• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia announces the GTX 980 Ti | $650 £550 €605

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Seeing the right up and review between the non-reference cards oh boy

MSI OR GIGABYTE ? I have a 780t here waiting to be inserted by my parts and since i'm taking the whole hard drive bays and onlu running all ssd's i think mine is gonna fit really well
Just buy the G1 from newegg eBay store above a few posts before it goes out of stock imo.

i was able to do some testing with the g1 980ti. in actual games its not faster than my titan x despite clocking higher and never having power limits drop clocks. the g1 runs stable and never drops from 1477. my titan will power throttle down to the low 1300s. memory ocs identically on both. something doesnt add up. my testing doesnt reflect these reviews at all. its faster in 3dmark, but slower in bf4 and witcher 3 so far.

TheCrow

Yeah, my OCed EVGA 980 Ti is boosting to 1530. Insanity. Temps have yet to go above 70 degrees Celsius.

highfive.gif
1530 boost bros!

matmanx1

Installed my new EVGA 980Ti ACX SC+ last night. It is my first new GPU in 4+ years as I have been running a Gigabyte Radeon 6970 since early 2011.

I am impressed with the look, the build quality, the quiet operation and most of all, the performance. Playing The Witcher 3 with everything turned on Ultra and all of the Nvidia specific features enabled at 1080p at or near 60fps is quite fantastic.

There are no cons in regards to cooling for the other cards because the EVGA is apparently the only one that received a thermal imaging test. Furthermore, the image even acknowledges that the results are likely due to the backplate not doing it's advertised job. The backplate only comes on that model.
Techpowerup Review: EVGA SC+ temperatures
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/EVGA/GTX_980_Ti_SC_Plus/34.html
Idle: 54c
Load: 76c
OC: 77c

Techpowerup Review: Gigabit G1 temperatures
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Gigabyte/GTX_980_Ti_G1_Gaming/34.html
Idle: 48c
Load: 70c
OC: 71c

They have yet to review the MSi or Strix.
Should we revisit this once they have?

07/01/2015 12:50 A.M. Out For Delivery (past midnight? haha)

AHHHHHHHHHH

The only downside is I'm waiting until the PG279Q to experience 1440p/144Hz but oh well! 1080p max settings is good enough for me until then :D

Installed my new EVGA 980Ti ACX SC+ last night. It is my first new GPU in 4+ years as I have been running a Gigabyte Radeon 6970 since early 2011.

I am impressed with the look, the build quality, the quiet operation and most of all, the performance. Playing The Witcher 3 with everything turned on Ultra and all of the Nvidia specific features enabled at 1080p at or near 60fps is quite fantastic.

I'm glad man!!

I haven't updated my card since 2011 as well, with a GTX 580. So stoked to receive my non SC 980 Ti today and mess with OC'ing for the first time

TheCrow

highfive.gif
Hell yeah brother! Can't wait to get my second card from my Step Up... Crossing my fingers that I can get as lucky as I did with my first card on OCing.

I'm jelly. Don't think I'll do sli with this card, probably will when the next gen comes out. By then I should be rocking a 4k monitor so It will make more sense. Right now I'm only at 1080p at 144hz. I primarily got the 980ti because I want to be ready for VR. Using 4k DSR will have to do for now.

Qassim

I was going to wait it out on my two 780s but something came over me today and I ordered a 980Ti - that MSI one above. Should be coming tomorrow.

Question about OCing. Why is it that some people can OC more than others, for the exact same card?? I don't get that. And how do you know what your card's limit is? I'm assuming it's based on tempurature for your limit based on feedback I've received previously

Zaph

Question about OCing. Why is it that some people can OC more than others, for the exact same card?? I don't get that. And how do you know what your card's limit is?

Not all silicon is created equal. Some areas of the wafer will simply produce chips of a higher quality compared to other areas. Manufacturers compensate for this by 'binning' chips - testing them themselves and assigning better performing ones to a range of cards aimed at overclockers.

You know your card's limit by creeping up your overclock and stress testing it. Once you encounter problems, you dial back a bit and then you have your limit.

I ended up with evga because of my good experiences with them.

I'm not here for benchmark wars so a couple of fps is fine for peace of mind.

While their step up program is hit n miss, their support and RMA process is gold standard.

Qassim

Question about OCing. Why is it that some people can OC more than others, for the exact same card?? I don't get that. And how do you know what your card's limit is? I'm assuming it's based on tempurature for your limit based on feedback I've received previously

Not all processors are manufactured equal, it's just the nature of the industry - some parts aren't as capable as others. Take a look at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Product_binning

So I got a HP PC with 680GTX and it's starting to show its age. Before I bite the bullet on this baby I just want to make sure that it will work with my PC.
This is what I got atm: http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=c03446546

I think it works out but I would feel alot more comfortable if someone a bit more computer savvy could give me the tumbs up!

