• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia announces the GTX 980 Ti | $650 £550 €605

I'm coming the realization, that even though I'm really stoked for the Fury X and what it can bring in terms of HBM memory performance and whatnot... I may still go back to the GTX 980 Ti (EVGA's SC+ ACX 2.0 version). For a few reasons, one, out of the box, it's faster than stock Titan X and can still have a good bit of room for overclocking (not huge, but enough). It's an EVGA card, which means great customer support and warranty. Free game. Plus, I wouldn't have to change things up hugely from what I have now.

mkenyon

Banned
First-time SLI user, so forgive me if I ask a stupid question here.
All of the cards can output. You could be using DP from both, with a Dual Link DVI from one as well, all at the same time. It has no effect on anything.
Looking at your setup, you would have been much better off getting 2 blower coolers as they would have moved most of the heat out the back of your case rather than circulate it around your case. I fear for the amount of heat your hard drives will be subjected to :/ ...
It's an Air 540.

Cases have come a loooooooooooooooooooong way since these types of heat conerns were around.

Mifec

All of the cards can output. You could be using DP from both, with a Dual Link DVI from one as well, all at the same time. It has no effect on anything.

It's an Air 540.

Cases have come a loooooooooooooooooooong way since these types of heat conerns were around.

It's still gonna be a lot hotter than blowers even if it's an Air 540.

paskowitz

FYI, according to Jacob (EVGA) on the EVGA forums all retailers should be getting stock of the 980 ti Hybrid next week. If you haven't placed a pre-order, you better get your F5 key ready.

x3sphere

I'm thinking about getting 2 of these.

How much are used TitanX's selling for right now? Probably can't be much more than $700...

You should still be able to get around $850 for the TX. Of course fees and shipping costs will eat into that

I don't know how the ACX cooler fares in SLI but in single card it's amazing, completely destroys Nvidia's reference solution.

I had a Titan X too, and while gaming I typically saw the TX hit 65% fan speed on auto. The ACX only hits 47% and is 5-7C cooler to boot (seeing temps of 75-77C here). And if I crank up the fan manually it's still pretty quiet and can maintain <70C temps. This is all while overclocked to 1400 MHz boost, btw.

mkenyon

Banned
It's still gonna be a lot hotter than blowers even if it's an Air 540.
What is? The ambient temperature of the case? That doesn't really matter. Also, it's unlikely to be much higher. The GPUs will certainly be cooler and run quieter than reference cards.

jiggles

Banned
I am a fucking spoon. I forgot to max out the fan speed when running my Furmark test to see my temperature overhead. No wonder it shot up to 86C so fast. It was running the default speed curve of "keep the noise down, and the temperature under 90".

I ran it again when I realised and the temps peaked at 62C for GPU1 and 50C for GPU2. So, yeah, there's no airflow problem.

I started doing some overclocking and managed to get what appeared to be a stable +175MHz core +450MHz memory. The Witcher 3 was getting a 20fps bump with everything maxed out and all options on, but 15 minutes in, my PSU tripped, so I guess 1000W ain't gonna cut it for the extra 10% power I allowed them. Back to stock for the time being, so I can see if would have happened anyway or if it was just me.

desu

but 15 minutes in, my PSU tripped, so I guess 1000W ain't gonna cut it for the extra 10% power I allowed them. Back to stock for the time being, so I can see if would have happened anyway or if it was just me.

What? What kind of hardware do you have in your system that your 1000W PSU can't handle 2x980ti o_O.

I'm hoping that I only have to wait 2 more weeks for the Classified. It's going to be hard not playing Arkham Knight while I wait. I guess I'll play some smaller indie games that I picked up during the Steam Sale.

jiggles

Banned
wuuuuuuuuuuut

what kind of CPU are you running? 8350?

A 3.5GHz i7 4770k running at 4.3GHz. I wasn't expecting it to trip at all, so I might need to monitor what's actually being drawn in case something's faulty. What's the best way to do that? Plug in electricity monitor?

I am a fucking spoon. I forgot to max out the fan speed when running my Furmark test to see my temperature overhead. No wonder it shot up to 86C so fast. It was running the default speed curve of "keep the noise down, and the temperature under 90".

I ran it again when I realised and the temps peaked at 62C for GPU1 and 50C for GPU2. So, yeah, there's no airflow problem.

I started doing some overclocking and managed to get what appeared to be a stable +175MHz core +450MHz memory. The Witcher 3 was getting a 20fps bump with everything maxed out and all options on, but 15 minutes in, my PSU tripped, so I guess 1000W ain't gonna cut it for the extra 10% power I allowed them. Back to stock for the time being, so I can see if would have happened anyway or if it was just me.
This kind of worries me a little. Is my PSU beefy enough to handle and OC two EVGA Hybrid 980ti? This is my PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182063

It will also be powering: 1 SSD, 4 7200RPM HDD's, 4770k OC'd, DVD RW drive, and as many as 9 case fans...

