• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia announces the GTX 980 Ti | $650 £550 €605

I wonder how much longer it will be until reviews start coming out for the Fury X?

The rest of my parts will buy here in a couple of days and I don't want to have to wait too long to start building my new pc.

I'm really tempted to get a Gigabyte G1 980 Ti. It has all the connectors I need so I wouldn't need to buy any extra cables.

I really only care about the performance difference these cards will have at 1080p which is what I'll be playing at. I see that the 980 Ti is above 60 in most games.

I believe I read that June 23rd at 8PM EST is when the embargo ends.

So after playing around with my G1 I loaded up GTA V fully maxed and this is what I hit with the core before messing with the voltages:

Yb7kAQV.jpg

1392MHz with 1.18v. Still have probably 0.05V to play with and plenty of TDP to spare. 65C at 45% fan speed. Could not be more happier with the upgrade.

In general, EVGA, Asus, MSI and Gigabyte are the "best" brands. Zotac and Galax are also good (just not as common). A lot of people like EVGA for their warranties, support and step up program.

In terms of specific card, it depends on your build. If you are doing a mini ITX build, then the EVGA 980 ti Hybrid is probably your best bet. Built in water cooler and blower would be ideal for a small build. It would also be ideal if you plan on doing SLI. You could go with a reference card (any brand really) and slap on a GPU cooling bracket with a 3rd party cooler, but I don't think the ~$20 saved will be worth the effort. I currently have one on order.

If you have a lot of room in your case (ATX), the Gigabyte G1 is the best card available right now. I personally do not expect the MSI Gaming 6G to perform significantly better (it is also a couple weeks away for the US). I have an MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G and it's a solid card. Asus's Strix card is another one to look out for, but I do not think we have gotten an ETA for release.

If you want to wait, the MSI 980 Ti LIghtning, EVGA Classified, Asus Matrix Platinum and Zotax AMP! Extreme are likely to be the best custom PCB cards. All of those cards should push 1500-1600 Mhz on the boost clock with relative ease when overclocked. With that said, these cards are only really worth it if you plan on heavily overclocking. Their price to performance ratio is also likely debatable (expect >$800). And you are probably going to have to wait until at least this September.

Thanks I'm planning on doing a mini ITX build so I guess that EVGA Hybrid is the one to plump for at the moment.

I'm always a bit wary of closed looped water-cooled components such as the Corsair Hydro coolers.

If the seal fails somewhere and leaks will the manufacture cover it and the components damaged by the leak or should I invest in some contents insurance?

paskowitz

Thanks I'm planning on doing a mini ITX build so I guess that EVGA Hybrid is the one to plump for at the moment.

I'm always a bit wary of closed looped water-cooled components such as the Corsair Hydro coolers.

If the seal fails somewhere and leaks will the manufacture cover it and the components damaged by the leak or should I invest in some contents insurance?

EVGA's warranty does not state (in the affirmative or negative) that it covers the components damaged by a leak. The GPU itself would definitely be covered though. If you really want an answer, I would call them.

With that said, this is a very small percent risk. Add in the fact that most people likely caused the fault through their own stupidity (poking the water tube on the GPU or MOBO) and it is even smaller. Your GPU is more likely to fail for some other reason (faulty component). Also, depending on where you place the radiator, you can further mitigate any risk. A CPU cooler is in a far more compromising position should it fail.

In other words, don't worry about this. If you want a Hybrid model I highly suggest you sign up for notifications and/or preorder one where possible. Stock is likely going to be limited through the summer.

EDIT: Also make sure your ITX case will have enough room for the water tubes and a good radiator mount. If you haven't settled on a case, the NCASE M1 and Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX are my two personal favorite ITX cases ATM.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Just out of pure curiosity, has anyone here cooled their PC with anything more exotic than water?

paskowitz

Just out of pure curiosity, has anyone here cooled their PC with anything more exotic than water?

Outside of mineral oil and liquid nitrogen there are no better cooling solutions than good old H2O. I remember reading a forum thread about alternative cooling liquids like alcohol and antifreeze. Nothing was successful. The craziest method I know of is phase change cooling (google it).

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Outside of mineral oil and liquid nitrogen there are no better cooling solutions than good old H2O. I remember reading a forum thread about alternative cooling liquids like alcohol and antifreeze. Nothing was successful. The craziest method I know of is phase change cooling (google it).

Phase change is actually what I was looking into. Outside of noise, there doesn't seem to be too many drawbacks to phase change that I can tell; though it's pretty much CPU specific.

Liquid Nitrogen for all intents and purposes is for competitive overclocking only, and completely worthless to actually game on (for one thing, you're manually pouring the LN).

