• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia announces the GTX 980 Ti | $650 £550 €605

Huh. The video review for the 980 Ti Hybrid said that even OC'd by quite a bit the temps maxed out at 50C. That's pretty damn impressive, and would mean I never have to worry about fan noise at all

That's so bizarre, especially with a reference card
Others were mentioning how their superclocked EVGA cards were boosting past their advertised clock by about 100Mhz also.

Unless you've seen what 4K looks like, it's hard to understand why it has suddenly become the new Holy Grail in PC gaming. Even at 4K/30 it's still a vastly better experience than 1080p/60 in most games, I mean for FPS and the like I would definitely hold out for 4K/60 but most games I am really not bothered by 30fps compared to the incredible visual improvement that 4 times the number of pixels brings to the table.
2160p30 looks great, standing still. The motion resolution is going to be appalling.

2160p30 looks great, standing still. The motion resolution is going to be appalling.

Motion resolution of a display doesn't change because of the game's framerate. If you're on an LCD, native motion resolution is appalling whether you're running at 15 fps, 30 fps, 60 fps, or 120 fps. This is an inherent limitation of the technology and it has nothing to do with what is being displayed.

All the fancy things LCDs do like MCFI (Motion-Compensated Frame Interpolation), black-frame insertion, and backlight blinking are done to improve effective motion resolution by compensating for the limitations of the technology. Of course for gaming a lot of these things introduce lag, that's why the fancy gaming LCDs mainly limit themselves to running at 120/144hz, pixel overdrive, and LightBoost (which is backlight blinking). And even there you have to be able to generate enough frames to fill up 120 or 144 refreshes per second and that's not trivial even for top-shelf SLI setups.

Given the choice, knowing I can't work around the limitations of LCD, I'll still choose higher resolution whenever possible.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
huh.gif

4K is whatever, I'll continue injecting 1080/120 into my veins until it is dragged away from me

AllenShrz

Fucking AMD, I was their fan and been with them for over 10 years. I was planing to buy Fiji day one but they just take their time and keep their silence. Damn it AMD I need a new card NOW for witcher 3, not for whenever you feel like releasing it.

So I bought the 980ti, and that was AMD fault.

The card is great but incredible noisy. I got the MSI version.

Motion resolution of a display doesn't change because of the game's framerate. If you're on an LCD, native motion resolution is appalling whether you're running at 15 fps, 30 fps, 60 fps, or 120 fps. This is an inherent limitation of the technology and it has nothing to do with what is being displayed.

All the fancy things LCDs do like MCFI (Motion-Compensated Frame Interpolation), black-frame insertion, and backlight blinking are done to improve effective motion resolution by compensating for the limitations of the technology. Of course for gaming a lot of these things introduce lag, that's why the fancy gaming LCDs mainly limit themselves to running at 120/144hz, pixel overdrive, and LightBoost (which is backlight blinking). And even there you have to be able to generate enough frames to fill up 120 or 144 refreshes per second and that's not trivial even for top-shelf SLI setups.

Given the choice, knowing I can't work around the limitations of LCD, I'll still choose higher resolution whenever possible.
Higher refresh most definitely does result in a higher motion resolution (and without the double image effect @30fps). Black frame insertion can also be achieved with low lag and only needs to be at a refresh you can personally tolerate. 2160p30 is a total backwards step.

Huh. The video review for the 980 Ti Hybrid said that even OC'd by quite a bit the temps maxed out at 50C. That's pretty damn impressive, and would mean I never have to worry about fan noise at all

What cooling were they using? Stock?

Anyway, I wasn't referring to the 980Ti, just in general and my experience of reading around over the last month or so on the 970. A lot seem to be anal about temps staying low as possible, others to keep it under 70C even though they can go to 80C before throttling kicks in. I didn't like my GPU being warmer than everything else in my case while idling, at just 12% fan speed it's at my case ambient temp and still silent. I have a EVGA 970 with the ACX 2.0+ cooler, don't start hearing the fan until it's at 40% which it doesn't hit until my card breaks the 60C point (where this card is set to start the cooler on the default BIOS) and it's still not very loud when there's other noise present, it doesn't really get the point I consider loud until maybe 60%, at 100% it's blowing like a mini turbine but the card would have to have something seriously wrong going on to reach the temp that I've set to make it that high.

