• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia announces the GTX 980 Ti | $650 £550 €605

Tell me, any reason to prefer an EVGA over an MSI or vice versa?

Rare footage of Dennis saying goodbye to GTX580 slide show?
url

Zaph

They had over 90 pre-orders on that card. Gonna be a while. Advice, either jump on the hybrid while it's fresh on the site, or wait it out. I'm going for the latter I think.

Cancelled my Scan order for the ACX 2.0+. Gonna pre-order the Classified instead. A guaranteed binned card for a small(ish) increase in price is worth it IMO if it'll end my horrible overclocking streak.

DBT85

Someone on OCUK has managed to snag some Gigabyte reference 980ti for £522.40 but because of the rules there can't say where.

Googlefu might help but I've got nothing so far.

Bydobob

Someone on OCUK has managed to snag some Gigabyte reference 980ti for £522.40 but because of the rules there can't say where.

Googlefu might help but I've got nothing so far.

Lowest price I could find was from this questionable looking outfit:

http://www.nigelohara.com/gtx-980-tigvn98td56gdb-pid212575.html?gclid=CMnEteedg8YCFSKy2wodOT0ASw

£507.35. Reviews on this place suggests lots of disgruntled customers waiting an age for their products and longer still for refunds. Depends how desperate you are I guess.

Edit: Found out they are banned from hotukdeals for self-promotion, and apparently reward positive reviews by entering customers into a competition. Forewarned as they say...

120 fps > 4k.

At least IMO, it's such a big difference in playability.

Even with a TitanX, I have no idea how I'd ever reach 120 FPS at 2560x1440. At least not in any game that I bought a TitanX for in the first place. Hell, even getting 60 FPS is a challenge. For 120 FPS, I'd have to be playing games at low to medium, and even that's not a guarantee.

Just saw newegg having the Gigabyte G1 version by 6/16. Right after payday weekend!

The listing was there I think 5 days ago, as a preorder. Since then the preorder button went "Out of Stock" and then back to preorder at least 3 times, as Newegg has apparently been taking preorders in waves based on availability of stock batches. I got in on the first wave of preorders, only a few hours after the button became available. They had better have a lot of stock on 6/16 otherwise Newegg isn't going to be able to fill the many preorders they have already taken, much less sell to people who are planning on waiting until 6/16 to even place an order. The preorder button permanently vanished a couple days ago.

Xtyle

Got my EVGA 980 ti SC today...
I love console gaming (and have not gamed on PC for a good 5-6 years, other than WoW), but PC master race is back on!

first thing I want to try is Witcher 3, Arkham Knight, and GTA V...and then there is SF4. Crazy times ahead haha.

I like EVGA for their warranties, especially if you pay $30 extra where it will do cross shipping for free if something happens to the card. Plus, their warranties can be legitimately transferred to another customer.

Serick

Married Member
I like EVGA for their warranties, especially if you pay $30 extra where it will do cross shipping for free if something happens to the card. Plus, their warranties can be legitimately transferred to another customer.

Yeah, EVGA's warranty service is the shit. The Step-Up program seems pretty awesome too but I have never completed the process myself, still in queue to upgrade my 980 to the 980ti.

BlurredNotions

Neo Member
Guys, what's your opinion on this:
I own a 27'' 1080p IPS monitor, 60Hz of course. My video card is an ASUS DirectCUII GTX780 3GB.
I want to upgrade to the 980Ti. That much I know. I'd like to keep it to one card, because the 980Ti from ASUS is 899 Euros, which is absolutely insane. I'm not in a position to drop 1800 Euros for SLI'ed 980Ti's. One card's fine though.
I am sooo sick of chasing that significantly higher than 60FPS framerate for the sake of not having screen tearing/enabling VSync and not experiencing hiccups/framedrops from dropping under 60FPS.
I want to jump on the GSync train.