I can't see me doing anything more crazy than water; but my buddy has now officially completely outdone me by putting his three Titan Xs and 5960x under water; this friendly competition can't stop there :p

paskowitz

Phase change is actually what I was looking into. Outside of noise, there doesn't seem to be too many drawbacks to phase change that I can tell; though it's pretty much CPU specific.

Liquid Nitrogen for all intents and purposes is for competitive overclocking only, and completely worthless to actually game on (for one thing, you're manually pouring the LN).

I can't see me doing anything more crazy than water; but my buddy has now officially completely outdone me by putting his three Titan Xs and 5960x under water; this friendly competition can't stop there :p

If you really wanted to you could put your reservoir in a temperature controlled environment outside of the case (mini freezer).

There is some crazy stuff on this site: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?155-Chilled-Liquid-Cooling http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?80-Vapor-Phase-Change-Cooling

IMACOMPUTA

Anybody order one of these from Newegg and get the Arkham Knight code? Did they tape a little card to the packing slip or email the code?

was the email from newegg? would you mind copy/pasting the subject line?

I ordered my 970 from NewEgg and got two e-mails for the two games that came with it.

The subject should be something like "Newegg – Digital Product Delivery".

Got it about five hours after the order went through.

Still waiting for my code from Amazon. Contacted support. Should hopefully come soon.

My 980ti is having problems with crashing and stuff in The Witcher 3, and also crashed after extended play sessions in Grey Goo. I just don't know how to troubleshoot properly in lieu of having another PC here to swap the card into and test. Going to try to do a fully clean driver install soon.

Are there any good ways of testing if my PC is near power limits, or if it's overheating? I recently cleaned dust out, and MSI afterburner is never reporting temps over 80-82 (83 is set as the "limit" by default I think). The graphs generally report no higher than 80% power or something, I'm not sure what that means exactly.

Still waiting for my code from Amazon. Contacted support. Should hopefully come soon.

My 980ti is having problems with crashing and stuff in The Witcher 3, and also crashed after extended play sessions in Grey Goo. I just don't know how to troubleshoot properly in lieu of having another PC here to swap the card into and test. Going to try to do a fully clean driver install soon.

Are there any good ways of testing if my PC is near power limits, or if it's overheating? I recently cleaned dust out, and MSI afterburner is never reporting temps over 80-82 (83 is set as the "limit" by default I think). The graphs generally report no higher than 80% power or something, I'm not sure what that means exactly.

The first thing to do is underclock the card a bit and see if crashes go away. If they do, you got a bad unit which can't maintain it's stock clocks and it's RMA time.

The first thing to do is underclock the card a bit and see if crashes go away. If they do, you got a bad unit which can't maintain it's stock clocks and it's RMA time.

Well the problem is that Grey Goo is not a demanding game, so idk why it would be crashing in that. It doesn't crash in CK2, although it did crash during GalCiv III. GalCiv is barely beyond Civ V graphics, so that's the kind of thing we're talking about.

I did underclock by 50hz on both mem and graphics but haven't extensively tested it. The Witcher 3 seems very choppy sometimes, like the framerate is sticking in the 40-65 range and I'm using G-sync but it feels awful sometimes, still stuttering or something? This may be related to borderless-windowed which the game keeps reverting to for some reason, assuming G-sync does not yet support borderless windowed. But in any case, frustrating. It got real bad when I underclocked it but that may have been a coincidence.

There's also weird shit going on like after one crash, the monitor didn't come back on. But I think that was because I might have poorly seated either the power connectors or the card in the PCI slot. I'll do more testing tonight, but RMA is SUPER INCONVENIENT since I have to post it to the united states. I mean, I still have my 970 to use in the meantime, but I bought this card specifically to be playing Batman on day one at maximum graphics.

:(

Well the problem is that Grey Goo is not a demanding game, so idk why it would be crashing in that. It doesn't crash in CK2, although it did crash during GalCiv III. GalCiv is barely beyond Civ V graphics, so that's the kind of thing we're talking about.

Because of how GPU Boost 2.0 works (it's a pain in the ass), crashing when playing a non-demanding game with the framerate capped so the GPU isn't working at 100% full grunt is a known issue with Nvidia cards. Simply setting Vsync to ON or playing any game where the engine supports a user-set framerate cap like Diablo III can make this problem manifest itself.

In summary, when the GPU isn't working at full grunt, it drops to a lower power state with a lower voltage, if the GPU core isn't stable at the lower voltage it will crash. This problem is most often seen with factory or user-OC'd cards because your GPU might actually be stable at full grunt, full voltage, max OC clock, but then at the lower voltage GPU state it becomes unstable and crashes.

