• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia announces the GTX 980 Ti | $650 £550 €605

Wag

98IRH5DHF7HF-2T.jpg

http://www.galaxstore.net/GALAX-NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-980-Ti-HOF-6GB-p/98irh5dhf7hf.htm

This could be my next card. If it's as awesome as it seems I don't mind waiting a bit for it. How's Galax cards in general? How's their warranty? Extra long PCB, hope there's room in my case for at least 2 of them.

Chris_C

On a 720p set you'll see improvements but in general the resolution doesn't push the same amount of pixels and you'd have a lot of overhead on a 980/Fury X at that resolution while only seeing marginal benefits. You'd be better off buying a 970 and putting the extra money towards a 1080p screen. Because at that resolution a 970 would max everything. That said, you'd be preparing pretty damn well for the very foreseeable future with a 980 ti, so if VR is something you may want to consider trying later, you'll have a great card for it. Most importantly you should do whatever you think is right for your budget.

Yup, VR is definitely on the agenda. I was considering a 4K TV, but after drooling all over the sets in the store, I came back home, watched Tintin on Bluray on my plasma and decided the picture quality is plenty good enough. I just wish it was 20 inches larger
(that's what she said!)

I'm actually curious how much of an impact, picture-quality wise, DSR would make on a 720p set. I love it on my 1080p screens.

Curious about this myself.

I've watched the temps now for a few days and under load it's 80+ C regulary in GPUZ (not OC), I don't have any problems whatsoever but I still want to ask, are you pros here getting worried when seeing temps like that? Is it adviseable to increase fan speed manually to lower temps (how do I even do that?)
Am I worrying too much?

Seanspeed

Banned
I've watched the temps now for a few days and under load it's 80+ C regulary in GPUZ (not OC), I don't have any problems whatsoever but I still want to ask, are you pros here getting worried when seeing temps like that? Is it adviseable to increase fan speed manually to lower temps (how do I even do that?)
Am I worrying too much?
80C is getting 'up there'. If it's going a fair bit above that, like into the mid 80's, I'd probably look at adjusting the fan curve to increase speed above the 65-70C range slightly(done with MSI Afterburner pretty easily), just for ease of mind. I wouldn't start getting properly concerned unless you're hitting 90C or above.

80C is getting 'up there'. If it's going a fair bit above that, like into the mid 80's, I'd probably look at adjusting the fan curve to increase speed above the 65-70C range slightly(done with MSI Afterburner pretty easily), just for ease of mind. I wouldn't start getting properly concerned unless you're hitting 90C or above.

Do I have to start MSI Afterburner everytime to adjust the fanspeed or is there a permanent solution so the fan always goes to higher rpm when using the card? (I have no problems with fan noise)

If you want to not use any software overclocking tools, you have to mod your BIOS

Ah, ok. I thought there was maybe a setting somewhere where I can set it permanently via software (Nvidia Control Center or something) but it's no big deal, I'm not very compfortable changing settings in BIOS. I think I will go buy another fan for the case (only have one atm) and then try out the MSI tool.

KHlover

Banned
Anyone here who can give me impressions of the Inno3D GeForce GTX 980 iChill X4 Air Boss? Found a used one for a pretty good price on ebay (450€, bill included) and reviews I've read so far all were very positive, but of course some second opinions can't hurt :D

Jumpman

Am I worrying too much?

This is an absolutely normal temp. The card is designed to run at these temperatures during extended gaming sessions. The default fan will serve you fine, don't worry about it at all.

Setting a higher fan curve in MSI afterburner is easy to do. You do it and don't have to think about it any more. But even with a much more aggressive fan curve you'd be lucky to shave more than 5 degrees off of your default temperature behavior. And at that point, you'd have to ask yourself if it was even worth it. Keep in mind your GPU was designed to hit the temps you are hitting. Running cooler could add some unmeasurable amount of chip life. Like one month on a 10 year life cycle or something. At the same time, running a constant faster fan will wear out your fan faster. Still negligable, but faster than the gpu, that's for sure. That's the long of it. In short I simply say stick with the default fan unless you're overvolting and need the extra cooling to stay below boost throttling temps.

Fury X is looking to be a good 10-15% faster on average. I'm firmly in the Nvidia camp though as I need good OpenGL drivers for Linux and bought a gsync display earlier this year, but given the performance advantage for Fury X I'd hope Nvidia drops prices to compete.

I don't know where you guys are getting 10-15% better on average.

Even AMD own benchmarks made at 4k medium settings show usually 5-10% gains and that should be best case scenario.

Rolfgang

I don't know where you guys are getting 10-15% better on average.

Even AMD own benchmarks made at 4k medium settings show usually 5-10% gains and that should be best case scenario.

It will all depend on overclocking capabilities, which will be more clear on the 24th (?) when the embargo is lifted.

This is an absolutely normal temp. The card is designed to run at these temperatures during extended gaming sessions. The default fan will serve you fine, don't worry about it at all.

Setting a higher fan curve in MSI afterburner is easy to do. You do it and don't have to think about it any more. But even with a much more aggressive fan curve you'd be lucky to shave more than 5 degrees off of your default temperature behavior. And at that point, you'd have to ask yourself if it was even worth it. Keep in mind your GPU was designed to hit the temps you are hitting. Running cooler could add some unmeasurable amount of chip life. Like one month on a 10 year life cycle or something. At the same time, running a constant faster fan will wear out your fan faster. Still negligable, but faster than the gpu, that's for sure. That's the long of it. In short I simply say stick with the default fan unless you're overvolting and need the extra cooling to stay below boost throttling temps.