I don't know whether I should go for something like the Acer Predator XB270HUbprz, a 27'' 1440p 144Hz Gsync monitor with an VA-IPS panel. From what I've gathered, VA-IPS is not "real" IPS, but still much better than TN. I don't know if that's true, but that's why I've been told. The ASUS ROG Swift PG278Q, a 27'' 1440p 144Hz TN monitor (I believe this one's also VA-IPS, but they're still calling it TN)
The alternative to the amazing monitors I've just mentioned would be a 1080p display, 144Hz, TN panel.
Something like the Acer Predator XB270HAbprz, a 27'' 1080p 144Hz TN-panel monitor.
There's also a 24 inch version, the XB240Habpr, a 24'' 1080p 144Hz TN-panel monitor.

What's your take on this? This is relevant to this thread as the decision as to what monitor I should buy plays into whether I'll buy one 980Ti, two 980Tis, just another 780 for SLI 780, or if I'll wait
for "the next big thing"

The listing was there I think 5 days ago, as a preorder. Since then the preorder button went "Out of Stock" and then back to preorder at least 3 times, as Newegg has apparently been taking preorders in waves based on availability of stock batches. I got in on the first wave of preorders, only a few hours after the button became available. They had better have a lot of stock on 6/16 otherwise Newegg isn't going to be able to fill the many preorders they have already taken, much less sell to people who are planning on waiting until 6/16 to even place an order. The preorder button permanently vanished a couple days ago.

Yeah I signed up for the notification and plan to be up for a while at night waiting for it + checking constantly throughout the work day. So at this point I can only keep my fingers crossed

MoonGred

So I just ordered two of these. I've never SLI'd before. Any pitfalls I need to watch out for? Will any old bridge do?

Not too sure about the sli bridge, but two way SLI shouldn't cause too many issues, just the waiting on SLI profiles from nvidia, from what I've read for most big releases they're usually pretty quick.

Mkenyon once had this amazing SLI analogy that involved a three some and foursome but can't for the life of me find it.

lmbotiva

man, i ordered the EVGA with backplate, the card shipped yesterday, im regretting the purchase, that MSI gaming looks so awesome but no word on when is coming out, the card will arrive here on friday, i think i might reject the delivery and send it back to EVGA

paskowitz

man, i ordered the EVGA with backplate, the card shipped yesterday, im regretting the purchase, that MSI gaming looks so awesome but no word on when is coming out, the card will arrive here on friday, i think i might reject the delivery and send it back to EVGA

Eh, the Lightning Edition should be the one to get/wait for from MSI.

AP90

Newegg has the EVGA ACX SC w/ backplate in stock currently. It's $20 over at $699 however.

EVGA GTX 980 Ti 6GB SC+ ACX w/ Backplate

I purchased this one as well. Its the Superclocked version and it includes the backplate ($20 extra) which is assembled by evga (shipped from California.. Industry area)

From evga site, same card without backplate is $679 http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=06G-P4-4995-KR

Therefore its the same price, except no tax is charged on newegg depending on which state you live in..

lmbotiva

anybody that has the EVGA acx 2.0 post impressions please, ive looked on youtube and there's only 1 video and is in german.... does the card get to hot? is it loud? things like that, thanks

Jumpman

anybody that has the EVGA acx 2.0 post impressions please, ive looked on youtube and there's only 1 video and is in german.... does the card get to hot? is it loud? things like that, thanks

I have the acx 2.0 sc w/backplate.

It's super quiet with the default fan profile. It revs up to around 50% speed under benchmark situations and remains mostly inaudible. I've had Gigabyte, Asus, MSI, etc coolers in the past and this ranks comfortably among the best of them for noise at the default profile.

The fan becomes noisier when it heads above 65+ percent use. Not jet engine like or anything, but certainly audible in a quiet room, yet still easily drowned out by game noise. I haven't had a need to up the fan curve yet so these observations only matter if you are trying for an extra special overclock and want to boost the fan speed for a few extra Mhz.

At the normal fan profile, temps throttle between 79-80 on a hot California day during benchmarks. With a more aggressive fan curve you can easily stay in the mid 70's. It's not as effective as some bigger coolers I've had in the past but it stays well under temps that would cause any boost throttling unlike the reference cards.