Do I need a new PSU?

jiggles

Banned
I think that's way more than enough, to be honest. I plugged all my components into a calculator, and I *should* have about 150-250W overhead (depending on capacitor ageing), so I'll need to do some more testing when I get home tomorrow.

It's so frustrating that I had to leave as soon as this happened.

StereoVsn

I don't think exhaust is really an issue with the case I'm using:
carbide-air-540-5-128cfpiy.jpg

Like, my whole room gets properly warm pretty quick if I'm pushing the PC with the window closed, and it's a big room. But I'll take on your advice and monitor the HDD temps over the next few weeks to see if I need to be concerned (and maybe add an exhaust fan just above the disks).

What case is this? Looks quite roomy and airy.

DBT85

Best price I've have seen, cracking deal £499.99 inc VAT

I ordered one myself today. £5 quidco cashbook on top and if I get a copy of Batman I can refund my greenmangaming one for another £21.

Waited to see the Fury X news, but at that price with the cards fairly close, I'm happy to jump on it.

Zotac have a 5 year warranty too, though apparently that void if you change the cooler, not sure how they'd know though.

Only question now is, is this a business expense or not, lol.

Grassy

A 3.5GHz i7 4770k running at 4.3GHz. I wasn't expecting it to trip at all, so I might need to monitor what's actually being drawn in case something's faulty. What's the best way to do that? Plug in electricity monitor?

What PSU do you have? I'm running sli 980 Ti's(EVGA SC) and an i7 2600K @ 4.5ghz with a 2 year-old Seasonic 850w PSU and I haven't had a problem...so far. A good 1000w PSU should be killing it. Maybe the video cards are being pushed too hard with the overclock?

Bydobob

Best price I've have seen, cracking deal £499.99 inc VAT

Good find. I was planning on sticking with my GPU for another year but prices like this sure make it hard to resist. Found one review of this card:

http://m.hexusnet/tech/reviews/graphics/84005-zotac-geforce-gtx-980-ti-amp/

Very mild factory OC but they had no trouble cranking their review card up to 1324/7840Mhz. Runs very cool under 70 degrees but with an aggressive default fan profile. We have a weekend to think about it before the price goes back up apparently.

Nothing has released that outright unseats the Titan X for people to start offloading. If Dual Fiji lands at $1,000, then maybe.

My thinking is that if I'm going to go SLI, it's pointless for me to buy another TitanX. That would require spending another $1000. But if I sell my TitanX even for $800, I can buy 2 980 TIs for $1340 for a total cost of $540. So yeah. I'm definitely going to sell the TitanX.

I've been seeing then go for anywhere between $650 and $800 on eBay. I'd be happy for $800 but I'm not expecting it. Why would you buy a used card for that price when you can get a newer, faster card for less? Unless you NEED that 12GB of VRAM...

jiggles

Banned
What case is this? Looks quite roomy and airy.

Corsair Air 540

What PSU do you have? I'm running sli 980 Ti's(EVGA SC) and an i7 2600K @ 4.5ghz with a 2 year-old Seasonic 850w PSU and I haven't had a problem...so far. A good 1000w PSU should be killing it. Maybe the video cards are being pushed too hard with the overclock?

Corsair RM1000.

So, I've gone and bought a power monitor and I'm trying to replicate the events of last night when it tripped. I can't quite stabilise the same OC yet, but so far with my testing the whole system has come in at 150W idle, 740W max load. So it's not even close to the PSU's ceiling. Bizarre.

jiggles

Banned
Still haven't been able to replicate the power failure I had, but I've settled on a much more modest OC. Bumped Heaven down to 1080p to get a comparable bench.

benchg7red.png

is dis gud

jiggles

Banned
If i wanted to sli two of those EVGA980 ti's with ACX 2.0 cooler , what amount of watt would i need at minimum ?

Mine has reached a draw of 740W when it was pushing everything so to give yourself a little headroom, I'd say 800W at the very least

paskowitz

Mine has reached a draw of 740W when it was pushing everything so to give yourself a little headroom, I'd say 800W at the very least

It will probably be a while from now (if ever) but I am running a 4790k (on Z87) and have a 850W EVGA SN G2 PSU. I assume 850W would probably not be enough for two 980 ti hybrids at high oc's with the 4790k pushing 1.33v and a 4.9 oc?

Afro

EVGA 980ti SC+ on its way! My first true enthusiast card.