Thanks for the input, it's not easy getting information on that (regular temps).

mintylurb

Question for those who have oc'd their 980 ti cards.
Did you guys up the power limit/power target to achieve your core/memory oc?
My evga sc ti is coming today and wondering if I should tinker with the power limit/power target setting.

IMACOMPUTA

Really happy with my 980ti. Went from a 780ti, and while that mostly suited me (1440p), there were hiccups and settings I couldn't max in the Witcher 3 and GTAV. Not anymore! (Well, TW3 isn't compleeeeeetely maxed :/ )

Really happy with my 980ti. Went from a 780ti, and while that mostly suited me (1440p), there were hiccups and settings I couldn't max in the Witcher 3 and GTAV. Not anymore! (Well, TW3 isn't compleeeeeetely maxed :/ )
Dam at 1440p!Cant wait to build my gaming pc this summer! GTX 980 ti will be mine =)

Wag

The water cooled version of that looks unbelievable and Galax has a good reputation.

GALAX-GeForce-GTX-980-Ti-HOF-EX-WC_PCB_1-635x439.jpg

god dam 3x8 pin

Yeah, the water cooled one looks awesome but it's $900 so forget it. I'd rather just pay $700 for the air cooled board. It looks nice, it's just really long. Custom PCB.

Nice. Got the MSI Gaming 6G coming end of this week hopefully.

Wag

According to Kyle over at HardForum, Galax has a dubious rep here in North America. I don't think I'm going to bother.

Waikis

I did underclock by 50hz on both mem and graphics but haven't extensively tested it. The Witcher 3 seems very choppy sometimes, like the framerate is sticking in the 40-65 range and I'm using G-sync but it feels awful sometimes, still stuttering or something? This may be related to borderless-windowed which the game keeps reverting to for some reason, assuming G-sync does not yet support borderless windowed. But in any case, frustrating. It got real bad when I underclocked it but that may have been a coincidence.

:(

Yes, the choppiness is caused by borderless-windowed, it also happens with my gsync setup.
For some reasons, my SLI also doesn't kick in if W3 is running on borderless-windowed.

Batman: Arkham Knight runs very well on my Gigabyte G1 Gaming. Good choice of free game by Nvidia I guess.

All settings maxed, Gameworks on, 4K resolution. Nice and smooth for the most part at the game's default 30 fps locked framerate, it's definitely a good showcase for what sort of 4K gaming a single GPU user can do in 2015. It's not even using 100% GPU at the locked framerate, which is actually kind of hilarious.

Batman: Arkham Knight runs very well on my Gigabyte G1 Gaming. Good choice of free game by Nvidia I guess.

All settings maxed, Gameworks on, 4K resolution. Nice and smooth for the most part at the game's default 30 fps locked framerate, it's definitely a good showcase for what sort of 4K gaming a single GPU user can do in 2015. It's not even using 100% GPU at the locked framerate, which is actually kind of hilarious.

I've had similar experiences with the TitanX. But I haven't gotten far enough to use the batmobile yet, and apparently that's where some frame drops happen.

Newegg is taking all week to deliver the 980TI. Won't get here til Saturday :(

I sent my card on Thursday for Step Up and today (Tuesday) they still didn't receive it. Now I have to find the receipt to check on Tracking. My parents went to Vegas over the weekend, I should have given it to them to mail from there since it's like 1 state away. Probably would have been cheaper and faster. Oh well. Hope they get it within the next couple of days. I'm itching to play my PC like crazy!

Can anyone recommend me a particular thin/slim mini ITX cases other than the Silverstone RVZ01?

I'd like something I could fit in luggage easily.

:)

Havel

I want to , but just on air , no watercooling .

Thinking of getting the Gigabyte 980 ti G1.

CobZanJ.jpg

Yeah, that is a really good one to get. You get at least 10+fps compared to the stock Ti (on most games), plus tons of overclocking room and good cooling. I have the 980 version of it, and it really is great.

Soi-Fong

Yeah, that is a really good one to get. You get at least 10+fps compared to the stock Ti (on most games), plus tons of overclocking room and good cooling. I have the 980 version of it, and it really is great.

Is it actually in stock now? Fuck.. I'm still debating whether to just wait for the next set of cards, since I really just want to make a whole new rig for the Vive and Oculus.

Like, I'm pretty sure it's gonna be a step up from my 780 Ti, but I'm not sure if it's exactly worth it.

Durante

Well Arkham Knight on PC is a disgrace, they totally fumbled the port and even on a 980ti it runs bad.
I haven't played (nor do I have any intention of playing) Batman, but this report seems very different from what you are saying:

Mifec

I haven't played (nor do I have any intention of playing) Batman, but this report seems very different from what you are saying:

Check the performance thread. It still has insane framedrops, has no AO and so on. Has memory leaks that use up most of the 980ti's memory.

It works okay for me. The Batman PC performance thread is huge and full of disaster stories though. Now there are videos saying the PC version seems to lack AO, I've played for a few hours but couldn't notice if there was AO or not if my life depended on it. YMMV is of course the slogan of PC gaming.

Just got an email from EVGA telling me the 980ti Hybrid is available. Click on the link to go to the website, and all it says is "Auto-notify".

Damn.

Top Bottom