gaming is still not really worth it. On modern games the Ti could give you trouble and you'd usually need to get two of them to get 60FPS on today's games let alone something a year down the line which at least what I would expect if I spent $2k on graphics cards. Unless of course you are fine with that.

60 fps?

I ain't about that life.

The Witcher 3 at 4K, max made me gasp. Holds a relatively steady 30 so I can only imagine the glory of 60 fps. Nice thing about high end cards is they hold value relatively well. I bought my 780ti from Smokey a little over a year ago for 550 or something like that and sold it last week for 330. Would have gotten more if I hadn't waited until after the entire 900 line got a price drop. Can spend the 1440 or what have you now and probably get at least half of that back once Pascal drops.

Edit: No idea where I got 1440 from, lol

Theonik

60 fps?

I ain't about that life.
23.976fps for the true cinematic experience.

The Witcher 3 at 4K, max made me gasp. Holds a relatively steady 30 so I can only imagine the glory of 60 fps. Nice thing about high end cards is they hold value relatively well. I bought my 780ti from Smokey a little over a year ago for 550 or something like that and sold it last week for 330. Would have gotten more if I hadn't waited until after the entire 900 line got a price drop. Can spend the 1440 or what have you now and probably get at least half of that back once Pascal drops.
Yeah I know. The worry is about performance outpacing refreshes and hardware availability before something better drops. Basically games aren't optimised for you playing at 4K and you will find yourself begging for performance before too long since upgrades haven't been that amazing.
But I'm sure 4K even at 30FPS must be awesome.

spicy cho

4K displays seem like a curse if you're gaming. Up until this 980ti, I never had a card that could handle 1600p as well as I wanted.

Could you reinstall Precision and take a screenshot of what the main page is showing you? You've made me super curious about this

I'll try and put it back on later, but GPU-Z shows the same thing
hgs.png

Unless you've seen what 4K looks like, it's hard to understand why it has suddenly become the new Holy Grail in PC gaming. Even at 4K/30 it's still a vastly better experience than 1080p/60 in most games, I mean for FPS and the like I would definitely hold out for 4K/60 but most games I am really not bothered by 30fps compared to the incredible visual improvement that 4 times the number of pixels brings to the table.

There's a reason I'm so willing to spend the extra dosh to get 4K output to my 4K TV right away. The improvement in visuals is clearer than the brightest day. And yes, I'm willing to settle for "only" 30-40 fps in some of the more demanding titles available today to bring 4K to the table.

Will this card work well with a i7 920 cpu?

I'm still on an i7-950, but it's OCed to 4ghz. I intend to hang on to this build until later this year when I can finally overhaul with Skylake. It's been 5 years now with this CPU and I'm only now really thinking of retiring it. I don't know what I'll do with it after it's retirement, it seems almost too sad to put it in a closet somewhere after so many years of faithful and crash-free service.

Jin

Are you using multi-monitor? 144hz? Resolution? My GPU clocks at 800mhz on my Acer 1440p/144hz monitor. I had to change my refresh rate to 120hz for it to downclock. I heard the cards do not downclock on multi-displays either.

If you're going for air cooling, there's no reason that should be adequate for a single card, right?

Likewise, anyone who is still on a 1080p display see any reason for a gpu this good?

I think 144hz and g-sync or free sync if going AMD is the better option for the next few years.

Are those maxed out settings?

Grand Theft Auto V
Build 350, Online 1.26, In-game benchmark sequence #5, 110-sec Fraps, FXAA: On, MSAA: 2x, Texture Quality: Very High, Shader Quality: Very High, Shadow Quality: High, Reflection Quality: Very High, Water Quality: High, Particles Quality: Very High, Grass Quality: High, Soft Shadows: Softer, Post FX: Very High, Anisotropic Filtering: 16x

So yeah, looks like maxed out.

dmr87

Any idea the kind of performance to expect in GTA V all settings max at 4K with this card?

On a quick note about settings, as Grand Theft Auto V doesn't have pre-defined settings tiers, I want to quickly note what settings we're using. For "Very High" quality we have all of the primary graphics settings turned up to their highest setting, with the exception of grass, which is at its own very high setting. Meanwhile 4x MSAA is enabled for direct views and reflections. This setting also involves turning on some of the advanced redering features - the game's long shadows, high resolution shadows, and high definition flight streaming - but it not increasing the view distance any further.

Otherwise for "High" quality we take the same basic settings but turn off all MSAA, which significantly reduces the GPU rendering and VRAM requirements.

74785.png

74784.png

are the EVGA cards known for having coil whine problems? just asking because ive always had MSI and im kinda freaking out because i order an EVGA lol
What brand were all those 970s with coil whine when they launched?

I haven't had any real issues with coil whine with the SSC that I got last month, I think a lot of the coil whine issues were overblown, I'd wager a lot, if not most of the complaints were by people who don't use VSync, especially while playing older games with these cards which are capable of rendering hundreds, if not thousands of frames per second. The only place I've encountered coil whine so far was in The Witcher where the card was doing over 3,000FPS at the menu, turned on VSync through the NVCP and it went away.

Yes, all EVGA ACX2.0's have a 0db mode. Love it

Do people normally mess with the fan curve, or leave it at default?

I think they normally mess with the fan curve because they don't like the idea of the fans not kicking on until you hit 60C, I know I didn't care for it but I just switched to the secondary BIOS where the base fan speed is only 12%. If I get around to doing more than just playing with Afterburner and seriously OC my SSC futher I'm probably going to keep the base around there there but have the ramp up be a lot more aggressive.

Er, no it isn't exactly. You still run into issues if you don't and a lot of people end up using DifferentSLI to make it work. I have the same issue and I have a EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0 and a EVGA GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0. Could not get SLI to work unless I used DifferentSLI. https://github.com/EmberVulpix/DifferentSLIAuto

I had two 460s, my first one was an SC and my second was just a base clocked version from EVGA and I never had any issues with them over the course of more than three and a half years of use.

Guys what will be the benefits of waiting for Pascal GPU's next year? Performance wise will there be a big difference?

There's supposedly going to be a 40% boost in performance per watt with Pascal just from the die shrink as well as the major bandwidth improvements with HBM2 and probably more VRAM to go with it. Don't remember if they've said anything regarding whether HBM2 will be for all the cards or just the top-end as AMD seems to be doing with the 300 series.

I think they normally mess with the fan curve because they don't like the idea of the fans not kicking on until you hit 60C, I know I didn't care for it but I just switched to the secondary BIOS where the base fan speed is only 12%. If I get around to doing more than just playing with Afterburner and seriously OC my SSC futher I'm probably going to keep the base around there there but have the ramp up be a lot more aggressive.

Huh. The video review for the 980 Ti Hybrid said that even OC'd by quite a bit the temps maxed out at 50C. That's pretty damn impressive, and would mean I never have to worry about fan noise at all

I'll try and put it back on later, but GPU-Z shows the same thing
hgs.png

That's so bizarre, especially with a reference card

Post FX set to very high, shadow quality, water quality and grass quality set to high and shadows set to softer means it's not maxed out.

Yeah exactly. Ultra grass makes a huge difference once you get to the countryside, both in terms of how good it looks but also performance.

4K would be out of reach at 60 fps truly maxxed even SLI'd Titan X / Ti I would think.

Top Bottom