The card boosts up to 1304Mhz right out of the box despite what the specs say. And I was able to quickly find a stock voltage stable overclock of +150 core (1102 factory overclock) and +500 (1000Mhz effective). That puts base clocks at 1252Mhz core and 8000Mhz Memory without messing with voltage. Early indications are that with some tweaking I can get to +180 core and +650 Memory. Either way it's nice to get such a good overclock. The best thing about it is with the cooler doing its job so well I'm getting consistent rock steady boost clocks of 1440-1470 with an occasional jump to 1504. :D

Aesthetically the card is simple and sleek. It's not the fanciest looking card and that can be a good thing. It blends in to my case nicely whereas certain other aftermarket cards could clash if they don't match the scheme. It does have a front facing led badge that says "EVGA Geforce GTX 980Ti SC" which looks rather cool.

All in all I'm very happy with it in every way. There will be other cards coming with bigger, stronger coolers. And cards with custom PCB circuitry that allow higher overclock attempts. But then they'll also be more expensive. There's not really a wrong choice here. This EVGA version is great. Other great models will trickle over the next couple months. If you don't want to wait I highly recommend this model.

Someone from here got their next step from EVGA Step up a while back and he submitted his about an hour before I did. Come on EVGA! Although I kind of want the Hybrid :X

I have the acx 2.0 sc w/backplate.

It's super quiet with the default fan profile. It revs up to around 50% speed under benchmark situations and remains mostly inaudible. I've had Gigabyte, Asus, MSI, etc coolers in the past and this ranks comfortably among the best of them for noise at the default profile.

The fan becomes noisier when it heads above 65+ percent use. Not jet engine like or anything, but certainly audible in a quiet room, yet still easily drowned out by game noise. I haven't had a need to up the fan curve yet so these observations only matter if you are trying for an extra special overclock and want to boost the fan speed for a few extra Mhz.

At the normal fan profile, temps throttle between 79-80 on a hot California day during benchmarks. With a more aggressive fan curve you can easily stay in the mid 70's. It's not as effective as some bigger coolers I've had in the past but it stays well under temps that would cause any boost throttling unlike the reference cards.

The card boosts up to 1304Mhz right out of the box despite what the specs say. And I was able to quickly find a stock voltage stable overclock of +150 core (1102 factory overclock) and +500 (1000Mhz effective). That puts base clocks at 1252Mhz core and 8000Mhz Memory without messing with voltage. Early indications are that with some tweaking I can get to +180 core and +650 Memory. Either way it's nice to get such a good overclock. The best thing about it is with the cooler doing its job so well I'm getting consistent rock steady boost clocks of 1440-1470 with an occasional jump to 1504. :D

Aesthetically the card is simple and sleek. It's not the fanciest looking card and that can be a good thing. It blends in to my case nicely whereas certain other aftermarket cards could clash if they don't match the scheme. It does have a front facing led badge that says "EVGA Geforce GTX 980Ti SC" which looks rather cool.

All in all I'm very happy with it in every way. There will be other cards coming with bigger, stronger coolers. And cards with custom PCB circuitry that allow higher overclock attempts. But then they'll also be more expensive. There's not really a wrong choice here. This EVGA version is great. Other great models will trickle over the next couple months. If you don't want to wait I highly recommend this model.

Does your card have 2 8pin power connectors?

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
Got my EVGA 980 ti SC today...
I love console gaming (and have not gamed on PC for a good 5-6 years, other than WoW), but PC master race is back on!

first thing I want to try is Witcher 3, Arkham Knight, and GTA V...and then there is SF4. Crazy times ahead haha.

Oh.dear you are going to be converted

Jumpman

And your ingame clock stays in the high 1400s? Have you tried witcher 3 or cryengine 3 titles? Those drop pretty much everyones boost clocks due to power limits

In every game I've tested so far the boost behavior has been mostly the same. Your post made me curious so I ran The Witcher 3 for 10 minutes and again the behavior was much the same. Keep in mind that while I haven't added voltage, I have raised the power limit so the boost is allowed to breathe. On my card the favorite clock for TW3 was 1442, with some drops to 1430 and spikes to 1466, as seen here.