The ol' 970 FTW+ was a beast of a card, but GTA V at 1080p w/ FXAA and dull-ass "softer" shadows just wasn't cutting it. Game looked pretty unremarkable w/ those settings in order to maintain a solid 60fps.

Anyway, 1440p + MSAA + high res PCSS shadows awaits. Good bye aliasing, never again.

Anyway, 1440p + MSAA + high res PCSS shadows awaits. Good bye aliasing, never again.

I assure you that in games without MSAA, you're still going to get aliasing at 2560x1440.

SMAA\FXAA can help to an extent but.... they're just post processing solutions =(

Because two aftermarket coolers will turn your PC into a Turkish bathhouse. In that case two reference blowers will be superior.

I still feel all of this is relative to the case used and the air flow allowed.

I'm running 2 Gigabyte Windforce cooler 780s right now and about to upgrade to the 9xx series in an sli setup and I have yet to have my top card run any hotter than 74C with the fan profile I have setup (76% fan speed at this point), and the bottom card tops out around 67C. This is with both cards overclocked and running close to 1330Mhz with boost, and my 3570k at 4.2Ghz never getting hotter than 66C on air with a Hyper 212 Evo.

I use a 60mm bridge as there is space between the cards on my board, but in situations like that I honestly have no issues recommending aftermarket cooler solutions and prefer to do so myself as even with the air getting dumped in the case, the cooling solutions keep the cards at better temps and with much better noise signatures and overall lower sound levels compared to reference designs.

Jumpman

I still feel all of this is relative to the case used and the air flow allowed.

I'm running 2 Gigabyte Windforce cooler 780s right now and about to upgrade to the 9xx series in an sli setup and I have yet to have my top card run any hotter than 74C with the fan profile I have setup (76% fan speed at this point), and the bottom card tops out around 67C. This is with both cards overclocked and running close to 1330Mhz with boost, and my 3570k at 4.2Ghz never getting hotter than 66C on air with a Hyper 212 Evo.

I use a 60mm bridge as there is space between the cards on my board, but in situations like that I honestly have no issues recommending aftermarket cooler solutions and prefer to do so myself as even with the air getting dumped in the case, the cooling solutions keep the cards at better temps and with much better noise signatures and overall lower sound levels compared to reference designs.

Yeah the 'gotta use reference if sli' mantra is overused. If you have no spacing or terrible airflow, blower style coolers come in handy. But in any case with decent airflow, and in any scenario where you have space between the 2 cards, things will be fine. We're not running GTX 480's anymore guyz. :p

Yeah the 'gotta use reference if sli' mantra is overused. If you have no spacing or terrible airflow, blower style coolers come in handy. But in any case with decent airflow, and in any scenario where you have space between the 2 cards, things will be fine. We're not running GTX 480's anymore guyz. :p

I had GTX 470 SLI. Felt bad man. So much heat, so much power consumption.

I still have those cards sitting in a closet. I'm a single GPU user now.

paskowitz

I'm building a single 980Ti gaming system soon.

Are any of the 980Ti (Brand, Aftermarket Coolers) better than the others?

In general, EVGA, Asus, MSI and Gigabyte are the "best" brands. Zotac and Galax are also good (just not as common). A lot of people like EVGA for their warranties, support and step up program.

In terms of specific card, it depends on your build. If you are doing a mini ITX build, then the EVGA 980 ti Hybrid is probably your best bet. Built in water cooler and blower would be ideal for a small build. It would also be ideal if you plan on doing SLI. You could go with a reference card (any brand really) and slap on a GPU cooling bracket with a 3rd party cooler, but I don't think the ~$20 saved will be worth the effort. I currently have one on order.

If you have a lot of room in your case (ATX), the Gigabyte G1 is the best card available right now. I personally do not expect the MSI Gaming 6G to perform significantly better (it is also a couple weeks away for the US). I have an MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G and it's a solid card. Asus's Strix card is another one to look out for, but I do not think we have gotten an ETA for release.

If you want to wait, the MSI 980 Ti LIghtning, EVGA Classified, Asus Matrix Platinum and Zotax AMP! Extreme are likely to be the best custom PCB cards. All of those cards should push 1500-1600 Mhz on the boost clock with relative ease when overclocked. With that said, these cards are only really worth it if you plan on heavily overclocking. Their price to performance ratio is also likely debatable (expect >$800). And you are probably going to have to wait until at least this September.

I wonder how much longer it will be until reviews start coming out for the Fury X?

The rest of my parts will buy here in a couple of days and I don't want to have to wait too long to start building my new pc.

I'm really tempted to get a Gigabyte G1 980 Ti. It has all the connectors I need so I wouldn't need to buy any extra cables.

I really only care about the performance difference these cards will have at 1080p which is what I'll be playing at. I see that the 980 Ti is above 60 in most games.

Top Bottom