I have the Heaven benchmark running right now as I type and my card with the factory default OC is at a boosted 1417MHz (which is 75MHz over spec) M at 63-65C with the fan at 46%. EDIT: Err that was with Afterburner open which was messing with the default fan curve, it's now ~70-73C at 33% fan speed and silent, at least in relation to everything else I can't hear it.

Fucking AMD, I was their fan and been with them for over 10 years. I was planing to buy Fiji day one but they just take their time and keep their silence. Damn it AMD I need a new card NOW for witcher 3, not for whenever you feel like releasing it.

So I bought the 980ti, and that was AMD fault.

The card is great but incredible noisy. I got the MSI version.

Perhaps a bad fan? I found Titan X surprisingly quiet and I believe 980 Ti is pretty much the same (reference wise, not sure if MSI differs)

Branson

I'm selling my 980 for $400 to my friend but it's going to take a few weeks for him to get the money. Think the EVGA cards will be readily available then? That's what I'm hoping for.

I'm buying one of these this weekend

I dunno if I want to keep my 1440p monitor or go back to 1080p but get a G-Sync monitor instead

Thoughts?

LaneDS

I'm selling my 980 for $400 to my friend but it's going to take a few weeks for him to get the money. Think the EVGA cards will be readily available then? That's what I'm hoping for.

Depends which EVGA card you mean, but there will certainly be some EVGA models available, for sure.

I dunno if I want to keep my 1440p monitor or go back to 1080p but get a G-Sync monitor instead

Thoughts?

I'm staying with 1080p, but here's why. I believe 1440p is a temporary fad until 4k becomes more mainstream. 1080p is less demanding for cpu and gpu, allowing you to max out more games. You can always down sample or get a 144hz monitor to take full advantage of the so called "overkill" of the card. I'm getting a 1080p 144hz g-sync monitor. I'll go 4k in 2-3 years when you can truly, consistently max out games on a single gpu card @ 60fps+.

mhayze

Really torn about buying this card. I would like to get a 4K monitor (probably a TV) in addition to my existing monitors, and the extra features and RAM on this card would be nice over my 780ti, but the performance leap is not that impressive - or is it? What do you guys think?

Thoughts?
That's what I did. I'm on the Acer XB240H and it's been great so far. Waiting until 4k monitors become more common before upgrading to that and skipping 1440p.

LaneDS

Are reference coolers ok to get or should I wait for their acx version coolers? I mean, I assume they are ok.

As someone who purchased one of the EVGA cards with a reference design, I'd say yes. Having no plans to go crazy on OC with the card I'm confident a reference cooler will be fine for my needs but that will of course vary based on personal preferences.

I'm staying with 1080p, but here's why. I believe 1440p is a temporary fad until 4k becomes more mainstream. 1080p is less demanding for cpu and gpu, allowing you to max out more games. You can always down sample or get a 144hz monitor to take full advantage of the so called "overkill" of the card. I'm getting a 1080p 144hz g-sync monitor. I'll go 4k in 2-3 years when you can truly, consistently max out games on a single gpu card @ 60fps+.

Yeah I feel the same way. I'm sticking to 1080p + downsample when available at Ultra settings with the 980ti.

I won't be buying a 4k monitor until there's a single card on the market that can hit 60fps 4k at ultra. Probably about 2 years or so

Theonik

Pretty much. 90+ fps with g-sync is pretty awesome.

Yeah I feel the same way. I'm sticking to 1080p + downsample when available at Ultra settings with the 980ti.

I won't be buying a 4k monitor until there's a single card on the market that can hit 60fps 4k at ultra. Probably about 2 years or so
Likewise. There is no 1440p in 'TV land' and the current phase 1 of 4K TVs don't interest me. I'm in a holding pattern for 4K OLED (with strobing).

Currently playing pCars, settings cranked, 1440p DSR'd to 1080p (strobed) with loads of AA and superb framerates. It'll be put to good use for VR too.

Branson

As someone who purchased one of the EVGA cards with a reference design, I'd say yes. Having no plans to go crazy on OC with the card I'm confident a reference cooler will be fine for my needs but that will of course vary based on personal preferences.
Ok. Yeah I don't really OC cards. Don't really plan to either. Unlike CPUs they seem to be more unstable with more recent games. Good to know I can get a reference and be ok.

How can a resolution be a "fad"? Its much better than 1080p and will be forever. Fad or not.

Because in like a year or two there will be cards actually fully capable of 4k 60fps and 4k monitors for much cheaper.

1440p isn't really a "fad" but its more of an in between stop gap

AP90

So recently I purchased the evga acx 980ti sc model.