I don't have any CE3 games installed right now. I suppose I could install Crysis 3 to check. In any case the boost clocks are holding fine even with TW3 which incidentally really runs nicely on the 980Ti. The frame boost over a heavily OC'd 780Ti is obvious but it's the frame pacing that seems so much better. The little hiccups that would happen are gone. Just smooth frame delivery now. :D

Edit: Crysis 3 runs 99% of the time at 1442 and 1453 but has occasional one frame spikes as low as 1418. Good stuff. :D

In every game I've tested so far the boost behavior has been mostly the same. Your post made me curious so I ran The Witcher 3 for 10 minutes and again the behavior was much the same. Keep in mind that while I haven't added voltage, I have raised the power limit so the boost is allowed to breathe. On my card the favorite clock for TW3 was 1442, with some drops to 1430 and spikes to 1466, as seen here.

I don't have any CE3 games installed right now. I suppose I could install Crysis 3 to check. In any case the boost clocks are holding fine even with TW3 which incidentally really runs nicely on the 980Ti. The frame boost over a heavily OC'd 780Ti is obvious but it's the frame pacing that seems so much better. The little hiccups that would happen are gone. Just smooth frame delivery now. :D

Edit: Crysis 3 runs 99% of the time at 1442 and 1453 but has occasional one frame spikes as low as 1418. Good stuff. :D

do you have gpu z? curious what your asic rating is. also just to be sure, your running at full gpu usage right?

Rolfgang

Any more news on when the MSI 980 Ti Gaming 6G is going to release? My money is screaming to be thrown against the beauty of a beast. Speaking of money; is there also an indication of how much the card will cost? In The Netherlands the reference card is 750 euros, so I'm thinking/hoping 780 - 800 euros?

daxy

Any experiences with Newegg shipping to Europe? Would I get hit by duties or other extra costs apart from the ones mentioned on checkout?

UnrealEck

Any more news on when the MSI 980 Ti Gaming 6G is going to release? My money is screaming to be thrown against the beauty of a beast. Speaking of money; is there also an indication of how much the card will cost? In The Netherlands the reference card is 750 euros, so I'm thinking/hoping 780 - 800 euros?

It'll probably cost ~50 Euros more than the reference yes. I'd be prepared for 820 though.
I know MSI's European base is in Netherlands so it's good for you since it might be easier to RMA. I recently dealt with a return from them and it did take a good while (like 20 odd days) but I got a brand new replacement card.

Jumpman

do you have gpu z? curious what your asic rating is. also just to be sure, your running at full gpu usage right?

The Asic rating is 70.8 and yes my card is hitting full gpu usage. I'm sure the Classified's and Kingpin models of the world will do better still in this regard. It's a good sign because I'm sure those premium cards will see frequent boosts well in to the 1500's. Hell, maybe I will too once I start adding voltage. :)

The Asic rating is 70.8 and yes my card is hitting full gpu usage. I'm sure the Classified's and Kingpin models of the world will do better still in this regard. It's a good sign because I'm sure those premium cards will see frequent boosts well in to the 1500's. Hell, maybe I will too once I start adding voltage. :)

assuming the pcb and components truly are stock, you have crushed the silicon lottery. congrats

Darkone

Guys, what's your opinion on this:
I own a 27'' 1080p IPS monitor, 60Hz of course. My video card is an ASUS DirectCUII GTX780 3GB.
I want to upgrade to the 980Ti. That much I know. I'd like to keep it to one card, because the 980Ti from ASUS is 899 Euros, which is absolutely insane. I'm not in a position to drop 1800 Euros for SLI'ed 980Ti's. One card's fine though.
I am sooo sick of chasing that significantly higher than 60FPS framerate for the sake of not having screen tearing/enabling VSync and not experiencing hiccups/framedrops from dropping under 60FPS.
I want to jump on the GSync train.