I just upgraded from a GTX 680 to a GTX 980 ti myself, so I can tell you three things to be mindful of. First, you need to make sure you have enough space, as the 980 ti will be slightly larger than the 680 (how much varies by manufacturer). Second, you need to make sure your power supply is up to snuff; probably figure at least 50 W above the recommended PSU to run a 680, and that's assuming you keep the 980 ti at stock clocks. Looks like that rig has a 600W PSU, which should be fine. Third, make sure you have the right power connectors. My 680 had two 6-pin connections; my 980 ti has two 8-pin connections. But I got one of the OC 980 ti models; stock models I believe are one 6-pin and one 8-pin. As long as you've got the space and the power connectors, I'd say you're fine to pull the trigger. And believe me when I say that it is a very sizable upgrade.

DBT85

My card came with adapters to convert from 6 pin to 8 pin, as well as another to convert molex to 8 pin. Just so you know!

Seems my Zotac Amp is quite content at 1420/2025 at stock volts, UK doesn't want to go higher even with added voltage.

It's been 36c here today which might not have helped, but it just didn't want to go further.

Watercooling in month or so so maybe that'll give me a little, but I'm happy there!

The Goat

Received my EVGA 980Ti ACX SC+ from Newegg! Can't wait to see what this thing can do. Upgrading from a 680 GTX ref board. I'm expecting big things. My only real worry was my 2600K, but that doesn't seem to bottle neck the card whatsoever.

Thus begins my slow PC rebuild. Plan to have all new parts by September / October.

Wandering Ronin

Neo Member
Received my EVGA 980Ti ACX SC+ from Newegg! Can't wait to see what this thing can do. Upgrading from a 680 GTX ref board. I'm expecting big things. My only real worry was my 2600K, but that doesn't seem to bottle neck the card whatsoever.

Thus begins my slow PC rebuild. Plan to have all new parts by September / October.

You are in for a treat man. I came from 680 x2 SLI setup to a single ref 980ti. The difference was insane. I then went and put a LC module on it and over clocked around 200/300 and it was faster without any change in temp. This card is a beast!

Wag

I don't know why people are paying the extra $20 for the SC version of the ACX when the standard version of the card overclocks just as well. It's not like the SC version comes with a huge overclock or they're better cards either.

I don't know why people are paying the extra $20 for the SC version of the ACX when the standard version of the card overclocks just as well. It's not like the SC version comes with a huge overclock or they're better cards either.

You are assuming everyone who buys these cards is going to overclock them. Some people just want a factory overclocked card and over the stock card and leave it at that.

Wag

You are assuming everyone who buys these cards is going to overclock them. Some people just want a factory overclocked card and over the stock card and leave it at that.

Yeah, but the SC version of the card has such a small overclock it hardly even matters- not worth the $20.

Has anyone ever lucked out with those "notify me when available" buttons that sites have when an item is out of stock? That's never worked for me.

Has anyone ever lucked out with those "notify me when available" buttons that sites have when an item is out of stock? That's never worked for me.

The way it works is..... there's a queue. Let's say 900 people click "notify me" and the site gets 300 in stock. They send out 300 emails (or sometimes maybe only 90%) to those who were first in line.

It can take a while for your number to be called depending on how far down the list you are and how slowly they get stock of that item.

I've never found them to be very useful. You can still get that email and find out you were too slow.... and clicking the button again will put you at the bottom of the list.

(I implement these systems into e-commerce stores all the time)

The way it works is..... there's a queue. Let's say 900 people click "notify me" and the site gets 300 in stock. They send out 300 emails (or sometimes maybe only 90%) to those who were first in line.

It can take a while for your number to be called depending on how far down the list you are and how slowly they get stock of that item.

I've never found them to be very useful. You can still get that email and find out you were too slow.... and clicking the button again will put you at the bottom of the list.

(I implement these systems into e-commerce stores all the time)

In other words, useless. Just as I thought.

Zaph

I've found they're usually bound to a significant delay (possibly caching reasons?) and/or sent at scheduled intervals - so basically useless when you're up against enthusiasts posting on forums and tiny stock allocations.

Fezan

980ti price here in Saudi Arabia and dubai is $950. Looks like I'll have to wait before I make my dream machine

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Got the MSI 980 GTX Ti gaming. So far it's handling everything I'm throwing at it at 1080p easily. At 4k it very much depends. Arkham Knight 4k is no problem with the 30fps lock in place, haven't tried uncapping it yet though.

Top Bottom