It only has one dvi, one HDMI and three display ports. Since I have two monitors I went and purchased 2 displayports 6ft in length each. Is displayport becoming the default connection now over dvi? (especially for 4k @ 60fps)

And secondly, once USB 3.1 type-c goes mainstream, will that be the go to connector for everything?

Thanks.

Zaph

So recently I purchased the evga acx 980ti sc model.

It only has one dvi, one HDMI and three display ports. Since I have two monitors I went and purchased 2 displayports 6ft in length each. Is displayport becoming the default connection now over dvi? (especially for 4k @ 60fps)

And secondly, once USB 3.1 type-c goes mainstream, will that be the go to connector for everything?

Thanks.
Displayport is king - superior to everything out there.

USB type C will become the common package standard to general use video connectivity (e.g laptop to projector), but the enthusiast market will move on to Displayport 1.3.

edit: worth noting that type C can also carry the dp signal via alternate mode, but I doubt it'll be adopted that way in the enthusiast market for a variety of reasons.

How can a resolution be a "fad"? Its much better than 1080p and will be forever. Fad or not.

Fad was a bad wording on my part. Remember enhanced definition tv's that weren't quite high definition, but were better for watching dvd's? 1440p reminds me of that. It's an in between resolution.

Deadstar

Is there any additional noise created by the 980ti hybrid card? There's a nasty video going around youtube with some weird pump noise. Someone mentioned earlier that if I don't have a water cooled cpu this might be a problem in terms of heat dissipation.

Are there any downsides to going with the hybrid?

x3sphere

I'm skeptical we'll see GPUs that can sufficiently drive 4K in a single card configuration even 2-3 years from now. It will for older games, but requirements will continue to increase for newer ones. It took them far longer than that to catch up with 1440p/1600p

Heck, the top single card still doesn't get you 60 FPS constant across the board at 1440p, multi GPU is still needed for that.

badb0y

Because in like a year or two there will be cards actually fully capable of 4k 60fps and 4k monitors for much cheaper.

1440p isn't really a "fad" but its more of an in between stop gap

It's not a stop gap, it's been available for like 10 years now, it's just that they recently hit "mainstream" prices.

dr_rus

I'm skeptical we'll see GPUs that can sufficiently drive 4K in a single card configuration even 2-3 years from now. It will for older games, but requirements will continue to increase for newer ones. It took them far longer than that to catch up with 1440p/1600p

Heck, the top single card still doesn't get you 60 FPS constant across the board at 1440p, multi GPU is still needed for that.

This should be possible with 14/16nm and HBM2 and that's next year. PCs are limited by shader throughput of console GPUs which means that any spare power over that will go into higher resolutions. Since we don't expect new console hardware earlier than 2018 there's a good 3 years of PC hardware being used extensively, for higher resolutions, better AA, nicer shadow filtering, etc.

Deadstar

120 fps > 4k.

At least IMO, it's such a big difference in playability.

I tend to agree. I can play with everything on even hairworks at 30 fps but I'd rather play at 60 with some things turned down. 30 just feels way too sluggish if you've experienced 60 or above.

paskowitz

Is there any additional noise created by the 980ti hybrid card? There's a nasty video going around youtube with some weird pump noise. Someone mentioned earlier that if I don't have a water cooled cpu this might be a problem in terms of heat dissipation.

Are there any downsides to going with the hybrid?

The only downsides are the gold shroud that may clash with your color scheme, there may be some pump noise (assuming your case is very quiet), and mounting the rad may be tricky in tiny cases.

Then we'll no longer have to fight over 1080p vs 1440p vs 4k and 120Hz/144Hz/60Hz. The new battle will be 4k vs 5k vs 8k :)

Well, there's no fight really; higher is always better when it comes to resolution and framerate. xD

Variable refresh rates though have changed everything: it truly is a giant leap forward in performance.

Zaph

Scan have changed the date on EVGA SC non-reference from 8th to 'overdue' :(

Hate being stuck in this no-mans-land of either hoping an apparent launch card isn't too delayed or waiting a little(?) longer for the second round beast cards.

Hip Hop

120 fps > 4k.

At least IMO, it's such a big difference in playability.

Pretty much.

Games look absolutely horrible on a 60hz.

When I first started PC gaming 2 years agp, I thought one of my computer parts were broken because of how bad games looked when they went above 60fps.

Turns out it was the refresh rate. I had no clue.

Had to buy me a 144hz monitor to make it work. Seriously can't go back.

Top Bottom