I don't know whether I should go for something like the Acer Predator XB270HUbprz, a 27'' 1440p 144Hz Gsync monitor with an VA-IPS panel. From what I've gathered, VA-IPS is not "real" IPS, but still much better than TN. I don't know if that's true, but that's why I've been told. The ASUS ROG Swift PG278Q, a 27'' 1440p 144Hz TN monitor (I believe this one's also VA-IPS, but they're still calling it TN)
The alternative to the amazing monitors I've just mentioned would be a 1080p display, 144Hz, TN panel.
Something like the Acer Predator XB270HAbprz, a 27'' 1080p 144Hz TN-panel monitor.
There's also a 24 inch version, the XB240Habpr, a 24'' 1080p 144Hz TN-panel monitor.

What's your take on this? This is relevant to this thread as the decision as to what monitor I should buy plays into whether I'll buy one 980Ti, two 980Tis, just another 780 for SLI 780, or if I'll wait
for "the next big thing"

I am kinda in the same spot as you, i have a 7 years old TN monitor which i am dieing to replace and i don't know if to go 1440p or 4K.
I think it will be a waste of money to stay with 1080p if your rig can handle 1440p and up.
There are great new models that should come out soon so i think it would be wise to wait.

See this thread for the list of new models:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1054916

Rolfgang

It'll probably cost ~50 Euros more than the reference yes. I'd be prepared for 820 though.
I know MSI's European base is in Netherlands so it's good for you since it might be easier to RMA. I recently dealt with a return from them and it did take a good while (like 20 odd days) but I got a brand new replacement card.

Oh cool, I didn't know that, I thought they were located in Germany or UK. That's indeed good news for me.

DBT85

OCUK have the Titan X down to £799 for a few hours. I'm guessing they want to shift stock since most don't need 12GB of VRAM.

They also still have stock of 3 reference 980ti cards, though still at high prices. One is £629!

Grassy

Got my EVGA 980 Ti SC(reference) today. I was initially worried about temperatures with the reference cooler(I really wanted the ACX 2.0 cooler), but it's actually not too bad. It's idling at 30 deg C and under full load it hits 84 deg C, which are both ~6 degrees under what reviews have been showing temps at. I've got pretty good airflow and cooling in my case so I can live with that.

One thing I noticed was that the card boosted up to 1329MHz, which is well past the stated 1190MHz boost clock. I guess it gets pushed higher automatically based on card temperature? A nice surprise anyway.

980tiscgcpkj.jpg

It's a step up from my sli 670's that's for sure, can't wait for my second card to arrive this week.

dr_rus

Got my EVGA 980 Ti SC(reference) today. I was initially worried about temperatures with the reference cooler(I really wanted the ACX 2.0 cooler), but it's actually not too bad. It's idling at 30 deg C and under full load it hits 84 deg C, which are both ~6 degrees under what reviews have been showing temps at. I've got pretty good airflow and cooling in my case so I can live with that.

One thing I noticed was that the card boosted up to 1329MHz, which is well past the stated 1190MHz boost clock. I guess it gets pushed higher automatically based on card temperature? A nice surprise anyway.

980tiscgcpkj.jpg

It's a step up from my sli 670's that's for sure, can't wait for my second card to arrive this week.

Card's temperature and power consumption are limiting the boost since GPU boost 2.0. What they state in the specs has been rather conservative since then because most of time this boost level is beaten - this is especially true for Maxwell chips with their perf/watt effectiveness.

980Ti being rather close to Titan X in benchmarks means that its boost level is usually higher than that of Titan X. It would not be so close on the default specced boost level.

I purchased this one as well. Its the Superclocked version and it includes the backplate ($20 extra) which is assembled by evga (shipped from California.. Industry area)

From evga site, same card without backplate is $679 http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=06G-P4-4995-KR

Therefore its the same price, except no tax is charged on newegg depending on which state you live in..

The one you linked to has the backplate. The p/n is 06G-P4-4995-KR, the part number for the SC ACX card without the backplate is 06G-P4-4993-KR. MSRP for the one with the backplate is $679 and without is $669.

ZOONAMI

Anyone actually seeing stable 8000mhz mem clocks? I got through one firestrike with it that high but then started getting crashes on further testing. Seems stable at 7900mhz

Also, are people also getting 14000-15000 firestrike scores depending on clocks? I have an i5 4690k at 4.5ghz.

Top Bottom