This is one reason why qualifying your OC on modern Nvidia cards is annoying. You have to test your OC in multiple different usage scenarios to ensure stability. The really hardcore OCers will modify their BIOSes to manually set the voltage tables for all the available power states and raise the voltage a bit on all non-P0 (max clock/voltage) states to ensure stability when pushing massive OCs. You can also find and flash a modified reference BIOS which does this for you, of course that will void your warranty quite spectacularly.

But don't worry about that now. Right now you need to figure out if you card can't even maintain it's stock clocks without crashing, if it can't, unfortunately RMA is your only option. :(

I did underclock by 50hz on both mem and graphics but haven't extensively tested it. The Witcher 3 seems very choppy sometimes, like the framerate is sticking in the 40-65 range and I'm using G-sync but it feels awful sometimes, still stuttering or something? This may be related to borderless-windowed which the game keeps reverting to for some reason, assuming G-sync does not yet support borderless windowed. But in any case, frustrating. It got real bad when I underclocked it but that may have been a coincidence.

There's also weird shit going on like after one crash, the monitor didn't come back on. But I think that was because I might have poorly seated either the power connectors or the card in the PCI slot. I'll do more testing tonight, but RMA is SUPER INCONVENIENT since I have to post it to the united states. I mean, I still have my 970 to use in the meantime, but I bought this card specifically to be playing Batman on day one at maximum graphics.

Have you tried an earlier driver? Some of your crashing issues mirror the problems a lot of people are having with the last couple of driver releases. 350.12 or even 347.88 seem to be the most stable.

I don't think exhaust is really an issue with the case I'm using:
carbide-air-540-5-128cfpiy.jpg

Like, my whole room gets properly warm pretty quick if I'm pushing the PC with the window closed, and it's a big room. But I'll take on your advice and monitor the HDD temps over the next few weeks to see if I need to be concerned (and maybe add an exhaust fan just above the disks).

I have this case. I can attest to it not really having any heat or sound issues at all. Best case I've ever bought.

I got shipping info on my EVGA step-up(980-->980 Ti). Say's before the end of the day Tuesday. Perfect, as I'll have it in time to fire up Batman after work. I've adored all the cheesy ass PhysX effects in the previous Arkham games, so I'm excited to see what superfluous particles and tessellation is added. I spent way too much time in Asylum and City cape-stunning fog/paper and rolling through carpets. It adds a layer of believable flavor to the world and I find it a lesser experience without them. Hopefully they're remotely, even a smidgen optimized the effects, because they weren't so hot out the gate for Arkham City.

Vash63

Anyone know when the Batman promotion ends? I've been waiting for Fury X to see if it drops the price on the 980 ti before I buy it. My 780 ti can't quite max Witcher at 2560x1440 and with my 144Hz the extra frames would be nice for other games anyway so I'm wanting to buy soon...

Anyone know when the Batman promotion ends? I've been waiting for Fury X to see if it drops the price on the 980 ti before I buy it. My 780 ti can't quite max Witcher at 2560x1440 and with my 144Hz the extra frames would be nice for other games anyway so I'm wanting to buy soon...

I'd be surprised if they drop the price regardless of Fury X benchmarks. They'd have to be a very very stark difference, which most signs pointing to them being more evenly matched. I'd say at best you'd be getting is whatever game that may be in a promotional run for the card*Arkham Knight* for example. If that's what's keeping you back, it never hurts to wait, but you could be playing games right now with stellar frame-rates.

Chris_C

I'm considering a new PC build. However, I read that Skylake is likely to launch between August and September. Would it be more advisable to wait till then? Is socket 2011-3 skylake compatible?

I'm considering a new PC build. However, I read that Skylake is likely to launch between August and September. Would it be more advisable to wait till then? Is socket 2011-3 skylake compatible?

If you're in no rush for a build, you should definitely wait, it's only a few months and who knows...

That said, anything you build now(considering if you're making for a gaming PC) will play anything now--2.5 years at max settings if games are multiplatform focused. Even then, you won't be held back most likely in anything CPU wise if you bought an i7(i5 even) line. So if your focus is gaming no need to wait, other than to just see if what you spend could take you even further, but gaming won't be held back by a CPU. I bought an i7-920 and that CPU lasted me for 6 years almost(My wife still uses it) with me only having to change GPU's every 3 years or so. Finally having to go to the 4770k because my channel speed in my PCI-e was then becoming my bottleneck.

x3sphere

No, Skylake will not be compatible with 2011-3.

On waiting it depends, do you want a hex core CPU? Mainstream Skylake will only have quads. Don't think we'll see Skylake-E until 2017...

Vash63

I'd be surprised if they drop the price regardless of Fury X benchmarks. They'd have to be a very very stark difference, which most signs pointing to them being more evenly matched. I'd say at best you'd be getting is whatever game that may be in a promotional run for the card*Arkham Knight* for example. If that's what's keeping you back, it never hurts to wait, but you could be playing games right now with stellar frame-rates.

Fury X is looking to be a good 10-15% faster on average. I'm firmly in the Nvidia camp though as I need good OpenGL drivers for Linux and bought a gsync display earlier this year, but given the performance advantage for Fury X I'd hope Nvidia drops prices to compete.

Wag

I don't think they're going to drop in price. Nvidia might add a game or two to the bundle, but that's about it.

Chris_C

@Krappadizzle, @x3sphere, thanks for the advice, this is a gaming/HTPC. I think I'll go ahead and build now then. I'll use a Core i7-5820K or a 4790k as a base, and pair it with a 980 or 980ti. My Plasma TV is only a 43inch 720p set, but I plan on using DSR at 1440p or 4K.

Fury X is looking to be a good 10-15% faster on average. I'm firmly in the Nvidia camp though as I need good OpenGL drivers for Linux and bought a gsync display earlier this year, but given the performance advantage for Fury X I'd hope Nvidia drops prices to compete.

I really hope so too. I just don't think Nvidia will do that. I think they'll take the shot on the chin and then hit hard with their next line-up. The 980 Ti already kills a Titan X as a "consumer" level high-end GPU. But I'd love to see price-drops across the board. I think GPU hardware in general is crazy expensive. It's really fuckin' fun though.

Smokey

ugh

do a complete fresh driver install using DDU as you planned. maybe try a different slot on the motherboard? if you try the 970 and everything works fine it def sounds like a RMA for you

Grassy

Damn, that sucks arse. This is what I was dreading when I ordered through Newegg, you're probably not going to get the replacement for another 3-4 weeks.

Have you tried an earlier driver? Some of your crashing issues mirror the problems a lot of people are having with the last couple of driver releases. 350.12 or even 347.88 seem to be the most stable.

You can't use earlier driver versions with 980 Ti as they don't recognize the card. I tried installing the Witcher 3 "Game ready" 352.86 drivers but it was a no-go.

Renekton

Not going to budge. Their 980Ti will still outsell by truckloads even if Fury X gets 15% price/perf advantage.

@Krappadizzle, @x3sphere, thanks for the advice, this is a gaming/HTPC. I think I'll go ahead and build now then. I'll use a Core i7-5820K or a 4790k as a base, and pair it with a 980 or 980ti. My Plasma TV is only a 43inch 720p set, but I plan on using DSR at 1440p or 4K.

On a 720p set you'll see improvements but in general the resolution doesn't push the same amount of pixels and you'd have a lot of overhead on a 980/Fury X at that resolution while only seeing marginal benefits. You'd be better off buying a 970 and putting the extra money towards a 1080p screen. Because at that resolution a 970 would max everything. That said, you'd be preparing pretty damn well for the very foreseeable future with a 980 ti, so if VR is something you may want to consider trying later, you'll have a great card for it. Most importantly you should do whatever you think is right for your budget.

On a 720p set you'll see improvements but in general the resolution doesn't push the same amount of pixels and you'd have a lot of overhead on a 980/Fury X at that resolution while only seeing marginal benefits. You'd be better off buying a 970 and putting the extra money towards a 1080p screen. Because at that resolution a 970 would max everything. That said, you'd be preparing pretty damn well for the very foreseeable future with a 980 ti, so if VR is something you may want to consider trying later, you'll have a great card for it. Most importantly you should do whatever you think is right for your budget.

They say they're going to use DSR - so they'll be rendering (internally, at least) at a much higher res, where the power will be used. You're definitely right about being ready for the future, though!

I'm actually curious how much of an impact, picture-quality wise, DSR would make on a 720p set. I love it on my 1080p screens.

Wag

Tiger Direct offers Shoprunner on some products (EVGA cards), so you get free shipping/returns on them (if you have it). Not all of them tho.

ugh

do a complete fresh driver install using DDU as you planned. maybe try a different slot on the motherboard? if you try the 970 and everything works fine it def sounds like a RMA for you

The 970 wasn't strictly problem free, it was crashing on Company of Heroes 2 on the last driver before this one. But that was more or less isolated and "mostly" fixed on latest drivers. Unfortunately not totally fixed because alt tabbing out of the game made it get stuck in stupid loops and sometimes outright crash, and other people on Nvidia cards reported the same issue. Relic!!!! It was also a Gigabyte G1 model with fancy cooler. Since the TDP is much higher on 980ti I thought it might have pushed me over a limit, but in theory a 650w PSU should be quite adequate for a 980ti + stock 4670, 1 HDD, 1 SSD, 16gb RAM.

Top Bottom